Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Funny you should say that about Breakfast as I have Tuesday's ratings here.

BBC Breakfast - 1.59m/37.4%
    Good Morning Britain - 0.59m/14.5%

Breakfast doing better since GMB started. GMB generating web hits with news but not ratings.
    Poor ratings for Good Morning Britain, down at Daybreak levels. Getting absolutely hammered by BBC breakfast. As I said before it launched, GMB was always destined to flop. The BBC Breakfast viewers are loyal, they wont budge. The radio listeners are into a habit of listening so wont turn back to tv. GMB had nowhere to go, it's a big fat flop and Susanna Reid has ended up destorying her career.
    Bushmills wrote: »
    ITV's daytime shocker continues....

Kyle - 1.2m
    This Morning - 800,000
    Loose Women - 700,000
    Lunchtime News - 700,000
    Jo Frost's Family Matters - 400,000 (6.3 per cent share!!!)
    Dickinson's Real Deal - 800,000
    Ejector Seat - 900,000
    O'Grady - 1.4m (vs Pointless, with 3.2m)
    An absolute horror show from Loose Women onwards. Jo Frost Matters joins the recent long list of Itv daytime failures with an atrocious rating. Just cannot understand why they dont simply go with a schedule of:

09.25 Jeremy Kyle
    10.30 This Morning
    12.30 Itv Lunchtime News
    13.00 Paul OGrady Show / Michael Ball Show / Loose Women [all in rotation]
    14.00 Dickinsons Real Deal / Secret Dealers / another auctioning show [all in rotation]
    15.00 Wheel Of Fortune / Price Is Right / Civilian Family Fortunes [all in rotation]
    16.00 Tipping Point [all year round inc rpts]
    17.00 The Chase [all year round inc rpts]

That would rate so much better.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comprehensive round up Bushmills! How is BBC1 daytime doing in comparison to ITV?

And do you have Wednesday's Breakfast/GMB ratings?

Will post BBC daytime ratings later when i have more time.

As for Wednesday's early morning battle....

BBC Breaksfast - 1.5m (36.6%)
    GMB - 600,000 (14.8%)
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Yep...

BBC2
    Horizon - 900,000

C4
    Heston 's GB Food - 900,000 (1m)

C5
    Trauma Doctors - 1.3m (1.4m)
    Nice performance by Trauma Doctors.

I like this show, it's really interesting and well made.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Poor ratings for Good Morning Britain, down at Daybreak levels. Getting absolutely hammered by BBC breakfast. As I said before it launched, GMB was always destined to flop. The BBC Breakfast viewers are loyal, they wont budge. The radio listeners are into a habit of listening so wont turn back to tv. GMB had nowhere to go, it's a big fat flop.

Common ground between you and Andy23 for once (although you're both saying it for different reasons).

The truth is that a significant number of BBC Breakfast viewers WILL budge, but only if ITV gives them a decent alternative. It hasn't managed to actually do that for about five years.
  • Options
    kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you should say that about Breakfast as I have Tuesday's ratings here.

BBC Breakfast - 1.59m/37.4%
    Good Morning Britain - 0.59m/14.5%

Breakfast doing better since GMB started. GMB generating web hits with news but not ratings.

Holby City having one of its lowest ratings in weeks. Was the Thursday move promoted? Pound Shop Wars did better.

Holby's move to Thursday was mentioned at the end of the previous week's episode, and I think mentioned before Eastenders on Tuesday night. So, I think they did as much as could be expected signposting the move
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Breaking news: Channel5 has axed Eddie Stobart

The last series was watched by 6million different viewers.
    Not breaking when it's in the programme description for the start of the final series tonight. :p

Not really a surprise either. It was surprising that it took off in the first place and they had a good run with it, helped along by Harry Hill's TV Burp at one stage. But the last series they did was by far the lowest rated and given the audience profile is rather downmarket it was always going to be vulnerable when the Total People figure dipped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Common ground between you and Andy23 for once (although you're both saying it for different reasons).

The truth is that a significant number of BBC Breakfast viewers WILL budge, but only if ITV gives them a decent alternative. It hasn't managed to actually do that for about five years.
    No no no, BBC Breakfast viewers will now not budge. If youve been watching BBC Breakfast for 3+ years, which is 95% of its viewers, why on earth would you suddenly decide to stop watching it and revert to Itv's alternatives which inherently has adverts, phone in competitions, wheel of fortune game, more showbiz news etc? You simply wouldnt - it's common sense. Unless BBC Breakfast becomes really really bad and starts introducing much more gossip/showbiz news and a huge scandal happens, there is no way a viewer of BBC Breakfast will want to tune over to another alternative. Especially if youre an older 60+ yo viewer, the Itv alternative is simply unsatisfactory. The war has been lost, the viewers have moved to the BBC and in this day and age, they arent going to move back. This isnt the 80s we live in with just 3 channels and audiences potentially moving from one to another channel in their droves - its the 2010s - once youre into a habit and routine, you aint gonna budge. Itvs breakfast show is now a lost cause, they can revamp it as many times as they want, they can become a clone of BBC breakfast if they want or be the complete opposite of BBC breakfast, they can go upmarket or downmarket, they can have one sofa or three chairs, they can have two presenters or four, they can have graphics along the bottom or no graphics there - it doesnt matter either way, viewers arent going to switch. The damage has been done.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Can someone let George S know re GMB as he thinks it's now the news leader:D

The ITV breakfast situation hasn't improved at all since the launch of GMB in fact it seems to have handed some viewers to the BBC (or have they come from Sky ?)

Spending a fortune to get the same ratings you had before isn't good for GMB. The majority of any audience increase they have won't be from Breakfast. They'll need to get them from other places.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote 2014: 1.02m (25.8%)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will post BBC daytime ratings later when i have more time.

As for Wednesday's early morning battle....

BBC Breaksfast - 1.5m (36.6%)
    GMB - 600,000 (14.8%)

Thanks Bushmills.

The day after the presenters were high fiving themselves for asking Ed Miliband a 'killer' question on the price of his weekly shop, getting clips all over the media, promoting it in trailers. It didn't budge the ratings at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Bushmills.

The day after the presenters were high fiving themselves for asking Ed Miliband a 'killer' question on the price of his weekly shop, getting clips all over the media, promoting it in trailers. It didn't budge the ratings at all.
    Nothing will budge the GMB ratings besides seasonal weather and snow. They could have the Queen appear in an exclusive once in a decade interview on it revealing that she is going to abdicate herself, and yet BBC Breakast would still beat it. They could have the potential new Prime Minister the morning after next year's General Election with an exclusive interview, and Breakfast will still have twice as many viewers as GMB. There could be a BBC News strike with interupted BBC Breakfast programming and repeats of Bargain Hunt early in the morning and yet Good Morning Britain still wouldnt be able to average 1m.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Thanks. This is for 23:40-26:00 of course. I was hoping for a million but thought it would fall short. Great share, holding on to almost all of Question Time's 26.6% for 140 further minutes*. :)

* and, one would think, the share was pretty high from 26:00-27:30 (2.00-3.30am) too!
    Nothing will budge the GMB ratings besides seasonal weather and snow. They could have the Queen appear in an exclusive once in a decade interview on it revealing that she is going to abdicate herself, and yet BBC Breakast would still beat it.

Sounds painful :D
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep...

BBC1
    TOS - 3.6m
    EE - 6.8m (34.5 per cent)
    Holby - 4.2m
    From There To Here - 4.5m
    News - 4.7m
    Question Time - 3.2m

ITV
    Emmerdale - 5.7m (6m)
    Harry Potter/Deathly Hallows - 2.6m (3.1m)
    News at Ten - 1.5m

BBC2
    GB Menu - 2m
    Chelsea Flower Show - 2.4m
    Horizon - 900,000
    QI - 900,000
    Newsnigt - 500,000

C4
    Posh Pawn - 1.5m (1.7m)
    Heston 's GB Food - 900,000 (1m)
    8 / 10 Cats Does Countdown - 800,000 (1m)

C5
    Police Interceptors - 500,000 (600,000)
    Beware Cowboy Builders - 800,000 (ditto)
    Trauma Doctors - 1.3m (1.4m)
    Person of Interest - 700,000 (ditto)

BBC Breakfast - 1.6m
    GMB - 600,000

ITV's daytime shocker continues....

Kyle - 1.2m
    This Morning - 800,000
    Loose Women - 700,000
    Lunchtime News - 700,000

Ejector Seat - 900,000

Harry Potter rating hopefully means this will be the last time its in primetime. Stupid schedulers

ITV daytime is stinking. Seriously some one needs to cut their losses and start appealing to the OAP's more who might boost their ratings. That is two flops they've had in the 2pm slot.

Swap Loose Women with the lunchtime news, get a head start on BBC News at One, then you might actually get a boost to news.

Paul O' Grady is down quite a bit on last year - although he was in Autumn season then, but still the shares have been poor.

GMB doing poorly still, no boost, but then they still have crap within it - i.e. competitions, Richard Arnold, Roos King etc. Will they ever learn?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member

Kyle - 1.2m
    This Morning - 800,000
    Loose Women - 700,000
    Lunchtime News - 700,000
    Ejector Seat - 900,000

Is Jo Frost being beaten by ITV2s Jeremy Kyle repeat, do you know? My memory seems to think it does about 500k in the afternoon.

ITV need to completely rethink daytime. Even This Morning seems to be stalling.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor ratings for Good Morning Britain, down at Daybreak levels. Getting absolutely hammered by BBC breakfast. As I said before it launched, GMB was always destined to flop. The BBC Breakfast viewers are loyal, they wont budge. The radio listeners are into a habit of listening so wont turn back to tv. GMB had nowhere to go, it's a big fat flop and Susanna Reid has ended up destorying her career.

An absolute horror show from Loose Women onwards. Jo Frost Matters joins the recent long list of Itv daytime failures with an atrocious rating. Just cannot understand why they dont simply go with a schedule of:

09.25 Jeremy Kyle
    10.30 This Morning
    12.30 Itv Lunchtime News
    13.00 Paul OGrady Show / Michael Ball Show / Loose Women [all in rotation]
    14.00 Dickinsons Real Deal / Secret Dealers / another auctioning show [all in rotation]
    15.00 Wheel Of Fortune / Price Is Right / Civilian Family Fortunes [all in rotation]
    16.00 Tipping Point [all year round inc rpts]
    17.00 The Chase [all year round inc rpts]

That would rate so much better.

For once I agree with you. That schedule would do so much better than what it is doing now.

This is going to be year ITV need to learn from. Make some big changes to the entire schedule, freshen it up, move things around.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry Potter rating hopefully means this will be the last time its in primetime. Stupid schedulers

It is, ITV's rights runout at the end of the month. :)
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 263k for Tyger Takes On... On BBC3 last night, poor rating worse than Tom Daley on ITV2 I think?

The McBusted Doc has been solid if not spectacular for ITV2 at ~500k, Celeb Juice dipping but it was just a recap special.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »

Is this a fact or one of those fanciful myths entirely invented to fit the facts by this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ITV can get a significant number of viewers at breakfast for launch shows but don't keep them, even then it still doesn't take that many from Breakfast. GMB is far better than Daybreak and is a good alternative. But large numbers watch Breakfast because they like it.
    No no no, BBC Breakfast viewers will now not budge. If youve been watching BBC Breakfast for 3+ years, which is 95% of its viewers, why on earth would you suddenly decide to stop watching it and revert to Itv's alternatives which inherently has adverts, phone in competitions, wheel of fortune game, more showbiz news etc? You simply wouldnt - it's common sense. Unless BBC Breakfast becomes really really bad and starts introducing much more gossip/showbiz news and a huge scandal happens, there is no way a viewer of BBC Breakfast will want to tune over to another alternative. Especially if youre an older 60+ yo viewer, the Itv alternative is simply unsatisfactory. The war has been lost, the viewers have moved to the BBC and in this day and age, they arent going to move back. This isnt the 80s we live in with just 3 channels and audiences potentially moving from one to another channel in their droves - its the 2010s - once youre into a habit and routine, you aint gonna budge. Itvs breakfast show is now a lost cause, they can revamp it as many times as they want, they can become a clone of BBC breakfast if they want or be the complete opposite of BBC breakfast, they can go upmarket or downmarket, they can have one sofa or three chairs, they can have two presenters or four, they can have graphics along the bottom or no graphics there - it doesnt matter either way, viewers arent going to switch. The damage has been done.

Breakfast would need to implode and become EXTREMELY shit for large numbers to ditch it. It's still a good programme with a good mix of stories and personalities. GMB has some good journalism but they can't shake their tabloid roots and bung in celebrity drivel that drives me away. Then if they make it too serious they will lose the audience that prefers the lighter GMB over BBC Breakfast.

They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. And many of the problems on GMB and ITV at breakfast in general were self inflicted.

They never should have taken on Susanna Reid, signed in the hope she'd bring some BBC Breakfast viewers with her. She may have done but nowhere near enough. They put her front and centre of all the promotional imagery so can't moan if the media fixated on her about the ratings.

A programme that says it's wrong to focus on her looks then does a feature on her making the FHM list.....which they then put on their website and tweet a link to!

Watching Good Morning America, but not closely enough to see that they don't have 4 presenters talking at the start of the show.

Sean Fletcher being billed as a main presenter when he is missing in action for most of the programme.

Treating celebrity fluff as a main headline and story.

None of that appeals to BBC Breakfast viewers but will to an alternative audience.

There is a level of smugness that permeates through the GMB production team on Twitter. They need to stop focusing on Breakfast and do their own show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are the Potter films going back to Sky again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Is this a fact or one of those fanciful myths entirely invented to fit the facts by this thread.
    I may be wrong but I'm 95% sure I read that somewhere and they're going back to Sky. (and that's why they've shoehorned them into the schedules as much as possible this year and especially the last month or two)

Apologies if I'm being 'fanciful' and making shit up for lolz :kitty:

Edit: have tried to corroborate this information but Google is no use or DSF Search. I may have dreamt it, but I certainly don't make stuff up and pass it off as fact intentionally, why would I? I could have sworn I read they ran out 31st May- again very sorry if I am wrong. Even if it's true I fundamentally disagree with the way ITV have scheduled them in weekday prime time FWIW and I've stated this several times.
  • Options
    groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree with this 100%
    Middle aged and over will either be staunch BBC viewers or Radio listeners and the under 35's will all be checking FB, Twitter & Email 1st thing, not watching Andi Peters spin his wheel of cash or wanting to see Susanna simpering to camera
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong but I'm 95% sure I read that somewhere and they're going back to Sky. (and that's why they've shoehorned them into the schedules as much as possible this year and especially the last month or two)

Apologies if I'm being 'fanciful' and making shit up for lolz :kitty:

Edit: have tried to corroborate this information but Google is no use or DSF Search. I may have dreamt it, but I certainly don't make stuff up and pass it off as fact intentionally, why would I? I could have sworn I read they ran out 31st May- again very sorry if I am wrong. Even if it's true I fundamentally disagree with the way ITV have scheduled them in weekday prime time FWIW and I've stated this several times.

Someone (I can't remember who) posted on this thread the rights were ending, maybe that's what you remember? Would take it with a pinch of salt until something more official comes up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone (I can't remember who) posted on this thread the rights were ending, maybe that's what you remember? Would take it with a pinch of salt until something more official comes up.

Right-o. I feel a bit silly now. :blush:
    NeilVW wrote: »
    No hard-and-fast rules, but I would say those are pretty mild swear-words already! The favourite in EastEnders seems to be "bleedin'".

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/harmoffence/
    Does someone at The Daily Mash read The Ratings Thread? :D

"BBC Swearing to be launched
    23-05-14
    THE BBC is to launch an experimental swearing channel to test whether anyone really give a toss if the word “f**k” is heard on daytime TV."

"The new channel will feature programmes including Sh*t Off In The Toss Attic and Bollocks Under The F**king Hammer W*nk.

BBC Director of Programming Nathan Muir said: “When the Herbert thing broke, we did our usual thing of drafting an apology, when it occurred to us – it’s just a ****ing word. Who gives a sh*t?"

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/bbc-swearing-to-be-launched-2014052386879
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

As lot of the counting for the council elections was done today. The Vote 2014 program should really be on BBC1 today too.
This discussion has been closed.