Options

Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starting line up for the friendly now:

Delac; Azpilicueta, Cahill (c), Zouma, Luis; Fabregas, Matic; Salah, Boga, Brown; Costa

Subs: Cech, Ivanovic, Ake, Terry, Christensen, Chalobah, Van Ginkel, Romeu, Baker, Swift, Solanke, Bamford, Torres.

Costa looks strong so far. Still the oldest looking 25 year old I've seen in my life.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Lovely pass/finish from Fabregas/Costa.

Torres.....lol
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Lovely pass/finish from Fabregas/Costa.

Torres.....lol

Good to see our new players scoring and assisting!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Costa and Fabregas looked good. We may finally have a striker in Costa, though don't want to get my hopes up. Torres looked miserable sitting next to Drogba, he might be competing with him for third striker spot if Lukaku stays. If he'd stood still and let Ake's cross hit him rather than spasm like a mad man he would have scored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't see any of Costa, just a replay of the goal. When I tuned in my stream had no sound, so I couldn't tell who some of the players were, but when that cross went in and the player sent it over the bar....there's only 1 person who could do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bamford and Chalobah both heading out on loan this season. No mentions where, but I really hope it's low level Prem teams. A 3rd season in the Championship won't do Chalobah any good.

Speaking of, bit surprised Omeruo ended up back at Middlesborough.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only read the reports about the game. Apparently Fabregas was impressive, along with Costa and Zouma ? I've seen the Costa goal on YouTube, he showed strength and pace and finished well.
    The Torres miss is already doing the rounds. It would be laughable if he didn't do it so often. This was another classic, almost like a defender making a last ditch clearance to keep the ball out !
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    I only saw the goals (and Torres miss) on youtube too, but it's good that Costa scored in his first match for the club - hopefully he will hit the ground running when the season starts.
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Speaking of, bit surprised Omeruo ended up back at Middlesborough.

Yeah I know what you mean. Sounds like he went back as he enjoyed working with them, although I'd be surprised if there hadn't been any top level interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kana wrote: »
    Costa and Fabregas looked good. We may finally have a striker in Costa, though don't want to get my hopes up. Torres looked miserable sitting next to Drogba, he might be competing with him for third striker spot if Lukaku stays. If he'd stood still and let Ake's cross hit him rather than spasm like a mad man he would have scored.

I just hope costa can hit the ground running.

with cesc pulling the strings around hazard, schurrle and willian, taking the pressure off oscar (who i still think is tremendous but overplayed) its looking good.

Thank goodness our rivals have forgotten that you need defenders too, should be a good season
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Thank goodness our rivals have forgotten that you need defenders too, should be a good season

You do realise that the transfer window hasn't closed yet, yeah?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise that the transfer window hasn't closed yet, yeah?

I do realise, but i see teams leaving it late.

Its difficult for players, say two brand new central defenders new to a club and the league, to bed in straightaway.

Im very happy our new players have played for chelsea and already scored - thats how it should be done imho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do realise, but i see teams leaving it late.

Its difficult for players, say two brand new central defenders new to a club and the league, to bed in straightaway.

Im very happy our new players have played for chelsea and already scored - thats how it should be done imho.

That's different from saying that other clubs have 'forgotten that they need defenders'.

Circumstances dictate when players can be brought in. It may be that the potential selling club is waiting for a replacement to become available, or perhaps the player has been on holiday. There are lots of reasons why it may not be possible to bring the players that you want in early.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's different from saying that other clubs have 'forgotten that they need defenders'.

Circumstances dictate when players can be brought in. It may be that the potential selling club is waiting for a replacement to become available, or perhaps the player has been on holiday. There are lots of reasons why it may not be possible to bring the players that you want in early.

I see that you are worried about this in another forum here.

Do you think you will get the two or three international quality centre backs in before the start of the season?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that you are worried about this in another forum here.

Do you think you will get the two or three international quality centre backs in before the start of the season?

I have absolutely no doubt that we will make some defensive additions.

As for their quality, I'll leave that up to Van Gaal. He seems to know what he's doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have absolutely no doubt that we will make some defensive additions.

As for their quality, I'll leave that up to Van Gaal. He seems to know what he's doing.

Fair enough. There must be reasons why he is leaving it this late.

Not sure you could have done with ed saying you could break transfer fee records though - just adding more money to the price, and the prices are going up the closer you get to the start of the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure you could have done with ed saying you could break transfer fee records though - just adding more money to the price, and the prices are going up the closer you get to the start of the season.

Doesn't really make any difference. Clubs know that we're minted and that we need players.

Woodward didn't reveal any secrets.

FFP is not a concern, so if we have to over-pay, so be it.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes because Utd having a massive transfer kitty is a top class secret that nobody knew about/

The manager had to at least talk to the players and see what players he wanted (and needed). Unless you think someone else should that picked the players? Then you would have said that Utd are not allowing the manager a say
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't really make any difference. Clubs know that we're minted and that we need players.

Very true.

Overpaying for players is only a concern if you have a set amount of money.

Not even sure whats classed as overpaying anyway, The cost is what ever you willing to pay for a player and if you willing to pay it then you cannot be over paying
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not as if we've never been fleeced when buying players either. We've paid over the odds on many occasion and I doubt it will change any time soon.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not as if we've never been fleeced when buying players either. We've paid over the odds on many occasion and I doubt it will change any time soon.

Sadly it comes with the territory, clubs do their research, and know how has money, and who can be fleeched for as much as possible, and we are one of those clubs, especially in the current climate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say its good to see Adam Gemili do so well yesterday, I think we could be seeing a future World Champion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Have to say its good to see Adam Gemili do so well yesterday, I think we could be seeing a future World Champion

Not with a pb of 10.05
  • Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually amazing to think we are less than 3 weeks to our first premier league game against Burnley, time has flown past this summer. I guess World Cup summers always seem like that though! Commonwealth games keeping me busy at the moment too.

Looking forward to the next season, our squad has improved and with Jose as manager we are real contenders. Man City probably still favourites but Suarez leaving Liverpool and Utd yet to make their mark means we have to be around their at the top by the end of the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dend wrote: »
    Actually amazing to think we are less than 3 weeks to our first premier league game against Burnley, time has flown past this summer. I guess World Cup summers always seem like that though! Commonwealth games keeping me busy at the moment too.

Looking forward to the next season, our squad has improved and with Jose as manager we are real contenders. Man City probably still favourites but Suarez leaving Liverpool and Utd yet to make their mark means we have to be around their at the top by the end of the season.

It is going to be very exciting. I really dont know how any of the top 5 will perform, it is the most open a season in twenty years.

Our rivals have had a mixed closed season.

City havent done much, but did they need to? Im sure they will be our closet rivals.

Arsenal have added a quality striker and will have their absent players back - but they
    are still quite soft underneath when teams done allow them to play.

Liverpool have lost their best player and have replaced him with half the Southampton team. They have a stronger squad, but a weaker first 11. I think they will struggle with the extra games and teams parking the bus.

United are, well, i have no idea what to expect. Some people expect them to win the league, others to finish 7th again. All i can see is that their team has not changed that much - and their new star signing is hardly a world beater (and is currently training alone for being unfit!).
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mourinho has said we have to get rid of one of our foreign players, which makes the Drogba signing even more peculiar to me.
    Lukaku oesn't count, even if we sell him. Torres appears to be unsaleable. Cech is a possibility, but that goes against everything Jose has been saying for the past few weeks.
    That leaves Mikel or Ramires, both players Mourinho seems to admire.
    PSG appear to be crazy, wouldn't they like another super star striker like Torres ? Tell them we want £75m but are open to offers. :)