Subway. What do you make of it?

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Also, the people who moan would probably never eat again if they knew what went into most of their food. They can't just pick on Subway.

Well, precisely really.

Unless you grow your own food of course you're eating plenty of MSG, stabilisers, artificial flavourings, added salt, preservatives and all sorts of other E numbers.

People are just thick though.
  • SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, the smell is gross and just reeks of 'processing'.

The bread is terrible, like cardboard. You can get a much nicer sandwich in a small independant sandwich shop; unfortunately they seem to have disappeared from the average high street, driven out by these large corporate franchises no doubt. There seem to be a lot more small sandwich shops in the City or where there are a lot of office workers, who generally demand a bit more quality to their sarnies.
  • Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I can't eat subway food, it falls apart (why balance the salad on the top of the roll, ffs) it smells of chemicals and the shop looks unhygienic and depressing to me.

Still, a choice between Subway and Starbucks, idk, I will just go hungry. Starbucks sandwiches hurt your mouth.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Personally I think those that have brought up the 'smell' are being snobbish, for lack of a better word.

It really does smell quite nice, or at the very least a fairly neutral 'baking' or food sort of smell. Obviously it wont smell like a toastie at home because it's a massively different process.

I just don't understand the fuss. Maybe you all have hypersensitive olfactory systems?

How on earth is it being snobbish to dislike a smell? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think those that have brought up the 'smell' are being snobbish, for lack of a better word.

Perhaps it is being snobbish, so I suppose that makes me a big snob.

When I was younger I used to eat a lot of junk and processed food, and loved it. Eventually I made the effort to eat 'proper' food, and over time realised the flavours and tastes were much more intense and enjoyable.

Years later I tried some of my old junk food and was appalled at just how bad and tasteless it was. It filled a hole, but I couldn't say I enjoyed it.

I'm not making a judgement on people who may enjoy eating at Subway, or any other fast food outlet. Just that there are much better alternatives out there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    How on earth is it being snobbish to dislike a smell? :confused:

When I was younger I used to eat a lot of junk and processed food, and loved it. Eventually I made the effort to eat 'proper' food, and over time realised the flavours and tastes were much more intense and enjoyable.

Years later I tried some of my old junk food and was appalled at just how bad and tasteless it was. It filled a hole, but I couldn't say I enjoyed it.

I'm not making a judgement on people who may enjoy eating at Subway, or any other fast food outlet. Just that there are much better alternatives out there.

Maybe not your posts in particular, but there seems to be some pretension sneaking into this thread, which I dislike.

I must admit I still don't understand what is disliked about their baking smell :confused:

It isn't produced by vats of chemicals or anything.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use to have one or two per week - wheat bread, turkey, ham and salad. Seemed a reasonably healthy choice.

Then I learned that the 'wheat bread' is anything but wholegrain, and is essentially dyed white bread laced with high fructose corn syrup and lots of additives. There's very little wheat in there.

I make my own now using proper wholegrain buns.

That's what I heard about the bread!

I bet you've saved a fortune too by making your own
  • bleuh111bleuh111 Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, precisely really.

Unless you grow your own food of course you're eating plenty of MSG, stabilisers, artificial flavourings, added salt, preservatives and all sorts of other E numbers.

Yes - people read these ingredient lists and freak out because they see chemical names like "sodium erythorbate", assuming that because it's given by its fancy scientific name, it must be some horrible toxin, but the reality is that basically any food you can ever eat can be broken down in to names like that, especially in an age where food is engineered to not rot within 2 days. Virtually all those scary-sounding chemicals are completely harmless and used either to slightly extend the shelf-life or pronounce some flavour a bit more.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The thing is, unless you catch and kill the meat yourself, we are all eating food which contains preservatives and chemicals. Why people pick on Subway is a bit strange? Are they not aware, that unless they are Vegan, practically everything we eat has been treated in some way. I am not defending it, it is just the way it is. I would also rather eat in a Subway, then I would do a MCDonald's. At least you get a fair amount of Salad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe some people on this thread work for Subway :o or need to stop taking offence to such trivial things that aren't a direct reflection on their life :) :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I must admit I still don't understand what is disliked about their baking smell.

If Subway actually bake their own bread on site, then Greggs workers are all expert pastry chefs :D

The stench from Subway is anything but the smell of baking bread lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe some people on this thread work for Subway :o or need to stop taking offence to such trivial things that aren't a direct reflection on their life :) :cool:

Not offended, just perplexed by peoples pretension and hypocrisy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't see anybody taking offence. I see people questioning the majority of people who aren't thinking about the whole picture. I mean, is anyone naive enough to believe it's just Subway that adds chemicals to its foods? Reading this thread, most people seem to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    If Subway actually bake their own bread on site, then Greggs workers are all expert pastry chefs :D

It's the bread being baked from frozen.

They don't make the dough in store - they are obviously bought in, but technically it's still being baked in store, and that produces a lot of the smell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The smell of freshly baked bread is lovely.

What emanates from the door of Subway... isn't...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see anybody taking offence. I see people questioning the majority of people who aren't thinking about the whole picture. I mean, is anyone naive enough to believe it's just Subway that adds chemicals to its foods? Reading this thread, most people seem to be.

Indeed. Or somehow Subway must be odd for using pre-made bread?

An awful lot of pub meals, which you'd pay more for in sit down venues are loaded with the same chemicals and come out of a freezer just the same.

Subway just isn't anything unusual. This is the business of mass market food.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,982
    Forum Member
    It's nice enough, I don't make a habit of going though I just grab one from work for free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Or somehow Subway must be odd for using pre-made bread?

An awful lot of pub meals, which you'd pay more for in sit down venues are loaded with the same chemicals and come out of a freezer just the same.

Subway just isn't anything unusual. This is the business of mass market food.

Does anyone think that when you go into a restaurant, and the dish of the day is Lamb Shank, that they cook 300 lamb shanks from scratch. I doubt it, unless it's a very high class restaurant. It will normally be a boil in the bag.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think that when you go into a restaurant, and the dish of the day is Lamb Shank, that they cook 300 lamb shanks from scratch. I doubt it, unless it's a very high class restaurant. It will normally be a boil in the bag.

Most people here probably thought they were getting fresh garlic bread with a sit down meal too :D
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not offended, just perplexed by peoples pretension and hypocrisy.

How is it pretentious or hypocritical to say you don't like a smell?
    If you don't like it, you don't like it.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love, love, love Subway!

Southwest sauce is the nectar of the Gods.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    It's the smell that puts me off.

Every one you walk by has the same chemical smell. I dread to think what they use for ingredients and they are not cheap for the size sandwiches they sell

What chemical smell. They don't smell as much as a beefburger/chicken, pizza, kebab or Chinese/Indian takeaway.
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Shite company, shite food! Let's be honest, any establishment that feels it necessary to pump a fake aroma of Oregano into their premises to disguise the BO emanating from their staff and the smell of stale and/or rotten food is never a good place to eat.

It may be like that in your local outlets. However, it doesn't apply to all their outlets. This is the thing isn't it, people assuming that because their local outlets are bad, then they must all be like that.

Two of the three Subways around here have 4 star ratings and the other one 5, according to the Food Standards Agency, which is more than you can say for most of the takeaways in this area. There are not cheap though, I'll agree with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    What chemical smell. They don't smell as much as a beefburger/chicken, pizza, kebab or Chinese/Indian takeaway.

Er no. The typical Subway smells even worse! :D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Well, precisely really.

Quite a few E numbers are allocated to ingredients that have more common names, e.g. E330 is citric acid, i.e. found in many fruits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_number#Full_list
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I love their smell.