Options

Best ever music video

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... so landis suggested jako rips off zombie films too... he did, he gave jacko several of these films and told him to watch them... he did.. and wanted a vid composed of these films... the point is that its over hyped and is possibly the most UN original music vid ever... (and please note, im not bashing jacko per se as ive not said anything against other jacko nominations...)

i know, i quoted yours at it was just there.... nothing personal.

i wouldnt be so up myself as to think that my favs were 'the best'... the op didnt ask for 'favs'..

this could have been a very interesting thread... discussing the hundereds of great, cutting edge, music vids that have been released over the last 35 years... instead its been hijacked by stans who are just using it to promote their heros...

So now everyone on this thread is 'up themselves'? OK.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... so landis suggested jako rips off zombie films too... he did, he gave jacko several of these films and told him to watch them... he did.. and wanted a vid composed of these films... the point is that its over hyped and is possibly the most UN original music vid ever... (and please note, im not bashing jacko per se as ive not said anything against other jacko nominations...)

this could have been a very interesting thread... discussing the hundereds of great, cutting edge, music vids that have been released over the last 35 years... instead its been hijacked by stans who are just using it to promote their heros...
    Its unorginal in a discussion about best music video only becuase everyone mentions it, its not becuase of the content..Thriller is constantly rated by anyone and everyone as one of the most cutting edge,iconic and influential musc videos of all time..Anyone who knows anything about music would have to say its the greatest video of all time even people who dont like MJ .it could hardly be considered as unoriginal..maybe you are not old enough to know the impact that video had on the music industry it was a watershed moment and arguabley made michael jackson into a superstar..
    Its nearly 30 years old and it still stands up today
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Beastie Boys - Shadrach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVfHmjKOrM&ob=av3e)

Simply because it is unique and quite artistic. Every frame in the animation is painted by hand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Vanilla - No Way, No Way
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beastie Boys- Intergalactic.
    Chemical Brothers-Hey Boy, Hey Girl, Let Forever Be.
    Daft Punk- Around the World.
    TLC- Waterfalls.
    Outkast-Hey Ya.
    Eminem- The Real Slim Shady, Stan, 8 Mile.
    Prodigy- Smack My Bitch Up, Firestarter.
    Aphex Twin- Window Licker, Come To Daddy.
    Bjork-All is For Love.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Its unorginal in a discussion about best music video only becuase everyone mentions it, its not becuase of the content..Thriller is constantly rated by anyone and everyone as one of the most cutting edge,iconic and influential musc videos of all time..Anyone who knows anything about music would have to say its the greatest video of all time even people who dont like MJ .it could hardly be considered as unoriginal..maybe you are not old enough to know the impact that video had on the music industry it was a watershed moment and arguabley made michael jackson into a superstar..
    Its nearly 30 years old and it still stands up today

...and you tow the line... swallowing all the hype.

think about it... remove all pre-conceptions and the bullshit that surrounds it...

it was the most hyped up vid of all time, yet examine it, it was nothing more then a corporate product aimed at bigging up their artists true worth by copying , transposing, b rated horror flicks into a vid around their 'star', boy did it work!... there were far 'better' more original vids before and since but without the millions of dollars backing it up, hypeing it, fail to get noticed... billie jean was a far superior vid..

what i detest is the way everyone cites that unoriginal vid, its become an urban truth.. people blindly cite thriller, many of who have very little knowlege about all the other vids released.

why is it better then belouis some 'imagination'? why is it better then david bowie 'ashes to ashes'? why is it even better then queens 'bo rhap'?... at least that broke the mould, cut new ground, and was original...

the only original element of thriller was the unpresidented hype... and the sheep fall for it...
    Taccado wrote: »
    Beastie Boys - Shadrach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVfHmjKOrM&ob=av3e)

Simply because it is unique and quite artistic. Every frame in the animation is painted by hand.

thats better.... something different, original, un - hyped...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now everyone on this thread is 'up themselves'? OK.

because no ones being objective... they all lazily cite the obvious or more often their favourite artists.. there have been hundereds of vids made, many breaking new ground in both artistry and creativity. yet nearly everyone so far has missed the opportunity to examine the question posed properly...

there are vids that i like, there are vids that i dont like but recognise broke new ground, leading the way for others..
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reasons for picking these particular music videos vary, some I think are really artistic and forward thinking, others I just thought were really fun and some I just enjoyed the storytelling aspect of them etc.... So here goes....

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
    Michael Jackson - Thriller
    Michael Jackson - Bad
    Michael Jackson - Black Or White
    Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
    Madonna - Frozen
    Enrique Iglesias - Hero
    Beyonce - Crazy In Love (Feat. Jay-Z)
    Christina Aguilera - Fighter
    Britney Spears - Toxic
    Shakira - Did It Again
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    because no ones being objective... they all lazily cite the obvious or more often their favourite artists.. there have been hundereds of vids made, many breaking new ground in both artistry and creativity. yet nearly everyone so far has missed the opportunity to examine the question posed properly...

there are vids that i like, there are vids that i dont like but recognise broke new ground, leading the way for others..

I completely agree! I get it if you have favourite artists, so have I. But this thread is about "best ever music video", not "a list of my favourite artists' videos". Many have now written down long lists of videos by the same artists, which clearly just reflects that they are fans of these artists, not that they have actually deemed these videos special in the long history of music videos. Come on people, there are literally thousands of music videos out there. Not just on the Top 40, pop-rock axis, but in all genres. Not just in the Anglosphere, but all around the world. How is it possible that all the videos mentioned are made by a group of around 20 artists. I doubt it has to do with these 20 being deemed unanimously superior. It's just that you're not looking at all the possibilities out there, just the obvious answers from a narrow group of options.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Well, I don't think the "best music video of all time" can be determined.There are billions, gazillions, brazillions of videos out there and so many aspects to tell a perfect from a good one that it's virtually impossible to proclaim a video "the best of all time".It would be much better if you said "your all-time favorite music video".Everyone is writing about their favorite videos anyway.

I don't want to say what the best video of all time is because this would be unfair, inaccurate and pointless, granted that I haven't seen all the videos, that I am too young to understand the impact and the significance of some videos and that of course I cannot be subjective; we all like some artists more than others and we have some artists that we adore and can't be fair with them.So, I'll just say that my favorite videos of all time are by Christina, Aaliyah or Britney.Also, Garbage had some truly amazing videos back then ('The World Is Not Enough' and 'Androginy' always got me excited as a kid!) and Ciara has some very enjoyable dance routines and I love the way she rides the beat ;):D

(You see how I did not mention Madonna and MJ.Objectively, these 2 are the absolute masters of video clips, but their best videos were released long before I was born so I'm not that connected to those videos a lot.That's why I disagree with the "best" part of the thread.)
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Young's Your Game is a great video.

Your Game
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and you tow the line... swallowing all the hype.

think about it... remove all pre-conceptions and the bullshit that surrounds it...

it was the most hyped up vid of all time, yet examine it, it was nothing more then a corporate product aimed at bigging up their artists true worth by copying , transposing, b rated horror flicks into a vid around their 'star', boy did it work!... there were far 'better' more original vids before and since but without the millions of dollars backing it up, hypeing it, fail to get noticed... billie jean was a far superior vid..

what i detest is the way everyone cites that unoriginal vid, its become an urban truth.. people blindly cite thriller, many of who have very little knowlege about all the other vids released.

why is it better then belouis some 'imagination'? why is it better then david bowie 'ashes to ashes'? why is it even better then queens 'bo rhap'?... at least that broke the mould, cut new ground, and was original...

the only original element of thriller was the unpresidented hype... and the sheep fall for it...

thats better.... something different, original, un - hyped...

the imagination video is a fave of mine. i'd say bowie had better videos like loving the alien, let's dance and jazzing for blue jean (the long version)

to be fair thriller is a great video. MJ got landis on board after seeing american werewolf in london and wanted to recreate that for his video, and they used the choreography from ray charles shake your tailfeather sequence in the blues brothers for the zombies to dance to as it covers a wide style of 50s/60s dance moves

obviously the video is far from original as it just grabs from other things, but so do most videos. when you consider how much money was wasted on some of his other videos and how bad and cheesy some of them were, it just shows you that when other people were left to do their jobs right you could do something good. john landis and quincy jones together works well

the really sad thing is when you see some of MJ's early videos with quincy jones produced music and then see some of the crap he did in the 90s, you just have to ask wtf happened for it to all go so wrong

some of janets videos are good too, especially the rhythmn nation videos, much better choreography and dancing than any of the MJ videos. i dunno how jam and lewis could make her a star when her first album flopped, but they couldn't do anything decent with MJ
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised Tool Stinkfist hasn't rated a mention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member

gosh, I'd forgotten about that one, a great video (and he was quite hot). :o

David Mallet and Tim Pope were pioneers of the early music video - I just love some of their work. The technology might have been crude but what they lacked in effects and budget they more than made up for in creativity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerosmith - Cryin'
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Spike Jonze videos

The Pharcyde – Drop (cool backwards styley)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3qMdkucM0

FatLip - What's Up Fat Lip? (the polar opposite of a ‘cool’ rapper)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK_WfF6hf2E

Weezer - Buddy Holly (Happy days)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kemivUKb4f4

Bjork - Its oh so quiet (cheesy musical)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htobTBlCvUU

Fatboy slim - Praise You (the greatest dance routine)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex1qzIggZnA

Beastie boys – Sabotage (70’s cop show)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its also probably the most unoriginal of the videos nominated so far..... a direct copy of a generaic teen werewolf film....

there have been hundereds of better videos then most of what has been mentioned, but being innovative i suppose doesnt translate necessarily to popular.. are the most popular the 'best'?... arguably so...
    :rolleyes:
    .this could have been a very interesting thread... discussing the hundereds of great, cutting edge, music vids that have been released over the last 35 years..instead its been hijacked by stans...
    LOL, here we go again - cage rattled/knickers in a twist as per usual at the mention of anything MJ.:yawn: As for the irony in bold - PMSL!
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thriller, obviously - Michael Jackson
    Beat It - Michael Jackson
    You Rock My World - Michael Jackson
    Scream - Michael & Janet Jackson
    Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
    Slave 4 U - Britney
    Got to Have your Love - Mantronix
    The Real Slim Shady - Eminem
    I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing - The New Seekers coke advert.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

LOL, here we go again - cage rattled/knickers in a twist as per usual at the mention of anything MJ.:yawn: As for the irony in bold - PMSL!

please read everything that ive posted instead of cherry picking a few lines in order to cause an unnecessary argument.

i have clearly made referance ONLY to thriller, and not all jacko vids per se . imho 'billie jean' and 'say say say' are superior.

there is nothing wrong with challenging the accepted popularist view that 'thriller' was 'the best' ever music video. im suggesting that without the mass media promotion and hype, it really isnt that great! id also suggest that if many other vids had the same promotion/hype, they would be seen as 'the best'..

what id like to see is a re-appraisal by people within the industry and critics of all music vids to date, not the public, people who understand the evolution of the music vid, people who know what ground was broken, innovation, creativity, has been employed in making the thousands of music vids there have been.

im sure thriller will be in the mix, but it would be interesting to see how many 'unknown' vids make the cut, vids whos tracks didnt chart and get mass promotion...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Michael Jackson's Thriller ...

I like the new JayZ & Kayne one:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/SynStar-Records/205555902836412
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I love Kasabian's shoot the runner video
    also white stripe's hardest button to button
    the peter gabriel sledgehammer video is a good distraction from the sexual lyrics lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    I love Kasabian's shoot the runner video
    also white stripe's hardest button to button
    the peter gabriel sledgehammer video is a good distraction from the sexual lyrics lol

id also rate, seven nation army, and fell in love with the girl ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Blink 182-Always
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvtJVku_mJw&ob=av2e
    Always puts a smile on my face