PaleMoon 8.0 (FF opimized for Windows)

REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,315
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Pale moon 8.0 released today (auto-pop-up asking did i want to upgrade)

Just have to give this browser a shout-out :) ,if you are using FF and find your ram/resurces taking a bashing and ever wonder if there was an alternative browser with 99% of the functions of FF and came from Mozilla ,look's exactly the same as FF but was optimized for speed and efficiency for windows then look no more.

I would urge you to go to site and have a read ,see if your system would be supported and give it a go ,i've never looked back and highly recommend this edition, all the usual add-on's your used to and ram friendly
i still use memory fox add-on and what a difference changing browsers made.

see if your processor is supported http://www.palemoon.org/technical.shtml

check out the processor comparability page at palemoon.org ,only if your running Very old first generation processor's then it's not the browser for you (using budget p.c. with Athlon 64 and it's fully supported ,ie. AMD Athlon is not.

Grow very tiered of constant updates from FF with no visible benefit ,only memory deterioration TBH , palemoon 7.0 wasn't wasn't released that long ago either but you can see memory improvement's as opposed to FF memory hog.

No way i'd go back to FF.:p

If changing to palemoon from FF there is a feature on web installer page that lets you bring your setting from FF ,so you don't have to set up preferences again but you must choose this feature it's not automatic.

Happy Browsing, if your going to try it out please post back and tell us all what you thought and what speed/memory difference you experience. much appreciated for new user's

www.palemoon.org/ if address blocked go to www.pale moon.org no spaces.

(quote from homepage)>

"Why settle for a basic build of your Firefox browser on Windows Operating Systems when you can have one that is specifically made for getting the most out of your system? Mozilla does not provide optimized browser packages for Windows, meaning you may be losing speed and efficiency when you use your browser; and truth be told, most people use their browsers all the time! That needs to change, so, here is the Pale Moon project: Custom-built and optimized Firefox-based browsers for Windows Operating Systems. Make sure to get the most speed and efficiency out of your browser!

Of course, getting a more efficient browser is not just about optimizing the compilation process (building a program from its source code), but also about carefully choosing features and knowing how to choose the best setup. This means that this browser, however extremely close to Firefox in the way it works, does not have all the functions that Firefox has. A few, carefully selected, features have been disabled that are not in high demand, and that do not interfere with the way web pages are displayed or function; all to maximize speed and efficiency of the browser. Please see the page with technical details to learn exactly what the browser supports, and what it doesn't support. In short, if you need accessibility features or parental controls, then please visit the firefox homepage and get the official, non-optimized build."

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more. I started using Palemoon at version 6.0.
    This morning I upgraded to Palemoon 8.0. Yes it looks the same as FF, but does seem to be crisper in operation.

Well worth a try.:)
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonesyboy wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. I started using Palemoon at version 6.0.
    This morning I upgraded to Palemoon 8.0. Yes it looks the same as FF, but does seem to be crisper in operation.

Well worth a try.:)

Can't use Mozbackup. Therefore dead in the water as far as I'm concerned.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't use Mozbackup. Therefore dead in the water as far as I'm concerned.

is that the mozbackup thats offered through the palemoon link ,seem to remember now that you can use mazbackup to change to palemoon but could not use it with palemoon if you wanted to go back to FF, worked fine for me,and i would never need to use mozbackup again as i would never change to FF ,no need whatsoever ,it made to work with people's own individual processors ,(light years away from my athlon 64:o proccessor,but still work a treat TBO),took them a wee while to catch up but ,i've only been using it for 6 month's from palmoon ,5 ,6 ,7 ,and today's 8, it's a progress you really feel each update rather than zero real difference, those guys have done a fine job ,really stretching every last bit out the MOZALA browser ,not one i'd ever go back to FF for experience,depends what your graphic's/ proccessor/ browsing need's and preferences,it really moves with the times and speed of technology evolving .

Really only ever use p.c. for browsing dusk to dawn like a lot of people as browsers go can honestly see real progress in it's build for wouldn't mind upgrading though to really see what good modern proccessors can do but already get hi res/hd and have no need to update (even if i have the cash)think i'll just upgrade to windows 8 ,no need right now to do otherwise,that's where palemoon on a windows platform can outstrip FF anytime,anyway just a thought (found the rizzla's) :).

safe browsing folks
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before installing version 8 ,you need to check if it will work with your system
    You can do that on the Palemoon web site
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly am I set to gain if I move from Firefox (standard) to PaleMoon?
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REDBUS wrote: »
    is that the mozbackup thats offered through the palemoon link

What link?
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually a pretty nice browser, never did like firefox as I found it pretty slow, but Palemoon is very fast indeed. Although I still prefer Chrome :p
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mpmc17 wrote: »
    It's actually a pretty nice browser, never did like firefox as I found it pretty slow, but Palemoon is very fast indeed. Although I still prefer Chrome :p

Palemoon is firefox :rolleyes: the source code is identical to that of firefox, it has just been optimized at compile time and changed the name due to Mozilla's copyright :eek:
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Palemoon is firefox :rolleyes: the source code is identical to that of firefox, it has just been optimized at compile time and changed the name due to Mozilla's copyright :eek:

Yes I know :rolleyes:, but the optimisation really makes a difference on my system whereas Firefox is dog slow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mpmc17 wrote: »
    Yes I know :rolleyes:, but the optimisation really makes a difference on my system whereas Firefox is dog slow.
    I must admit I am not convinced that Palemoon is particularly fast.

I am running FF 9 beta as well.

After 2 days they seem about the same speed. In fact FF 9 beta uses less memory on my system.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonesyboy wrote: »
    I must admit I am not convinced that Palemoon is particularly fast.

I am running FF 9 beta as well.

After 2 days they seem about the same speed. In fact FF 9 beta uses less memory on my system.

Firefox 9.0b2 is out: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/9.0b2/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Thanks for the link :) In spite of some comments by others, I look at the links you post. Your not compelling anybody to use them.Caveat emptor ;):)