Is R.C. church homophobia acceptable in modern Britian

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    zackai48 wrote: »
    Once again on these forums I must state that the church merely follows the teaching of the bible. It is certainly not homophobic-just professes what it believes. Is free speech no longer acceptable in this land?

You are free to spout your homophobic views as you see fit, as you are doing on DS, you wont be prosecuted for your opinions unless they cross the arbitrary line into incitement. So yes, you still have free speech in that sense (although true free speech is, and always has been, something of a myth even in the US). You can only go so far.

However, anyone who disagrees is also free to pull you up for your views.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Genesis 75.531

Is that a new decimal bible?
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    their homophobia is listened to
    I find it pathetic and ignorant that so many share their unwanted crap about LBG so freely

And you are equally entitled to that opinion, such is the freedom of this great nation of ours. :)
  • pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christianity will rewrite it's moral code to fall into line. It used to have no issue with slavery and racial segregation and now condemns such practices. A few more decades and it will also promote gay rights as perfectly natural and pretend it was always this way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A discriminating action outwith the law is different from offering an opinion on something.

True. So they do not allow gay people to take communion, is that a discriminating act?
    jesaya wrote: »

Its something, not sure I can put a name to it.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    pianoforte wrote: »
    Christianity will rewrite it's moral code to fall into line. It used to have no issue with slavery and racial segregation and now condemns such practices. A few more decades and it will also promote gay rights as perfectly natural and pretend it was always this way.

A lot of Christians already are. The leaders of some churches just need to catch up with the rest.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genesis 75.531

So the Old Testament then? When it used to be 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'? I seeeeee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the religious anti-gay people who should be a protected minority.

They're deluded, they can't help it. Most people really hate bigots, but we should try to understand them. It's not their fault, end of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are the way they are made and that's it. We can't change them, and why would anyone want to? Unless of course they are obnoxious, violent murderous skunks, which to my knowledge homosexual people aren't. In fact from what little I know about it, homosexuals have happier and longer-lasting relationships than straight people, and as the Bible teaches that we should all love one another as we are all God's children, why single certain people out for hatred based only on the way God made them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the religious anti-gay people who should be a protected minority.

They're deluded, they can't help it. Most people really hate bigots, but we should try to understand them. It's not their fault, end of.

Not all religious people are anti-gay, and not all anti-gays are religious. Discrimination comes in all forms, as you well know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are the way they are made and that's it. We can't change them, and why would anyone want to? Unless of course they are obnoxious, violent murderous skunks, which to my knowledge homosexual people aren't. In fact from what little I know about it, homosexuals have happier and longer-lasting relationships than straight people, and as the Bible teaches that we should all love one another as we are all God's children, why single certain people out for hatred based only on the way God made them?

I'd suggest from that hilarious assertion that you are at least right in admitting your knowledge is scant.
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all religious people are anti-gay, and not all anti-gays are religious. Discrimination comes in all forms, as you well know.

That poster never said they were, they specifically added the condition "anti-gay".
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Homophobia isn't acceptable to me from anyone, anywhere for any reason.
  • SchnableSchnable Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zackai48 wrote: »
    Once again on these forums I must state that the church merely follows the teaching of the bible. It is certainly not homophobic-just professes what it believes. Is free speech no longer acceptable in this land?

It doesn't matter what they "Think" they have to back up what they say or it has no validity.

Backing up your claims - Is that no longer the norm?

They can't just dream things up and then say they have a valid point as they don't.
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rome's homoerotic (yes, ironic, isn't it?) death cult is not acceptable anywhere and not just for its homophobic dogma. It's whole history is antihumanity, from its early days to the present - the current Pope famously being a protector of paedophiles let alone a Nazi. Not just antigay but antiwomen (bizarre considering it all but treats Mary as a goddess!) and anticontraception (condemning millions to a life of poverty and grind while the Pope and his underlings live a life of remote luxury churning out their archaic edicts). Quite why British news often report sthe actions of these people as if it is actually worth something is beyond me. It is as though protestantism never happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Perks wrote: »
    Rome's homoerotic (yes, ironic, isnl;t it?) death cult is not acceptable anywhere and not just for its homophobic dogma. It's whole history is antihumanity, from its early days to the present - the current Pope famously being a protector of paedophiles let alone a Nazi. Not just antigay but antiwomen (bizarre coinsidering it all but treats May as a goddess!) and anticontraception (condemning millions to a life of poverty and grind while the Pope and his underlings live a life of remote luxury churning out their archaic ediocts). Quite why British news often report sthe actions of these people as if it is actually worth something is beyond me. It is as though protestantism never happened.

There's no answer to that.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    True. So they do not allow gay people to take communion, is that a discriminating act?

Holy Communion as far as I am aware is available to all the flock who are following the rules of the club. The church supposedly opposes all kinds of unholy fornication including gay sex, not gay people per se. Why would a gay person, fully in the knowledge he is engaging in anything the church might consider sinful, be lined up in mass expecting to receive communion? It's like me expecting to be let into the local Snakes and Ladders club but only wanting to bring my chess set and play chess.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,829
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »

;) Or a special edition with bonus verses perhaps. :D
  • SchnableSchnable Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    ;) Or a special edition with bonus verses perhaps. :D

Complete with crayons and scissors with rounded ends!

;)
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We condone and legislate against racism and sectarianism why should homophobia be acceptable in this day and age ,whatever your faith / religion ,think it should be about time politicians condemn this barbaric mentality and tell them to join the 21 century of so-called equality,regardless of the bigoted minority.

Whatever way any faith group condones same sex marriage ,it cannot disguise their blatant homophobia ,same sex marriage is their excuse for their bigotry and must be confronted as such,personally think it's a scandal politicians don't speak out for fear of losing the popular faith vote of those self-appointed spokespersons who condemn same sex relationship's ,not just same sex marriage ,and shame on the politicians who pander to them by not speaking out against their ever constant petitions handed to them by the self appointed 'moral guardian's' .

Let those without sin cast the first stone
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    No it is not acceptable but will be around for as long as our politicians don't have the balls to tell them that faith or no faith, homophobia will not be tolerated anywhere and they will be subject to arrest and prosecution same as us non believers should they spout anti gay propoganda.

Stand up and be counted Mr Cameron, you are supposed to be a Christian.

It appears that Mr Casey WAS right about Christians being in danger of arrest.:(
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    It appears that Mr Casey WAS right about Christians being in danger of arrest.:(

only when the law is broken
    do you really have a blind spot as to how deluded Carey is?
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

If they break the law yes, but then it takes no special insight to know that.

Do you think Christians should be above the law then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    only when the law is broken
    Ineed but I get the impression that some would want the law to be changed
    do you really have a blind spot as to how deluded Carey is?
    No because I do not believe him to be deluded.

If individuals say that they do not believe in gay marriage they should be allowed to say so without being persecuted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    If they break the law yes, but then it takes no special insight to know that.

Do you think Christians should be above the law then?
    I think that the law should be sensible.
This discussion has been closed.