Options

"3" network - data charges abroad

spiideyspiidey Posts: 16,296
Forum Member
✭✭
We're going to the south of Spain tomorrow.

I'm on the "3" network with an iPhone.

What are the data charges for using this abroad? Any precautions I should take?

Also, the hotel we're going to has Wi-fi - if we use that, does this mean that we won't be hit with data network charges? If so, how do we ensure that that is the case (i.e. what needs to be "on"/"off" in the iPhone settings, and what do we need to let "3" know about in advance)?

Comments

• Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiidey wrote: »
    What are the data charges for using this abroad?

Pay monthly:

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Going_abroad_Pay_Monthly/Destination_Details?content_aid=1214306371189

Pay as you go:

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Going_abroad_Pay_As_You_Go/Destination_Details?content_aid=1214306371189
    Any precautions I should take?

Wear sun tan lotion
    Also, the hotel we're going to has Wi-fi - if we use that, does this mean that we won't be hit with data network charges?

By default, data is disabled on the iPhone when abroad. If you don't use any data or you use a Wi-Fi network, then you won't get any mobile data charges. Your hotel might have a fee for using the Wi-Fi though, but that would be between you and them, not Three.
    If so, how do we ensure that that is the case (i.e. what needs to be "on"/"off" in the iPhone settings, and what do we need to let "3" know about in advance)?

To check the "Data Roaming" setting, go to:

Settings > General > Network and check that "Data Roaming" is OFF.

If you want to use data while abroad, you have to set the toggle to ON.

You can do this for a short period if you want to look something up quickly.

You WILL need to contact Three to enable international roaming on your account.

You can do that by calling 333 from your phone.

You can check whether it's enabled through the "Your Account" pages on the website.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There supposed to be an EU data pricing cap starting, I think, in June. It works much the same way as voice and text capping within the EU. Next year and the year after the price will be reduced more.

From memory the price for the first year of capping is 50p per Mb, again from memory.

Strange with just another day to go before June no network to my knowledge have said any thing about this.

Have they found a loop hole.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »

By default, data is disabled on the iPhone when abroad. If you don't use any data or you use a Wi-Fi network, then you won't get any mobile data charges. Your hotel might have a fee for using the Wi-Fi though, but that would be between you and them, not Three.

To check the "Data Roaming" setting, go to:

Settings > General > Network and check that "Data Roaming" is OFF.

If you want to use data while abroad, you have to set the toggle to ON.

You can do this for a short period if you want to look something up quickly.

You WILL need to contact Three to enable international roaming on your account.

You can do that by calling 333 from your phone.

You can check whether it's enabled through the "Your Account" pages on the website.

Just to clarify, if I turn "Data Roaming" to off, will I still be able to use Wi-fi at the hotel?
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Just to clarify, if I turn "Data Roaming" to off, will I still be able to use Wi-fi at the hotel?

Yes you will.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Unless you're expecting phone calls, it might be worth taking the sim card out altogether then you aren't worrying about it. I took my iPhone on holiday recently and it was simply a way of connecting to the internet using the hotel's Wi-Fi rather than using it as a phone. I understand that your situation might be different though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the "General->Network" section, is it "Cellular Data" or "Data Roaming" that I need to turn off (in fact, what do each of these do)?

Also, do I need to turn off location services?

What about Personal Hotspot and Notifications?
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Cellular Data is for data in the UK from the network on your sim card (three).

Data roaming is for using a different network when not in the uk (abroad)

Location services will only use data if data roaming is on.
    Personal hotspot is off. Notifications will only use data if data roaming is on.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the "General->Network" section, is it "Cellular Data" or "Data Roaming" that I need to turn off (in fact, what do each of these do)?

Just Data Roaming.
    Also, do I need to turn off location services?

No
    What about Personal Hotspot and Notifications?

No. I wouldn't turn Personal Hotspot on unless you're actually using it at the time - that goes for in the UK as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for all the replies!
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    eek, youve left things a bit late, to be completly sure put your sim into an old non smart phone ( you can buy a sim card adaptor for this purppose) and just use your iphones basic functions ( ie wifi) if its unlocked, then you can buy a local sim when your out there to use the data functions, some sim cards come pre loaded with data ( i think vodafone spain offer one with 2Gb data alowance pre loaded.
    if your concerned about the size, you can also buy a sim card cutter to convert a standard sim into a micro sim.