Palemoon 15.1 just released

REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,315
Forum Member
✭✭✭
(I know there's quite a lot of FM use this browser so thought i'd throw this up)

Firefox-variant Pale Moon 15.1 for Windows has been released, promising to resolve a “fairly large number of issues with the initial version”. Version 15.1, also available as a dedicated 64-bit build, includes fixes for the mouse wheel scrolling preferences, memory inflation while playing some canvas games and a fix for private browsing mode. Pale Moon, which is optimized for speed and efficiency, offers a lightweight, fast variant to Firefox. This latest build comes after version 15.0 was released at the end of last month.
The mouse wheel smooth scrolling glitch meant that Pale Moon ignored both its default settings, plus any user-implemented changes made via the Options dialog box, but this has now been resolved with version 15.1. Private Browsing mode has been regressed to the equivalent settings in Firefox 14 to resolve a bug whereby Private Browsing mode actually stored files in the browser’s disk cache as opposed to not saving them at all.

The memory inflation issue was confined to integrated graphics chips, specifically Intel’s, and led to rapid memory usage inflation when using canvas. The fix implemented specifically prevents this issue from occurring.
Aside from resolving these three issues, version 15.1 also restores compatibility for Windows XP Professional x64 in the program installer, negating the need for a separate installer, and also resolves Javascript stability issues in the 32-bit build.
There are also a number of regression fixes, removing changes introduce in version 15. These include restoring the favicon to the Address bar, removing the redesigned Safe Mode dialog box and restoring the [Alt] + [Click] save dialog box. Also restored at the blue identity panel for domain-verified sites, support for the browser.identity.ssl_domain_display setting and the Address bar autofill default prefence (no autofill).
Version 15.1 also implements some performance-enhancing new features, including Direct2D brush caching, a faster method for transcendental floating pointing instructions and multi-threaded box blur. This latter feature will particularly benefit multi-core PCs.
There’s also a new option for completely resetting the user’s profile if necessary -- the simplest way to do this is by choosing Profile Reset under Help > Troubleshooting information.
Pale Moon 15.1 and Pale Moon x64 15.1 are both available as a freeware downloads for PCs running Windows XP or later. As of version 15.1, XP users must have SP3 installed, while the x64 build requires a 64-bit version of Windows to run.

Comments

• REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little more info

Welcome to the Pale Moon project homepage
    Why settle for a basic build of your Firefox browser on Windows Operating Systems when you can have one that is specifically made for getting the most out of your system? Mozilla does not provide optimized browser packages for Windows, meaning you may be losing speed and efficiency when you use your browser; and truth be told, most people use their browsers all the time! That needs to change, so, here is the Pale Moon project: A custom-built and optimized Firefox-based browser for Windows. Make sure to get the most speed and efficiency out of your browser!

Of course, getting a more efficient browser is not just about optimizing the compilation process (building a program from its source code), but also about carefully choosing features and knowing how to choose the best setup. This means that this browser, however extremely close to Firefox in the way it works, does not have all the functions that Firefox has. A few, carefully selected, features have been disabled that are not in high demand, and that do not interfere with the way web pages are displayed or function; all to maximize speed and efficiency of the browser. Please see the page with technical details to learn exactly what the browser supports, and what it doesn't support. In short, if you need accessibility features or parental controls, then please visit the firefox homepage and get the official, non-optimized build.

With the next generation version (starting with Pale Moon 4), there are also a few other differences that are more obvious and not just "under the hood": contrary to what Mozilla has done with their redesign of the user interface, Pale Moon will continue to provide a familiar set of controls and visual feedback similar to previous versions, including grouped navigation buttons of a decent size, a bookmarks toolbar that is enabled by default, and not in the least a functional status bar, to name a few things.

Main features:

Highly optimized for modern processors
    100% Firefox sourced: As safe as the browser that has seen years of development.
    Uses slightly less memory because of disabled redundant and optional code
    Significant speed increases for page drawing and script processing
    Stability: experience fewer browser crashes.
    Support for SVG and Canvas, and downloadable fonts including WOFF
    Support for HTML5 and WebGL
    Support for Firefox extensions (add-ons), themes and personas
    Support for OOPP (Out-of-process plugin execution)
    Able to use existing Firefox bookmarks and settings with this migration tool

Minimum system Requirements:
    Version 15.1

Windows XP SP3/Windows Vista/Windows 7/Server 2003 or later
    A processor with SSE2 support (see list of supported processors)
    256 MB of free RAM
    At least 50 MB of free (uncompressed) disk space

15.1>

This is a major update to the new v15.0 release, to address a fairly large number of issues with the initial version.

Important note:

From this release onwards, the system requirements for your operating system have changed: If you are still running Windows XP, you are required to have Service Pack 3 installed on it, or the browser will not start.

Bugfixes:

Restore Windows XP Professional x64 compatibility in the installer.
    Fix the mouse wheel smooth scrolling preferences in the preferences dialog box (did not work in v15.0)
    Prevent memory inflation on some integrated graphics drivers in canvas games
    Fix for private browsing mode (Firefox 15.0.1 top fix)
    Fix for Javascript stability issues on 32-bit versions

Regression fixes:

Restore the favicon in the URL bar. (Behavior change: new logic)
    Fix for top level images with transparency (white background)
    Remove noise from top level image background
    Undo the redesign of the Safe Mode dialog box
    Restore Alt-Click save dialog box
    Restore proper identity panel for domain-verified sites (blue panel)
    Restore support for the browser.identity.ssl_domain_display setting
    Restore address bar autofill preference to its desired default state (no autofill)

Added features:

Add control for a custom top level image background color
    Implement Direct2D brush caching (performance win)
    Implement multi-threaded box blur (performance win for multi-core systems)
    Add a Profile Reset feature (from Help -> Troubleshooting information)
    Build with a faster floating point method

15.0 27th August >

This is a new release based on the Gecko 15.0 code base with additional branch development. It incorporates many changes under the hood that go far beyond the scope of this document.

A few highlights, in addition to security fixes:

Performance improvements for the rendering engine
    More HTML 5 implemented
    Better handling of memory, resulting in smoother operation of the browser
    More responsive user interface when the browser is busy
    Prevention of memory leaks through add-ons
    Better implementation of the Quickdial page
    Localization of Pale Moon specific preferences and options (work in progress)
    Reinstatement of the previous user interface, keeping it in line with version 12 (Firefox 15 has UI changes that makes the controls flat, monochrome and borderless, which isn't desired for Pale Moon)
    The padlock has returned for secure pages! It can be found in front of the URL when you browse to a secure page, with optionally company information if supplied by the server

Some things new to the Firefox code base that are excluded or disabled by default:

Built-in PDF reader in javascript - use a standalone, dedicated reader
    (this is both a security and functionality consideration)
    Additional advanced web development tools - the average user never needs these
    Web apps on the desktop - Pale Moon is a browser, not a pseudo-OS
    Windows Metro UI
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can Pale Moon be run in parallel with Firefox or is it a case of one or the other?

I am interested to give it a try, but want to keep FF for now.
  • BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kept Firefox when I first started using Pale Moon. You can use one or the other but I rapidly came to use Pale Moon permanently.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads up. ☾
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kept Firefox when I first started using Pale Moon. You can use one or the other but I rapidly came to use Pale Moon permanently.

^ same as above, well worth a try .
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not heard of this before as my usual browser is Chrome since i dropped FF for being too buggy. First impressions of Palemoon are brilliant. Very fast installation using wine on Ubuntu 12.04 and the look is nice and clean with more space given for the website rather than bloated with toolbars and large icons.

I have tried a few of the usual browser heavy sites and played a few flash games with no problems, in fact it appears to run a lot smoother than Chrome so I might use it for a while just to see how it goes.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    palemoon is better than firefox, but I so used to my Chrome clone now. Palemoon still have the same problems with extensions as FF, update and a load of extensions don't work
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All my extensions / add ons work with Palemoon 15.1
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not heard of this before as my usual browser is Chrome since i dropped FF for being too buggy. First impressions of Palemoon are brilliant. Very fast installation using wine on Ubuntu 12.04 and the look is nice and clean with more space given for the website rather than bloated with toolbars and large icons.

I have tried a few of the usual browser heavy sites and played a few flash games with no problems, in fact it appears to run a lot smoother than Chrome so I might use it for a while just to see how it goes.

I thought I'd give it a go too and, as above, I'm quite impressed with the performance on Windows 7
    noise747 wrote: »
    palemoon is better than firefox, but I so used to my Chrome clone now. Palemoon still have the same problems with extensions as FF, update and a load of extensions don't work

All extensions for Firefox seem to work fine and it even looks like Chrome with the Chrome theme.
    Well pleased so far after a few days and I'm considering making it my default browser (currently Chrome)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using Firefox since back when it was called Firebird and stuck with it ever since.
    I gave Pale Moon a go a couple of months ago and I've not used Firefox since. All my Firefox add-ons are compatible with Pale Moon, it was a cinch importing all my bookmarks, add-ons and settings using the Pale Moon migration tool.
    It's a great browser and noticeably much faster, all my add-ons work (even those Firefox 15 and 16 deemed incompatible). It's pretty much what Firefox used to be like before it became bloated and buggy.
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Its all very well for you clever ppl on here saying "Ido this" "I do that" :D but for us numptys its best to stay with what we know and in my case thats not much LOL!
    I'm always too scared to be adventurous in case I mess up big time and then have to take the 'puter round the corner to the techie boys to sort out and of course that costs me dosh.
    I use firefox and with my infinity 1, happy bunny :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    All extensions for Firefox seem to work fine and it even looks like Chrome with the Chrome theme.
    Well pleased so far after a few days and I'm considering making it my default browser (currently Chrome)

It may look like chrome, but it is not chrome.
    Anyway, what I meant is that each version of FF that comes out it seems to have problems with extensions, since Pale moon is still FF, it will also have the same problems with each release.

I got fed up of updating FF only for my extensions not to work.

At least with Chrome or Dragon which I use, it don't matter how they update it, all my extensions always work.

i said it before and I will say it again, Mozilla lost the plot after version 3.5 and it don't matter how Pale moon dress it up, the browser is still firefox.

Shame really as I used to like Ff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmberPanda wrote: »
    Its all very well for you clever ppl on here saying "Ido this" "I do that" :D but for us numptys its best to stay with what we know and in my case thats not much LOL!
    I'm always too scared to be adventurous in case I mess up big time and then have to take the 'puter round the corner to the techie boys to sort out and of course that costs me dosh.
    I use firefox and with my infinity 1, happy bunny :D

Palemoon is firefox, but slightly better. still at least you are not using Internet Explorer that is a good thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not had any plug-in compatibility issues in last year with palemoon ,p.s. just ran update checker and flash has been updated to 11.4.402.287 ,have installed chrome a few time but it just crawls compared to plalemoon on my p.c./set-up ,wouldn't go near Fire Fox now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palemoon is firefox, but slightly better. still at least you are not using Internet Explorer that is a good thing.

Palemoon is not FF it's mozilla and way better IMO :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may look like chrome, but it is not chrome.
    Anyway, what I meant is that each version of FF that comes out it seems to have problems with extensions, since Pale moon is still FF, it will also have the same problems with each release.

I got fed up of updating FF only for my extensions not to work.

At least with Chrome or Dragon which I use, it don't matter how they update it, all my extensions always work.

i said it before and I will say it again, Mozilla lost the plot after version 3.5 and it don't matter how Pale moon dress it up, the browser is still firefox.

Shame really as I used to like Ff.

It's a Mozilla built ,but it's certainly no fire-fox,i have a few time also installed fire fox to try for comparison and used Ff before palemoon there is major gain's to be had depending on your processor /ram , nobody forcing anyone to use it ,that's personal choice ,i use loads of extensions and for about a year there has been no issue with extensions for me ,just gain ,firefox it aint and know that because i've tried both not just 'it's fire-fox it's fire-fox' without using the browser & commenting on something I've never used :p
    Forum Member
    Ok clever ppl what is the difference between Mozilla and Firefox, is Mozilla the name of the company and they build different browsers?.......firefox pale moon etc.
    What did linea mean when he said firefox was "bloated and buggy" is this some technical term ?
    I checked my "all programs" and it says I have Mozilla Firefox 15.0.1, Publisher Mozilla.
    Simple answers only please, thank you. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok clever ppl what is the difference between Mozilla and Firefox, is Mozilla the name of the company and they build different browsers?.......firefox pale moon etc.
    What did linea mean when he said firefox was "bloated and buggy" is this some technical term ?
    I checked my "all programs" and it says I have Mozilla Firefox 15.0.1, Publisher Mozilla.
    Simple answers only please, thank you. :)

Does these help to explain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Moon_%28web_browser%29

FWIW I've recently switched to Palemoon and find it quicker and more responsive than Firefox or Chrome.
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Does these help to explain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Moon_%28web_browser%29

FWIW I've recently switched to Palemoon and find it quicker and more responsive than Firefox or Chrome.

Thanks.....I have bookmarked those two pages as I can see there is a lot to read......:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mozilla corporation is the organisation which develops the Mozilla browser engine and Firefox is the official Mozilla browser.
    To simplify things, think of Mozilla as a construction company which builds houses, they lay the foundations, build the walls, put on the roof and do the basic plumbing. Now think of Firefox as a housing developer owned by Mozilla, who then takes the basic shell of the house and adds all the fittings, appliances, decoration and else everything needed to make the house usable by a member of the public.
    Using the same 'building a house' example, other developers can create their own homes by using the house built by Mozilla created and then developing it to suit their own customers.
    There are lots of other browsers like Camino for Apple Mac and K-Meleon for Linux which use Mozilla's source code as a foundation for their browsers.

As far as Firefox and Blue Moon are concered, Blue Moon is just a version of Firefox which an independant group have taken and customised specifically for Windows based PC's with modern processors, and also taken out lots of the unnecessary features which slow Firefox down.
    By 'bloated and buggy' I meant that Firefox had lots of unnecessary features and faults, which is now making it slow and unreliable.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    How does Youtube work on Pale Moon? And is there a Mac version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will there be a Mac version?
    No, Pale Moon is for Windows only.
    http://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml#Will_there_be_a_Mac_version

Certainly youtube is fine on Windows
    Forum Member
    linea wrote: »
    Mozilla corporation is the organisation which develops the Mozilla browser engine and Firefox is the official Mozilla browser.
    To simplify things, think of Mozilla as a construction company which builds houses, they lay the foundations, build the walls, put on the roof and do the basic plumbing. Now think of Firefox as a housing developer owned by Mozilla, who then takes the basic shell of the house and adds all the fittings, appliances, decoration and else everything needed to make the house usable by a member of the public.
    Using the same 'building a house' example, other developers can create their own homes by using the house built by Mozilla created and then developing it to suit their own customers.
    There are lots of other browsers like Camino for Apple Mac and K-Meleon for Linux which use Mozilla's source code as a foundation for their browsers.

As far as Firefox and Blue Moon are concered, Blue Moon is just a version of Firefox which an independant group have taken and customised specifically for Windows based PC's with modern processors, and also taken out lots of the unnecessary features which slow Firefox down.

By 'bloated and buggy' I meant that Firefox had lots of unnecessary features and faults, which is now making it slow and unreliable.
    Ok, thank you for the information, I expect people who work from home need a far more sophisticated system than I need, I'm just your average surfer and since I was able to get Infinity1 FF just suits me fine.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought i'd give it a try and i'm very impressed. would i be right in saying i can copy my firefox profile over to palemoon directly to save me having to re-log in to all my sites ?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Mozilla still get the google search cash to cover development and support costs for this Gecko engine?