Robin Galloway

calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
Forum Member
✭✭
Radio presenter and prankster has now cancelled his prank show following the nurse suicide... His show while funny, went too far at times too... to me its dangerous and silly.. when they dont know if the person on the other end of the phone might be ill.. worried. grieving, or whatever, but they dont seem to care. they need the ratings for their show... thankfully Robin has pulled the plug.... and thanks for it.. http://news168.co.uk/news/hoax-call-ceasefire-from-clyde-1s-robin-galloway-after-royal-prank-call-nurse-commits-suicide

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all pranks are bad though - it's if the programme knows or suspects it could be crossing the boundaries.

In this one, for example, I think the pizza shop owner is brilliant (I know we're supposed to be laughing at him but he doesn't stand it for one moment): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0TxfwB3BWQ

How would a prank call like that cause harm?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local radio used to have "The Old Woman" who was someone impersonating a old lady with obvious confusion and dementia, who would then ring up local businesses. It was knee spankingly funny.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What increasingly passes as humour these days is in fact watching or listening to the humiliation of others. The Jeremy Kyle show and all similar ones. The late night phone ins, particularly Friday and Saturdays where the drunk and the crazy are encouraged to voice all sorts of bizarre rubbish. The pranking of people in order to watch their discomfort. Does all this make us feel a little bit superior, a little bit smug? Personally I find none of it remotely entertaining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    What increasingly passes as humour these days is in fact watching or listening to the humiliation of others. The Jeremy Kyle show and all similar ones. The late night phone ins, particularly Friday and Saturdays where the drunk and the crazy are encouraged to voice all sorts of bizarre rubbish. The pranking of people in order to watch their discomfort. Does all this make us feel a little bit superior, a little bit smug? Personally I find none of it remotely entertaining.

Maybe you're just a bit too sensitive - many of us grew up watching It's A Knockout and learned that laughing at others is often fine as long as no-one is being seriously hurt or disrespected. I'm sure there were more programmes like that or the whole prank-style of humour wouldn't have endured as it has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve_Dyer wrote: »
    Maybe you're just a bit too sensitive - many of us grew up watching It's A Knockout and learned that laughing at others is often fine as long as no-one is being seriously hurt or disrespected. I'm sure there were more programmes like that or the whole prank-style of humour wouldn't have endured as it has.

Wasnt keen on Its a knockout either:D
    It was a tea time show for mainly kids and was harmless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been pranked many times and to be honest i thought it was funny as hell. I guess I am able to laugh at myself though. Pranks are fine if you know the person you are pranking, or a family member of the person you are being pranked is behind because you know the state of that persons mind.

The problem with the royal prank is that it was on the back of a family, that for some reason are worshipped and fawned on by a large section of the public and the media. It was bound to gain notoriety and international press (although it never should have) and in turn brought an innocent nurse into the publics outraged clutches.

The premise of the prank was funny imho but I think they were dabbling in something that would obviously get out of hand.

They did not think it through
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are hard to please ;)
    It was a tea time show for mainly kids and was harmless.

Not at all, my parents loved it and it was mainly adults who took part - and, if I remember correctly, a couple of Royals as well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are hard to please ;)

Not at all, my parents loved it and it was mainly adults who took part - and, if I remember correctly, a couple of Royals as well!

Prince Edward hosted that diabolical Royal Its a Knockout. It was family entertainment. Not my cup of tea but many enjoyed it. At least the poeple taking part volunteered .
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Not all pranks are bad though - it's if the programme knows or suspects it could be crossing the boundaries.

In this one, for example, I think the pizza shop owner is brilliant (I know we're supposed to be laughing at him but he doesn't stand it for one moment): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0TxfwB3BWQ

How would a prank call like that cause harm?

I'm sure it didn't do his blood pressure much good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prince Edward hosted that diabolical Royal Its a Knockout. It was family entertainment. Not my cup of tea but many enjoyed it. At least the poeple taking part volunteered .

I didn't watch it on later episodes, too busy doing other stuff and missed, what was reported in the same vein as you have said the Royal bit.

With the phone-ins, most are pre-recorded and people will have been asked for permission to air the prank and they will, of course, have the right to say no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    I'm sure it didn't do his blood pressure much good!

I'm sure it's no worse than dealing with the drunks that eventually turn up in his shop except they are there in flesh and blood!
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't most of Robin's 'victims' set up by family members though?
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Aren't most of Robin's 'victims' set up by family members though?

Yes they are. And he doesn't just phone them willy nilly - he researches first to find out what prank will work best and not cause offence.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UhfiWXTBPWU

:D
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Yes they are. And he doesn't just phone them willy nilly - he researches first to find out what prank will work best and not cause offence.

His CD of wind-ups was being advertised on some of the Bauer owned fm stations in Scotland (Tay FM and Forth 1 - may have been on others as well) last week.
    I wonder if they will drop the advertising in light of recent events?