Richard Pryor: Storyville - BBC4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just started. Has begun well and should be well worth watching for fans of stand-up and its history.

He died in 2005. How time flies.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Fascinating documentary, just goes to show that you can sometimes be too talented.He was a genius comedian with a self-destructive streak.Great to see the footage of him at the height of his creative talents.
  • SarlaccSarlacc Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    This was fantastic btw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was really good, it tackled RP's demons head on, as well as his amazing talent and appeal cross boundaries.

Made you sad that someone so talented was so messed up, but then again that's probably where the genius and observations came from.
    Forum Member
    I found it interesting that his mum was barely mentioned, his grandmother appears to have been a central figure in his life.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This started off well, but as soon as they veered away from the on screen timeline, it became a cluttered mess. You had no idea at what point in his life half of these events took place, which is a real shame as the content was very interesting.
    Forum Member
    I thought it was actually quite good, though I think it could actually have been longer, there was so much material to draw on. It's a shame Bill Cosby and Eddie Murphy didn't want to be interviewed.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genius. I didn't know anything about this, any repeats?
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know if this was an edited version of a longer documentary? I've noticed that this is often the case with 'Storyville' programmes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribute wrote: »
    Anyone know if this was an edited version of a longer documentary? I've noticed that this is often the case with 'Storyville' programmes.

That would make sense given the way it flew through his life after the fire incident and, as someone has said, the rather manic editing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the concert after was hilairious.suprised no mention was made of gene wilder.they made a few fims together so I suppose they were a bit of a double act for a while.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genius. I didn't know anything about this, any repeats?

iPlayer, as is the hour of standup, but it's repeated one more time on TV, the standup isn't

Thursday night/Friday morning 12.15am-1.35am, BBC Four
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purplegem wrote: »
    I found it interesting that his mum was barely mentioned, his grandmother appears to have been a central figure in his life.

Yes he was raised in his grandmother's brothel, that might explain a bit how he became a bit disturbed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Very interesting individual. Hate to say it, but he was what you may call a prick: abusive in many different ways, adulterer, married literally for the hell of it, kids with several women, firing people for reasons people still don't understand, carried on destroying himself after heart attacks and other health problems etc. But then you take into account his upbringing and rapid rise to fame in the early 70's. The thing is, he was insanely brave on stage: he admitted to everything at a whim and that is what made his act so funny and original. Plus he was just a true natural at comedy and decent actor.

I'm surprised studio execs gave him a big role in Superman III amidst his actions. Guess it was testament to his talent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    L_Roberts wrote: »
    I'm surprised studio execs gave him a big role in Superman III amidst his actions. Guess it was testament to his talent.

Wasn't Superman III the shockingly bad one shot on a tiny budget in Milton Keynes?

Edit: Nope, that was Superman IV.
    Forum Member
    Guilty pleasure but when I was growing up I loved superman three!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    iPlayer, as is the hour of standup, but it's repeated one more time on TV, the standup isn't

Thursday night/Friday morning 12.15am-1.35am, BBC Four

Thanks, I've seen all his stand ups anyway. There's supposed to have been a biopic on the cards for about 15 years hope that happens
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I've seen all his stand ups anyway. There's supposed to have been a biopic on the cards for about 15 years hope that happens

That would be interesting, I wonder who they would get to play him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    loonattic wrote: »
    the concert after was hilairious.suprised no mention was made of gene wilder.they made a few fims together so I suppose they were a bit of a double act for a while.

Brilliant documentary. I grew up more on Eddie Murphy who was the new kid on the block at the time...but after watching RP in concert, you understand how much Eddie 'stole' from RP - the cursing, the subject matter and really obviously, his impersonation of 'white' men.

The Gene Wilder thing?
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    Brilliant documentary. I grew up more on Eddie Murphy who was the new kid on the block at the time...but after watching RP in concert, you understand how much Eddie 'stole' from RP - the cursing, the subject matter and really obviously, his impersonation of 'white' men.

The Gene Wilder thing?

I've read somewhere that Wilder had difficulties with Pryor's behaviour on set - turning up late, throwing strops, etc.
  • Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seemed to be happy as a mainstream comic then ditched that after discovering that swearing was the heaven sent way to be funnier [?] talking about Mutha - fuggers, N*****s, and chasing and achieving lots of, what he called, Poo-Say.

Not really a fan, 50% swearing and 50% funny stuff, take away the cussing and he's just a Lenny Bruce clone but without the class.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be interesting, I wonder who they would get to play him?

There's been a few names thrown about but the last I heard was Marlon Wayans

Caught this on iplayer finally (without the stand up, which I've seen), it was a bit 'choppy' it started with his first tv appearance and went back to his childhood about halfway through. I also think if I hadn't seen any of his stand up, this documentary wouldn't have convinced me he was very funny. I did enjoy it though
    Forum Member
    There's been a few names thrown about but the last I heard was Marlon Wayans

Caught this on iplayer finally (without the stand up, which I've seen), it was a bit 'choppy' it started with his first tv appearance and went back to his childhood about halfway through. I also think if I hadn't seen any of his stand up, this documentary wouldn't have convinced me he was very funny. I did enjoy it though
    Not sure about Marlon wayans, maybe they should go with an unknown. The film would definitely have to be an 18 with all the swearing.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have missed this, do you think they will repeat it?
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I have missed this, do you think they will repeat it?

Don't know, but it is still on bbc iplayer.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    Not sure about Marlon wayans, maybe they should go with an unknown. The film would definitely have to be an 18 with all the swearing.

No s**t!