Sky multiroom

TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm interested in getting multiroom for the bedroom upstairs but it won't be anywhere near a phone connection so is it still possible to have multiroom with a phone line? Also, I have BT Sport and Boxnation and is it possible to get these on the second box? Thanks

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    multiroom requires ALL your boxes be connected to a phone line.

BT sport is not supplied by sky, so you need to speak to BT regarding the second box, however i believe you need to pay extra for it.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have BT BB so hopefully I won't have to pay but i will ask. Also, my sky box i have now isn't connected to a phone line and never has been so I thought I'd be able to get away with it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I have BT BB so hopefully I won't have to pay but i will ask. Also, my sky box i have now isn't connected to a phone line and never has been so I thought I'd be able to get away with it

single boxes don't require to be connected, but once you have multiroom it will have to be connected (along with the multiroom box).
  • Kris77Kris77 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    We have multiroom and yes all boxes must be connected to a phone line. As far as BT Sport is concerned I believe BT will only authorise one box but you will have to contact them and ask. No idea about Boxnation though I'm afraid
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    You can now connect your boxes to a broadband router i believe. (Its the message i get when i reboot)
    As for BT Sport, you can have it on as many boxes as you want, but you have to pay an individual sub for each box (£12 for SD or £15 for HD per month)
  • notachancenotachance Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    You can now connect your boxes to a broadband router i believe. (Its the message i get when i reboot)

You can, but not for multi room verification. That still requires a phone line for now.

Whoever comes to fit the box should run a phone line to it, regardless of whether or not there's a telephone point in the same room.
  • nicklbnicklb Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I have multi room but none of my boxes are connected to a phone line been multi room for three years and downstairs has not been connected to a line for over ten years although numerous upgrades eg plus, hd and 1 terabyte don't worry about it
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    nicklb wrote: »
    I have multi room but none of my boxes are connected to a phone line been multi room for three years and downstairs has not been connected to a line for over ten years although numerous upgrades eg plus, hd and 1 terabyte don't worry about it

Just because a small number of people "get away with it", doesn't mean the vast majority don't. So it's pretty poor advice to "don't worry about it".

However, for any multiroom install done by Sky the installer should connect all boxes to the phone (and he's paid to do so), so in case of action by Sky get them back out to do it properly.
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have multiroom and i have only one of our boxes connected to the phone line and Sky have never contacted me about it at all.
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of people HAVE been contacted. So, I wouldn't risk it.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom123 wrote: »
    Plenty of people HAVE been contacted. So, I wouldn't risk it.

I've been contacted twice. Once was after someone had decided to mangle the modem lead in the hoover, the other was about 6 weeks after I had done some decorating and forgot to reconnect the box to the phone line.

Mind you they do give you a couple of weeks to get things sorted out.

There was a wonderful thread on this topic a few years ago, either on here or on AVF, and someone posted that their boxes had never been connected to the phone line and was paying something like £105 a month for Sky World. Then it was pointed out that Sky World multiroom was only around £64. Apparently he had been paying two full subscriptions for the best part of two years. :):)
  • hall2056hall2056 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I had the new style wifi box installed in my daughter bedroom yesterday with no phone line!:confused:
    No mention was made of a phone line, so now unsure what is correct??

thanks
    hall2056
  • michaelalanrmichaelalanr Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a SkyHD box installed into the bedroom on Saturday, the engineer connected this to the phone socket in the bedroom and also ensured that my Sky+HD box downstairs was connected to the telephone line (which it already was).

Its my understanding that the engineer shouldn't leave without doing so!

Mike

Edit: hall2056 did the engineer put a sticker on the back on the remote control with his phone number and email address? as the guy installing mine did. I would call him back out and get him to connect it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hall2056 wrote: »
    I had the new style wifi box installed in my daughter bedroom yesterday with no phone line!:confused:

the engineer should have connected it to the telephone line, along with your existing box.
  • hall2056hall2056 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I had a SkyHD box installed into the bedroom on Saturday, the engineer connected this to the phone socket in the bedroom and also ensured that my Sky+HD box downstairs was connected to the telephone line (which it already was).

Its my understanding that the engineer shouldn't leave without doing so!

Mike

Edit: hall2056 did the engineer put a sticker on the back on the remote control with his phone number and email address? as the guy installing mine did. I would call him back out and get him to connect it up.
    I will check to see if there is a label there tonight, however I am in two minds as a) it would be unsightly to run a tel. cable from the ground floor to the bedroom and b) why do I need my daughters box to be connected?
    N.B. - the main box in lounge is connected with tel. cable
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I will check to see if there is a label there tonight, however I am in two minds as a) it would be unsightly to run a tel. cable from the ground floor to the bedroom and b) why do I need my daughters box to be connected?

Multi room installations require a phoneline connection so Sky can make periodical checks making sure both boxes are being used at the same address.

The additional box subscription costs just over a tenner a month, if there's no phone line connection Sky can't keep trace of additional boxes being installed at third party addresses for cheap entertainment.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member

As it was installed by Sky simply ignore it - UNLESS you start getting letters from Sky about it, if you ignore those they will start charging you full price.

If you get a letter simply ring Sky, and tell them the installer didn't connect it, and never mentioned it had to be - it's then down to Sky if they want to send another installer to do the job properly.

It has been suggested that in the future (but no suggestion as to when that might be) authentication will be done via networking instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Callbacks through local network is coming very soon, think the development team are just working the kinks out.

I believe the new software for the DRX595 with the network options is on the DR stream now?

On holiday at the moment and haven't had an extra box job for a while so can't confirm.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hope network verification is coming soon...means I can finally have multiroom!!
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You need all sky boxes connected to a telephone line if you have sky multi room. This is so sky can verify that all the boxes are in the same house.
  • Stephen93Stephen93 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Multiroom had the box for 18 months,

when it was installed the engineer connected he phone line but the plug was at the other end of a 12' room, he didn't secure it it was there for everyone to trip over, also it was the broadband telephone socket it was plugged into, when phone line was connected to the Sky box it cut the Internet off,
    I did ring him & he said there was nothing he could do, so I don't leave it plugged in.

Sky have never contacted me to say it's not connected to a phone line.

PS. I have Sky Broadband but the telephone socket was put in when we first had broadband with bt before Sky started theirs. It was £49 a month, that tell you how long ago it was.

Steve
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    My multiroom box is nowhere near a phone line. I use wireless phone senders - not the cheapest solution but an effective one.

Back in the day when my sons were at home and we had 2 multiroom boxes we were continually hassled by Sky for not having one of them connected to the phone line (it was). It was eventually tracked down to a fault in one of the boxes. However I received several letters about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    If Sky used engineers the jobs would be done properly. They don't so now customers are caught out.

why would you need an "engineer" to fit a dish on a wall and run a cable to a STB.

think you have a misunderstanding to what an "engineer" actually is.

these are guys are installers, and this is the correct term to use.