Christmas adverts

yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
Forum Member
✭✭
The Christmas adverts seemed to roll in during the xfactor on Saturday and haven't stopped. Am I just a Scrooge or is there way to many and way to early for Christmas adverts?

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too many and too soon IMO, puts huge pressure on people to have unrealistic ideas of what Christmas is too. :(
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I suppose they have to keep up with the supermarkets.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, it'll be creme eggs before you know it.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really keen on any of the big Xmas ads this year. Mind you the Morrisons one is ok as it is more overtly Christmassy and light hearted whereas ones like Debenhams and M&S just come across as twee and and more Winter than Christmas. And I'm afraid Lily Allen completely ruins the John Lewis one.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of them are "pass the sickbucket" jobs, as has become the fashion in recent years.
    I don't know about you, but feeling queasy has never made me want to rush to a shop and by something ( apart from immodium of course ;))

I like the Aldi and Morrisons ones ( even though that one has got Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dummer in it :rolleyes:) because they tell you about their products but at the same time they have a Christmassy feel without being mawkish.

I also like the M&S one because I love Alice In Wonderland.

My least faves are John Lewis ( puke) and Tescos ( puke again). If I didn't actually know what these shops sold I wouldn't glean any clue from those adverts.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly I haven't seen one advert since I got my Tivo box.
    I record and f/f.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just put mute on when the ads come on, it is far too early for Christmas in my book. It is still autumn. They usually start coming on around my mates birthday which is 18 October. Too early
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just doesn't sound right when we have fireworks going oiff outside and a remembrance ceremony to be seeing Christmas already ! At least get one thing out of the way before rushing forward into the next. No wonder people seem to have concentration spans of gnats these days !
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get the John Lewis ad. Why would it persuade someone to shop there? It has nothing to do with Christmas.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are a business that will make more money in an 8 week period that the rest of the year, of course you are going to advertise at the earliest opportunity.

But, why does it snow in most adverts with street scenes when we know it is more likely to start in January ?

Do people really have the big parties and social gatherings you see in ads like Isme, Iceland and Tesco ?

Most people who complain about too early are the ones who say, 'Oh I wish it was summer, nice and warm, long walks'. I dread it.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    You are a business that will make more money in an 8 week period that the rest of the year, of course you are going to advertise at the earliest opportunity.

But, why does it snow in most adverts with street scenes when we know it is more likely to start in January ?

Do people really have the big parties and social gatherings you see in ads like Isme, Iceland and Tesco ?

Most people who complain about too early are the ones who say, 'Oh I wish it was summer, nice and warm, long walks'. I dread it.

?:confused: I don't think it's got anything to do people wishing it was summer. It's the fact that they are advertising Chrismas earlier and earlier each year, putting pressure on people to spend money a lot of people don't have. Ads for Christmas the first week of November is ridiculous.
  • Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that annoys me more than the Christmas adverts is the sales. They used to be called the "January sales" because that's when they started - 2nd January.

I've never worked in retail, but I feel sorry for those that do. Having to stay 'til all hours on Christmas Eve to get the shop ready, Christmas Day off then back again at the crack of a sparrow's fart on Boxing Day to start all over again. It's like Scrooge and Bob Cratchit. Would it really hurt people not to go shopping on a Boxing Day and let the poor sods have an extra day off? Sure, I know they probably get paid more for it as it's a recognised holiday, but FFS, it's Boxing Day!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the john lewis (the bear and the hare) one on saturday. I'm not normally soppy but I'm a huge animal lover and we used to have a house rabbit (he sadly died 3 years ago aged 7). It reminded me of watership down, which I cannot watch (scarred from childhood by that) and had bright eyes come on, I probably would have cried. It also makes me think about our rabbit (not a hare I know) and my final ever journey with him to the vets (as my wife couldn't bring herself to come along) and that also makes me terribly sad.

However, the 'message' is a little strange to me. at least with the M&S ad you get sight of actual christmas products. with JL its really just an alarm clock
  • drwhorudrwhoru Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    i love christmas, and to be perfectly honest starting the Christmas spirit early is better for everyone!

i really enjoyed the majority of the ads on saturday and in all honesty people should lighten up a bit!
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as that vile Littlewoods advert with the laptops and flashy watches doesn't rear it's igy head again I don't care.

All I need is the Coca Cola advert and I'll be happy. :D
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Tesco ad is awful.They changed to a format of using old songs to match the scenario on screen about a year ago and that's worked well so why produce such a shoddy Christmas effort?:confused::(
    'There's nothing better than Christmas' (sic) is also a risible 'Festive' slogan..........:rolleyes:
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally off putting seeing all these Christmas adverts. Too many too soon.
    Half the time, I don't understand what the story of the advert is about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    don't understand the John Lewis one. Why is a hare waking up a Bear with an annoying alarm clock Christmassy? the bear is being woken up early, if I was the bear I'd eat the hare for waking me up and go back to bed till spring.

One thing I do notice, is they all make christmas seem magical and happy. Theres nothing magical about over spending, stress of overspending, increased drunkeness and family arguments and busier shops. And why is a fizzy drink about Holidays (its 2 days in the UK... my holidays are a coming in Jan when I get to gatwick ) suddenly the thing that makes christmas?

And then what happens in Jan, the adverts stop, the magic goes, the bills come in, the apologies have to be made (drunken behaviour or family arguments) the lights come down, the realism that its still 3 months till the clocks change sets it. And some arse on facebook is already counting down, wishing the year away till next christmas.

Bah humbug - its Netflix and streaming for me till January to avoid all this I think :):)
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The floodgates do seem to have suddenly opened. From the odd one here and there they've just arrived en mass and I'm already a bit sick of it.

Time to start recording shows more and skipping the adverts.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Argos alien one.

Shaved beard Santa! :eek:
  • Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoughts on the Oldrids & Downtown one? For those in the ITV Yorkshire region...
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Let me guess, does it have flat caps, whippets and brown ale?
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the john lewis (the bear and the hare) one on saturday. I'm not normally soppy but I'm a huge animal lover and we used to have a house rabbit (he sadly died 3 years ago aged 7). It reminded me of watership down, which I cannot watch (scarred from childhood by that) and had bright eyes come on, I probably would have cried. It also makes me think about our rabbit (not a hare I know) and my final ever journey with him to the vets (as my wife couldn't bring herself to come along) and that also makes me terribly sad.

However, the 'message' is a little strange to me. at least with the M&S ad you get sight of actual christmas products. with JL its really just an alarm clock

I thought it was a bit sad too. It reminded me too of Watership Down and I can't watch that film to this day from my childhood and don't even get me started on Bright Eyes because I will start to cry. It's not easy bringing a loving pet when it's ill but sometimes these things have to be done.
    Strange type of advert because JL always put on a good one at this type of year
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I like the Argos alien one.

Shaved beard Santa! :eek:

I find that part of the advert disturbing even my 6 year old looked at me when she saw it first
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Don't worry, it'll be creme eggs before you know it.

The green gooey ones are still out from Halloween :D