Options

Microlabs FC330 speakers with Panasonic TV

Dear all,

I love my Panasonic Plasma, but the sound is pretty dire. I bought a Panasonic Speakerboard to go with it, but had to send it back as it was faulty. I know you should not go off one bad piece of kit, but it makes me nervous about getting another one. I looked around for alternatives and saw these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microlabs-FC330-Model-System-Speaker/dp/B0040N3BQI/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

would they be any good? anyway I could control the volume using the tv remote?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy22 wrote: »
    Dear all,

I love my Panasonic Plasma, but the sound is pretty dire. I bought a Panasonic Speakerboard to go with it, but had to send it back as it was faulty. I know you should not go off one bad piece of kit, but it makes me nervous about getting another one. I looked around for alternatives and saw these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microlabs-FC330-Model-System-Speaker/dp/B0040N3BQI/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

would they be any good? anyway I could control the volume using the tv remote?

Thanks
    They will certainly make a noise provided there is a way to connect them to the telly. Whether that noise is in anyway acceptable is only something you can say.

If you have a headphone socket on the telly then plug the speakers into that and you can use the telly remote to control the noise level. The speakers also have a volume control. So you may have to experiment a bit with setting both TV and speaker volumes. As long as neither control is operating close to zero you should be OK. Having them somewhere round half way is preferable.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    As long as neither control is operating close to zero you should be OK. Having them somewhere round half way is preferable.

I would suggest otherwise - for a start have the speaker volume turned right up, and use the Panasonic TV volume to control your volume. If it's too high at that (i.e. the TV volume needs to be turned down really low) then turn the speaker volume down until you get a normal range from the TV volume.

Then hide the speaker remote control in a draw :D

People generally don't understand how a 'volume' control works, it doesn't actually control the 'volume' at all, it simply attenuates the incoming full strength signal.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit puzzled by the full Product Description which says;
    "Box Contains
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 Graphics Card;Quick Installation Guide;Installation CD;One DVI-to-VGA adapter;One 6-pin PCIe to Molex power adapter" :confused:

AFAIK there's no remote control with the speakers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest otherwise - for a start have the speaker volume turned right up, and use the Panasonic TV volume to control your volume. If it's too high at that (i.e. the TV volume needs to be turned down really low) then turn the speaker volume down until you get a normal range from the TV volume.

Then hide the speaker remote control in a draw :D

People generally don't understand how a 'volume' control works, it doesn't actually control the 'volume' at all, it simply attenuates the incoming full strength signal.

If the speaker volume control has to be set close to zero then that implies too much level coming out of the TV. Which could mean distortion, either by driving the TV output too hard or feeding too much signal into the front end of the speaker.

If the TV volume is running close to zero then you compromise the signal to noise ratio. It also does not give you much fine control over volume levels.

So you need to strike a happy balance where neither device is running close to distortion at high volume nor into noise at lower volume and you have a decent range of control over volume.

But if you re-read what we both said I think you'll find we are more or less saying the same thing :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    "Box Contains
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 Graphics Card;Quick Installation Guide;Installation CD;One DVI-to-VGA adapter;One 6-pin PCIe to Molex power adapter" :confused:

I think some one has cocked up somewhere. :)

Amazon need to employ better proof readers methinks. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many panasonic televisions have a headphone volume setting in the menu. Though I don't know how this affects the master volume control.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    "Box Contains

If it comes with a GFX card in the box - BARGAIN! how much is one anyway?