Options

Problem with Panasonic SU-HTB15 TV speakers

Hello everyone, I currently have the above speaker system for my TV.
My TV is a Toshiba 37 RV635 D.

The speakers were connected via the Digital Audio port.

The sound over the last couple of months became intermittent until a point when it stopped altogether. It seems the port on my speaker system no longer works.

I also have HDMI ports on the back of my speaker.

I am at a loss as to how to now connect the television to the speakers.

I have no HDMI out ports on my Tv, the only one I have is on the back of my Sky Box which is obviously already in use.... Help...!

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you use the internal tuner in the TV or only ever use Sky?

If you use Sky exclusively then what you could do is connect the HDMI on the Sky box to one of the HDMI INs on the speaker system and the HDMI OUT on the speaker system to the TV.

Then select the HDMI input you are using on the speaker system and that will extract the audio from the feed from the Sky box and pass the pictures on to the telly.

If however you do use the TV's built in tuner you need to sort out the optical connection. The speaker system does have ARC on the HDMI out. But the TV does not appear to have ARC on any of it's HDMI inputs. ARC is Audio Return Channel and allows a compatible TV to send audio back down the HDMI lead to a sound system. But that does not appear to be an option in this instance.

So if the optical route is required you need to check the optical cable is securely connected. it only has to be pulled out a little to go intermittent. Some sockets have a little spring loaded flap on them to keep dust out.This flap folds out of the way when you insert the plug. The flap also acts as a securing aid for the plug. If it fails the plug can become loose in the socket. Again making it intermittent. Sometimes a small bit of card pushed down the side of the plug can make the connection more secure.

It is also very easy to break an optical lead, especially some of the cheaper and thinner cables given away with some kit I've seen. So always possible the lead is cream crackered, hence might be worth trying a substitute if you can lay your hands on one.

But as I say if you only ever watch Sky then connect via the speaker system and problem solved. And a second HDMI if you need a DVD\Blu-Ray player.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Cheers that worked.... Only problem is that I get no sound whatsoever from the TV...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The optical lead is okay by the way... The little door on the back of the speakers has disappeared... And when you look at it you do not see a read light.... Any other tips as to improve the spend further..?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .... Sorry sound further...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BarryCh wrote: »
    Cheers that worked.... Only problem is that I get no sound whatsoever from the TV...

You don't want sound from the TV. Otherwise why bother with the speakers? Having the TV speakers on is only likely to degrade the sound quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BarryCh wrote: »
    The optical lead is okay by the way... The little door on the back of the speakers has disappeared... And when you look at it you do not see a read light.... Any other tips as to improve the spend further..?

If the flap on the optical socket has gone then that is likely the cause of the problem. The plug is probably loose in the socket and so not making a reliable connection.

And you won't see a red light on an optical input. Only outputs emit light.

And if you want to improve the sound. Chuck the sound bar away and invest in a proper AV system with a decent receiver and speakers.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way if you do want to use the optical connection try the small piece of card down the side of the socket trick. If it holds the plug in the socket securely that might sort it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help again... It was given to me when my later father in law passed away so I don't really want to get rid of it for something better... I have tried everything with the optical lead but will try your suggestions...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't suppose you know the Sky remote code for a Kenmark TV do you...?