Anyone Else Sick Of London Focused TV?

Tiernan_MccarthTiernan_Mccarth Posts: 218
Forum Member
Just wanted to know if anyone else is annoyed by the constant focus on London over the rest of the UK.

One of the biggest culprits is Good Morning Britain. GMB was focusing on fog over London meanwhile in NI the First Minister was agreeing with an anti Muslim reverent on claims that Islam is 'Evil' and shouldn't be trusted (An MLA even broke down into tears on camera and stated she was leaving NI yet not a blip on itv). Then 4 days later fog passes London and spreads all over UK and not one mention of rest of UK. Rest of UK is covered in smog like substance yet GMB stays silent as it's passed London. Furthermore, the title sequence shows a shot of London (Apparently London represents Britain and NI).

Another thong is that most news programmes feature window shots of London and nowhere else in UK. All this is because most of the media work and live in London and therefore favour it. Surely the must realise that 5 times more people live in UK than in London, so why focus there?>:(>:(>:(

Comments

• ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another thong is that most news programmes feature window shots of London and nowhere else in UK. All this is because most of the media work and live in London and therefore favour it. Surely the must realise that 5 times more people live in UK than in London, so why focus there?>:(>:(>:(

Of the main news programmes I can think of, any that have window shots are of nothing other than their own newsrooms, with the exception of Channel 4, whose window overlooks the atrium of the building the studio is housed in (the newsroom being to the left).
  • Beer GirlBeer Girl Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    This country is very London focused. The wrest of us should get something every now ans then. Norwich, Plymouth, and New Castle all have potential.
  • humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it affects the local reporters (in London) it gets a mention. There are so parochial and frankly a bit silly. Completely unprofessional.

These days because a lot of the BBC are based in Manchester we get all the Mancs trivia
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beer Girl wrote: »
    This country is very London focused. The wrest of us should get something every now ans then. Norwich, Plymouth, and New Castle all have potential.

wrest? ans? New Castle
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. the pedantic ones are on the loose tonight steveh31
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    humbug333 wrote: »
    Oh dear. the pedantic ones are on the loose tonight steveh31

Yep it's hot humid and that makes you pedantic lol;-) tv is not as London centric as it used to be.
  • Tiernan_MccarthTiernan_Mccarth Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Of the main news programmes I can think of, any that have window shots are of nothing other than their own newsrooms, with the exception of Channel 4, whose window overlooks the atrium of the building the studio is housed in (the newsroom being to the left).

Maybe not news programmes as much but I know GMB does it as did GMTV. This Morning also does it
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London is the capital city of the UK whether people like it or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe not news programmes as much but I know GMB does it as did GMTV. This Morning also does it

This Morning does it because it over looks London like it over looked Liverpool Docks they can't really change the view.
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »

And... More people live outside of it than inside and even though it is capital I dont think fog over it deserves to bump sectarian politicians amongst other news stories
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    YES

The move by the BBC to Manchester has done jack sh**

The BBC in particular are still very very southern bias.

Weather reports in particular. Northwest and Central England never gets a mention in forcasts. It usually South, SouthWest, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland, East Coast, London, South South South East.

Its pretty common to have a report or news story from London that belongs on Regional not National news too.
  • AliKatAliKat Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I get annoyed with the Manchester bias shown by many broadcasters, Birmingham is the Second City of this country, something I feel broadcasters forget. The BBC's presence in Birmingham is a joke, and ITV not much better.
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    YES

The move by the BBC to Manchester has done jack sh**

The BBC in particular are still very very southern bias.

Weather reports in particular. Northwest and Central England never gets a mention in forcasts. It usually South, SouthWest, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland, East Coast, London, South South South East.

Its pretty common to have a report or news story from London that belongs on Regional not National news too.

Exactly. Even with your weather point, it could be the same weather all over the UK however they will simply go ''as for Scotland and Northern Ireland there will be some showers. Moving down south...'' (talks about London and southern England for 5 minutes)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will never forget Francis Wilson with Sky News Weather going through different parts of the country and then getting to London. He stated and I do not jest. "and now London, where most people live" and he meant it. !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. Even with your weather point, it could be the same weather all over the UK however they will simply go ''as for Scotland and Northern Ireland there will be some showers. Moving down south...'' (talks about London and southern England for 5 minutes)

The weather map tour is flawed as to go around the country in a circle it cannot cover middle England, this has always been a problem, like when they first started it Yorkshire and Lincolnshire never got a forecast as the temp showed Manchester or Norwich neither which told us what it would be with the Pennines in the way.

Also when they started it Scotland was seen as smaller because of the angle, they never quite get it right.
    Forum Member
    I will never forget Francis Wilson with Sky News Weather going through different parts of the country and then getting to London. He stated and I do not jest. "and now London, where most people live" and he meant it. !

I forgot than 9 million people was more than the 55 million elsewhere in the UK lol
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And... More people live outside of it than inside and even though it is capital I dont think fog over it deserves to bump sectarian politicians amongst other news stories

But more people (4x) live in London than the whole of NI :D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And rather a lot of the population of the UK live in that area.

Watching TV here in Scotland it seems Glasgow and Edinburgh centric. In all the time I have lived here I have never seen a STV vehicle, BBC plenty of times but never STV.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect he meant that more people live in London than any other place in the UK, rather than more people live in London than in the rest of the UK combined.
    Forum Member
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    But more people (4x) live in London than the whole of NI :D

Yes but fog is local weather. The FIRST MINISTER of a ''quarter'' of the UK stating that Muslims are untrustworthy and agreeing with a man who said that Muslims throughout THE WHOLE OF THE UK are part of evil cells. And its almost 5 times actually :D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    And rather a lot of the population of the UK live in that area.

Watching TV here in Scotland it seems Glasgow and Edinburgh centric. In all the time I have lived here I have never seen a STV vehicle, BBC plenty of times but never STV.

England 53,012,456
    South East 8,634,750
    - Greater London 8,173,941
    - North West 7,052,177
    - East 5,846,965
    - West Midlands 5,601,847
    - South West 5,288,935
    - Yorkshire and the Humber 5,283,733
    - East Midlands 4,533,222
    - North East 2,596,886

Scotland 5,295,000
    Wales 3,063,456
    Northern Ireland 1,810,863
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thong is that most news programmes feature window shots of London and nowhere else in UK. All this is because most of the media work and live in London and therefore favour it. Surely the must realise that 5 times more people live in UK than in London, so why focus there

Would you not expect to see London views through a window in London? Did you expect to see Snowdon, the Bristol Channel, or herds of Wildbeste racing across the plains of Kilimanjaro?:D
    Forum Member
    Would you not expect to see London views through a window in London? Did you expect to see Snowdon, the Bristol Channel, or herds of Wildbeste racing across the plains of Kilimanjaro?:D

But GMTV and GMB ones aren't real windows they are screens. They could show backgrounds of London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast as well as other cities alsmost like a very slow slideshow
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should alter the weather map so the south ends up at the top of the screen and furthest away....and the prominent feature of the map then becomes The Orkneys!!

That's usually where the most interesting weather is anyway!
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member

What waffle! London is the capital of England thats it, remember Scotland, Wales & NI are their own constituent countries. We are bound by a union not a sharing of the English capital. Even government wouldn't dare say otherwise. Sometimes I do wonder if all the people in the south east actually want Scotland to go it alone? :confused: