http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/30/seagate_drive_capacity_increase_on_way/
Is very handy if you want to have lots of 1080P to 4K movies
I have a 3tb one and its only got 500 gb left. :o

Comments

• Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to buy two. You need somewhere to store your backups.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Three (two external). In case of dramatic power surge while backing up 1 to 2.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to buy two. You need somewhere to store your backups.

That is the problem, I also think that larger drives are more prone to errors.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6tb drives have been out a while now. a few of the regular uk pc component retailers have then on sale

as for the 8tb and bigger, it doesn't sound like the actually will be out "soon" unless "soon" means a long time from now
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was always going to happen that bigger storage would be created because of quite a few out there using their HDDs as a library for all their videos, music and photos. All the decent HD videos out there are about 8GBs+ now. For anyone wanting to create a library of their Blu-Ray collection by converting their Blu-Rays/DVDs to H.264, gigantic storage is needed. I think it's the people that do this that will buy these gigantic drives.
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prices for the "smaller" capacity 2TB drives still haven't quite reached pre-flood levels yet, so these drives are going to be prohibitively expensive.

Storing HD content consumes massive amounts of storage. My current 8TB (usable) home server is around 85% full right now, and it's mostly SD stuff. Replacing all the content with even 720p and i'd be looking at probably 25TB (around 100TB for 1080p).

I have been planning a new home server with 9 storage disks and was thinking of going with 4TB drives, but it would cost a grand for the disks alone! So i'm probably going to reuse the 2TB drives from my current server plus a few more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it'll be a while before these reach affordable prices. I wouldn't be surprised if they're put on sale for over £200.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think 2TB is large enough for me at the moment, i will get another 2TB drive at some point.
    Maybe next year if I update the machine, looking at updating next year,
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    Prices for the "smaller" capacity 2TB drives still haven't quite reached pre-flood levels yet, so these drives are going to be prohibitively expensive.

Storing HD content consumes massive amounts of storage. My current 8TB (usable) home server is around 85% full right now, and it's mostly SD stuff. Replacing all the content with even 720p and i'd be looking at probably 25TB (around 100TB for 1080p).

I have been planning a new home server with 9 storage disks and was thinking of going with 4TB drives, but it would cost a grand for the disks alone! So i'm probably going to reuse the 2TB drives from my current server plus a few more.

They pretty much have if you take into account general inflation. 3TB drives are now under £80, I'm using 3 in a PC plus external 2&3TB back up drives drives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    They pretty much have if you take into account general inflation. 3TB drives are now under £80, I'm using 3 in a PC plus external 2&3TB back up drives drives.

Neo always got something bigger and better and want people to know about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Rubbish, people have been saying what they have, so have I and I dare say there are people here with a lot more storage than I currently have. I will be having a rethink on my home network though over the next few months :)
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Someones jealous :p
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I've bought External Hard Drives in the past they've always cost ~£80 so as time went on I went from 240G -> 500G -> 750G -> 1TB -> 1.5TB and finally 2TB (6x WD Elements). So I think it'd be way way into the future before I'm even looking at a 6TB drive. :( Though the WD 3TB drive is coming close :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    When I've bought External Hard Drives in the past they've always cost ~£80 so as time went on I went from 240G -> 500G -> 750G -> 1TB -> 1.5TB and finally 2TB (6x WD Elements). So I think it'd be way way into the future before I'm even looking at a 6TB drive. :( Though the WD 3TB drive is coming close :)

Up to you, but I think the Western Digital HDDs are too expensive just to use as storage.

Edit: Okay, I've just seen the 'elements' bit in brackets.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Edit: Okay, I've just seen the 'elements' bit in brackets.
    :D

I used to be a Seagater, with all my < 1.5TBs being Seagate, then iirc they had a problem with some of the 1TBz (this is years ago mind you). The WD Elements 2TB drives (I buy for storage NOT for daily use with the 2nd backing up the 1st) have never let me down or even giving me one of those "omg what just happen why isn't it recognizing the drive, oh crap I've lost EVERYTHING.... I'll turn it all off, wait 5mins and try again.... oh phew things are back to normal, pheewwww" moments so I'm sticking with the brand and the type - they're the layie down ones not the standie upers. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish, people have been saying what they have, so have I and I dare say there are people here with a lot more storage than I currently have. I will be having a rethink on my home network though over the next few months :)

You dreaming again, i don't believe you got a home network,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Someones jealous :p

No way, I never get jealous, no point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »

It took me a long time to go for a 2TB drive, i would rather have got two 1TB drives. I have now got a 2TB in my desktop and i expect I will get a external one at some point, I got all the internal drive space i require.

i will wait and see how reliable these larger drives are first, so give them a good couple of years in the market
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dreaming again, i don't believe you got a home network,

But I do have one my little poppet, as does my daughter who uses one of my old i5 base units as the source in her house although she only has 2x2TB internal for video storage just now but fear not, daddy will sort her out as I upgrade :)

You were on about upgrading your 2nd internal drive and was going for around 500Gb, I said get a bigger drive, you said you had no need for anything bigger but might get a 1TB drive, I said go for at least a 2TB drive and you said you had no need...then went and got one lol.

When you signing up for Talk Talk FTTC....:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I do have one my little poppet, as does my daughter who uses one of my old i5 base units as the source in her house although she only has 2x2TB internal for video storage just now but fear not, daddy will sort her out as I upgrade :)

I am not so little and also it not so nice when someone says they don't believe you is it? i do not store loads of video to watch, no point, well not for me anyway.

You were on about upgrading your 2nd internal drive and was going for around 500Gb, I said get a bigger drive, you said you had no need for anything bigger but might get a 1TB drive, I said go for at least a 2TB drive and you said you had no need...then went and got one lol.

Because the price difference was minimal, I still don't really need a 2TB internal drive. It is only used as temporary storage. My 2TB drive is not even half full yet it is only used to store projects as they are being worked on.

I may have to get rid of the 250GB drive that is in the machine at some point, not because it is not large enough, but because it is getting old now

When you signing up for Talk Talk FTTC....:D

I can not see that happening to be honest, If I went for FTTC it would not be with Talk Talk and their Chinese spy servers.