A question about P.M.T, sorry!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moondrops1 wrote: »
    Hi

Not trying to minimise your suffering. But what do you suffer from exactly, and for how long each month?

Is it just sore breasts and fatigue? (Bad enough I know) but do you get the terrible mood swings and depression and the feeling that you're completely out of synch for 2 weeks out of every month? That you feel like you're going completely bloody mad? That for only perhaps a week you actually feel 'normal' and yourself?

That's PMDD.

The rest is PMT. A massive difference. MASSIVE.

After reading a few of these posts I can definitely say I have more than normal PMT which I have felt for a very very long time, but being the woman I am, I have just battled along, and yes I only feel 'normal' for about a week and a half , 2 weeks if I am lucky

I don't consider myself as suffering from depression, but then like I say, I have a very very good husband who is very supportive, but I know if I were suffering like this on my own and trying to cope with day to day, it would be a different story.

I now realise that perhaps there is more to this and will be booking in to see the doctor and taking hubby, so he can back me up that it just isn't PMT .... if I have a good month then I usually end up with Stomach Cramps so there is no escape!!
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally have a rotten time just before my period, suffering the classic symptoms of pms - uncomfortable body heat, headaches, feeling sick, bloating, and also horrible mood swings, feeling angry or upset for no reason, etc. This was until I started going to the gym a few months ago, three times a week. It eased pretty much every single one of my symptoms, both the physical and the emotional, and made my periods lighter also. I neglected to the gym this month, and the symptoms just came back for this cycle.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was recommended natural progesterone cream and it worked absolute wonders. I only used a tiny bit and all those exact symptoms disappeared after just using it for a week. That was 4 months ago and my periods have been so easy! I have not needed it since.

I didn't like the idea of messing with hormones either so I did a lot of research beforehand. I would recommend the natural stuff as opposed to the synthetic as from what I have read the body can handle it better and it is safer. You don't need a prescription either, you can get it online. The original is called Pro-gest by Emerita and it has been available for about 30 years.

Good luck

Thanks for the info' wishfulthinking....I will be hunting for it later, the same as josie I am willing to try anything to feel like my old self for more than 1 week a month.

So Thanks again. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get shockingly bad PMT! But then I have severe depression anyway so I never know which is the real cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get shockingly bad PMT! But then I have severe depression anyway so I never know which is the real cause.

They could be linked...progesterone affects how much estrogen you make and estrogen affects how much serotonin you release.

Low progesterone ie bad PMT...low estrogen...low serotinin....depression.... maybe?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I normally have a rotten time just before my period, suffering the classic symptoms of pms - uncomfortable body heat, headaches, feeling sick, bloating, and also horrible mood swings, feeling angry or upset for no reason, etc. This was until I started going to the gym a few months ago, three times a week. It eased pretty much every single one of my symptoms, both the physical and the emotional, and made my periods lighter also. I neglected to the gym this month, and the symptoms just came back for this cycle.

Hi,

I have used the gym, went twice a week (all i could afford at the time), but sadly hubby had hours cut so it was a luxury and had to stop :(.

However i do take lots of exercise, i jog 15 minutes a day for 3 days a week on my treadnill, the other days i do aerobics at home or my stepper and slight weight lifting (not body building he he), This does work to calm my mood if is particularly bad, but none of the other symptoms, still, i am fitter:), The only problem i have is that a few times i have fell off the treadmill as my co-rodiantion is so bad during PMT, but i stick with it :)

I will definitely be looking into the progesterone cream, i to do not wish to put chemicals in my body, i take enough meds as it is, just thought the mini pill may be less invasive, but i didnt know about this cream until now so thanks for that :).

You know, we should start a PMT thread where we can all come on and say how we are feeling and moan and discuss what is helping us, but no doubt some fella will pop in sayig we are making it all up! :)
  • Options
    cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it's your body being peri-menopausal....don't worry it doesn't mean your on the 'change' it just means your bodies getting ready for it in 15 years time!!! :rolleyes:

Mine started going all haywire in my early 30's and has steadily become more troublesome over the years...all the stuff you mentioned plus a 21 day cycle now and bloomin night sweats if you did.......and I ain't that old....just well prepared it would seem! :eek:

If it gets too inconvenient go and see the doc......mine was most unhelpful but you may do better! :)

*Edit* Found a link for all those ladies suffering at the mo. :(

http://www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/guide-perimenopause

I'm so glad I have seen this thread.

I have been to the docs lately complaining about several symptoms, but blood tests for thyroid and diabetes have come back as normal.

I used to get 'normal' pmt, now I get 'supercharged' pmt.

My cycle has reduced from 28 days, to much less. I am now on my 5th period of 2008, and they are sooo heavy.

My mood swings are horrendous, I just want people to leave me alone when I feel like that, but then I get so upset over the tiniest thing.

I have been having horrible rows with OH, and it is really affecting us. I don't know if I can handle it much more.

Sorry to go on, but I'm sure after reading this thread that you can understand. It feels better just getting it off my chest, and knowing that there may be solutions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, without sounding corny, it really is quite awful that we suffer this to such an extent it really lessens quality of life, we should keep this thread going and pop on and say how we feel, what helps, or even have a moan if we want to, i know it has made me feel better (althought a bit sad too) knowing there are others in the same boat :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here Christine, it is hard to differentiate,but the more i look into it, i think the hormones really affect the depression (like in my psychosis), so it would definitley be worth you trying a different angle :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your interested josie this link explains how the hormones all interact....ignore the HRT bits if you want to (I did) but the basic info' was really interesting. :)

http://www.aeron.com/new_page_14.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cathh70 wrote: »
    I'm so glad I have seen this thread.

I have been to the docs lately complaining about several symptoms, but blood tests for thyroid and diabetes have come back as normal.

I used to get 'normal' pmt, now I get 'supercharged' pmt.

My cycle has reduced from 28 days, to much less. I am now on my 5th period of 2008, and they are sooo heavy.

My mood swings are horrendous, I just want people to leave me alone when I feel like that, but then I get so upset over the tiniest thing.

I have been having horrible rows with OH, and it is really affecting us. I don't know if I can handle it much more.

Sorry to go on, but I'm sure after reading this thread that you can understand. It feels better just getting it off my chest, and knowing that there may be solutions.

I put another link in cathh...it's very informative about how everything is linked together.....as you say if you know what maybe going on you can look for solutions. :)
  • Options
    cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put another link in cathh...it's very informative about how everything is linked together.....as you say if you know what maybe going on you can look for solutions. :)

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I am feeling so relieved having read through this thread. I am 25 and over the last year or so my periods have become a nightmare. My personality completely changes about 10 days before I am due on and for that 10 days I am a wreck, constantly angry and/or on the verge of tears and I know during this time I can be horrible to my family and OH and it upsets me but I can't help it! I knew it was PMT related but anyone else I mentioned it to didn't believe it could be so bad and affect you for so long. I feel so much better (sorry ladies) knowing I am not actually going insane.

I think clearly I will have to learn to live with it and try and manage it and from reading this thread I see its likely to get worse as I get older. I don't suffer as badly as a lot of you do though and you have my deepest sympathies!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am feeling so relieved having read through this thread. I am 25 and over the last year or so my periods have become a nightmare. My personality completely changes about 10 days before I am due on and for that 10 days I am a wreck, constantly angry and/or on the verge of tears and I know during this time I can be horrible to my family and OH and it upsets me but I can't help it! I knew it was PMT related but anyone else I mentioned it to didn't believe it could be so bad and affect you for so long. I feel so much better (sorry ladies) knowing I am not actually going insane.

I think clearly I will have to learn to live with it and try and manage it and from reading this thread I see its likely to get worse as I get older. I don't suffer as badly as a lot of you do though and you have my deepest sympathies!
    Mine definitely has. I used to get endometriosis symptoms and then pain during my period but the PMT has only really kicked in badly since I got over 30. The first time I got sore boobs I was like wtf? And I remember the first time my back hurt so much I could hardly walk - and I don't ever get back pain. I didn't link it to my period until it started. The emotional side is also worse as I've got older but I don't have any other mental health issues and I am very, very careful to make sure I don't act on any PMT related emotions. I pulled down a pair of curtains when I was 13 and resolved never to get so out of control again. :o I've already had 4 periods this year and I usually have about 14 a year.

Over xmas I had the 'norovirus' and my period at the same time. That was an interesting 24 hours. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    skyl1ght wrote: »
    Mine definitely has. I used to get endometriosis symptoms and then pain during my period but the PMT has only really kicked in badly since I got over 30. The first time I got sore boobs I was like wtf? And I remember the first time my back hurt so much I could hardly walk - and I don't ever get back pain. I didn't link it to my period until it started. The emotional side is also worse as I've got older but I don't have any other mental health issues and I am very, very careful to make sure I don't act on any PMT related emotions. I pulled down a pair of curtains when I was 13 and resolved never to get so out of control again. :o I've already had 4 periods this year and I usually have about 14 a year.

Over xmas I had the 'norovirus' and my period at the same time. That was an interesting 24 hours. :eek:

I thought I was pregnant again!! :o

I wasn't though and felt very silly doing umpteen tests for the week before my period arrived. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely agree it's nice to know we are not alone.

I have said to the OH that when/if I go to the doctor I want him to go with me, so he can say exactly how I am and what effect it has on him and me.

Like many here I have learnt to control it to a degree, but it takes up the energy I have left to do that!

Talking about it today though, I feel a fraud as I am perfectly fine and dandy ... at least for a week anyhow:rolleyes:

I too was one for doing awful thing when I was in full flow, I remember when first married I threw the meat tin at my hubby!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps luckily for me my sister's always been the same so I've never felt as though my experience wasn't valid. And, much as I dislike them and keep away, no doctor has ever not understood what I was talking about on the rare occasions when I have sought their advice. I am pretty much a textbook case though so I suppose it's easy for them to recognise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps luckily for me my sister's always been the same so I've never felt as though my experience wasn't valid. And, much as I dislike them and keep away, no doctor has ever not understood what I was talking about on the rare occasions when I have sought their advice. I am pretty much a textbook case though so I suppose it's easy for them to recognise.
    Don't mean to pry, but what do the doctors class as a textbook case? You must have a really good GP for them to recognise your symptoms. That would be a dream come true!. Thankfully there must be a god out there, somewhere.. (I wish:cry:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the back pain also extend down your legs? Sometimes it's so bad that it hurts to walk. I also get night sweats and sometimes feel 'fluey'

When I was on Dianette it regulated my cycle to 28 days. Now I'm back on 35 days again. I suppose my periods are much heavier now because they have more time to 'build up'!

I sometimes get upset easily when I have PMS, but it's never too bad. The physical symptoms are what affect me the most.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cute chick wrote: »
    Does the back pain also extend down your legs? Sometimes it's so bad that it hurts to walk. I also get night sweats and sometimes feel 'fluey'

When I was on Dianette it regulated my cycle to 28 days. Now I'm back on 35 days again. I suppose my periods are much heavier now because they have more time to 'build up'!

I sometimes get upset easily when I have PMS, but it's never too bad. The physical symptoms are what affect me the most.
    Night sweats, not being able to stand upright(dragging back, nearly chucking up on a morning, relationship knackered, thinking it's flu every time is not a happy way to be. Coincided with the feeling out of control is really why I want to stop it and ask for HRT. I really have had enough. Got appointment at docs on Monday.. He will give me patches, otherwise I will kill him:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't mean to pry, but what do the doctors class as a textbook case? You must have a really good GP for them to recognise your symptoms. That would be a dream come true!. Thankfully there must be a god out there, somewhere.. (I wish:cry:)
    Well I'm not a doctor so I don't know what's in their textbooks but in my case I had problems right from my very first period. I'd learnt about periods in school but when it started it was nothing like the school books! Luckily I had a very clued up mum who'd also had problems with periods who realised what it was when I told her after a couple of hours (I'd been due to stay with my grandmother and didn't want to because I thought I was ill and didn't know why until my mum worked it out). And I fainted the first time I had a period - not normal for a 13 year old. I had pain and mood swings from 13 as well. At 14 and 15 I raised the issue with the doc but I knew I didn't want to go on the pill (I'm overweight and there's a lot of cancer in my family) and I chose to take over the counter medication rather than prescribed stuff (my sister's friend takes prescribed medication though - in fact it's very common amongst our friends to be on something for periods which is how I know it's not that unusual to have problems). I then got diagnosed with endometriosis at 21 but it was clear which were the PMT symptoms and which were the endometriosis symptoms.

I think the point is there are a number of symptoms you can have - most, if not all of which have been referred to in this thread. You can have some or all of them for it to be PMT. It's just a case of being able to very clearly describe what you have to the doctor as the only way they can diagnose (for PMT) is based on what you tell them. In my case, in the absence of any other explanation for the physical and emotional symptoms I experience, it can only be PMT. The fact that I had such severe problems right from the first period made it easier to identify. I think if there are any other chemical/emotional difficulties then it becomes harder to separate out what is being cause by hormones connected to periods and what is something else. (At one stage I was assessed for cyclothymia as it was necessary to rule it out but the fact that my patterns of emotion are connected to my menstrual cycle was a bit of a give away - that and the fact that I can control my behaviour in public even if I feel really terrible in private and I've never experienced 'manic' episodes and a few other things - my mother had died and the docs were being cautious!)

Sorry I know you were looking for a list of what equals textbook but it's not that simple. The doctor just used the phrase "text book case" to refer to me because it was such an obvious match with no other possible explanation.

What you've described in the post about fits me pretty well though if that's any help. The nausea has got worse as I've got older along with other things. And I have migraines in the week before most months as well (migraleve really helps with the nausea I find. I've started taking them at night and I'm reasonably okay in the morning). One really bad thing about the nausea is that eating actually makes if feel better - not great given I'm already overweight. The night sweats have got better recently but I don't know how long that will last.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Hi ladies :)

I just found this topic and wanted to join in!

I'm 25 and get problems with PMT, about 10-14 days before thr period is due, its really frustrating :mad::o

Since I was in my late teens, I've been having problems with PMT; with headaches, tiredness (but not being able to sleep properly!), feeling faint, feeling down, aching, nausea. I kept going to my doctor about it - especially the headaches, because they were really painful, but I kept being told to try oil of evening primrose.

Anyways, I kept persisting with the doctor, because nothing seemed to work, and I was also experiencing some other general symptoms. After many years, I've recently found out that I've got a problem with my pituitary gland, which is affecting my hormones! I've seen a couple of specialists and they think this might be the reasin why I'm getting bad PMT symptoms. They've put me on some medication to try and get my pituitary gland functioning 'normally' again, and I can see its helping in some ways, I no longer get terrible blinding headaches, but in terms of PMT... :eek: I've been taking the medication for about three months, and in th last two months my periods have got a lot heavier, and last month I was really unwell :(

Hormones are just crazy!
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi!

I get terrible PMT every month - and I'm 19! I know it's not my body still messing around since I started my periods at 11, but lately my PMT has been worse than normal. Sore boobs, constipation or diahorrea (sometimes I've had diahorrea just before I've come on - or constipation during) - being unable to move from my bed cos of the pain, arguing irrationally, uncontrollable crying, incredibly oily/greasy hair and skin (as in washing and becoming really greasy in the same day), sleeping longer, feeling the heat significantly more, feeling sick but not actually puking...and I don't know why or what to do!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps we ought to go to the doctors on mass!! Frighten them into listening.

I would say to you not to worry about your bowel movements leading up and during your period - my step-Mum warned of that problem very early on and it's one the the symtoms I don't bother about.

But I would say if the other symtoms are persistent then maybe try the doctor (I know I'm one to talk) but at 19 that is one hell of a journey you face ahead of you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jen B

Try here for some natural remedy info'

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=289953EC31774581A350521638E25DDF&nm=Healing+Centers&type=AWHN_HealingCenters&mod=Home&tier=2&id=EBDA5A522FE942C2A2E34A56B95938E4

The 'Natural Supplements' link in the piece has even got info' on how much supplement to use............and the Doc's is always a good place to start don't be afraid to ask for a woman Doc' if that makes you feel more comfortable.