Kudos to the German audience for booing...

2»

Comments

• DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    I think it would be fair to use a system with weighted points according to population figures, so that Russia, Germany, and the UK could distribute more points than Malta, San Marino, or Estonia.

You might as well just let the Russians decide the winner.
  • MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    I think the time has come to grant independance to Scotland, Wales, Isle of Wight, Channel Islands etc, then we can play the easten countries at their own game come the ESC. ;):p
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might as well just let the Russians decide the winner.
    That's not what I meant. For example, it could work like this:

< 6m citizens: 1 .... 12 points (about 20 countries)
    > 6m to 25 m: 2 .... 24 points (about 15 countries)
    > 25m citizens: 3 .... 36 points (9 countries: RUS, GER, TUR, FRA, GBR, ITA, ESP, UKR, POL)

In exchange, scrap the "Big 5" rule and let everyone start in the semis.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Everybody is doing it, they vote for those they know, well, except Ireland :D

From memory Ireland always gives the UK a good mark.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mirage wrote: »
    I think the time has come to grant independance to Scotland, Wales, Isle of Wight, Channel Islands etc, then we can play the easten countries at their own game come the ESC. ;):p

Or let the Soviet Union take back control. Those new countries have shown they do not have integrity when it comes to voting and that they don't care about fairness and having a fair competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mirage wrote: »

Who says we'd vote for you? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

> 25m citizens: 3 .... 36 points (9 countries: RUS, GER, TUR, FRA, GBR, ITA, ESP, UKR, POL)

OK, that's not so bad. But I still prefer the current system.
  • Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't they have a problem with the Nordic block voting...always the worst of them all?
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate the booing. ;)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Did the UK get boo'd when they gave 12pts to Ireland? Exactly. Nowt wrong with cultural voting, you're going to vote for what you know/musical styles you are comfortable with

They why on earth did we give Ireland 12 points?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poland and Lithuania also do it. The Polish announcer milked it a bit with a long pause but Graham presumably hadn't been given the notes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Did the UK get boo'd when they gave 12pts to Ireland? Exactly. Nowt wrong with cultural voting, you're going to vote for what you know/musical styles you are comfortable with

The audience didn't boo because they all loved Jedward, out of all the performances they were the ones who got the best reception.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member

That voting system seems a LOT more fairer and would atleast create a heightened sense of competition.

I'd scrap the bit about ditching the 'Big 5' rule though; the big 5 deserve to be the big 5 due to the amount of money they have injected into the competition; also England might qualify a helluva lot less!
  • OG48OG48 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still don't understand how the telephone votes were in all this.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    They why on earth did we give Ireland 12 points?

We didn't give Ireland 12 points, we gave Jedward 12 points, they made their name in Britain and many of their fans are here. If they had represented some other country they would probably have got 12 points from Britain too.
  • MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    We didn't give Ireland 12 points, we gave Jedward 12 points, they made their name in Britain and many of their fans are here. If they had represented some other country they would probably have got 12 points from Britain too.

Exactly, and this is a large part of the reality of the so called 'block voting'...

The former Yugoslav countries vote for each other as their songs will have had lots of media coverage in each others countries.

Blue apparently went on a charm offensive across Europe to promote their song, however being something of an avid online gamer who knows a lot of 'europeans' I asked my online friends if they were aware of Eurovision... yes they were, most were enthusiastic about it too. So I asked what they thought of the UK entry and/or Blue... nobody had heard anything about them, only a couple of them had heard the song on the Eurovision YouTube channel.

In the end, our media is very insular, whereas in a lot of other european countries it's much more common for the media outlets to cross national boundaries and for people to actually care about what happens 'on the other side of the border'.

That's the problem, the only way to duplicate this in favour of the UK would be for the union to fall apart so that we have separate Scots, Welsh and English votes...