Options

Opinions of Mrs. Brown's Boys?

Comments

• Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    :eek: I don't like Mrs Brown's Boys but this comment is bloody stupid.

Why on earth is it?
    The point that the amount of people who like something isn't a measure of quality?
    What's stupid about that?
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's better than most of the nonsense that the BBC puts out these days. I find it to be incredibly witty.

It's like Gavin and Stacey, people worshipped that show, but I couldn't stand it. I thought it was awful.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I watched about ten minutes of one episode and that was more than enough for me.

If you're the kind of person who likes knob jokes and fall about laughing at the very mention of sex then you'll love it.

Personally, I really can't believe how awful it is.

I don't think I lasted ten minutes, the short bits I have seen since then, whilst changing channels, have not not encouraged me to try it again.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched about ten minutes of one episode and that was more than enough for me.

If you're the kind of person who likes knob jokes and fall about laughing at the very mention of sex then you'll love it.

I agree with you, it's simply dreadful and I can't bear it. Back in a previous century when we only had a couple of channels to choose from we watched anything and even found the adverts enjoyable! Those were the days :)
  • Options
    ceeferceefer Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I avoided watching it for ages because it didn't seem like my kind of thing, then I saw the episode that had the violinists in and quite enjoyed it, I think it takes a bit to get past the stageiness of it, if you treat it like a little play with scene 1, scene 2 etc it can be enjoyable. It is not my favourite (I like The thick of it, Green Wing, Rev, Peep Show, Hunderby etc) but it is nowhere near as outdated and dire as people like to make out - it looks very old fashioned yes, but that is the point!
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    No offense to you but the catchphrase "that's nice!:D" just about sums up the joke quality and depth here. That and how people adore how offensive and crude it is, like it's something to be admired and people who don't like it are just snobs.
    I think it's dumb mindless panto with untalented cast and writing.
    'cos they're not are they?
    446.09375 wrote: »
    Seems like Dumbed-Down comedy for elderly viewers who seldom stray from ITV1

People have different opinions - it doesn't mean they're dumb or unsophisticated, get over it.

Kudos to the poster who brought up Godwin's law...
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    446.09375 wrote: »
    Seems like Dumbed-Down comedy for elderly viewers who seldom stray from ITV1

Actually it appeals to all age groups. And I'm not clear where ITV comes into it - they obviously managed to leave ITV long enough to find it on the BBC.
    ........The question was asking people's opinions about the actual show itself and whether they found it funny or not.
    Not asking how many people watch it as the criteria for how funny it is or isn't.

I think the number of viewers would be a fair indication of how many people found it funny. What were the audience figures for (in my opinion) rubbish like little britain and life's too short?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it incredibly funny and would suggest you give it a try, as the replies show you might like it and you might not. Good luck!
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loracan wrote: »
    'cos they're not are they?

People have different opinions - it doesn't mean they're dumb or unsophisticated, get over it.

Kudos to the poster who brought up Godwin's law...

That's not godwins law, I was pointing out the how logical fallacy of argument from numbers doesn't make something good or right. ;)
  • Options
    Yvo-50Yvo-50 Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offense to you but the catchphrase "that's nice!:D" just about sums up the joke quality and depth here. That and how people adore how offensive and crude it is, like it's something to be admired and people who don't like it are just snobs.

some of us just like to stick two fingers up at the mad PC world we have nowadays
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yvo-50 wrote: »
    some of us just like to stick two fingers up at the mad PC world we have nowadays

ah the last bastion of the oppressed bigot. Fight the power, man.

I've no truck with PC madness either, but I manage to get through my day without lazy offensive and dated stereotypes, just like I am for free speech but don't have the urge to use racial slurs at people.

People who hark for the days when you could have sitcoms with the theme of having black neighbours and like the gay character to be the "butt" (ha! ha!) of every joke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was forced to sit through an episode. My mates laughing away and asking why I wasn't laughing.

Because it's ****ing terrible! I polietly replied to them

I wholeheartedly agree. Bafflingly popular programme.
  • Options
    royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does something no sitcom has managed to do for a while. Perfect characters.

Keeping up appearences managed to perfect its characters, and it was repetitive, and classic television. Mrs Brown has simply done the same.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its fantastic but because I like it , its no guarantee you will,Op its quite clear you either love it or hate it

Check out online offerings and simply make up your own mind up

It seems there a few on here who think they need to keep repeating how much they dislike it and are going to sway others opinion
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadiecat wrote: »
    I quite like it as others have said it's marmite tv

The dvds have basically the same scripts redrafted by the author for his TV shows, and it's tighter pacing and direction that make the difference on the TV. The much older dvd sets are too slackly directed and the stage is usually not too busy. I couldn't watch those after seeing the TV shows. The second series wasn't as consistently funny as the first, so God knows what the new ones starting with a two episode xmas special double, at Christmas,[followed by six new episodes] are going to be like.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedy is a very subjective thing. personally I found Mrs Browns boys consistently funny

It does not try to be quirky or to make an statements, its is just a comedy that had the tears running down my face and my sides did really ache with laughing too much, a real old fashioned laugh out loud comedy

Yes at times you can see the jokes coming but the talking to camera stuff is hilarious

Probably the funniest comedy of this millenium. In my opinion of course
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really have time to try and explain how bad this show is or why it's so bad, but several posts here have said it better than I could.
    I haven't seen it either. Is it basically 'When the whistle blows' from Extras?

Yeah, actually, that's the sort of level it's at. Obvious, crude and completely unfunny. I always thought it shows how brilliant Gervais and Merchant are when their spoof 'tacky' comedy they made up (When The Whistle Blows) to go within another comedy show, is better than a lot of actual comedy shows which are being broadcast.

Again, this just about sums it up. Sex jokes and 'knob jokes' as you put it, can be funny, but that's the point, they have to be funny. Simply mentioning the words and expecting to get a laugh is what makes this so horribly outdated.
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    It's bad. Really bad.

Really REALLY bad.
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I find it dated and predictable.

A man dressed as a woman, that's the joke. That was funny in the 1970s perhaps, but why that would be funny in 2012 is beyond me.

Panto sums it up nicely.

It really is just a man, dressed as an old woman, saying filthy things. It's all been done before and most of it about 50 years ago. If you take a good sitcom, some of my favourites being The Office, Extras, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Peep Show or Gavin and Stacey, they are so cleverly written that most of us couldn't begin to write even 5 minutes worth of script for them. If you take Mrs Brown's Boys, if you gave me 24 hours, I could easily write a whole episode of this show and I have no training or expertise in comedy writing whatsoever. It really is that obvious and that bad.
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our family loves it (me, hubby, teenage son), it's not for you if you get offended by language and rude stuff but I think it's hilarious
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen it either. Is it basically 'When the whistle blows' from Extras?

Excellent comparison :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    Someone told me it was like Father Ted so I tuned in with high hopes which plunged within minutes of watching it. I tried another episode some time later and still just could not find much to laught at.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    I don't really have time to try and explain how bad this show is or why it's so bad,............

And there's be absolutely no point in you trying to do so. Comedy is subjective, as has been pointed out many times in this thread, so I've no idea what point you're trying to make.

I think 'little britain' is absolutely appalling and totally unfunny, but it's just my opinion, and I wouldn't attempt to explain why I think that. I just do.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    And there's be absolutely no point in you trying to do so. Comedy is subjective, as has been pointed out many times in this thread, so I've no idea what point you're trying to make.

I think 'little britain' is absolutely appalling and totally unfunny, but it's just my opinion, and I wouldn't attempt to explain why I think that. I just do.

Comedy being subjective isn't really related to whether something is good or bad though. Comedy being subjective is whether a particular person likes or dislikes a show or finds a show funny. The 'good or bad' issue is about the quality of the show. These are two different things.

There are plenty of good things that I don't like and equally there are plenty of bad things that I do like.

So, for example, I don't like Pink Floyd, but that doesn't mean I think they are bad or poor quality, they're just not suited to my musical tastes. Equally, I do like Geordie Shore, however, I can see that it's awful television, in terms of quality. In the case of Mrs Brown's Boys, I don't like it AND it is awful.
  • Options
    446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Actually it appeals to all age groups. And I'm not clear where ITV comes into it - they obviously managed to leave ITV long enough to find it on the BBC.

I find that ITV1 requires less brainpower to watch than other channels - and I thought that was a fairly general opinion :D
  • Options
    jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's great. It's good harmless fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comedy being subjective isn't really related to whether something is good or bad though. Comedy being subjective is whether a particular person likes or dislikes a show or finds a show funny. The 'good or bad' issue is about the quality of the show. These are two different things.

There are plenty of good things that I don't like and equally there are plenty of bad things that I do like.

So, for example, I don't like Pink Floyd, but that doesn't mean I think they are bad or poor quality, they're just not suited to my musical tastes. Equally, I do like Geordie Shore, however, I can see that it's awful television, in terms of quality. In the case of Mrs Brown's Boys, I don't like it AND it is awful.

Absolutely, and a really well put post. It's not just a matter of taste, I an usually spot at least why someone likes something and admire it's artistic value even if it's not my thing.
    I initially thought the Ricky Gervais series Extras was weak until the "When the Whistle Blows" comparison and I realised how perfect that was.

I don't think it's impossible to do something like this well.
    I can appreciate the intention is to capture the spirit and energy of a live show, but it doesn't even do that. Watching people corpsing is no substitute for actual jokes.
    A man dressed as a woman, that's the joke. That was funny in the 1970s perhaps, but why that would be funny in 2012 is beyond me.

I walked in to my grandparents house and they were laughing pretty hard at this, and they explained the premise of the show to me as:

"That's a man dressed up, and that son's a poof"

I initially thought, 'oh grandpa, time to turn off the life support...:rolleyes:' but no, that's actually a pretty spot on description of the jokes therin.
    I think it's the gay character that offends me most of all. Simply there to be the victim of jokes.
    Maybe we do need to step back and allow things like this in the spirit of sticking two fingers up at PCness, but I just find it so mean spirited to laugh at people rather than with.
    If it is harmless fun as many claim, then why does it make me feel like it's just a series of cheap shots with no justification.