Options

What can I realistically expect to sell my iPhone 4 with a cracked screen for?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got an estimate from a Money for your mobile website of £127. There was no option to mention the damage to the phone, but they said that they would revise the offer should there be any damage which is fair enough, but when they received the phone they offered a total of £20 for it because of the cracked screen, even though it is fully working.

I declined the offer and asked them to return it as I'd prefer to just have it as a spare if only getting £20. It's worked out quite well because I just use it as a camera when I'm out, which means that I'm not using up the battery of my actual phone and as soon as I connect to wifi then the photos are uploaded to icloud and I can access them from my ipad, laptop etc.

Just wondering if its worth selling or just continue using it as it is?

Anyone sold one recentlyy in a similar condition? If so, where? And how much did you get for it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check eBay
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I got an estimate from a Money for your mobile website of £127. There was no option to mention the damage to the phone, but they said that they would revise the offer should there be any damage which is fair enough, but when they received the phone they offered a total of £20 for it because of the cracked screen, even though it is fully working.
    As you can buy a new screen for an iPhone 4 for ~£20 on eBay what thy have offered seems strange. You would, of course, have to either fit the new screen or find someone who could.

Alternatively damaged iPhones get reasonable prices - again on eBay - as they can be repaired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    As you can buy a new screen for an iPhone 4 for ~£20 on eBay what thy have offered seems strange. You would, of course, have to either fit the new screen or find someone who could.

Alternatively damaged iPhones get reasonable prices - again on eBay - as they can be repaired.

Yes at first I thought it was £20 off their original offer price and I accepted. It wasn't until the money went into my account that I realised they were only offering £20 in total. Iread their revised offer email again and it was very misleading. I wrote to them immediately and told them that their offer was obscene and thier email misleading and they replied saying that as the phone had not yet been recycled they would return the phone once I repaid the £20. I transferred that back immediately and I got my phone back a couple of days later.

I've had a quick look on ebay and even with a cracked screen they seem to be selling for over £100 so I might just pop it on there.

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mate of mine has just had his repaired at an independent shop. Not only was the screen cracked but the layer underneath was damaged and the phone was completely unusable.

They replaced both for £50.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Not sure why you are complaining they offered £20 for a broken screened phone - they don't want to repair it. They want to give it a clean and sell it on for a profit rather than messing around with fixing anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    A mate of mine has just had his repaired at an independent shop. Not only was the screen cracked but the layer underneath was damaged and the phone was completely unusable.

They replaced both for £50.

The phone only has a minor crack on the screen, but I understand that it still means that the front would need to be replaced, The phone itself is still fully useable and has been for the past year in its current state.

I've checked, and phones with smashed fronts and backs are selling for between £110 & £150 on ebay so I will sell it on there.

Thank you for your helpful reply :)