Started the Gym - Any Advice?

caz06caz06 Posts: 849
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey Guys

i'm 23 and weigh 19&half stone, i'm 6ft3 and i've finally decided to do something about my weight, the last two weeks i've changed my diet completely, sticking to healthy food such as fruit and veg, drinking plenty of water and having minimal fat content and at the moment i'm planning on 3 trips a week for 90 mins, but i'm just looking for some adivce on anyone whos been in a similar postion really,

Thanks Guys

Comments

• boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The gym, if any good, should give you some basic advice when you join.
    Most equipment will have instructions on, so don't worry about how to use them. Do some reading online if you're unsure.

Go easy and don't overdo it. You're likely to ache a little after the first few visits; don't let that put you off. I'd advise not setting a time goal at first. If you can't manage 90 minutes you may feel disappointed with yourself. I used to regularly beat myself up if I couldn't manage a certain distance run when I had managed it a few days previously. Just do what your body (and your mind) is telling you. A regular routine is a positive start though.
    I find listening to music a great distraction when doing cardio. Take a towel and water.
    Good luck!
  • arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    boozer3 wrote: »
    The gym, if any good, should give you some basic advice when you join.
    Most equipment will have instructions on, so don't worry about how to use them. Do some reading online if you're unsure.

Go easy and don't overdo it. You're likely to ache a little after the first few visits; don't let that put you off. I'd advise not setting a time goal at first. If you can't manage 90 minutes you may feel disappointed with yourself. I used to regularly beat myself up if I couldn't manage a certain distance run when I had managed it a few days previously. Just do what your body (and your mind) is telling you. A regular routine is a positive start though.
    I find listening to music a great distraction when doing cardio. Take a towel and water.
    Good luck!

Simples, just sweat your socks off and try and get your money worth. Never dwell on the fact that a bit of free jogging would be equally as beneficial and when you've lost interest in three months time and give up, you won't get chased by aggressive debt collectors.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Well done for deciding to do something, but you are going about it the wrong way. Its very unlikely you are going to stick to such a drastic lifestyle change. Sure it might work for a bit and you will loose some weight, but ultimately you will slip back into your old ways and put it back on.

The only way to do it is make gradual changes to your lifestyle that you can actually keep up and end up just being the way you live.

Do you actually enjoy the gym? This is key because if you don't you won't keep it up and you should try and find another type of exercise you actually like doing.
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Low carbs + High Protien + Heavy Weights.

Jobs a good'un.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    pumping iron should be able to help you!

Diet is really important
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Don't drop your soap in the shower.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Well done for deciding to do something, but you are going about it the wrong way. Its very unlikely you are going to stick to such a drastic lifestyle change. Sure it might work for a bit and you will loose some weight, but ultimately you will slip back into your old ways and put it back on.

The only way to do it is make gradual changes to your lifestyle that you can actually keep up and end up just being the way you live.

Some people handle a sudden change better than a gradual one, it depends on the individual.
    Do you actually enjoy the gym? This is key because if you don't you won't keep it up and you should try and find another type of exercise you actually like doing.

I agree, it is vital to enjoy or at least not hate the exercise you are doing.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    axlgod wrote: »
    Low carbs + High Protien + Heavy Weights.

Jobs a good'un.

It's a good one if you believe the pseudo science from the low carb brigade. How heavy the weights should be depends what he's trying to achieve, he probably doesn't want to be a body builder.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    1st law of thermodynamics always applies
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FInd a good time for you to go to the gym,

Remember most gyms are crowded at lunch and after work.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest asking someone at the gym - they usually have someone qualified to check your system and to work out what your body is capable of doing without causing you harm.

The danger of DS forum is that we cannot physically assess you, so any advice MIGHT be dangerous.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just make you sure do it properly whatever you do.

if you go their with mentality of a slow walk on treadmill and then a leisurly bike machine ride before sauna and shower i doubt you will lose much weight.

go hard for the time your in gym and you will benefit.

if doing cardio maybe start with a 20 min run on a very slow speed, then next time up the speed by 0.1, do this every run and the gradual increases shouldnt shock you too much.

if your doing weights, google beginner workouts like strong lifts 5x5 or ice cream fitness 5 x5, proven results for newbies and you will be lifting heavy quite quickly,should tone you up a bit.

but yeh just do it properly, i see people at gym talking to friends whilst walking or jogging which means there not working their heart rate anywhere near enough, or you get people doing 2kg weights with terrible floppy form and expecting muscles.

let us know how you get on.
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I suggest asking someone at the gym - they usually have someone qualified to check your system and to work out what your body is capable of doing without causing you harm.

Definitely this.

Any gym worth their salt will have instructors in the gym who can demonstrate the equipment and write you a programme to get you going.

Ask the instructor to include all the different types of cardio equipment, running machine, bike, cross trainer and rower as you will prefer some to others and you will get a feel for what works for you.

3 x 90 mins sessions per week is definitely a realistic target. Good luck.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just ease yourself in. I wouldn't overdo the diet - just embark on sensible eating and reduce portions a bit as completely cutting loads of faves/tastey things out is not sustainable in long term. Don't weigh yourself obsessively either - once a month will be plenty. It's far better and more encouraging to see results in mirror and/or notice your clothes getting too big. Best of all will be just feeling lighter and more energetic..... don't be a slave to the scales!!
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Just ease yourself in. I wouldn't overdo the diet - just embark on sensible eating and reduce portions a bit as completely cutting loads of faves/tastey things out is not sustainable in long term. Don't weigh yourself obsessively either - once a month will be plenty. It's far better and more encouraging to see results in mirror and/or notice your clothes getting too big. Best of all will be just feeling lighter and more energetic... don't be a slave to the scales!!

Wouldn't count on it. I've got thinner and thinner whilst in the gym, but my bones have become denser. Dense bones maketh me energetic not
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    90 minutes might be too long. I joined my gym and started on 30 minute sessions 3 times a week, 45 if I did weights. This got me into a routine and where I could tell myself it's half an hour, that's all. Easy to commit to and find time. When I started I went from 16 St to about 13.5stone in 4 or 5 months. Once I saw the weight loss, my motivation came and I started on the harder things-like classes and running.

Get the gym to put together a regime for weight loss and ask them to change it every 4-6 weeks, when it gets too easy or boring. Good luck.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    ...Get the gym to put together a regime for weight loss and ask them to change it every 4-6 weeks, when it gets too easy or boring. Good luck.
    Good advice. Vary the exercise to work on different parts of the body. Swimming lengths as well in the pool is great for overall toning of the body and burning calories.
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pumping iron should be able to help you!

Diet is really important

Mr Iron pumps something..not sure it's ever good advice.

2 years and 14,000 posts.

Yet he maintains a job he loves, has a perfect partner, is supposedly so supremely fit, that when you factor the gym hours into the work hours, with maintaining a relationship..oh and sleeping/eating/washing/shaving etc...

hmmmmm...that post count and his 'always superior' persona matched with post count in just 2 years...??

Methinx listen to those who've already contributed. The 'guy' is as genuine as a 4 pence piece - and prone to the occasional lapse in facade.
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pace yourself, the body will already be working overtime making adjustments to compliment the dietry changes

You are going to be very, very sore and tired the first week, as your muscles wake up

Have to remember this is a lifestyle change for the longterm, you want to make sure when you are where you (because ultimatly you are making these changes for yourself) feel comfortable that you stay there and don't relapse/put it back on.
    (which can happen with rapid weight loss)

Wish you the best of luck!