Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    robjames69 wrote: »
    nice that EE figures have remained steady, but i did hope for a few 8 mills before the live week! :/

But still pretty close to CS whose big story does not seem to have lasted long ratings wise.
  • Options
    Ben_PainterBen_Painter Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Over 3 million for a 4 years old New Tricks is pretty good going. Maybe some people assumed it was the start of a new series.
  • Options
    dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what Taking New York got on E4?
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    dillan wrote: »
    Less than 458k.

I'd imagine they will be disappointed about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Channel 5:
    Life on the Dole- 2.22m
    10,000BC- 1.06m
    10,000BC looks like being a minor hit, especially with its decent looking demos. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Good night for C5 in general with Police Interceptors doing 1.22m on its return.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dillan wrote: »

I don't watch any of these constructed reality shows, but surely one the appealing aspects is their relatability and the fact viewers can actually visit the places that the cast go to? Just seems something remote and unrelatable about Brits in New York. I basically just think: Lucky beggars, get on with it!
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose that the Gallipoli mini series from earlier will be picked up and shown in the UK to coincide with the 100th anniversary this Summer.

Whilst it is most famous for its association with the Aussies and New Zealanders and is the basis of Anzac day it cost Churchill his job in WW 1 and was also a major battle for UK troops - notably the Lancashire Fusiliers (as I discovered from my family genealogical research into relatives sent there). They lost many men but also won many bravery awards.

Seems sure that someone (Channel 5 perhaps) would give it a go here.
  • Options
    centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose that the Gallipoli mini series from earlier will be picked up and shown in the UK to coincide with the 100th anniversary this Summer.

Whilst it is most famous for its association with the Aussies and New Zealanders and is the basis of Anzac day it cost Churchill his job in WW 1 and was also a major battle for UK troops - notably the Lancashire Fusiliers (as I discovered from my family genealogical research into relatives sent there). They lost many men but also won many bravery awards.

Seems sure that someone (Channel 5 perhaps) would give it a go here.

Far more British than Australian/New Zealand troops died both absolutely and proportionately - but Aussies continue to be taught at school that it was a uniquely wicked act of Brits deliberately or with callous indifference throwing away colonial lives.

That view was of course fuelled by one of the earliest of Mel Gibson's endless stream of movies showcasing his pathological hatred of the English.

No doubt the mini-series will take the same tired line, but that won't stop a British broadcaster picking it up. On the contrary, we are one of the few countries round the world where a show bashing our past is probably more likely to get to air than one celebrating it!
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch any of these constructed reality shows, but surely one the appealing aspects is their relatability and the fact viewers can actually visit the places that the cast go to? Just seems something remote and unrelatable about Brits in New York. I basically just think: Lucky beggars, get on with it!

I'd argue the success of Made in Chelsea is the exact opposite: it offers a glimpse into the world in which the average viewer will never be able to afford!
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    3.2m for a New Tricks repeat doesn't seem that bad considering how the last series went.

Having said that I think it was a repeat of an episode with the old cast so that might be why it did okay. :p
    Yes, a number of the 9pm repeats with the old cast have been under 3m in the last year or so,
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, a number of the 9pm repeats with the old cast have been under 3m in the last year or so,

I do wonder how they expect viewers to become accustomed to the new cast when they keep airing 9pm repeats of episodes with the old cast between series.
  • Options
    dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Less than 458k.

I'd imagine they will be disappointed about that.

Ahh, that sucks, I quite enjoyed it (more than I've enjoyed MIC recently).

MIC didn't exactly start off with the best ratings either so it might grow like how Geordie Shore / MIC did.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Latest PL TV Rights deal to be announced at 5pm. Prepare for the broadcasting forum to explode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Latest PL TV Rights deal to be announced at 5pm. Prepare for the broadcasting forum to explode.

We dont expect many changes if any do we?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    We dont expect many changes if any do we?

Judging by last time, who knows?
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premier League TV rights press conference now on Sky Sports News and Sky News
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    I do wonder how they expect viewers to become accustomed to the new cast when they keep airing 9pm repeats of episodes with the old cast between series.
    True. I think they still have three or four unrepeated episodes with the entire original cast. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Premier League TV rights press conference now on Sky Sports News and Sky News
    Does Sky News still lose money?

Might be vulnerable given Sky appear to have overpaid massively to ensure they keep hold of the most significant packages. If they're serious about minimising the impact on the customer, that is.

BT have done alright IMO. Forced Sky into paying well over the odds and in the mean time secured a more attractive viewing slot for ratings purposes themselves. Saturday 5:30 in addition to exclusive Champions League and Europa League makes for a compelling proposition for football fans.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Might be vulnerable given Sky appear to have overpaid massively to ensure they keep hold of the most significant packages. If they're serious about minimising the impact on the customer, that is.

BT have done alright IMO. Forced Sky into paying well over the odds and in the mean time secured a more attractive viewing slot for ratings purposes themselves. Saturday 5:30 in addition to exclusive Champions League and Europa League makes for a compelling proposition for football fans.

Sky News loses about £30 million a year
  • Options
    Forum Member

Inevitably this means prices will go up to subscribers, I wonder if people will just pay up as normal. I certainly know a lot of people who are saying its too expensive now and might just pick and choose more?
    Are BT getting more games or the same?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rupert Murdoch is apparently willing to let Sky News lose money as he considers his companies to be in the news business first and foremost.

Also they have the 'golden carrot' to chase, so to speak, that one day some government might waive the necessity for TV news channels to be politically neutral, at which point there would presumably be more money making potential in Sky News.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Inevitably this means prices will go up to subscribers, I wonder if people will just pay up as normal. I certainly know a lot of people who are saying its too expensive now and might just pick and choose more?
    Are BT getting more games or the same?

83% increase for Sky, and they will want that income back from viewers. Prepare for a massive hike in price.

The small increase for MOTD with an extra BBC2 show looks a really good deal now.
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australia (that well known European country) get a free pass to the Grand Final of the 2015 Eurovision to thank them for their support on Eurovision's 60th anniversary.
    A one-off (unless they win), and if they do win, 2016 will be held somewhere else in Europe.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=australia_to_participate_in_the_2015_eurovision_song_contest
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont care what they enter, I am so voting for Australia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky have blown BT out of the water in the PL auction. BT have won only 12 first picks compared to 18 currently. Sky have 26 first picks and have also won the Bank Holiday pack, so BT lose the festive games which usually rate well. BT will be disappointed with that I'm sure.
This discussion has been closed.