Top Gear

Comments

• myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DanielF wrote: »
    That Peugeot bit really was dire, wasn't it? It's been such a strong series so far. At least Poundland-Robbie Williams went fastest so it was of interest but I see no reason for the Pug dickery. Next week will we get a feature on how BMW have made cars that tailgate in the overtaking lane?
    :D:D:D
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    The Peugeot bit, by the way, was a slight amusement but went on far, far FAR too long.

And I don't know why they thought the Corvette was so pretty. The front looked OK but the back looked like it was designed by a chimp.
    I wasn't swayed by the Corvette either and the supercars parts didn't hold my attention that much either.
    I liked the news and thought the Peugeot bit was funny although I could see why most people were not happy about its duration, sort-of like delivering the punchline of a joke but then keep dragging out the same joke furthermore. Still, I didn't think it was that bad but overall the entire episode was a bit boring.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    The bit where they drove the two Peugeot cars may be the worst segment in the show's history. Utterly puerile.

I like being forced to watch the show, but that segment was just awful.

Unwatchable tripe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    If they tested boring mobiles I think most people would turn off.

If I was in the market for some boring POS I would test at a dealer.

I was looking at cars just over a year ago and one dealer sat me in a new car.

"It is all plastic and what is that extra pedal for?"

They then tried to sell me a slightly more upmarket POC so I politely left them after leaving them in no doubt they stopped making desirable cars in 2004.

Now there is no way on earth I will ever get to test those 3 supercars. The fastest cars I have driven are German 6 cylinder saloons, a baby Porsche and a rally suspensioned 1978 hatch back, basically nothing under 6 seconds to 60.

Whenever a car show has tried boring cars people gave up, remember Driven, 5th gear, that other one with 3 cars for a person to drive (actually they had some interesting ones).

This is why Top Gear is successfull.
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    I like being forced to watch the show, but that segment was just awful.

Unwatchable tripe

I agree, it was all quite kind of amateurish, not up to the usual standard. I had to laugh though - that double mini roundabout they sat staring at is right by Chipping Norton police station! I wonder nobody came out to see what was going on.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    Spot on.
    It was a very pedestrian segment.
    Also how come every week Hammond get's the piss taken out of him because of his size, May gets ridiculed for being slow but no one jokes about Jeremy's expanding gut.

It gets mentioned every week in our house, it's no joke. :o
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ran across the repeat tonight on BBC 3. The Peugeot section was twenty minutes long, give or take. Twenty minutes, for what is effectively a one note joke. Which, aside from them not knowing how to negotiate paired mini roundabouts, wasn't even that funny in the first place.

Bad, very bad. The rest of the episode was OK but that was properly poor.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I've never watched this programme but it was on and I wanted to see Olly Murs.

What a daft show. Why were they driving around crashing Peugeots?
    Were they really trying to make out they were undriveable.... because it just looked like bad driving to me. Who takes corners and junctions like that?
  • turfmiketurfmike Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Very angry about the Peugeot story, very angry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Were they really trying to make out they were undriveable.... because it just looked like bad driving to me. Who takes corners and junctions like that?
    No, they were trying to make out that people who buy Peugeots can't drive, because Peugeot changed from making cars that people who liked cars loved, to making terrible cars that were cheap, so were bought by people who didn't care about cars at all and therefore probably couldn't drive them very well.

Tortuous logic, even more tortuous segment.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    turfmike wrote: »

OK, I'll bite. What was it about a silly film on a tv show that actually made you so "very angry"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's only telly. Being insulted by TG actually puts you in quite good company.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    I agree, it was all quite kind of amateurish, not up to the usual standard. I had to laugh though - that double mini roundabout they sat staring at is right by Chipping Norton police station! I wonder nobody came out to see what was going on.

Interesting with them using Chipping Norton, does make me wonder if something had to be cancelled and they to make up time. I presumed they filmed in North Africa whilst filming something else. Could they have intended to carry on a proper feature on Peugeot filmed abroad but had to cancel because of the insurance problems - North Africa not a safe place at the moment. So they bodged together something done on their home ground?
  • turfmiketurfmike Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Because apart from the Ralley wins (peugeot 205GTI) they had nothing good to say about Peugoet now or for the future.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the Land Rover one on the Iplayer, didn't look like he was actually doing it to me, when the camera was inside with him, from the side, so you could see out of the window, it looked like a film.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Gordon Bennet... One note joke, undrivable, 205 GTi 'Ralley' wins, very very angry, filler for some other cancelled item....

Heck it was a routine TG silly film having a pop at Peugeot drivers and the type of car that Peugeot have been knocking out for the last few years. A lot of silly gags, a pop at certain stereotypes just like the regualr pop at Audi drivers that no-one seems too annoyed by, and someone is very very angry at a bit of fun. Blimey. It was the sort of thing they've done for years and suddenly they've lost the plot apparently.

It was fun, and hit the spot on numerous occasions. And the 205GTi didn't win any 'Ralley' world championship events. A spaceframe mid-engined Grp B supercar that in silhouette bore a passing resemblance the 205 was a success in the world rally championship, and the GTi was a useful clubman's rally car, but the GTi wasn't Peugeot's 'Ralley' car of choice.
  • Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Why can't any of you spell rally?
  • Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member

Let me guess, you own a Peugeot and you can't drive properly so it hit a nerve?
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Peugeot bit. Actually made me laugh, which is rare for TV.
    Forum Member
    Uncle_Phil wrote: »
    Why can't any of you spell rally?
    You did spot the 'quotes' yeah? ;-)
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because apart from the Ralley wins (peugeot 205GTI) they had nothing good to say about Peugoet now or for the future.

Thats because french cars, not just peugoets are generally shite. If you dont want to be angry go buy yourself a decent car
  • alias99alias99 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Could they have intended to carry on a proper feature on Peugeot filmed abroad but had to cancel because of the insurance problems - North Africa not a safe place at the moment. So they bodged together something done on their home ground?

The Peugeot concerned was on Moroccan plates. Morocco isn't particularly dangerous unless you go to the very southern disputed part.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Gordon Bennet... One note joke, undrivable, 205 GTi 'Ralley' wins, very very angry, filler for some other cancelled item....

Heck it was a routine TG silly film having a pop at Peugeot drivers and the type of car that Peugeot have been knocking out for the last few years. A lot of silly gags, a pop at certain stereotypes just like the regualr pop at Audi drivers that no-one seems too annoyed by, and someone is very very angry at a bit of fun. Blimey. It was the sort of thing they've done for years and suddenly they've lost the plot apparently.

It was fun, and hit the spot on numerous occasions. And the 205GTi didn't win any 'Ralley' world championship events. A spaceframe mid-engined Grp B supercar that in silhouette bore a passing resemblance the 205 was a success in the world rally championship, and the GTi was a useful clubman's rally car, but the GTi wasn't Peugeot's 'Ralley' car of choice.

But apart from the few minutes in Africa, there must have been fifteen minutes of basically the same gag. Even by Top Gear standards that was poor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alias99 wrote: »
    The Peugeot concerned was on Moroccan plates. Morocco isn't particularly dangerous unless you go to the very southern disputed part.

They could have been planning to film in the remoter parts but insurance companies tend to be very conservative so North Africa could mean that they would not give insurance cover or at least not at a sensible price.
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    But apart from the few minutes in Africa, there must have been fifteen minutes of basically the same gag. Even by Top Gear standards that was poor.
    Given that it I didn't see it as one gag any more than the ambulance film was the same gag for a whole programme, one of the basics of comedy is reinforcement and repetition. Regardless, this was a a sequence of the sort of contrived exaggeration that we're used to seeing and enjoy seeing, from the board meeting through the bad driving, bad design, to the Daily Mail reading R2 listening people who fit the stereotype.

I just don't get the animosity towards it. It was a TG film, no better & no worse than a load of similar films they've done.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Given that it I didn't see it as one gag any more than the ambulance film was the same gag for a whole programme, one of the basics of comedy is reinforcement and repetition. Regardless, this was a a sequence of the sort of contrived exaggeration that we're used to seeing and enjoy seeing, from the board meeting through the bad driving, bad design, to the Daily Mail reading R2 listening people who fit the stereotype.

I just don't get the animosity towards it. It was a TG film, no better & no worse than a load of similar films they've done.

I think they missed the mark, it was just puerile, overlong and what's so bad about Peugeot that their drivers are particularly bad compared to any other make?, maybe they have an inhouse joke about Peugeot drivers but it fell very flat, humour wise there's nothing worse.
This discussion has been closed.