Options

The One Direction Appreciation Thread (9)

Comments

• Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    That's great :D
    I had heard some disappointing news about the set list (NO "Stockholm Syndrome", "No Control" & another one I really like I think. Add to that the presence of some of the not-as-good songs from MM apparently...), and I have been too busy to investigate the matter.
    I hope that the set list will be centered around FOUR & a few other outstanding hits in countries like the UK or the US -which had the MM tour last year.

I hope so. It would be nice to see Louis singing about his loaded gun Lol. But based on last years tour they hardly changed the set list at all. I just want them to get rid of Little Things. Such a snoozefest. Zzzzzzzz Lol.
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Oh right. That's good. Harry, Niall and Liam have just tweeted telling everyone to vote too!! Although as it's like 5am in Japan it's probably management tweeting lol.

Royal Blood???!!!!?? Never heard of them!!!

I think they will win best video! On Twitter thay are trending with 733k tweets and then the next Brit one is Mark Ronson with 25k so a massive difference!

Haha yeah I don't think a lot have! I had heard of them myself but they're quite rocky. Not to my taste.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha! they did give the global success to sam smith!! congrats to him!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zaynie tweeted thx to those who tweeted lolz :D :kitty:
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam Smith just won global success! Ant and Dec said it was the UK artist who sold the most outside the UK! How did he win if 1D were the second biggest selling act in the world?
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    Ha ha! they did give the global success to sam smith!! congrats to him!!

Oh well. Actually happy he won it. Funny, no one has called it the made up award tonight.:D

The biggest selling UK act didn't win it though.
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done (to the fans) for getting another Brit Award, it's already their 5th!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to the boys!! 5th brits award!! in the words of zayn malik: Woooo!!
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats to the boys.:)

Still can't get over Madonna's fall. Lol!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    Congrats to the boys.:)

Still can't get over Madonna's fall. Lol!:D

and we waited two decades for that :o
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam Smith just won global success! Ant and Dec said it was the UK artist who sold the most outside the UK! How did he win if 1D were the second biggest selling act in the world?

If they count it Brits-Brits rather than calendar year then MM's January 2014 sales won't have been included - Four didn't gain much in the last month whereas Sam's album is still going strong and is selling very well overseas. Sam would have easily beaten them on single sales in the last month as well.

But it might also have been because he was there lol.
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they count it Brits-Brits rather than calendar year then MM's January 2014 sales won't have been included - Four didn't gain much in the last month whereas Sam's album is still going strong and is selling very well overseas. Sam would have easily beaten them on single sales in the last month as well.

But it might also have been because he was there lol.

good point, could well be they're counting from Brits to Brits! Would make sense :)
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it the song you and I that won the award or the video? How ironic if the video. The fans hate it and yet voted for it. That is dedication :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Was it the song you and I that won the award or the video? How ironic if the video. The fans hate it and yet voted for it. That is dedication :D

the video lolz :blush: :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The fans voted for the boys, really. If it had been in competition with another 1D video it would have been interesting to see which would have won. MM seemed to get forgotten about quite quickly. I'd say Night Changes has been the best received one since SOML, quite a bit to do with how gorgeous Zayn looked in it :)

Fingers crossed we get a new video soon! I hope Stockholm Syndrome being added to the setlist means it's a contender for either the 3rd or 4th single (if we get a 4th). I just can't see Ready To Run taking off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a big change in music release dates. All singles and albums will go on sale on Fridays at 00.01 local time in every territory. Not all retailers are happy as sales will be concentrated into a few days but it makes it simpler for labels and artists to release everything simultaneously.

The UK chart is also now including streaming but it will be weighted and averaged over the whole album, unlike Billboard's system where streams of smash hit singles (e.g. Mark Ronson's Uptown Funk) distort the data. Without Uptown Funk Mark Ronson's album would have charted much worse. This is good news for the boys as they are an album act.

http://popbitch.com/home/2015/02/25/sales-of-the-century/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Night Changes has carried on climbing and is now at #15 in US radioplay chart, great news. I'd really like it if this song was deemed a big enough success that they perform it at TV concerts and festivals in place of Little Things. LT is so slow.

I read this review of Four and I agree with them that 1D at better at the fun pop-rock songs than ballads.
    SOML was great but they haven't shined like Take That did with Million Love Songs, Back For Good & Love Ain't Here Anymore, or Backstreet Boys did with Quit Playing Games and I Want It That Way. Fool's Gold is for me the closest they've got recently but they haven't put it in the setlist. All the ballads on Four are very Harry-heavy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night Changes has carried on climbing and is now at #15 in US radioplay chart, great news. I'd really like it if this song was deemed a big enough success that they perform it at TV concerts and festivals in place of Little Things. LT is so slow.

I read this review of Four and I agree with them that 1D at better at the fun pop-rock songs than ballads.
    SOML was great but they haven't shined like Take That did with Million Love Songs, Back For Good & Love Ain't Here Anymore, or Backstreet Boys did with Quit Playing Games and I Want It That Way. Fool's Gold is for me the closest they've got recently but they haven't put it in the setlist. All the ballads on Four are very Harry-heavy.

Do you think so? I am a Harry voice stan which means I listen out for his voice more than the others yet I disagree. Night changes is the only one he has a long verse on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think so? I am a Harry voice stan which means I listen out for his voice more than the others yet I disagree. Night changes is the only one he has a long verse on

I like Harry's voice a lot but I'm not sure if his is the best one for croony ballads? He has a lot of 18, pretty much the first third aside from a verse for Zayn. He also has the chorus of Fool's Gold, same as he did in You & I and SOML.

I'd be interested in finding out how people go about writing for vocal groups - whether they have certain voices in mind for different parts (e.g. lets put a riff at the end for Zayn) or if they write the song and then see how it sounds when the boys start singing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Harry's voice a lot but I'm not sure if his is the best one for croony ballads? He has a lot of 18, pretty much the first third aside from a verse for Zayn. He also has the chorus of Fool's Gold, same as he did in You & I and SOML.

I'd be interested in finding out how people go about writing for vocal groups - whether they have certain voices in mind for different parts (e.g. lets put a riff at the end for Zayn) or if they write the song and then see how it sounds when the boys start singing it.

I read that Girls aloud would each record all the song then they (producers I presume) would decide who got what . Maybe they do the same
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »

Oh my, I don't want to get my hopes up :blush:. I hope it comes through too. I would love to hear Zayn, Harry or Liam singing songs that aren't necessarily for 1D in the next little while. Maybe there's been some new arrangement in their contract that allows them to do side things. I hope so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my, I don't want to get my hopes up :blush:. I hope it comes through too. I would love to hear Zayn, Harry or Liam singing songs that aren't necessarily for 1D in the next little while. Maybe there's been some new arrangement in their contract that allows them to do side things. I hope so.

Well Simon has given the green light

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/simon-cowell-one-direction-can-solo-work-639987.html?f=rss

I wouldn't get your hopes up re NB he seems to like talking about Zayn and his past record isn't very accurate regards his single being on 4 and being the next single :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tentatively excited about the Zayn-Naughty Boy song. Simon is being clever about this - let the boys work on things outside of 1D on the proviso that they stay together as a group. They're talented boys & 1D isn't a particularly experimental or adventurous act.

This is great for Zayn as well because if the song is a hit then he gets some credit and exposure as a vocalist and if it flops then any criticism goes towards Naughty Boy.