Options

BBC Local Radio roll-out on Freeview

a516a516 Posts: 5,241
Forum Member
As of 01/03/2015, BBC Local Radio is available in the following areas, for users with the following regional news programmes on BBC One:

BBC Radio Bristol - channel 719 - Points West
BBC London - channel 721 - BBC London News
BBC WM - channel 722 - Midlands Today

As of 01/03/2015, the following services have been spotted testing as a hidden stream that can't be accessed on most Freeview devices, in the regions served by the following regional TV news services:
BBC Radio Cambridge - Look East
BBC Radio Devon - Spotlight
BBC Radio Leeds - Look North (Leeds - Yorkshire)
BBC Radio Manchester - North West Today/Tonight
BBC Radio Newcastle - Look North (Newcastle - NE & Cumbria)
BBC Radio Norfolk - Look East
BBC Radio Nottingham - East Midlands Today

The channel range 719-722 is used for BBC Local Radio on Freeview. The stations are broadcast alongside other BBC Radio stations on Freeview via multiplex PSB1/BBC-A.

Why are only certain stations appearing on Freeview?
The emerging pattern is that the BBC Local Radio station co-located with BBC Regional TV in each region is the first to go live on Freeview. There is sufficient capacity for additional BBC Local Radio stations to go live in the future.

Issues
FM and editorial areas vary in comparison to TV regions so that the roll-out of BBC Local Radio may amplify some of the regional anomalies already experienced on regional TV services. Broadly, TV transmitters were originally located based on providing maximum coverage before extra layers of regionality, e.g. through sub-regions, were added in later decades. But most listeners affected by anomalies can continue to listen on FM, DAB and online.

If you spot any new BBC local radio stations on Freeview, post below.

Comments

• Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do, please can you also provide PIDs and SID numbers where possible - ie the technical background info.

FREEVIEW PIDs

BBCA/MUX 1/PSB1 (as at 02/03/2015)

101/102 (100): BBC1
    201/202 (200): BBC2
    301/302 (300): BBC3
    401/402 (400): BBC4
    501/502 (500): BBC News
    601/602 (600): BBC Parliament
    301/302 (700): CBBC
    401/402 (800): CBeebies
    951/952 (950): BBC Red Button 1
    1002 (1000): Radio 1
    1102 (1100): Radio 2
    1202 (1200): Radio 3
    1302 (1300): Radio 4 DAB
    1402 (1400): Radio 5 Live
    1502 (1500): Radio 5 Live Sports Extra
    1602 (1600): Radio 6 Music
    1702 (1700): Radio 4 Extra
    1802 (1800): Radio 1 Xtra
    1902 (1900): Asian Network
    2002 (2000): World Service
    3202 (3200) 6148: BBC London 94.9 (Crystal Palace)
    6149: BBC Radio WM (Sutton Coldfield, Ridge Hill, Lark Stoke, Bromsgrove, The Wrekin)
    3202 (3200) 6151: BBC Radio Norfolk (Tacolneston, Sandy Heath, Sudbury)
    3202 (3200) 6152: BBC Radio Bristol (Mendip)
    3202 (3200): BBC Radio Manchester (Winter Hill)
    3202 (3200) 6153: BBC Radio Newcastle (Pontop Pike, Caldbeck, Chatton, Bilsdale)
    3202 (3200) 6154: BBC Radio Leeds (Emley Moor)
    3302 (3300) 6510: BBC Radio Nottingham (Waltham/Nottingham)
    3302 (3300) 6210: BBC Radio Devon (Caradon Hill, Huntshaw Cross, Beacon Hilll, Redruth, Stockland Hill)
    3502 (3500) 6285: BBC Radio Cambridgeshire (Tacolneston, Sandy Hath, Sudbury)

This is a full mux list with PIDs and SIDs where known. Any more please can you fill in the gaps.

Thanks
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange I would have preferred Sudbury to have BBC Essex or Suffolk but another station is better than nothing.
  • Options
    Anthony_UKAnthony_UK Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If BBC Radio Lancashire goes from Winter Hill in stereo from Freeview it'll cover the whole of NW England and beyond NOT just Lancashire heehee! Winter Hill also gets into South Cumbria North Wales parts of Shropshire North Staffordshire as well! It'll be great to hear BBC Radio Lancashire widely if this happens. Pendle Forest Haslingden and Lancaster would also carry BBC Radio Lancashire on Freeview too, so complete coverage indeed. ;)
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange I would have preferred Sudbury to have BBC Essex or Suffolk but another station is better than nothing.

I think the reason for that is given in the OP. I hope Suffolk is included, it's one of just a few BBC stations not available on DAB so it should be. When football is on FM is the only way of listening. After the initial testing we may see Cambridge disappear from Tacolneston/Sudbury and Norfolk from Sandy Heath, and more stations added, but who knows what will happen.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Bumfrey (Radio Norfolk) has just made a reference to this on air, saying his show tomorrow (12 till 4) will be the first show to be broadcast on Freeview 719 from Tacolneston.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm told BBC Solent has been spotted lurking on Rowridge (no surprise)

I assume it's on Hannington and Midhurst too, I look forward to it, if true :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    I'm told BBC Solent has been spotted lurking on Rowridge (no surprise)

I assume it's on Hannington and Midhurst too, I look forward to it, if true :p

Whoever told you - do they have the SID and PIDs for this?

Good news there is another one testing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Whoever told you - do they have the SID and PIDs for this?

It's come via a contrived route, but I'll endeavour to find out.

The only BBC TV regions not reported so far are:-

South East (Dover, Heathfield, Bluebell)

Hull and Lincs (Belmont)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's come via a contrived route, but I'll endeavour to find out.

The only BBC TV regions not reported so far are:-

South East (Dover, Heathfield, Bluebell)

Hull and Lincs (Belmont)

Thanks. Can you try to find out the extra PIDs etc so we have a full list of data?
  • Options
    PhilipSPhilipS Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were some exchanges on the other thread about how BBC HW could be served on Freeview - it does need to be on Ridge Hill (for Herefordshire), but Worcestershire is more complex - although almost the whole county can get a signal from Malvern, Bromsgrove or Ridge Hill, a considerable number get their signals direct from Sutton Coldfield, and quite a few from Lark Stoke. Putting the thing on Sutton Coldfield Freeview would sort that out.

I'd imagine though that SC has similar overlaps - including its dependent relays - to a greater or lesser extent with Shropshire, Stoke, Derby and Leicester - and of course WM and C&W. And there are people up on the top of the Cotswolds who use the thing in preference to Ridge Hill. The big transmitters aren't going to please everyone if this rollout is limited to four locals.

Is SC the worst offender in this regard? Does any other transmitter serve a significant part of more than seven locals' area?
  • Options
    countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be a bit naive about this, but will the BBC local stations mentioned in this thread in earlier postings also be carried on the relay transmitters associated with the main transmitters mentioned?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilipS wrote: »

Is SC the worst offender in this regard? Does any other transmitter serve a significant part of more than seven locals' area?

Crystal Palace, equal with seven ?

London (all of)
    Berks (East of)
    Essex (West and south)
    Surrey (Almost all)
    3CR (A lots of Bucks, fair bit of Herts)
    Kent (Far north west)
    Sussex (Crawley area)
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    countyboy wrote: »
    Sorry to be a bit naive about this, but will the BBC local stations mentioned in this thread in earlier postings also be carried on the relay transmitters associated with the main transmitters mentioned?

Yes, they're on the BBC A mux which is carried at all sites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE

Just spoken to BBC and they have confirmed the following from tomorrow (3 March)

All these start officially on Freeview on 3 March 2015:

719:
    BBC Radio Norfolk
    BBC Radio Kent
    BBC Radio Solent
    BBC Radio Newcastle
    BBC Radio Manchester
    BBC Radio Leeds

Radio Nottingham
    Radio Devon

On transmitters in the respective areas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE

Just spoken to BBC and they have confirmed the following from tomorrow (3 March)

719:
    BBC Radio Norfolk
    BBC Radio Kent
    BBC Radio Solent
    BBC Radio Newcastle
    BBC Radio Manchester
    BBC Radio Leeds

Radio Nottingham
    Radio Devon

No launch for Radio Cambs yet then ?
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    No launch for Radio Cambs yet then ?

I'd hazard a guess as it's the first "two local radio stations" site they might be just be testing for now. Or it could be a mistake. We'll find out tomorrow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE

CORRECTION!

The corrected list can be found below. All correct except I did not mention Radio Cambridgeshire. It Is starting tomorrow on 722.

719:
    BBC Radio Norfolk
    BBC Radio Kent
    BBC Radio Solent
    BBC Radio Newcastle
    BBC Radio Manchester
    BBC Radio Leeds

Radio Nottingham
    Radio Devon

CORRECTION!

The corrected list can be found below. All correct except I did not mention Radio Cambridgeshire. It Is starting tomorrow on 722.

719:
    BBC Radio Norfolk
    BBC Radio Kent
    BBC Radio Solent
    BBC Radio Newcastle
    BBC Radio Manchester
    BBC Radio Leeds

Radio Nottingham
    Radio Devon

Radio Cambridgeshire

On transmitters in the respective areas. Cambridgeshire on the same transmitters as Radio Norfolk
  • Options
    countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilipS wrote: »
    There were some exchanges on the other thread about how BBC HW could be served on Freeview - it does need to be on Ridge Hill (for Herefordshire), but Worcestershire is more complex - although almost the whole county can get a signal from Malvern, Bromsgrove or Ridge Hill, a considerable number get their signals direct from Sutton Coldfield, and quite a few from Lark Stoke. Putting the thing on Sutton Coldfield Freeview would sort that out.

I'd imagine though that SC has similar overlaps - including its dependent relays - to a greater or lesser extent with Shropshire, Stoke, Derby and Leicester - and of course WM and C&W. And there are people up on the top of the Cotswolds who use the thing in preference to Ridge Hill. The big transmitters aren't going to please everyone if this rollout is limited to four locals.

Yes, parts of north Oxfordshire receive from Sutton Coldfield and its relays in the county.
    Also. there is a very small percentage of Gloucestershire's population served by the Winchcombe and Lark Stoke relays of Sutton Coldfield.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just spotted another link with all these stations - and it does relate to all of the current batch of stations

All of the local stations launching on Freeview today (3 March) as well as all those local already on Freeview in England, as well as those in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland broadcast in STEREO online.

The remaining local stations in England are in MONO online and it is hoped these will become stereo by the summer - around July apparently.

That may give us a clue as to any future roll-out of these stations. We will have to keep an eye out online to see which are next to go stereo!

That does not mean of course that they will necessarily go on Freeview afterwards
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Norfolk & Cambridge are now working on Sudbury. :)
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCN tables have just updated on Winter Hill, BBC Radio Manchester "BBC Manchester" has appeared as expected on 719. Also "BBC Leeds" has appeared in the Service Table as an overlap service, though not broadcast from WH or its relays.

Clearly we are going to have a bunch of these services detected across the country. Can I suggest we hang fire a bit on the changelog thread and later on let somebody who has tracked it all (any volunteers?) do a single changelog post covering as much as possible?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    LCN tables have just updated on Winter Hill, BBC Radio Manchester "BBC Manchester" has appeared as expected on 719. Also "BBC Leeds" has appeared in the Service Table as an overlap service, though not broadcast from WH or its relays.

Clearly we are going to have a bunch of these services detected across the country. Can I suggest we hang fire a bit on the changelog thread and later on let somebody who has tracked it all (any volunteers?) do a single changelog post covering as much as possible?

That makes perfect sense. However, here we can log each individual change as normal.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »

Sorry, updated the changelog before seeing this post.

On Waltham "BBC Nottingham" has appeared on LCN 720 on PSB1.
    Channel 6150
    On Table_ID: 0x42 (current mux)
    Service Name: BBC Nottingham
    Provider Name: 
    Transport Stream ID: 4166 (0x1046) 
    Original Network ID: 9018 (0x233a)

Also, the following overlap services are also visible:-

BBC WM
    BBC Norfolk
    BBC Leeds
    BBC Cambridge
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    BBC Norfolk & Cambridge are now working on Sudbury. :)

Ditto Sandy Heath.
  • Options
    Dave_AnthonyDave_Anthony Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Radio Devon now on 720 from Redruth (Cornwall!!)