10,000BC CHANNEL 5 mon 2nd feb

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. The prioritising the hunting was an interesting comment. he was the only one that understood that hunting had to be the priority and that it wasn't instantly successful. A large kill would feed the group for weeks with high quality protein.

Agree with your second point as well. They are all exhausted, hungry, sleeping in close quarters, and not sleeping well. He may well have just been dreaming of home

I noticed that too. Speaking about Paul going after what he was accused of, Mel brought up Paul's eagerness to hunt every day. I thought at the time, hang on a minute, that's completely irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    jodie is getting a lot of abuse on twitter. She really doesn't deserve to. She obviously didn't want the production team to know about it but the decision was taken out of her hands and blown out of proportion by the others. But she's being decried as a liar and attention seeker.

When people on reality shows talk about turning their mikes off, I think it's often to create drama in itself. They know that it's not as if no one will notice. Not that I'm necessarily saying that's what she did in this instance, but on other shows it often seems to be the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She shouldn't have to ask for help. JP!

No just play the martyr, and do plenty of talking head pieces to camera about how she does everything and that they couldn't survive without her.
    Not that she'd necessarily be wrong, but oh isn't she making a meal of it?
    At one point she started to sound like Steve the way she was acting self important.
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I thought that too... I also had a feeling that when you are in that state of mind, malnourished and freezing cold then you may not have been totally in control of what you were doing..

He seemed to be in control of which parts of her body he wanted to touch.

My opinion is that he's tried to cop a feel and has been found out on it.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »
    He seemed to be in control of which parts of her body he wanted to touch.

My opinion is that he's tried to cop a feel and has been found out on it.

Obviously no-one except the two of them knows what really happened, but I did think it was odd that Paul insisted that Jodie had moved his hand, i.e. blaming her. He could have got away with saying that he had no memory of it happening, he must have been asleep and dreaming about his family, etc,, etc., as Jodie's mother had already said. They could have moved him to the end of the "sleeping line", next to Mike or JP, so it wouldn't have happened again. Jodie is not a naive young woman, I'm sure, and she's not going to be freaked out by a man touching her up in the company of four other friendly people, hence the lack of hysterics. Whoever she'd told about it would have advised her to say something, so she'd have had to have kept quiet and run the risk of it being repeated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silven wrote: »
    No mention of practicalities like women's periods. And as for the mascara. This was a very half a**ed experiment.

it's not mascara. It's charcoal from the fire mixed with fat. Even Maybelline doesn't make a mascara that thick.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silven wrote: »
    No mention of practicalities like women's periods. And as for the mascara. This was a very half a**ed experiment.

I thought we might see them washing, occasionally, too.
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Obviously no-one except the two of them knows what really happened, but I did think it was odd that Paul insisted that Jodie had moved his hand, i.e. blaming her. He could have got away with saying that he had no memory of it happening, he must have been asleep and dreaming about his family, etc,, etc., as Jodie's mother had already said. They could have moved him to the end of the "sleeping line", next to Mike or JP, so it wouldn't have happened again. Jodie is not a naive young woman, I'm sure, and she's not going to be freaked out by a man touching her up in the company of four other friendly people, hence the lack of hysterics. Whoever she'd told about it would have advised her to say something, so she'd have had to have kept quiet and run the risk of it being repeated.

He was never going to say "yes I groped her" was he?
    Probably blame it on her for giving mixed messages when she was just trying to keep warm ( spooning, hugs) in a very cold environment.
    I believe her over him.
    Especially after where I heard he tried to warm his fingers.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somehow I feel that Paul has been set up over this and it is very sad that the others have made him leave. Jo's mother shouldn't have been there during his "trial" as it is obvious that she would be on the side of Jo whatever the situation. Also Mel would be on the side of Jo too so it was a very unfair way to judge Paul.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was all rather strange.
    Why on earth did she not jump up and make a fuss when it happened? :confused:
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting.
    At one point tonight I asked my wife "is that woman wearing false eyelashes?"
    We both thought she was.

You weren't the only ones. ;-)
    If he really did what she said he did, then why did she just go back to sleep? Why didn't she kick up a fuss when it happened?
    The next day she was going for a jolly forage (no euphemism intended) with a couple of the others, and then sort of casually mentioned it.

I'm really not sure about this at all, and the others seemed a bit too ready to take sides and get him kicked out. I think if Jo said it was fine and they could still continue even if they weren't as close as before, then I think the others should have taken more of an even stance.

I don't know, I guess you have to remember that this is reality TV and that they know that they're on reality TV, so it's not easy to point fingers and you have to take a lot of things with a pinch of salt.

Spot on.
    My thoughts too.

Wasn't too keen on Paul but I didn't like that Kangaroo Court. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't too keen on Paul but I didn't like that Kangaroo Court. :(

I'm assuming that the production team must be pretty sure how it all went down. They've had the opportunity to question both parties at length, and I think there may be a camera in the hut, even if we don't see the feed from it. They'd then have to come up with a way of dealing with it that was in keeping with the 10,000 BC scenario, and I guess the "kangaroo court" was the easiest way. I was interested to see that Mike didn't support Paul either. There were four people on the "jury", two women and two men, and all four wanted him to leave, so I guess it was as fair as it reasonably could be, under the circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I think there might have been an element of mixed messages in that perhaps Jodie got a bit more cuddly than Paul was used to, but it doesn't alter the fact that if he was awake at the time and knew what was going on, he himself should perhaps just have turned over or shoved her away. Even by his own account, he wasn't exactly saying no.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what to think regarding the incident. Guess we will never know the truth really, as we didn't see it ourselves and no one really was there apart from the two involved.

Jodie was smiling way too much during the whole thing, I don't know if that was a worried nervous smile or she knew what she was doing. But I don't know why she would have made it up either, she never had a problem with Paul, so it wouldn't have been a planned thing. I truly believe that Paul didn't know what he was doing, it's like the Russian sleep experiment, if they were in there and didn't sleep or eat for an additional month, they'd probably have had to be checked into a unit and resorted to cannibalism.

Bet Channel 5 are thinking.. "Erm, why is this happening again? This is the second groping incident of the year on here".

As for Mike, hope he does return but looking at next week, it doesn't look like he is in it. It would be baffling that JP would be the last man standing, wouldn't have thought that back in Week 1!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    As for Mike, hope he does return but looking at next week, it doesn't look like he is in it. It would be baffling that JP would be the last man standing, wouldn't have thought that back in Week 1!

The OH suggested last night that some of the more "physical" men, like Mike and Paul, probably have quite a high calorie requirement in their normal life, maybe more like 4000 calories per day. People who don't do a lot of physical stuff can get by easily on around 1200-1500 calories for normal life, and 800 calories for a while if they have to. So the strong guys would actually suffer first because their bodies aren't used to the calorie deprivation, whereas the women and JP would be better off. It also depends on their weight before they went in, and their fat to muscle ratio.

It's been an interesting experiment that hasn't really worked. I imagine that in the actual Stone Age, for a start, people were used to the "feast and famine" situation, i.e. they'd gorge on food when it was available and last for several weeks on berries etc. when it wasn't. Modern people have become grazers, because food is always available. Also, the participants didn't seem to think much about conserving energy - it would have made much more sense (as Paul eventually did, but got kicked out before he could test it) to stake out the animal trails and sit there, safely up a tree with your bow and arrows, for them to arrive. And Mel, who seems to have become the unelected leader, should have had a rota for fire duty as soon as she realised that people weren't going to volunteer. Climate also makes a difference - being abandoned on a desert island would probably be a much pleasanter experience!
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the muppet who spent 8 hours making a huge communal bed on some shakey "keeping warm together" logic.
    It really is very modern to get all fake outraged at a sleepy boobfondle even if it wasn't reciprocated. I'm surprised they had the energy ...
    That mother is a snake, JP is a lazy snake and the bedmaker bloke is a backstabbing bastard.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... waiting for that moment when they finally make a hunting "kill". I thought tonight might be the night:(
    It was, but not the sort of kill you were thinking of! /tinfoilhat
    fast left wrote: »
    ... pity i've missed all the constructive criticism on here :)
    No problem, we all try to avoid doing any of that sort of thing :p
    Dix wrote: »
    They not only stayed vegetarian, but when they were gathering berries, they were eating them at same time, ...
    Aside from previous remarks about calorie requirements, this will be one of the other reasons that the 'gatherers' have survived longer - they have been eating while collecting and then having a ration as well, whereas the hunters have only had rations. I remember always gaining several pounds per half punnet at the local pick-your-own!
    ... I didn't like that Kangaroo Court. :(
    Me neither - but none of us have any real clue as to the full truth of it - half-starved people half-asleep, he said, she said? On the other hand there seemed to be a few people glad to boot him out and none of it seems to fit right but maybe that's just a consequence of the situation.
    TBH what I'm actually hoping is that this was part of the experiment and not 'real'.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That mother is a snake, JP is a lazy snake and the bedmaker bloke is a backstabbing bastard.
    No, don't hold back, say what you really mean :p
  • WarpWarp Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you see the contradictory reactions between Chloe from Big Brother and Jodie from 10000BC it really makes think how difficult it is to judge what's true or not. Chloe a model whose posed topless several times was quite distraught at the mere exposing of her breast in a bathroom which had cameras in, Jodie though, not a word about being groped and touched in a lot more intimate place surrounded by friends, in fact she seemed quite nonchalant about it till JP got involved but even then she was all smiles and even offered to sleep next to him again.

I don't like victim blaming, but I don't get Jodie's reaction to it all, it makes me think perhaps she didn't mind it and brought it up on the cuff only for the others to be repulsed by the idea and then it spiralled out of control with paul getting blamed.
  • keeping_it_realkeeping_it_real Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    That girl looks really pleased with herself.

Feel it was handled badly, because now he is tarred as a groper and I feel sorry for his family. People do all sorts of sub-conscious things in their sleep, her and him included.
    Or am I a dinosaur in my thinking?

I agree she looked way too pleased with herself and feel they've all used this as an excuse to get rid of him BUT...

I could have believed that he did it in a semi-conscious state until he said that she put his hand on her boob so presumably he was awake and aware what was going on.

It's a real shame though that the only person who seemed to want to do the experiment properly has been made to leave. Presumably in 10,000BC if that had happened he wouldn't have been cast from the group (especially if he was their only hunter!) they could have just made sure they never slept next to each other again or he could have been made to move to the smaller hut on his own.

The rest that are left have just turned it into an endurance test rather than a survival one, sit back conserving energy and you'll be left there until the end. I hope when it ends they spin them round three times in the middle of the forest and leave them there to fend for themselves properly, lazy gits!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Mel, that is, who seems to be working really hard. Did anyone notice how thin her arm was when they were taking her blood?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the mum's make up, she's had that all the way through. I guess she could have eyelash extensions and the eyeliner could be the semi-permanent stuff.

Mel at least looks like a cave woman now, she definitely looked like she was wearing pink lip gloss in an earlier talking head shot and her hair looked suspiciously neat. Their hair doesn't even seem to get greasy and I'm pretty sure mine would be in dreads after that amount of time.

I can't stand the mum. I was vegetarian myself for 13 years and even I was yelling for them to kill the dog that wandered into camp :o
  • WarpWarp Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mom says on twitter a lot wasn't shown.

Josie #10000BC ‏@josieorourke 4h hours ago

@allig4torsky_ we didn't hate him & who knows how someone will react until it happens to them . There is a lot of footage not shown
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming that the production team must be pretty sure how it all went down. They've had the opportunity to question both parties at length, and I think there may be a camera in the hut, even if we don't see the feed from it. They'd then have to come up with a way of dealing with it that was in keeping with the 10,000 BC scenario, and I guess the "kangaroo court" was the easiest way. I was interested to see that Mike didn't support Paul either. There were four people on the "jury", two women and two men, and all four wanted him to leave, so I guess it was as fair as it reasonably could be, under the circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I think there might have been an element of mixed messages in that perhaps Jodie got a bit more cuddly than Paul was used to, but it doesn't alter the fact that if he was awake at the time and knew what was going on, he himself should perhaps just have turned over or shoved her away. Even by his own account, he wasn't exactly saying no.

What makes this more difficult is that it is the group habit of all sleeping together and cuddling up to keep themselves warm. Which is what the show itself encouraged. So if they sleep together that way it opens itself up to all kinds of risk. It's not even as if the programme itself will know what really happened if it was under the covers.

I have the feeling that they may have been half asleep drifting from being awake to sleeping, and that Paul didn't know how close his hand was to her boob. If you're asleep how would you be aware? She moved his hand away because she felt his hand was too close to her boob, and then perhaps he suddenly realised what she had done and wasn't even sure himself what he had actually done, and that it may well have been unintentional.
    I think if it was intentional, and Jodie knew it was, then she would have really freaked out and everyone at the time would know about it.
    In fact wouldn't the best course of action at the time to be to deal with it there and then, wake everyone up and say what just happened, and suggest that they rearrange their sleeping system by maybe asking Paul to move between the boys or something to minimize the risk of such things happening again?

I think it's quite plausible that Jodie wasn't sure, and that Paul wasn't sure.
    It seemed to become a problem when Jodie was talking to JP about it and they were speaking of taking their mikes off.
    But of course it was a big risk on part of the show itself to encourage them all to sleep in this manner as it opens themselves up to all sorts of potential risky legal problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    I don't know what to think regarding the incident. Guess we will never know the truth really, as we didn't see it ourselves and no one really was there apart from the two involved.

Jodie was smiling way too much during the whole thing, I don't know if that was a worried nervous smile or she knew what she was doing. But I don't know why she would have made it up either, she never had a problem with Paul, so it wouldn't have been a planned thing. I truly believe that Paul didn't know what he was doing, it's like the Russian sleep experiment, if they were in there and didn't sleep or eat for an additional month, they'd probably have had to be checked into a unit and resorted to cannibalism.

Bet Channel 5 are thinking.. "Erm, why is this happening again? This is the second groping incident of the year on here".

No, I'm pretty sure I saw him in the next week preview. It showed five of them walking over a hill, and I'm pretty sure I saw Mike howling like a wolf with all the others at the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OH suggested last night that some of the more "physical" men, like Mike and Paul, probably have quite a high calorie requirement in their normal life, maybe more like 4000 calories per day. People who don't do a lot of physical stuff can get by easily on around 1200-1500 calories for normal life, and 800 calories for a while if they have to. So the strong guys would actually suffer first because their bodies aren't used to the calorie deprivation, whereas the women and JP would be better off. It also depends on their weight before they went in, and their fat to muscle ratio.

It's been an interesting experiment that hasn't really worked. I imagine that in the actual Stone Age, for a start, people were used to the "feast and famine" situation, i.e. they'd gorge on food when it was available and last for several weeks on berries etc. when it wasn't. Modern people have become grazers, because food is always available. Also, the participants didn't seem to think much about conserving energy - it would have made much more sense (as Paul eventually did, but got kicked out before he could test it) to stake out the animal trails and sit there, safely up a tree with your bow and arrows, for them to arrive. And Mel, who seems to have become the unelected leader, should have had a rota for fire duty as soon as she realised that people weren't going to volunteer. Climate also makes a difference - being abandoned on a desert island would probably be a much pleasanter experience!

Yes your other half is right.
    Reading about this myself it says that big muscly guys were usually the first to starve to death. They died because their metabolism requires them to consume more calories simply to maintain muscle mass.
    You only see bodybuilders appear in the 20th century onwards and in the modern day, because bodybuilders in times like 10,000 BC simply wouldn't survive in times of famine and lack of food.
    Muscle burns calories so fast that if all your calorific requirements are targeted at repairing and maintaining muscle mass, less nutrients are available for the other major organs of the body.
    Now that we live in 21st century times where we can afford to buy food relatively cheaply so we don't tend to have that problem anymore.
    Bodybuilding and training to put on lots of muscle mass is more of a modern phenomenon with the general public. It's something which the public hundreds of years ago simply wouldn't be able to do. I suppose it's a kind of modern luxury that we can actually do that kind of thing now if you think about it.

I wouldn't say that the experiment hasn't worked. An experiment is just an experiment which should have no predetermined outcome. It's just a measure of testing something. So even if the group couldn't really succeed in a 10,000 BC setting, it doesn't mean that the experiment failed at all. It's just that the experiment, if you want to call it that, came up with a result which demonstrated how difficult it is for a 21st century human to live in those conditions.
    They may not have been successful as a group, but that doesn't mean that the experiment has failed. The experiment's only objective is to try it and see.