My computer keeps shutting down

c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
Forum Member
Hello everyone and a happy new year.

I recently got a computer of my sister and it keeps shuutting down.
It happens mostly when I'm installing something.
Thanks and I'll be grateful of your help.

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What operating system is it running and what are programs are you trying to install when it shuts down? Does it display any error messages or beep before it shuts and is it well ventilated?
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    What operating system is it running and what are programs are you trying to install when it shuts down? Does it display any error messages or beep before it shuts and is it well ventilated?

The operating system is Windows XP and I was installing an updated version of Itunes for my Ipod. The computer also shuts down when I'm ripping music of a CD or installing Windows Media Player or on the internet.
    No it doesn't display a error message and yes it does beep before it shuts down and also it take ages to to turn it back on.

Yes it is well ventilated.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    c0bo wrote: »
    The operating system is Windows XP and I was installing an updated version of Itunes for my Ipod. The computer also shuts down when I'm ripping music of a CD or installing Windows Media Player or on the internet.
    No it doesn't display a error message and yes it does beep before it shuts down and also it take ages to to turn it back on.

Yes it is well ventilated.

Check event viewer. Start and search and may display why turns off. Sounds like hardware problem to me. may to early to judge.

What full specs of PC make and model would be useful.
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Check event viewer. Start and search and may display why turns off. Sounds like hardware problem to me. may to early to judge.

What full specs of PC make and model would be useful.

Sorry but I'm going to sound stupid but how do I find out the full specs of a computer?
    And sadly I don't know the make of my computer.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I'm going to sound stupid but how do I find out the full specs of a computer?
    And sadly I don't know the make of my computer.

IF you go in system information should be there. Go to start and search system information press enter it should load. IF the windows xp was OEM and installed by the manufacture then should say the model of the PC too. I would also contact who ever the PC was bought off.
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    IF you go in system information should be there. Go to start and search system information press enter it should load. IF the windows xp was OEM and installed by the manufacture then should say the model of the PC too. I would also contact who ever the PC was bought off.

Thanks,
    I think I found it:

System
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service pack 2.

Computer
    Intel (R)
    Celeron (R) CPU 2.40GHz
    2.42 GHz, 248 MB of RAM

I hope that helps.
    I did contact the person who I bought computer of and they said that it has never broken down on them.
  • radioman2radioman2 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things you may want to try.Firstly there's not much memory installed,trying to run ITunes and similar software with insufficient memory will mean it's very sluggish when you ask it to do anything other than the very basic stuff,I'd increase the memory to at least 512mb or better still 1 GB which should improve things.Secondly you MUST run the Windows Update service and install Service Pack 3 since your P.C is currently vulnerable to heaps of things that hackers have developed since Service Pack 2 was released.Many software updates for the likes of ITunes will probably insist on Service Pack 3 being installed before you can even start updating their software.Here's hoping that the version of Windows that's installed isn't dodgy,if it is then your P.C would fail the Windows Genuine advantage test and updates wouldn't be available until it passes the validation test.

Thanks,
    I think I found it:

System

Computer
    Intel (R)
    Celeron (R) CPU 2.40GHz
    2.42 GHz, 248 MB of RAM

I hope that helps.
    I did contact the person who I bought computer of and they said that it has never broken down on them.
    Forum Member
    radioman2 wrote: »
    Two things you may want to try.Firstly there's not much memory installed,trying to run ITunes and similar software with insufficient memory will mean it's very sluggish when you ask it to do anything other than the very basic stuff,I'd increase the memory to at least 512mb or better still 1 GB which should improve things.Secondly you MUST run the Windows Update service and install Service Pack 3 since your P.C is currently vulnerable to heaps of things that hackers have developed since Service Pack 2 was released.Many software updates for the likes of ITunes will probably insist on Service Pack 3 being installed before you can even start updating their software.Here's hoping that the version of Windows that's installed isn't dodgy,if it is then your P.C would fail the Windows Genuine advantage test and updates wouldn't be available until it passes the validation test.
    Thanks.
    So your saying that if I get Service Pack 3 that should stop the computer from shutting down.
    And with any luck I should get Pack 3 without the computer shutting down on me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that you should install all available updates anyway to secure your P.C but some updates may help you when it comes to downloading ITunes' latest version.Another thing worth considering is removing the side of the computer's case and then removing the dust that's probably lurking inside,whilst you're at it check that the fan that's sitting atop of the processor is running properly and if you're happy to do so also check that the heatsink and fan aren't clogged with dust.A build up of dust will degrade the cooling abilities of the heatsink and fan possibly causing the processor to overheat.I usually check mine every six months but that's mainly due to the presence of 5 cats in the house and their fur seems to get drawn in by the PSU fan.

Thanks.
    So your saying that if I get Service Pack 3 that should stop the computer from shutting down.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks,
    I think I found it:

System

Computer
    Intel (R)
    Celeron (R) CPU 2.40GHz
    2.42 GHz, 248 MB of RAM

I hope that helps.

My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets when I saw how much ram you had in it. 250MB of RAM :eek: I remember back in 2004, my HDD used to thrash like mad before I installed 2GB in it.
    Forum Member
    I'd say that you should install all available updates anyway to secure your P.C but some updates may help you when it comes to downloading ITunes' latest version.Another thing worth considering is removing the side of the computer's case and then removing the dust that's probably lurking inside,whilst you're at it check that the fan that's sitting atop of the processor is running properly and if you're happy to do so also check that the heatsink and fan aren't clogged with dust.A build up of dust will degrade the cooling abilities of the heatsink and fan possibly causing the processor to overheat.I usually check mine every six months but that's mainly due to the presence of 5 cats in the house and their fur seems to get drawn in by the PSU fan.

Oh right I see.

A few questions:

How do I remove the side of a computer?
    What does the heatsink look like?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right I see.

A few questions:

How do I remove the side of a computer?
    What does the heatsink look like?

The side panel of the tower should screw off. Some screws at the back of the panel. The heat sink is the bottom of the fan.

http://www.3cvillage.com/cayman/images/heatsink-cm-sock-a-a.jpg

I'd also advise you not to go removing anything. No offense, but it seems as if you don't know anything about computers.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    The side panel of the tower should screw off. Some screws at the back of the panel. The heat sink is the bottom of the fan.

http://www.3cvillage.com/cayman/images/heatsink-cm-sock-a-a.jpg

I'd also advise you not to go removing anything. No offense, but it seems as if you don't know anything about computers.
    Your right I don't know anything about computers. :(
    So what do I do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

I would agree i would not attempt opening up the case if i was you OP if you have a dell machine run the hardware diagnostics as seems it may be hardware related with it shutting down maybe overheating has the case been hot to the touch or psu related. If the ram was 248mb then your computer would be unlikely to run if you have an decent antivirus and firewall installed and running as it would take 256mb or more to run more than you supposedly have.
    My advice would be take it to a local computer repair shop and they will diagnose it for a small charge.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Does the computer actually shut down or restart itself?

Is there a brand name (Dell, Packard Bell, etc.) on the case or sticker? And is there a Windows XP serial code stuck to the back or side of the case?
    Forum Member
    I would agree i would not attempt opening up the case if i was you OP if you have a dell machine run the hardware diagnostics as seems it may be hardware related with it shutting down maybe overheating has the case been hot to the touch or psu related. If the ram was 248mb then your computer would be unlikely to run if you have an decent antivirus and firewall installed and running as it would take 256mb or more to run more than you supposedly have.
    My advice would be take it to a local computer repair shop and they will diagnose it for a small charge.
    Thanks I'll take your advice about visiting a local computer repair shop.
    Sometimes I just wish that I knew how a computers works. :(
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    Does the computer actually shut down or restart itself?

Is there a brand name (Dell, Packard Bell, etc.) on the case or sticker? And is there a Windows XP serial code stuck to the back or side of the case?

The computer just literally shuts down.
    Their is no brand name on the case and their is no serial code stuck on the side or the back of the case.
    Forum Member
    The computer just literally shuts down.
    Their is no brand name on the case and their is no serial code stuck on the side or the back of the case.

This means it's a dodgy copy of XP and more likely a hardware problem. To be honest, you're probably better off picking up a refurbished PC online, usually around £80 or less. These will come with a small warranty and genuine XP. Even if you pay someone to fix this, you'll still need more RAM, XP will still be dodgy and a second-hand computer really should be wiped and reinstalled before using it anyway.
  • The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member

Before continuing this discussion your should install SP3 and all important updates through Windows Update before continuing with the troubleshooting. There is no guarantee that that will fix your problems, it likely on its own won't, but it is important that you put your system to it most up to date configuration before continuing.

Dave
    Forum Member
    This means it's a dodgy copy of XP and more likely a hardware problem. To be honest, you're probably better off picking up a refurbished PC online, usually around £80 or less. These will come with a small warranty and genuine XP. Even if you pay someone to fix this, you'll still need more RAM, XP will still be dodgy and a second-hand computer really should be wiped and reinstalled before using it anyway.

Well after looking at it again I did see a sticker say "Intel inside Celeron" at the front and their is sticker with a code on it.
    Forum Member
    Well after looking at it again I did see a sticker say "Intel inside Celeron" at the front and their is sticker with a code on it.

Unless the sticker looks like this, it's a pirated copy of XP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lack of licence key sticker doesn't always mean it's a pirate copy.My earlier suggestion of running the Windows update tool would usually include the routine that kicks off the Genuine Advantage tool.If it passes that then I'd carry on using the installed version of XP,Clearly if there's a problem with the installation of windows then you might have problems if you haven't got the Windows installation disc.

Forum Member
    A lack of licence key sticker doesn't always mean it's a pirate copy.My earlier suggestion of running the Windows update tool would usually include the routine that kicks off the Genuine Advantage tool.If it passes that then I'd carry on using the installed version of XP,Clearly if there's a problem with the installation of windows then you might have problems if you haven't got the Windows installation disc.

A second-hand, unbranded PC, running XP Pro with no COA. What are the chances of it being genuine?

The problem with using the installed version of XP is that no one knows exactly what condition it's in or if it's full of malware and the previous owner's (maybe dubious) files and internet history. A clean install is always recommended with used PCs, but as you note, this is going to be difficult for an inexperienced user with no XP disk. Add the fact it's shutting itself down, doesn't have enough RAM, almost certainly has a dodgy XP and the better option would be to buy a properly refurbished machine rather than pay someone to try and fix this one.
    Forum Member
    What about this http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t40/Cobon/Video200m03s.jpg?
    Forum Member

Yes, that's an XP serial. Although it looks ripped and you can no longer read the key, you can use Magic Jelly Bean to reveal it. Make a note of the key, as you will need it if you reinstall XP.