The bl***y rumba

I say this every year!
Get rid of this dance from Strictly...... its boring boring boring, It may look good done by the Pros but Celebs struggle and cringe having to do it (also the celebs are a varied age group and older men and women just look totally embarrassed).... its not entertaining to watch. There are other dances they could use instead of this one surely :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    terrie1957 wrote: »
    I say this every year!
    Get rid of this dance from Strictly...... its boring boring boring, It may look good done by the Pros but Celebs struggle and cringe having to do it (also the celebs are a varied age group and older men and women just look totally embarrassed).... its not entertaining to watch. There are other dances they could use instead of this one surely :(

Its true, there are people who've done well but overall the only person to do a really good rumba is Rachel Stevens.

I think they keep it in so they can give it to whoever they want to slate that week
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only Rumba in all the series I have enjoyed is Kara and Artems pink Rumba .It was sublime .Then again it wasnt awkward and that showed .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only Rumba in all the series I have enjoyed is Kara and Artems pink Rumba .It was sublime .Then again it wasnt awkward and that showed .

I think the fact that they were romantically involved helped though. It is very hard for two people to do such a sexy dance when they know their other halves and children are watching! I know Jason should be used to it as an actor. I actually thought he did very well. I think the marks were very unfair.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's often a disaarrster for male celebs....let's face it with the increased numbers of contestants over the years they've added other dances...so ditching it would be no loss.

If we can have the Charlston...why not the Can Can or the Hokey Cokey :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Agree with the OP - does anyone know who decides what dance each couple does each week?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never really got the inherent hate for the rumba as a dance. It's one of the 5 standard competition latin dances, it's lovely to learn and perform, and it makes you really focus on your technique because of its speed.

I see why people don't like it on Strictly though - it's all the emphasis on it being "sexy" and "dirty" and goodness knows what. If you want awkwardly simulated copulation on a dancefloor, just watch Lisa Snowdon's showdance - it's really not the point of rumba!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of the 5 standard competition latin dances,
    Which is precisely why it should still have a place on Strictly.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I think the fact that they were romantically involved helped though. It is very hard for two people to do such a sexy dance when they know their other halves and children are watching! I know Jason should be used to it as an actor. I actually thought he did very well. I think the marks were very unfair.

I'm not aJason fan, but I loved their rumba , I loved the choreography.:)
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never really got the inherent hate for the rumba as a dance. It's one of the 5 standard competition latin dances, it's lovely to learn and perform, and it makes you really focus on your technique because of its speed.

I see why people don't like it on Strictly though - it's all the emphasis on it being "sexy" and "dirty" and goodness knows what. If you want awkwardly simulated copulation on a dancefloor, just watch Lisa Snowdon's showdance - it's really not the point of rumba!

It might be lovely to learn and perform but, on Strictly at least, it is awful to watch. And for most of us non-dance people Strictly is our only dance experience of the year.

I thought Jason did well last night and I voted for him twice in defiance of the rubbish marking.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Way the best male rumba by a celeb ever is Colin Jackson's with Erin. Romantic and subtle, and beautifully danced by Colin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    It might be lovely to learn and perform but, on Strictly at least, it is awful to watch. And for most of us non-dance people Strictly is our only dance experience of the year.

I thought Jason did well last night and I voted for him twice in defiance of the rubbish marking.

I agree, on Strictly, the rumba is its own beast really. Kind of a caricature of itself (like Anton :p)

I haven't watched Jason's dance yet, but it seems to have polarised opinion. In any case, I retain no hope of the judges marking in anything resembling a logical manner anymore...
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, on Strictly, the rumba is its own beast really. Kind of a caricature of itself (like Anton :p)

I haven't watched Jason's dance yet, but it seems to have polarised opinion. In any case, I retain no hope of the judges marking in anything resembling a logical manner anymore...

I actually didn't mind Jason's rumba. Or at least I didn't cringe when I saw it the way I often do. It wasn't a sexy/lustful offering like others we have had. I thought it was restrained. And Kristina looked beautiful. Her dress was the best of the night for me.

If you have time let us know what you thought of it once you have had a chance to watch. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    The only time Jason looked like he was really doing anything his mincing so camp I thought he was going to take off to Glastonbury.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Way the best male rumba by a celeb ever is Colin Jackson's with Erin. Romantic and subtle, and beautifully danced by Colin.
    Too true :) Colin and Erin proved that you don't have to be romantically linked to dance a beautiful rumba. Can we stop excusing bad performances :yawn:
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women seemed better suited to it, well celeb wise. Cherie Lunghi's was brilliant until they kept repeating it over and over and over and over again.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »

Can we add the rumba of Gethin Jones and Camilla to that. ;)

When the rumba is done well it is a lovely dance, however to get the hip movement and straight leg combo is quite difficult, unless it is a natural movement of the celeb.

As for Jason's rumba last night, as his moves were basically a slow stroll on the dance floor, all eyes were on Kristina, who twizzled and turned enough to hide Jason's non-rumba moves. Even at the start of the dance as they walked towards each other, Jason had absolutely no hip movement whatsoever.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say this every year!

I agree. If it's done really well, I always get the impression that we shouldn't really be watching.."get a room" springs to mind. :D
  • CoronisCoronis Posts: 24,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason's rumba made me laugh at points; there was a move he did and he broke out into a huge grin I imagined him shouting BONZA! in his head. :p:D The rumba may be standard latin but that doesn't make it any more enjoyable, bores the t*** off me, only a handful of people have managed to score and dance it well. I usually feel sorry for the celeb trying to pull inlove faces and stroke his partner with all the tenderness of a lover. *caught between laughter and tears*. Unfortunately everytime I see mention of Gethin's rumba I see this:
    http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/12_02/GJdancingDM1512_468x438.jpg

ETA: However, from what Sid and peeve have said it has to stay in. If nothing else you get the sublime and the godawful. Carol V's rumba anyone? :D
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say this every year!

Isn't that all the more reason to keep it in? Difficult dances expose people's weaknesses and help differentiate between the good and the really good.

We've already got props and stairs to hide behind, let's not make it even easier by removing dances that are considered challenging.
  • peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said elsewhere that I'm a founder member of the 'I Can't Stand The Rumba' club, but even I wouldn't like to see it dropped from the show:

* It is a standard Latin dance so has its place in the line-up, as it were.
    * It separates the men from the boys, dance-wise.
    * I like a good laugh as much as the next person, so the agonised rooomba faces are often a joy (Vorderumba and Camilla with Gethin are prime examples, which just goes to show that the pros can make us laugh as much as the celebs).
    * Sometimes, even bad dancers can turn in a reasonable rumba (Chris Hollins is an excellent example)
    * Without the inclusion of the rumba, I wouldn't have had the sheer pleasure of seeing Kara and Artem's rumba last year, which is my favourite Strictly dance EVAH (and, believe me, as a rumba-hatah, I am embarrassed to admit this).

I just wish the judges would stop banging on about 'the dance of lurve' and expecting the dancers to simulate sex before the water-shed. Not necessary, but all of a piece with their 'Janet & John Do Ballroom Dancing' way of explaining what the dance should express (Charleston = gurning; Argentine Tango = sweaty gauchos, to give just two examples that make me want to throw things at the telly).

Edit: Ooh, just noticed that was my 2,500th post - which is still only about 10% of Sid's total. :D
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I sign up to the get rid of the Rumba brigade.....beautiful when done by the pros ....the Rumba done by Vincent and Flavia on their Midnight Tango tour reduced me to a blubbering wreck...but on Strictly the celeb ones are mostly horrible to behold.
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Isn't that all the more reason to keep it in? Difficult dances expose people's weaknesses and help differentiate between the good and the really good.

We've already got props and stairs to hide behind, let's not make it even easier by removing dances that are considered challenging.

I hate the Rhumba, its boring and needs to be danced well to be enjoyable, the pros naturally do it well but tbh not many of the celebs ever have.
    I do take your point with regard to it being a challenge though, so maybe it should stay............what I do think would be fair though is for more than one couple to be doing it on the same night, I always feel for the couple given this dance and moreso the males, being the most challenging and exposing of dances its possible that a good dancer could leave because of low judging scores on just this one dance while all the others are getting higher scores for the easier options............thats my only problem with it really.

Hi Sid btw:) I knew i would bump into you on here:)
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member
    Coronis wrote: »
    Jason's rumba made me laugh at points; there was a move he did and he broke out into a huge grin I imagined him shouting BONZA! in his head. :p:D The rumba may be standard latin but that doesn't make it any more enjoyable, bores the t*** off me, only a handful of people have managed to score and dance it well. I usually feel sorry for the celeb trying to pull inlove faces and stroke his partner with all the tenderness of a lover. *caught between laughter and tears*. Unfortunately everytime I see mention of Gethin's rumba I see this:
    http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/12_02/GJdancingDM1512_468x438.jpg

ETA: However, from what Sid and peeve have said it has to stay in. If nothing else you get the sublime and the godawful. Carol V's rumba anyone? :D

:eek::eek::eek::D

As for that pic of Gethin, you are concentrating on Camilla's face I suspect, as Gethin looks quite handsome there;) ...... he's obviously not doing it for Ms Dallerup though at that point!! :D
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peeve wrote: »
    Edit: Ooh, just noticed that was my 2,500th post - which is still only about 10% of Sid's total. :D

That's what being a Big Brother addict does for you :D I'm cured now though, I no longer watch!

Congratulations on reaching 2,500 peeve :)
    Pices-55 wrote: »
    I hate the Rhumba, its boring and needs to be danced well to be enjoyable, the pros naturally do it well but tbh not many of the celebs ever have.
    I do take your point with regard to it being a challenge though, so maybe it should stay............what I do think would be fair though is for more than one couple to be doing it on the same night, I always feel for the couple given this dance and moreso the males, being the most challenging and exposing of dances its possible that a good dancer could leave because of low judging scores on just this one dance while all the others are getting higher scores for the easier options............thats my only problem with it really.

Hi Sid btw:) I knew i would bump into you on here:)

Hey you :) Have you been cured of your BB bug yet?!

I agree entirely that more than one couple should perform the Rhumba on any given night so that it's a level playing field. Jason drew the short straw last night. Felt really sorry for him.
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    That's what being a Big Brother addict does for you :D I'm cured now though, I no longer watch!

Congratulations on reaching 2,500 peeve :)

Hey you :) Have you been cured of your BB bug yet?!

I agree entirely that more than one couple should perform the Rhumba on any given night so that it's a level playing field. Jason drew the short straw last night. Felt really sorry for him.

Not quite but almost:D missed you there this year but happy that you have kicked a rather nasty habit.:D maybe there is something I can take for my affliction:)