Deal Or No Deal - Fans Noticing The Decline

Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is a thread for all the fans of Deal Or No Deal from over the past 7 years who are growing restless with the direction the programme is taking and are starting to lose interest and drift away for various reasons. Say your piece here on the show and the tedious way it has now evolved. We all know the main points that we do not like, such as the length of it, the lack of a break in part of the year, the incessant sob stories and weeping players, the timewasting, in-appropriate comments etc etc. I could go on.

This isn't for people that hate Deal Or No Deal to complain about. It is for those who are, or were fans and have turned away from it recently, or feel like they are enduring it and may turn away very soon.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been a avid watcher of DOND for several series after being persuaded to watch by the old regulars on this thread.
    There were several posters who would interact with each other making it just like one big family. We Had a friendly atmosphere with lots of banter.:):)
    DOND was great in the early days but it has become the most boring of all shows now.
    The extension to 1 hour (incl ads) was a big mistake. Noel has become unbearable, the Banker changes the rules in each show. Even the contestants now dint seem to want to win a large amount.:(:(

I would like to see the show go back to the original t, as we saw on Challenge not long ago, but I cant see it ever happening.:(

Trouble is quizzes like Pointless and The Chase are much more entertaining now.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the problem is we are struggling to relate to the contestants now with all the sob stories.
  • katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its on life support.Put it out of its misery for gods sake
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    This is a thread for all the fans of Deal Or No Deal from over the past 7 years

There is the problem.
  • OndineOndine Posts: 3,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was an avid fan at the beginning. Looked forward to every episode. Now I record it and fast forward to about 10 minutes from the end just to see the outcome. An hour to open 22 boxes is sheer madness. On the few occasions I see it live, I mute the sound and just keep an eye out from my keyboard!
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are the things that are currently annoying me in DOND:
    1. Sob stories. We don't care so shut up! :mad:
    2. Noel engaging in IDLE chit-chat with other players and just wasting time.
    3. Banker ringing for no reason whatsoever at unimportant points in the game.
    4. Players giving the same shit advice like "£x is a lot of money", "take out the smallest / biggest values and the offer will be higher / lower" or "what would £x do for you?"
    5. Banker ringing when the player asks for the question.
    6. Noel's stupid bloody WAFFLING when the player has picked their box! :mad:
    7. Noel or the Banker stating the bleeding obvious.
    8. Mind games.
    9. Throwing out people for no reason.
    10. Stupid players who ask others what colour they had in their box last time. IT DOESN'T MATTER!
    11. Noel telling the player to choose the next box 'wisely'. IT'S CALLED RANDOM! :mad:
    12. Noel talking about cars... :yawn:
    13. "Open box X... *unnecessary pause* AFTER THE BREAK." HATE THIS!! :mad:
    14. Influence from family members in the audience.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are the things that are currently annoying me in DOND:
    1. Sob stories. We don't care so shut up! :mad:
    2. Noel engaging in IDLE chit-chat with other players and just wasting time.
    3. Banker ringing for no reason whatsoever at unimportant points in the game.
    4. Players giving the same shit advice like "£x is a lot of money", "take out the smallest / biggest values and the offer will be higher / lower" or "what would £x do for you?"
    5. Banker ringing when the player asks for the question.
    6. Noel's stupid bloody WAFFLING when the player has picked their box! :mad:
    7. Noel or the Banker stating the bleeding obvious.
    8. Mind games.
    9. Throwing out people for no reason.
    10. Stupid players who ask others what colour they had in their box last time. IT DOESN'T MATTER!
    11. Noel telling the player to choose the next box 'wisely'. IT'S CALLED RANDOM! :mad:
    12. Noel talking about cars... :yawn:
    13. "Open box X... *unnecessary pause* AFTER THE BREAK." HATE THIS!! :mad:
    14. Influence from family members in the audience.

Quite a lot of this is very well said. I started this thread with you and others like you, and me in mind, having read your feisty comments on the other game playing thread. Nobody seems to interact on that thread with comments about the show each day, so this now seems the best place to let off steam. I don't have an issue with the mind games part of things, because a large part of this game is in the mind, rather than in the boxes.
    Yesterdays game was certainly influenced overwhelmingly by a very negative set of players in the wings towards the older woman playing, who dealt quite low. As I said on the other thread, the wings often patronise older players into trying to deal early. The never ending spouting of the mind numbingly obvious by box openers is getting increasingly tedious, as are the overdone gushing platitudes to the person playing that days game. Every day someone says "you are a wonderful person, it's been a pleasure to meet you" or words to that effect. Give it a break! In yesterdays game, one of the guys in the wings was about to open a box without saying a word to the player, which would have been a refreshing change, but Noel stepped in immediately and castigated him for not saying anything! As for the throwing out the studio, it baffles. More than ever Noel is doing some of the bankers bidding for him in my view, and relishes with glee forwarding the nastier side of the calls to an un-necessary degree. Looking back at some of the earlier shows on Challenge recently was a revelation, and it was the style of those shows back in 2005 to 2007 that made it a hit with people, and not the style in 2012 that it has decended into.
  • SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with everything that's already been said :( It really started to go downhill (or perhaps I should say plummeted) when it went to an hour long - it doesn't need all that waffling and mucking about at all. There's also far too much of the "what should I do ?" now - if you can't make a decision, perhaps you shouldn't be on the show. And as for stating the bl***dy obvious all the time - we could do without all that as well :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithman wrote: »
    Have to agree with everything that's already been said :( It really started to go downhill (or perhaps I should say plummeted) when it went to an hour long - it doesn't need all that waffling and mucking about at all. There's also far too much of the "what should I do ?" now - if you can't make a decision, perhaps you shouldn't be on the show. And as for stating the bl***dy obvious all the time - we could do without all that as well :D

Regarding the "What should I do?" question, one thing often puzzles me about players, and it is that so many of them seem to invest more importance in what a group of strangers that they barely know think, rather than their own family, partners,brothers or parents up among the pilgrims/audience. After all, it's your own family that is likely to know your personal financial set up and how a certain amount of money fits into your life, rather than people you've just met. Without seeming un-gracious, the opinions of those fellow players in the wings simply would not matter a jot to me. Yet time and again it appears that they do exert influence.

Another thing. Why do the pilgrims have to all be wearing black? In the original first shows they weren't. How did that happen?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Another thing. Why do the pilgrims have to all be wearing black? In the original first shows they weren't. How did that happen?

Perhaps to blend in better as the studio lights aren't on them?

My Dad used to love Deal or No Deal. I remember when it first started, everyone was talking about it, it was the new big thing, we used to watch it quite regularly, now if it's on when Dad's flicking through the channels you get a glimpse of some silly theme they're playing out, like dressing up for Easter, Christmas, Halloween, even Summer! Have they done a winter wonderland yet? :rolleyes:

Got quite boring, all the sob stories, the holding hands in the wings, me and my Mum used to joke that they were in a cult, and the Banker was the leader with Noel as his lackey, from what I've read above, it seems like we weren't far off..:p
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch it every day without fail- mainly sky plussed cos I was at work but never missed an episode for years. The thing that killed it for me was the move to an hour long, but especially the sob stories. There were very few characters like we had in the earlier days- thinking of Orry, Mary, Claude, Clive the farmer and even Bunny (I adored him!). Now it seems to be full of chartered surveyors or building society managers from some ultra beige town and they have the personalities to match. The thread kept me watching it for several months believe it or not but then I went on holiday and had no motivation to watch it again.

I feel sad about that.
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    . II "watch" everyday, to say watch is a bit misleading ...What I do is watch the beginning to size up the player then switch over to something else if they are boring with the sob stuff, then I switch back at about 4.50 to see how it has ended up.

I agree with all the points already raised. But the sob stuff does my head in , i love the quirky ,of the wall players who have a bit of a laugh, mostly at their own expense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    All I'll be doing is repeating what's already been said, the sob stories, false drama, looking for hidden meaning in what is the random act of opening boxes...

Personally, it's dead to me because the lack of a break from it. Ever. Millionaire in it's pomp used to be on for 10 days then take a couple of months break - the art of leaving them wanting more.

As it stands with DOND, take it out the back of the barn with a shotgun and do what needs to be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, it's dead to me because the lack of a break from it. Ever.
    This is one of the big issues this year with Deal Or No Deal. However much an audience likes something, it needs a break from it. A huge mistake in my opinion. 6 days a week for 52 weeks a year is total overkill. So why don't they realise it? Killing the golden goose springs to mind.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show has become an absolute joke now. Dealing at £5k with £100,000 still there?! :mad:
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noel talking players into going early an the giving the stick after they could have won a lot more. He is not even subtle.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six days a week all year round, stupid fancy dress weeks, contestants who are more suited to an MTV reality show than a game of chance, it's time Noel moved on. He is better than this and it could be all he's remembered for if DOND continues.
  • lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I always change channels when they've got some stupid dressing up thing.
  • BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    This show has become an absolute joke now. Dealing at £5k with £100,000 still there?! :mad:

Bloody served him right!
  • Old BeanOld Bean Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    The show was absolutely unmissable in its early days. Seriously gripping television for those who remember developing an interest in it back in 2006. It took me only a few shows to go from casually watching it from the background to rushing home to see it.

And I NEVER missed an episode if I could help it, ever, for nearly two years. I lost interest a while ago as it happens, about late 2007/early 2008, and only started watching regularly again earlier this year.

But without wishing to repeat all that's been said, I'll just say that I agree with everything that's been posted so far, but especially the comments in relation to it being a purely random show. I cannot STAND contestants who base their decisions on 'who had £x yesterday'... it makes no difference whatsoever.

I'm reminded of one young lady from a few months back who, with 1p, £50,000 and £250,000 on the board, was asking the remaining contestants on the wings who still had to open a box that stupid question, 'what did you have in your box yesterday'... her original pick told her it was the £250,000 that she had the day before, so she avoided her (you're thinking - '????'... exactly) and went for her *lucky number* insead, because of some ridiculous ''big amount yesterday surely another today'' logic... and yep, you guessed it, eliminated the £250,000 from her lucky box (which also means nothing, it was just coincidence on that day)

She took home 1p at the end, with the £50,000 residing in the box she went for originally and that stupid box logic she applied cost her an offer of about £90,000.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The players are dreadful. I mean really where do they find these people?! Out of the thousands upon thousands that apply, and this is the best they come up with ? It's bizarre.

Personally I would like to see some more live shows. They were very entertaining, does anyone know if there will be anymore ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As has been said, the boxes do not have a memory. There has been a player in the wings who once had the quarter million on four consecutive days.

It really is not the shows fault if the old guy Stan went out at £5,000. That's his choice. But at the moment there are some surprisingly cautious people playing the game, and negative people like Carl who has always got something to say from the edge are very annoying.

Once again today we got some pointless chat about pink poodles which brought nothing to the game in hand.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reduce it to one show a week and see how that works.
  • jamesy1jamesy1 Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    This is one of the big issues this year with Deal Or No Deal. However much an audience likes something, it needs a break from it. A huge mistake in my opinion. 6 days a week for 52 weeks a year is total overkill. So why don't they realise it? Killing the golden goose springs to mind.

I wonder if the ratings have been affected by this at all?
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like DOND and would watch it - it wasn't a must see though, was on at the wrong time of day for it to be unmissable as I would either be coming home from work or making dinner or something but would catch it if I could.

I haven't watched it properly in a year or so. Only time I have is when I have heard about a big win and then I will just go on youtube or 4OD and watch the end on there.

I can't be doing with a lot of what has already been said, especially the sob stories and, while I do like Noel, his preaching about the games really has started to et boring. As has the early deals.

As said, C4 can't help the early deals but maybe they could shake the show up and do what they do in the US and end the game after the player has dealt. Once they have dealt, just find out what they had in their box and then move onto the next player. Obviously that would mean they would have to roll games over into more that one episode when they run out of time but it would be much better than watching the pointless "play on as you would have" sequence.

That's one idea anyway. Without some major shake up on the format though, I doubt I will ever be a regular viewer again.