Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Phobias frequently have their genesis in a traumatic incident that occurs in childhood or an earlier episode of experience. The snake that one finds under a rock...the black widow spider that lives in your gutter as a child. Having your period into white shorts as a teenager....tackling the phobia is of major importance in moving Martin on..without it he cannot advance...and he cannot give of himself to Louisa....dealing with it will be of utmost importance...until that happens he is stuck

Yes, but they can deal with it in one or two episodes and not drag out a whole season on it. I for one would hate seeing eight episodes devoted to DM dealing with his past.
    I'd like some psychology mixed with humor, some acceptance mixed with fun, some moving on mixed with intimacy. Enough with the deep dark need to delve intensely into his past for whole seasons.

DM overcame his phobia before and I don't think it has to be a big deal for him to realize his childhood was crap, and he was unhappy the and even as a surgeon in London, and now he can be happy if he chooses to be. After all, it is TV. For a show that has windows under stairwells, characters could be able to heal up emotionally rather well. At least I hope so!
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Yes, but they can deal with it in one or two episodes and not drag out a whole season on it. I for one would hate seeing eight episodes devoted to DM dealing with his past.
    I'd like some psychology mixed with humor, some acceptance mixed with fun, some moving on mixed with intimacy. Enough with the deep dark need to delve intensely into his past for whole seasons.

DM overcame his phobia before and I don't think it has to be a big deal for him to realize his childhood was crap, and he was unhappy the and even as a surgeon in London, and now he can be happy if he chooses to be. After all, it is TV. For a show that has windows under stairwells, characters could be able to heal up emotionally rather well. At least I hope so!

I think they will move it along...8 episodes of that would be a drag, and I think they know it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    Fab to see Martin and a number of Cluneatics on The One Show tonight!
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My American friend who is staying with me at the moment, almost fell off her chair when she saw "The Cluneactics"! Her comment: "Don't you just love the crazy Yanks!!!!"
  • carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    but no one video'd themselves w/ their Doc Martin bobblehead!
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Even more fab to see Brendan's Girl and Kaycee back. Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was the brown haired woman with the blue eyes in a white blouse that said something about Peter Cronks jugular stick. Fun. I don't know if I'm a "Clunatic". I would never wear a silly T-shirt or write crappy poetry but I am a fan no doubt. I doubt he'll even recall who was on the video this summer when I go to Buckham Fair but it was nice to get face time anyway. Way hey!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, who is watching MC as Doyle in the Arthur and George show? Thank goodness for Tunnel Bear! I love Tunnel Bear!

I'm enjoying it and MC is doing a good job, I think, although he is looking a bit old. Doyle was 44 in 1903 when this TV movie occurs, but MC looks his near mid-50s.

I enjoy the cinematography which is rich with sienna brown Victorian coloring especially at night, when it is very dark in the world before electricity. It looks like it's taking place in 1903 England, as the scenery and exterior/interior settings seem very realistic.

MC is doing a good Doyle, although his accent is usually his typical English accent with a few Scottish tinted words now and then, when he remembers. ;-)

The mystery is good, (although it is veering, as we'd expect from the book a little), and we do not know if George is innocent or not. I look forward to the third episode and the conclusion.

Mona
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, who is watching MC as Doyle in the Arthur and George show? Thank goodness for Tunnel Bear! I love Tunnel Bear!

I'm enjoying it and MC is doing a good job, I think, although he is looking a bit old. Doyle was 44 in 1903 when this TV movie occurs, but MC looks his near mid-50s.

I enjoy the cinematography which is rich with sienna brown Victorian coloring especially at night, when it is very dark in the world before electricity. It looks like it's taking place in 1903 England, as the scenery and exterior/interior settings seem very realistic.

MC is doing a good Doyle, although his accent is usually his typical English accent with a few Scottish tinted words now and then, when he remembers. ;-)

The mystery is good, (although it is veering, as we'd expect from the book a little), and we do not know if George is innocent or not. I look forward to the third episode and the conclusion.

Mona

I wondered when one of you "Conan Doyle Scholars" would pick up on this. It's been discussed for weeks. I am enjoying it but shall not comment because of fear of lambasting from more knowledgable people. On YouTube there is a film of the actual ACD discussing a couple of different topics and in fact he had a bastardized Scottish accent....almost an English accent with a Scottish brogue.....too many years in England one supposes. When Tunnelbear works, it's incredible. Now that mine is working well I'm changing NOTHING on this iPad. Give it a try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I wondered when one of you "Conan Doyle Scholars" would pick up on this. It's been discussed for weeks. I am enjoying it but shall not comment because of fear of lambasting from more knowledgable people. On YouTube there is a film of the actual ACD discussing a couple of different topics and in fact he had a bastardized Scottish accent....almost an English accent with a Scottish brogue.....too many years in England one supposes. When Tunnelbear works, it's incredible. Now that mine is working well I'm changing NOTHING on this iPad. Give it a try.

Ive seen a few things in which Conan Doyle speaks and he has a pronounced (albeit posh) East Coast scottish accent. MC does not bad and actually has it spot on for some words/phrases but its not consistent as he doesn't keep in accent and reverts too often which is why there has been some criticism of him.

I'm enjoying it as its always good to see him stretching himself and doing something a bit different. I have the feeling they (BP) will do more?? but hoping its not to the detriment of future series' of Doc M :o:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    Ive seen a few things in which Conan Doyle speaks and he has a pronounced (albeit posh) East Coast scottish accent. MC does not bad and actually has it spot on for some words/phrases but its not consistent as he doesn't keep in accent and reverts too often which is why there has been some criticism of him.

I'm enjoying it as its always good to see him stretching himself and doing something a bit different. I have the feeling they (BP) will do more?? but hoping its not to the detriment of future series' of Doc M :o:o

RubyRedi, that's exactly what I've seen. MC does a Scottish accent for a word or two and then goes back to speaking in his essentially English accent. I'm not upset by that. He also looks older than the 44 year old ACD but MC is not 44. Those are very trivial comments, though. Overall, he's really captured ACD for me, otherwise, as I imagine him to be from the 14 or so biographies I've read of him.

I like the idea of them doing more along these lines. Perhaps they could do a story of ACD working in the typhoid camps during the Boer War, or show his commitment to spiritualism. I would definitely watch MC as ACD in other stories of the author's life.

Mona
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seven, yes, count 'em.....7 days until S7 filming starts!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi, that's exactly what I've seen. MC does a Scottish accent for a word or two and then goes back to speaking in his essentially English accent. I'm not upset by that. He also looks older than the 44 year old ACD but MC is not 44. Those are very trivial comments, though. Overall, he's really captured ACD for me, otherwise, as I imagine him to be from the 14 or so biographies I've read of him.

I like the idea of them doing more along these lines. Perhaps they could do a story of ACD working in the typhoid camps during the Boer War, or show his commitment to spiritualism. I would definitely watch MC as ACD in other stories of the author's life.

Mona

Mona, I'm so glad you find it acceptable. Now I feel that I can like it without being a gormless moron. The lighting and makeup definitely made MC look older. Even in real life he doesn't look like that. He's actually looking quite lovely lately. He should look spectacular in S7 of DM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member

Mona

Yes Mona I agree that he has captured the character really well (even given the slight accent malfunction - lol) and would love to see him doing more particularly in relation to ACDs spiritualism fascination/commitment. I didn't really notice the age thing as I always think of ACD as being older than his actual age (not that I think of him often - lol :D)

Speaking of age, have watched Caroline Catz in DCI Banks for the last few weeks and for the first time can see signs of ageing in her. I am a big fan of CC and think she is a beautiful woman and I know we all have to age - just wondering if it may have any bearing on their decision to finish DM given the storyline and the 2yr gap between filming or will they just continue on PortWenn time?? :) x
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member

Mona

Hey Mona, I think you're on to something there! I too would happily watch an ongoing series about ACD, although it would need a new title. How do we pitch the idea to BP? ;-):p:D
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Finally got around to watching MC's appearance on "The One Show" last week. "People like to watch problems being solved. . . ." I devoutly hope that is the framework they are using for DM S7.

And doesn't MC look yummy?! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching MC's appearance on "The One Show" last week. "People like to watch problems being solved. . . ." I devoutly hope that is the framework they are using for DM S7.

And doesn't MC look yummy?! :D:D:D

I thought Martin looked great! Very handsome. I still stand by my opinion that S7 may be the end of DM. They've had a good run and don't want to make, as Martin has said, "A duff one." referring to a less than excellent series. We'll see. I made a video for "The One Show", as I mentioned before. In the last little bit I was the lady with the brownish hair in the white blouse with cacti behind me. I've been nationwide on BBC1! Now that is funny!
  • earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Speaking of age, have watched Caroline Catz in DCI Banks for the last few weeks and for the first time can see signs of ageing in her. I am a big fan of CC and think she is a beautiful woman and I know we all have to age - just wondering if it may have any bearing on their decision to finish DM given the storyline and the 2yr gap between filming or will they just continue on PortWenn time?? :) x

I agree - I think both CC and MC are aging gracefully, but noticeably, especially when we consider that only about 5-6 years have passed in Portwenn time, but more than twice that has passed in real time. Go back and see how young both of them appear in S1 (along with some of the other main characters, such as Al), and the contrast will be significant.

It would seem reasonable that if they continue on past S7 (yes, please!), that they will need to do a substantial "time jump" at some point, either in the middle of S7, or between S7 and S8 in order to realign timelines.
    (We know it won't be before S7 starts, as they have cast JH as a one-year old).

That being said, the actors in the Harry Potter movies successfully bridged the gap between their real ages and the ages of the characters (a gap of approximately 5-6 years, I believe, by the final film). So maybe no time jump will be actually necessary, and BP will rely on The Portwenn Effect to suspend reality a bit more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mona, I'm so glad you find it acceptable. Now I feel that I can like it without being a gormless moron. The lighting and makeup definitely made MC look older. Even in real life he doesn't look like that. He's actually looking quite lovely lately. He should look spectacular in S7 of DM.

I think everyone feels the same way, Mofromco, from comments I've read about his One Show appearance, where everyone is raving about him, as am I. So, yes, it must have been the lighting, make-up or something which apparently aged him when he is really looking so good.

Mona
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Hey Mona, I think you're on to something there! I too would happily watch an ongoing series about ACD, although it would need a new title. How do we pitch the idea to BP? ;-):p:D

We don't have to pitch it to BP, because he and they have already been talking about how they could do more, just not necessarily from Julian Barnes' book.

Have you seen this discussion about it with Philippa and a panel? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncfCeaHWfkY&feature=youtu.be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Mona I agree that he has captured the character really well (even given the slight accent malfunction - lol) and would love to see him doing more particularly in relation to ACDs spiritualism fascination/commitment. I didn't really notice the age thing as I always think of ACD as being older than his actual age (not that I think of him often - lol :D)

Well, I saw the third episode last night and as is common for me watching English TV Movie detective shows, when things start speeding up, and people are talking quickly, and they are jumping from scene to scene, I get completely lost and cannot follow what is going on. That happened with this third episode, too. But, MC was really great as ACD, I thoroughly enjoyed this ending episode, it was very well balanced with plot and action (even if I could not always follow the plot), and MC just did a great job as ACD. I really would love him to continue in that role in some way.

Mona
  • robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    Seven, yes, count 'em.....7 days until S7 filming starts!
    excellent!
    ;-)
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    I finished a mini marathon of the three episodes last night. The lack of a correct Scottish accent for Martin Clunes was lost on me, and I thought Martin Clunes was terrific. I like the Arthur Conan Doyke books, but I am a bigger fan of Julian Barnes. I thought BP did a great job with the book and the production values were good. I hope they have Martin as Conan Doyle in many other stories from his very interesting life

If the caliber of writing is as good in series 7 as in Arthur and George, it will be a treat
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Friday, folks! And on Monday S7 filming of DM begins. Yea!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.