Episode 1 - To Be Shown In Cinemas

f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/doctor-who-series-8-episode-1-to-be-screened-in-cinemas-around-the-world

Who saw that one coming then?

I know Day of The Doctor was a massive success, but wasn't expecting another cinema outing to happen so soon.

Another DW trip to the cinema!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I just read this on Facebook! Ahhh
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read this on Facebook! Ahhh

Me too :D
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit strange that the first episode of a television series is being shown in cinemas...
    but I'm definitely not complaining :D
    Don't know whether I'll go and see it or not. If the only cinema in Northern Ireland where it's being shown is the obscenely overpriced Odeon in Victoria Square like it was last time, then probably not.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit strange that the first episode of a television series is being shown in cinemas...
    but I'm definitely not complaining :D

The only explanation I can come up with is that the show is about to be cancelled :p

I'm sure the Internet will spin this in to a bad thing. Already a complain that cinema screenings should be for anniversaries only....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting, I think this is bold experiment in "event" TV, which is something the BBC is well placed to try. Everyone is shifting towards streaming and online "watch when you want", but there are still a few shows that are worth making into an occasion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lii wrote: »
    Interesting, I think this is bold experiment in "event" TV, which is something the BBC is well placed to try. Everyone is shifting towards streaming and online "watch when you want", but there are still a few shows that are worth making into an occasion.

I'd say it's also a very good way of generating additional income.

I certainly don't object to it. Doctor Who in the cinema with like minded folk is far and away more preferable to sat at home.

Even the kids sit down and behave for the duration!
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    I'd say it's also a very good way of generating additional income.

I certainly don't object to it. Doctor Who in the cinema with like minded folk is far and away more preferable to sat at home.

Even the kids sit down and behave for the duration!

People dressed up as Doctor Who characters and whooping and hollering are not like-minded to me, so I think I will give this 'event' a miss.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    People dressed up as Doctor Who characters and whooping and hollering are not like-minded to me, so I think I will give this 'event' a miss.

Did you go to see Day of the Doctor in the cinema? I can say my experience wasn't anything like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well that's a little presumptious.

I didn't dress up. It's not my thing.

Most others at the screening I went to didn't either, apart from the odd doctor jacket and the odd sonic screwdriver noise from one of the kids before it started.

There was no whooping or hollering either. Just appreciation.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Watch out for possible entrapment by the Happiness Patrol, Tom T. ;-)

If it helps with the 'buzz' and people enjoy themselves, I think it's all good stuff. I, however, will be watching intently at home and 'shushing' any of the fam who cause distractions...like usual, in other words.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see if it gets a PG rating from the bbfc; it must be close to the 12A borderline.
  • LordofGallifreyLordofGallifrey Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    These type of showings are supposed to be 'event' screening, which Day of the Doctor was. I'm not so sure that this falls into that category.

Seems a waste of time as does the world tour, I would rather the money go into more DW.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These type of showings are supposed to be 'event' screening, which Day of the Doctor was. I'm not so sure that this falls into that category.

Seems a waste of time as does the world tour, I would rather the money go into more DW.

Surely if the cinema screenings make a profit that would make more money available to Doctor Who (assuming they don't waste all of the profit elsewhere or the profit ends up in non distributable reserves).
  • LordofGallifreyLordofGallifrey Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    bp2 wrote: »
    Surely if the cinema screenings make a profit that would make more money available to Doctor Who (assuming they don't waste all of the profit elsewhere or the profit ends up in non distributable reserves).

I agree to a point but who wants to pay cinema prices, which will no doubt be more than standard to watch a non-event episode of Doctor Who that you can watch in the comfort of your own home.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Pity it's not in 3D :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

....the money hasn't been taken away from DW and would never be put towards the show. It is organised by BBC Worldwide. As is the tour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    This is a major event -- it's Peter capaldi's debut. I for one won't be going to see Deep Breath in the Cinema... because I've already got tickets to see the world premiere in Saint David's Hall, Cardiff :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    My local are showing it. They said they are showing:

Deep Breath
    Behind the scenes
    Q&A with Capaldi - Pre-Recorded (I assume)
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a poster for this a month ago at my local cinema but nothing since, thought I was going mad!
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Why pay for something you can watch in the comfort of your own home for free ? Yes I know we pay for the licence before anyone pulls me up on that. :)
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Why pay for something you can watch in the comfort of your own home for free ? Yes I know we pay for the licence before anyone pulls me up on that. :)

And the electric :D

But seriously, if it's not on 3D, there's nothing to say that I'll be getting out of bed to watch it in the cinema. Mild coughs and whispers behind me, babies crying, the sound of chewing popcorn... Definitely not!
  • StalwartUKStalwartUK Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These cinema showings are proving to be quite the money spinner for the BBC...

One day you might not even need a TV to catch Doctor Who... just head down to your local cinema every week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »

For the same reason I saw Day of The Doctor in the cinema...

..and it didn't involve those crying babies and popcorn chewers.
    Jon_Jones wrote: »
    This is a major event -- it's Peter capaldi's debut. I for one won't be going to see Deep Breath in the Cinema... because I've already got tickets to see the world premiere in Saint David's Hall, Cardiff :D

See you there!
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

I didn't realise I'd woken up in America all of a sudden.

Oh, no I didn't. And that sort of thing very rarely happens here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    I didn't realise I'd woken up in America all of a sudden.

Oh, no I didn't. And that sort of thing very rarely happens here.

If your local cinema ever has a screening for the Rocky Horror Picture Show, you must go along!