Options

Call The Midwife

Comments

• Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    New series due to start on the 18th.

Judging by the trailer it looks like Cynthia will be out of the picture for a while at least. I like Cynthia but I don't feel it will be a great loss, she didn't get much to do on her own although I will miss her in group scenes.

I wouldn't mind a little restraint in terms of how much Chummy they show. The new girl looks like a unholy mixture of Chummy (a little dippy and can't ride a bike) and Jenny. Maybe her and Patsy are due to become "friends".

I read that the actress had a baby sometime last year which could explain the (temporary) exit. The special would have been filmed at the same time as the series though, so I wonder if she agreed to do the special to explain the characters absence before then taking some time out. Hopefully she's back next series, if not the end of this one, because while I agree with that she won't be a great loss, I'll miss the friendship between the original midwives.
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect Cynthia to be back at some point in the new series, her temporary absense has been explained and the plan is for her to return as a nun. I'll miss her while she's gone as I'm fond of her character. I'll be honest that it's only young Jenny I won't feel the absense of, I liked her but I didn't miss her in the CS.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I agree. I'd like Cynthia to return. Even though she was a quiet character she still made a mark and there was always a feeling that she still had a story to tell. Whereas Jenny Lee had become a bit boring in the last series and some of the stories around her seemed a bit forced and contrived.
  • Options
    CrazySingerGalCrazySingerGal Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    As much as I love Call The Midwife, I really hope that series 4 is the last one because I don't see where it can go from there and it's better to end the show on a high than keep it plodding on with poorer quality stories. Having said that, i'm looking forward to the next series.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I love Call The Midwife, I really hope that series 4 is the last one because I don't see where it can go from there and it's better to end the show on a high than keep it plodding on with poorer quality stories. Having said that, i'm looking forward to the next series.

Unfortunately thats the fate of most modern shows. They never know when to stop.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Unfortunately thats the fate of most modern shows. They never know when to stop.

That never bothers me. If I don't like them I don't watch but there is always a chance that they can keep up the standard. If not it doesn't take away from the early shows and I will know that I'm not missing anything.
  • Options
    Double DeckerDouble Decker Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Despite it's faults, I love the show and cannot wait for the new series. Nice bit of Sunday evening television.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lovely series, loved all three
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    As is usual with any episode of Call The Midwife, I loved it!

and again as usual 'Little Mo', who I disagree was actually playing 'Little Mo' again, made me cry. It was even more heartwrenching than when she bashed Trevor with the iron over the bonce! :o
    What a great actress she still is.

I agree with the OP about the ramblings of the oldest nun. That is the only thing that spoils the show for me. I never have the foggiest clue what she is on about!
    Seems a certified loon!

Bearing in mind that Judy Parfitt is playing someone suffering from dementia (as she explained in an interview a year or so back), I'm not sure we're supposed to understand what she's on about.
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Did Noakes say that one of the husbands had been caught with another man?i I wonder what the nuns will say about that?
  • Options
    KaifKaif Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    i wonder what Patsy will have to say about it especially if the rumours about her being a lesbian turn about to be true:o
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaif wrote: »
    i wonder what Patsy will have to say about it especially if the rumours about her being a lesbian turn about to be true:o
    Maybe the storyline will give us a hint about what her sexuality is. I still don't know.
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Will be interesting if they go for an authentic 60's reaction or if it's got a bit of modern sensibilities to it.
  • Options
    Sal*UKSal*UK Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Not long to go now - can't wait!! Call the Midwife followed by Last Tango - what a great Sunday night.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't Chummy's baby be a big bigger by now :confused: Or has time not past by to far.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Anyone else here ? :)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm here with a couple of satsumas!:).

Rose hip syrup ...... We used to have that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh how silly, why would dogs grab her clothes???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Anyone else here ? :)

I'm not here. :blush:
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    What else is the boy with the baby in?
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I'm here with a couple of satsumas!:).

Rose hip syrup ...... We used to have that.

With cinzano?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HALibutt wrote: »
    I'm not here. :blush:

OK ;) .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    What else is the boy with the baby in?

I dunno. I can't think.

but I hope nothing bad happens to him or the poor baby.

I can't handle it!

I get ridiculously upset by the sad bits in this show! :(:blush:
  • Options
    tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch a hangover from Cinzano & rose hip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How did the baby get so dirty in just a couple of hours!?