Options

Cheryl on Royal Variety

Comments

• Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Why can't you guys just accept that maybe she sung live and sounded Ok instead of suggesting otherwise? It's obvious 'The Flooooooood' bits are part of a backing track, she gives that away at 2:31. If she was live auto tuned those 'Oh, Oh's' would have sounded robotic because they were so awful. The song uses more than one key so it would be quite impossible to change the mic to the key she was supposed to be singing in. This melodyne looks like only something you can use in the studio.

Use your logic and look at her face, she looks shit scared, she wouldn't look like that if her vocals were pre-recorded...what would she be nervous about?

She's the biggest popstar in Britain. What's there to be shit scared about? Oh, the fact that she's a bg fat fraud and that she can't sing. She can fool her fans who will buy anything with her face on, but not everyone. Seems as though she now knows this.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't you guys just accept that maybe she sung live and sounded Ok instead of suggesting otherwise? It's obvious 'The Flooooooood' bits are part of a backing track, she gives that away at 2:31. If she was live auto tuned those 'Oh, Oh's' would have sounded robotic because they were so awful. The song uses more than one key so it would be quite impossible to change the mic to the key she was supposed to be singing in. This melodyne looks like only something you can use in the studio.

Use your logic and look at her face, she looks shit scared, she wouldn't look like that if her vocals were pre-recorded...what would she be nervous about?

You are falling for her textbook tricks. Yet again. :rolleyes:

Firstly, the Oh, Ohs are there to fool people into thinking its live, when it really isn't. Even they have been slightly touched up with Melodyne to make sure the pitch is more consistent.

Secondly, if it was an auto-tuned mic, which I highly doubt, switching the key is as easy as pressing a button, so there is no issue there.

The fact is, you can't accept that this girl just cannot sing, and this 'evidence' you keep repeating holds no basis for proof against the fact she is a talentless individual.

This performance was using pre-recorded vocals touched up with Melodyne in the studio to sound 'as-live' end of.
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Cheryl Cole could invent a cure for cancer or solve world hunger and still be slated on here. The truth of the matter is that Cheryl doesn't have a strong voice, but she has a nice tone to it, and that was a confident well delivered performance. She's slightly lacking in stage presence when she isn't dancing, but overall I enjoyed it waay more than some of the other performances of the night (anyone else think Paloma Faith sounded a bit off?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that song was "autotuned" or fixed up in any way, then the people behind it need to be sacked. IT SUCKED. I'm more inclined to think she did sing live because of how freaking awful it was. Surely nobody would have planned for it to sound that bad?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;46659203']She mimed the chorus and sang supposedly 'live' using heavy autotune.. I think she'd be much better off as a model instead of a singer, she's not good enough to go solo..

But she already got 2 number 1 albums and two number 1 singles as a solo. That's enough for any singer to keep doing what they love doing the most which is singing.

I think Cheryl is a good singer and people who like her will enjoy her every time she perform.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    It was live and you can tell from the expression on her face that she wasn't a 100% happy with it but she tried her best.

I don't see why people are so bitchy about tbh as Cheryl has never stated she is the next Mariah or Whitney.

If people like it then who is anyone else to say it wrong.

Just because some dislike her doesn't mean she can't sing and it's obvious she wasn't lead singer material and it's why she entered a group based competition.

Live and let live ;)

Wagner sucked balls but people loved him/
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ajar wrote: »
    believe me, she sang live

and there were parts that were auto-tuned
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I have a question regarding how singers hold their mics. I always thought that you had to hold a mic away from your mouth a certain distance or you would get distortion. And yet I see so many performers holding the mics right against their mouths now. I always believed that when they did that it was a sure sign that they were miming so that you couldn't see their mouths if they messed up. Again unless mics have changed a lot over the years wouldn't holding one that close to your mouth cause distortion or feedback?

This!

If you watched all the other live acts such as Jamie Cullum, they don't hold their mics too close to their mouth because it distorts the sound and brings in unwanted breath sounds etc. The fact she ALWAYS holds her mic so close she looks like shes about to swollow it is proof she doesn't sing live. She may well have the mic on very quietly to make it sound a bit live though not enough to make an difference.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    I have a question regarding how singers hold their mics. I always thought that you had to hold a mic away from your mouth a certain distance or you would get distortion. And yet I see so many performers holding the mics right against their mouths now. I always believed that when they did that it was a sure sign that they were miming so that you couldn't see their mouths if they messed up. Again unless mics have changed a lot over the years wouldn't holding one that close to your mouth cause distortion or feedback?

You wouldn't get distortion holding a mic close to your mouth because there is no feedback loop , if you point a mic or guitar at an amp then it will cause feedback and distortion.

Some singers now use mic headsets if they have a dance routine as it doesn't pick up breathing sounds because the technology has improved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZICSiE_UF8#t=1m35s

Obviously there was an audio delay on the broadcast ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was part-live, part mimed and part-autotuned. Anyone who has the magic of hearing should cop this straight away!
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaniA wrote: »
    This!

If you watched all the other live acts such as Jamie Cullum, they don't hold their mics too close to their mouth because it distorts the sound and brings in unwanted breath sounds etc. The fact she ALWAYS holds her mic so close she looks like shes about to swollow it is proof she doesn't sing live. She may well have the mic on very quietly to make it sound a bit live though not enough to make an difference.

As I said in a previous post:

She always holds the mic close to her mouth, even in GA.

See:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/dd3e39111444782

And there's the performance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIoEUCoI5Xc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    You are falling for her textbook tricks. Yet again. :rolleyes:

Firstly, the Oh, Ohs are there to fool people into thinking its live, when it really isn't. Even they have been slightly touched up with Melodyne to make sure the pitch is more consistent.

Secondly, if it was an auto-tuned mic, which I highly doubt, switching the key is as easy as pressing a button, so there is no issue there.

The fact is, you can't accept that this girl just cannot sing, and this 'evidence' you keep repeating holds no basis for proof against the fact she is a talentless individual.

This performance was using pre-recorded vocals touched up with Melodyne in the studio to sound 'as-live' end of.

You believe what you want too. I'm a fan and can tell when she's singing live or not. I don't kid myself into thinking she's singing live when she's not, nor do I think she's an amazing singer. All the signs were in that performance to suggest it was live. The little twitch she has in her fingers whilst holding the mic is something she ALWAYS does when she sings live but not when she mimes (see X Factor FFTL). The evidence you provide means nothing as you have no idea what happens, you just think you do. I'm done here. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    It really wasn't that bad...

Though I admit that Cheryl should stick to dance-pop songs, way more her thing (Britney-like in that respect).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxj27WlPlSM

Watch from 2:35, if she can do that note live, she can do the note in The Flood live.
  • Options
    Daemon666Daemon666 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gav016 wrote: »
    Cheryl Cole could invent a cure for cancer or solve world hunger and still be slated on here.

We'd settle for a decent song sung live but apparently that bar is still set a little too high for her.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I don't know whether she sang live or not, but that is a shit song.

Some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard.:(
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You believe what you want too. I'm a fan and can tell when she's singing live or not. I don't kid myself into thinking she's singing live when she's not, nor do I think she's an amazing singer. All the signs were in that performance to suggest it was live. The little twitch she has in her fingers whilst holding the mic is something she ALWAYS does when she sings live but not when she mimes (see X Factor FFTL). The evidence you provide means nothing as you have no idea what happens, you just think you do. I'm done here. :)

#sigh Ok, find me a video post PSTR where she is singing live acoustic or acapella, and then I will believe you.

The fact that she has never demonstrated her 'talents' as you see them, is why I can never believe her. If you can find me this video, then maybe I will think otherwise...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF2XrhE4gGw

1:28-1:50
    2:22-2:37
    Cheryl, live in the live lounge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i was as bad at my job as she is at hers i would have been out on my arse along time ago.
  • Options
    suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

lol at 2:27
    Just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxj27WlPlSM

Watch from 2:35, if she can do that note live, she can do the note in The Flood live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,848
    Forum Member
    When is the music industry going to do us all a favour and relegate her to the Geri Halliwell League?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suniil wrote: »

What? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,848
    Forum Member
    Why can't you guys just accept that maybe she sung live and sounded Ok instead of suggesting otherwise?

Maybe that is the ultimate problem. She is just..... er.... ok..... and the showbiz and entertainment (a.k.a. Syco) arena has promoted her to levels well above her station, which the public have consumed with gluttonous glee. In turn, other people on DS and wider society are a little bitter about the whole thing. I cannot say that I blame them. It has always been a case that the beautiful and vacuous are prioritised as iconic totems for the naive to worship, but over the past few years it has definitely got worse.

I personally am not so bitter. But then I am not a struggling musician who the showbiz arena and the top 40 singles charts are out of the reach of.