Options

Babar goes 3D / CGI

Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
Forum Member
Oh dear, yet another classic cartoon is modernised.

Babar and the Adventures of Badou (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SDlS8D49WY&NR=1

The Classic Babar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPSTfRlFHak

Comments

• Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't surprise me, but yes, it's a poor substitute. I never really knew anyone who liked Babar in the first place, but this looks awful. The soulless, textureless characters and the generic CGI 'animation'...ugh.

The new Yogi Bear movie looks even creepier.

I don't know why traditional 2D animation has all but died out? People are just too lazy to put the hours in I guess? Either way, I'll take 50 year old Looney Tunes over this cobblers any old day.
  • Options
    DevoidDroidDevoidDroid Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    ...The new Yogi Bear movie looks even creepier.

FYI I watched the Yogi Bear movie and while obviously Yogi is different to the cartoons of yesteryear is was enjoyable and not creepy.
  • Options
    M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    The new CG version of Barbar is no worse than the really cheap looking 2d animation of the old series in my eyes.

The old version looks stilted in its movements and flow whereas the CG has loads more with us following the characters through and up wards.

The old style 80's and 90's cheap asian factory animation has never really looked any good, even on the Simpsons the animation is one of the worst aspects of the show.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I remember Babar - awww :) Made by the same people who made Tintin.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is this obsession with updating and remaking everything? Why can't old shows and programmes just be left alone?
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Exactly :(