ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    see posts above (2514) about "new formats"

ITV are just remaking the shows from the '80's (and '50's), where are all the new formats please??
    This year we've had these new.

Gift Wrapped
    The 21st Question
    Ejector Seat
    Amazing Greys

Those just off the top of my head sure there are plenty of others.

And these are still going strong still, and they're not revivals.
    The Cube
    The Chase
    Tipping Point
    Big Stars Little Star

If there is demand for the classic formats there is no shame in reusing them though, ITV don't have a moral obligation to only work on new formats.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^You missed Judge Rinder which is undoubtedly a new daytime hit for ITV. Brilliantly entertaining show.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    ^You missed Judge Rinder which is undoubtedly a new daytime hit for ITV. Brilliantly entertaining show.
    Its a rip off of Judge Judy though. Hardly an original format.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Yes, great show meant to put it down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    But they're the first to do it in the UK, and the Judge has a slightly different USP to Judge Judy.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »

Of course, the BBC don't bother with new daytime formats and prefer to recycle endless repeats of the awful Perfection.
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    itv are bound to suffer in the ratings. After all we live in a multi channel era now. What i would like to see is the general public take centre stage in its quiz programming like mr and mrs and family fortunes which itv have made celeb exclusive. Why dont itv commission these programmes with the general public taking part and lets see once and for all which is popular. Celebs are ok occassionally but to make series after series with them is getting too much. just saying

Most people are fed up with ITV's obsession with Z list celebrities
    Because people don't want to watch normal people in primetime. Normal people are on the 5pm Quiz shows or Countdown, DOND etc.

To get big ratings you really need celebrities these days.

You must be joking right??!!
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finlux wrote: »
    Most people are fed up with ITV's obsession with Z list celebrities

You must be joking right??!!

BBC1 are just as obsessed with celebrities. This summer we've had Celebrity Masterchef, Pointless celebs, tumble. Strictly is coming up, there are many others.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you need is original programming not celebs.

People are fed up with talent shows, game shows etc.

Not saying you can't have any, but as I said before there are many great and original shows coming out of the US and the BBC and ITV miss all of them.

Maybe they're focusing on home grown talent. Fine if there is any!
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not saying you can't have any, but as I said before there are many great and original shows coming out of the US and the BBC and ITV miss all of them.

Then who are all these millions watching them ?
  • Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You seem to be a bit dim. We only get the great and original shows over here from the US because that's all our broadcasters buy - as someone who watches a lot of the American TV stations, I can tell you there is a lot of rubbish! American TV has gameshows, reality TV and other stuff like us as well, it just doesn't get shown over here so people like you think that they only produce amazing stuff.

It makes me laugh how you say "people are fed up with..." - who? What people? Oh wait, you mean just you and the other professional complainers who think that their opinion speaks for everyone. The TV stations wouldn't show programmes if they didn't get the viewers, would they? So people must be watching! I'm not sure if you understand that BASIC FACT. No broadcaster would show a programme continuously that didn't get any viewers.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember how itv used to be. In the 70s and 80s we had a whole raft of game shows that involved the public on itv. But now itv seems to be saying to the public that they are not worthy of being on itv primetime and so are relegated to the afternoon gameshows where they dont get the viewers. It is sad indictment that itv is celeb obsessed when it comes to game shows and some but not all of their output. Just saying

The regular 13 to 16 million watching ITV1 at primetime is a thing of the past.

If what was broadcast in the 1970's and 1980"s was broadcast now they would get nowhere near the viewing figures they got way back then. Same with BBC1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't get viewers at 5pm? 3m/4m for the Chase or any gameshow is great! Statistically more people watch those kinds of show whilst having their tea. It's not that they're not worthy for primetime, it's just that people would rather see celebrities they like win money for charity (plus, let's be honest, Mr and Mrs would be boring if it was normal people, because tastes have changed).

Okay, you remember how ITV 'used to be', but why live in the past?

Mr and Mrs was originally played by normal people. It was most suited to weekday mornings with those normal people back then than it is to the celebs at primetime nowadays.

£300 jackpot back then in the 1970's and 1980's (with the jackpot amount being on a display looking similar to the display at he Meat counter at Tesco back then) produced by the once wonderful Border Television. Yet £3000 on Deal or No Deal today is scoffed at like it's pocket change yet the £3,000 jackpot on Family Fortunes (the original with normal families) was considered marvellous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Mr and Mrs was originally played by normal people. It was most suited to weekday mornings with those normal people back then than it is to the celebs at primetime nowadays.

£300 jackpot back then (with the jackpot amount being on a display looking*similar to what was at the Meat counter at Tesco back then). Yet £3000 on Deal or No Deal today is scoffed at like it's pocket change yet the £3,000 jackpot on Family Fortunes (the original with normal families) was considered marvellous.

Not sure if you've heard about inflation, but what was a huge prize back then isn't at all now. My dad (single, on one income) bought a house for £22000 in 1982, I doubt you could do that now. So saying that a £300 prize should be good today is silly, because in the 80s that would've been about a tenner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if you've heard about inflation, but what was a huge prize back then isn't at all now. My dad (single, on one income) bought a house for £22000 in 1982, I doubt you could do that now. So saying that a £300 prize should be good today is silly, because in the 80s that would've been about a tenner.

£300 wasn't that big a jackpot on Mr and Mrs.

£3,000 isn't as rubbish an amount to take home from Deal or No Deal as all the scoffing on the show (as though it's terrible) suggests. Same with these quizzes on the lottery show. Unless the contestants take home £40,000 or more the audience are not overly enthralled.

But a £5,000 win on Perfection or Pointless the audience think it's marvellous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £300 wasn't that big a jackpot on Mr and Mrs.

£3,000 isn't as rubbish an amount to take home from Deal or No Deal as all the scoffing on the show (as though it's terrible) suggests. Same with these quizzes on the lottery show. Unless the contestants take home £40,000 or more the audience are not overly enthralled.

But a £5,000 win on Perfection or Pointless the audience think it's marvellous.

Well, that's just because on DoND you could win £250,000, so compared to that, £3000 seems like nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    BBC1 are just as obsessed with celebrities. This summer we've had Celebrity Masterchef, Pointless celebs, tumble. Strictly is coming up, there are many others.

I'm not disputing that, although ITV are more so. At least the BBC haven't cancelled Pointless, just to bring it back ONLY as Pointless Celebrities, same with Masterchef, it is not JUST Celebrity Masterchef - there is the normal one as well, with ordinary people! ETC.

My previous response is to Omniconsumer93's post that "we don't want to watch normal people in primetime, and that the only way to get big ratings is to have celebrities on" :o

Each to their own, I suppose! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that's just because on DoND you could win £250,000, so compared to that, £3000 seems like nothing.

On DoND many contestants can go home (and have gone home) with no money at all.

A £0.00 result is far more common on DoND these days than a win of £50,000 or in excess
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not disputing that, although ITV are more so. At least the BBC haven't cancelled Pointless, just to bring it back ONLY as Pointless Celebrities, same with Masterchef, it is not JUST Celebrity Masterchef - there is the normal one as well, with ordinary people! ETC.

My previous response is to Omniconsumer93's post that "we don't want to watch normal people in primetime, and that the only way to get big ratings is to have celebrities on" :o

Each to their own, I suppose! :cool:

ITV haven't cancelled the normal versions of The Chase or Tipping Point, either.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

According to this handy site, £300 today is equivalent to about £90 in 1982.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV haven't cancelled the normal versions of The Chase or Tipping Point, either.

Fair point! :)

Although, as previously pointed out are afternoon shows & not peak time.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A £0.00 result is far more common on DoND these days than a win of £50,000 or in excess

How come ? I thought every contestant on DoND won at least 1p ??? Mind you I havent seen it for a few years
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itv are bound to suffer in the ratings. After all we live in a multi channel era now. What i would like to see is the general public take centre stage in its quiz programming like mr and mrs and family fortunes which itv have made celeb exclusive. Why dont itv commission these programmes with the general public taking part and lets see once and for all which is popular. Celebs are ok occassionally but to make series after series with them is getting too much. just saying

I agree that ITV should bring a non-celeb version of Family Fortunes back. As others have said though, I couldn't see Mr & Mrs working in it's original format. It's a bit twee to be honest.

I'd personally love to see Blockbusters back on ITV. The Challenge TV remake was ok (Simon Mayo was a good host imo) however I feel it just belongs on it's original home of ITV (hence why it didn't work on BBC2 either). Not sure where it's fit in their schedule though.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

DOND is abysmal, even ITV wouldn't go as far as to make a game show where there's no skill involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair point! :)

Although, as previously pointed out are afternoon shows & not peak time.

I still don't understand the mindset that 5pm is 'afternoon', because in broadcast it's usually referred to as "teatime".

Also, let's be honest, as good as they are, do we want gameshows everywhere in primetime? No.