BBC Election Night

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    Isn't that kind of avoiding democracy as well?

Why?

I know who I will vote for or perhaps more important, who I will not vote for. I have voted in every election for over fifty years (though never been in a polling station!).
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    If they go electronic i suppose the votes will come in at 10.01PM, no election night.

There will always be a problem somewhere in the system and they have to decide whether release the vote constituency by constituency or all of them together.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are the BBC going to use the "Arthur" theme to begin Election Night? It's a stirring piece that conveys the gravity of the evening to me. Pleased David Dimbleby seems to agree.

What about the 10pm exit poll, what do we think it will say at the outset? I think we can rule out a Conservative landslide at this stage.

I'm also far from convinced we will be waiting until 10pm on Thursday 7th May 2020 for the next General Election night, the fixed terms will prove unsustainable if a minority government takes office.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Warwickshire do all their counting the following morning, Leamington and Warwick certainly did because I remember seeing the result being declared at lunch time
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    It seems to be going the other way, at least for local elections, with less overnight counting and many waiting until next day. The regional opt outs on recent local election shows can often be farcical as hardly any area was counting. It's cheaper to do daytime counts.

It probably isn't, actually, because you have to arrange security to ensure the boxes are kept safe overnight, plus of course book the hall for two days. In fact there are more counts on the night than ever before, as the planned declaration times illustrate...
    http://election.pressassociation.com/Declaration_times/general_2015_by_time.php

I actually think the returning officers now are obliged to count the votes as quickly as possible and have to have a good reason to delay them to the next day. More than just "it's cheaper".
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Who's anchoring for ITV and Sky ?

Dimbleby is a superb anchor as indeed was his father

ITV has Tom Bradby anchoring on election night

Then at 6am Good Morning Britain takes over

Then after GMB ITV news is back with
    Alastair Stewart dont know when GMB finishes
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    ITV has Tom Bradby anchoring on election night

Then at 6am Good Morning Britain takes over

Then after GMB ITV news is back with
    Alastair Stewart dont know when GMB finishes

I wouldn't have thought Bradby was the best ITV have and certainly no match for Dimbleby and his Mars bars:D
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought Bradby was the best ITV have and certainly no match for Dimbleby and his Mars bars:D

I dont understand why Mark Austin doesnt have a bigger role
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    I dont understand why Mark Austin doesnt have a bigger role

Indeed
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I think Warwickshire do all their counting the following morning, Leamington and Warwick certainly did because I remember seeing the result being declared at lunch time

Are you thinking of 2005 when there was only a few hundred in it? If they have recounts they sometimes let them have a nap before starting the count again
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    If they go electronic i suppose the votes will come in at 10.01PM, no election night.

Announced in reverse order and "The next Prime Minister will be............................. revealed after the break!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northern Ireland don't count until the following day and RTE usually send a few OB units north to help the BBC (as happens in reverse when there's an election in the Republic).
  • Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    So are the BBC going to use the "Arthur" theme to begin Election Night? It's a stirring piece that conveys the gravity of the evening to me. Pleased David Dimbleby seems to agree.

What about the 10pm exit poll, what do we think it will say at the outset? I think we can rule out a Conservative landslide at this stage.

I'm also far from convinced we will be waiting until 10pm on Thursday 7th May 2020 for the next General Election night, the fixed terms will prove unsustainable if a minority government takes office.

It seems that there is some momentum on Radio 4 for 'Arthur' to return as they are using it every night on PM for a light hearted election roundup. David Dimbleby was asked his view on using the theme again and he was very much in favour of it and would "speak to his editor" about it. Sadly, I think it unlikely it will be used as the BBC are using the new composition throughout their coverage already.

John Curtice, who will be the resident psephologist for election night, has already said that he expects to be able to give an accurate and precise numbers of seats and detailed analysis from the moment the exit poll is released at 10pm. To be fair the exit poll in 2010 was spot on with seat number prediction.

I agree this GE is very different from 2010 and the prospect of a stable government for a fixed 5 years is unlikely.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV coverage

TV has announced their coverage plans for the 2015 General Election.

ITV News Political Editor, Tom Bradby, will take the chair on election night (7th May) leading ITV’s coverage of the closest and most unpredictable battle for Number 10 in a generation. He’ll be on air with the fastest results and the best analysis from an expert panel.

Tom will be joined in the studio by two of the country’s leading psephologists: Professor Colin Rallings, ITV News’ election analyst for more than 20 years; and Professor Jane Green, from Manchester University, one of the Directors of the British Election Study, an organisation which has been monitoring British election behaviour for more than 50 years.

Julie Etchingham will also play a leading role in ITV’s coverage on the night: interrogating the key data in the studio with clear graphics.

On election night, ITV regional news will have more than 120 reporters at counts across the UK who’ll be supporting the network programme throughout the night, contributing to rolling news coverage online.

Alex Chandler, Programme Editor of ITV’s Election Programme – “First with the results, fast with analysis and focused on telling the story of the election as it happens, ITV’s overnight programme will guide viewers through the most complex and unpredictable race in a generation with comprehensive coverage of the battle for Number 10 and what lies ahead once the results are in.”

Good Morning Britain

On the morning after polling day, Good Morning Britain will bring the first news of the night’s dramatic events to the nation as it wakes up. Anchored from the Good Morning Britain studio, the programme will be fastest to air with the key live results from around the country, supported by a team of ITV News correspondents, reporting history as it happens.

There will be informed analysis from Britain’s top experts; commentary from political sparring partners, Edwina Currie and Oona King; three former spin doctors, who really know what goes on behind the closed doors of Westminster, will unravel the substance from the spin; Good Morning Britain’s panel of ‘floating voter mums’ will finally reveal which way they voted; and there’ll be further insight from respected political pundits, Andrew Pierce and Kevin Maguire.

Vital to the outcome of the election will be Scotland – Lorraine Kelly will be live from Govan in Glasgow, just a stone’s throw from where she was born. She’ll be joined by the key Scottish political figures, who could play a major role in the next government.

ITV News

ITV News will be back on air after Good Morning Britain throughout the morning of May 8th, with a special extended programme presented by Alastair Stewart.

Stewart will report on the key developments and reaction to the results of the General Election 2015. He will be joined by leading politicians and key reporters from across the country – alongside experts such as Colin Rallings from Plymouth University and Constitutional Historian Vernon Bogdanor. ITV’s top journalists will analyse how the nation has voted and who will be the next occupant of Number Ten.

Later that day, Alastair Stewart and Mary Nightingale will be bringing the early evening news live from Downing Street and Westminster, and Mark Austin and Julie Etchingham will anchor an extended ITV News At Ten with analysis from Political Editor Tom Bradby and key correspondents on what is sure to be a dramatic day in Westminster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Coverage

The BBC has unveiled its coverage plans for General Election 2015.

On Election night (7th May), BBC One and the BBC News Channel will carry the TV results programme, Election 2015, hosted by David Dimbleby from 10pm.

David will be joined by Nick Robinson, Jeremy Vine, Emily Maitlis and Andrew Neil.

The BBC, ITV and Sky are jointly commissioning an exit poll which will be published when the polls close at 10pm.

Huw Edwards takes over the marathon live results programme from 7am on May 8 until the final result becomes clear during the day.

He and his team will stay live on air if the result falls short of an overall majority for any party.

Mishal Husain, Victoria Derbyshire, Evan Davis, John Humphrys, Eddie Mair, Sophie Raworth, Nicky Campbell, and Laura Kuenssberg will also be on hand throughout the election campaign and on the BBC’s comprehensive results programme on 7/8 May.

James Harding, Director of BBC News and Current Affairs - “The BBC is the most trusted source of news in the UK. More than ever in the noisy weeks ahead the BBC should be the place people come for the news – news that is reliable and insightful, independent and impartial.

The place for accurate reporting, thorough questioning and expert analysis. The place, too, that people come for news that’s moving with the times. This will be election coverage for the internet age.”
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SKY NEWS

Sky News has today released its plans for the 2015 General Election

On Election night (7th May), Sky News will be live from over 270 declarations. Partnering with Live U, this is the most ambitious and wide ranging results service available and will ensure viewers have the most up to date information as it happens.

Coverage will kick off at 9pm in a new specially created studio at Sky News’ Osterley studio. Adam Boulton will present the coverage with Faisal Islam and polling expert Michael Thrasher interpreting the results as they are announced.

The Sky News team will broadcast from key constituencies across the UK with Kay Burley from Witney (David Cameron’s seat), Anna Botting from Sheffield Hallam (Nick Clegg’s constituency), Jeremy Thompson from Ed Miliband’s constituency in Doncaster, and Andrew Wilson from Margate where Nigel Farage will be hoping to gain the Thanet South seat.

Sunrise presenter Eamonn Holmes will be in Sunderland where the first result of the night is expected to be announced.

Sky News presenter Dermot Murnaghan will take the baton from 5am on May 8th broadcasting live from Westminster where Sky News’ coverage will remain until a government is formed.

Sky News will also be teaming up with Sky Arts on the evening of the election for a special broadcast, Election Newsroom Live. From 10pm to 8am on election night fixed rig cameras within the Sky News studios will offer customers a glimpse behind the scenes on election night at Sky News in real time.

Mark Longhurst will give running commentary of what is happening and Martin Stanford will use a mini camera to present live during the evening.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    marke09 wrote: »
    SKY NEWS

Sky News has today released its plans for the 2015 General Election

On Election night (7th May), Sky News will be live from over 270 declarations. Partnering with Live U, this is the most ambitious and wide ranging results service available and will ensure viewers have the most up to date information as it happens.

Coverage will kick off at 9pm in a new specially created studio at Sky News’ Osterley studio. Adam Boulton will present the coverage with Faisal Islam and polling expert Michael Thrasher interpreting the results as they are announced.

The Sky News team will broadcast from key constituencies across the UK with Kay Burley from Witney (David Cameron’s seat), Anna Botting from Sheffield Hallam (Nick Clegg’s constituency), Jeremy Thompson from Ed Miliband’s constituency in Doncaster, and Andrew Wilson from Margate where Nigel Farage will be hoping to gain the Thanet South seat.

Sunrise presenter Eamonn Holmes will be in Sunderland where the first result of the night is expected to be announced.

Sky News presenter Dermot Murnaghan will take the baton from 5am on May 8th broadcasting live from Westminster where Sky News’ coverage will remain until a government is formed.

Sky News will also be teaming up with Sky Arts on the evening of the election for a special broadcast, Election Newsroom Live. From 10pm to 8am on election night fixed rig cameras within the Sky News studios will offer customers a glimpse behind the scenes on election night at Sky News in real time.

Mark Longhurst will give running commentary of what is happening and Martin Stanford will use a mini camera to present live during the evening.

:):)

That will be interesting.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be the same as it's always been all my life due to the way the votes are done.

I vote, the other party always gets in and my vote is therefore put in the bin and plays no part in who gets into Number 10.

All this 'It's important to vote to have your say' when my vote means nothing is silly.

So if you happened to be approached by someone from the media wanting to as you opinions what would you say?, I really do hate people who say they can't be bothered to vote and yet they are quick enough to complain.

What I say is - Vote and you have the right to complain or have an opinion - Don't vote and what right have you got to an opinion or to give an opinion to someone at work against any party?.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    No!

I have avoided all the 'debates' and PEBs as well as most TV news bulletins. I intend to do the same on election night, I would be tempted to go away for a few days but I am going somewhere on the Saturday.

I know my Auntie and Uncle are the same as you as they quote things they read in The Daily Mail, but I do feel it is such a shame when people are not prepared to listen to different opinions and are set in there ways.

To me Labour are the party of fairness and the Tories are the nasty party and when you see examples on the news that and I'm sorry to include politics in this thread but I will for example in this case, despite David Cameron and the Tories claiming the pensions are tax free which is not the actual case with this new pension pot/fund then it is so sad that some people are not to listen to what other parties will do and still stick to the same old unfairness etc.

Then again and no disrespect meant but I do find it in a way typical of Tory voters saying "we can't be doing with the news etc.", but at the same time they are quite prepared to still attack Labour or put there friends off voting Labour.

I will also add that I feel it is a shame for people not to hear what attacks are being made against other parties as in Labour's case at least you can then use it as part of your campaign, and there have really been some attack from the Tories in this campaign.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So yet again the BBC News channel will be broadcasting hours of coverage that are already available to 99.9% of the population on BBC1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :):)

That will be interesting.

yes im looking forward to that too see how it all comes together
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    I think I would say that the results will be much more interesting than the campaign, which is why I am looking forward to it more.

My sentiments too. Assuming we do get a hung parliament it will be fun seeing what (if anything) emerges.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    So yet again the BBC News channel will be broadcasting hours of coverage that are already available to 99.9% of the population on BBC1.

Because its important for it to be shown on BBC one, and its news so its on the news channel as well.

Can you imagine if the news channel paid hardly any attention to an election taking place.:o
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a long shot but any plans for past election night repeats to be shown on BBC Parlement between now and election night 2015?
  • Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If we want the BBC to provide alternative or other coverage of such events on the News Channel, then it would be important to vote for a government which didn't effectively cut its budget by more than 20%. Do you see what I did there?