Options

Kent social services plead for help with migrant children

Comments

• Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Thats very funny. I can tell you now that people would be clamoring to foster UASC rather than the usual shirty 15 year old indigenous child from a sink estate whose hobby is criminal damage and drug dealing.

That's a terrible thing to say about kids from what you call "sink estates." I hope you retract that.

I know foster carers who are very reluctant to foster illegal immigrant "children" because they are extremely dubious that they are, in fact, under 18. Who would want young men of maybe 20 and 21 in their house with their own teenage daughters and young children?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This whole issue is even more ludicrous than I thought.

These illegal immigrant children who are going into foster care have to be cared for until the age of 25 YEARS!!!!!! This is totally unbelieveable. We have to pick up the tab for them to be cared for in a foster home, children's home, even university and college fees until they are 25!!!

I know I'm going back a few years but my son was friends with a lad in care and he was on his own completely when he got to 16. They found him a tiny flat, gave him a few quid for the basics and left him to it. I went round and took him towels, sheets, crockery and cleaning materials because he was a nice lad and shouldn't just have been left like that.

How come our own kids have to pay their own university fees, yet come here illegally and you get it all FREE?
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    That's a terrible thing to say about kids from what you call "sink estates." I hope you retract that.

I know foster carers who are very reluctant to foster illegal immigrant "children" because they are extremely dubious that they are, in fact, under 18. Who would want young men of maybe 20 and 21 in their house with their own teenage daughters and young children?

Why would I retract it, these children are the hardest to place of all. They come late into care after a lifetime of poor parenting, living among other criminal elements in poverty and poor environmental conditions and have been involved in all sorts. Their parents then dump them on social services and foster carers, rightly or wrongly, dont touch them with a barge pole.

Yes the estates that many come from are 'sink estates'.

Its almost a 24/7 job to support them to find placements both in terms of accommodation and education and give them the skills to turn round what they have learnt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This whole issue is even more ludicrous than I thought.

These illegal immigrant children who are going into foster care have to be cared for until the age of 25 YEARS!!!!!! This is totally unbelieveable. We have to pick up the tab for them to be cared for in a foster home, children's home, even university and college fees until they are 25!!!

I know I'm going back a few years but my son was friends with a lad in care and he was on his own completely when he got to 16. They found him a tiny flat, gave him a few quid for the basics and left him to it. I went round and took him towels, sheets, crockery and cleaning materials because he was a nice lad and shouldn't just have been left like that.

How come our own kids have to pay their own university fees, yet come here illegally and you get it all FREE?

If you can show me the government guidelines that say this (you wont be able to), I would be grateful

No child in care is cared for until they are 25, please get your facts right. All care leavers are entitled to have their university fees paid and some accommodation costs if they go to university, usually until 24 but that depends on the local authority. They are not in care until 25.

Care ends for all children (unless they choose to return home or sign themselves out of care) at 18. Most local authorities give setting up costs to pay for the cost of towels, kitchenware etc, but are not obliged to under the legislation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would I retract it, these children are the hardest to place of all. They come late into care after a lifetime of poor parenting, living among other criminal elements in poverty and poor environmental conditions and have been involved in all sorts. Their parents then dump them on social services and foster carers, rightly or wrongly, dont touch them with a barge pole.

Yes the estates that many come from are 'sink estates'.

Its almost a 24/7 job to support them to find placements both in terms of accommodation and education and give them the skills to turn round what they have learnt.

and you know NOTHING about these illegal immigrant kids .... Nothing at all, not even their proper age or name, yet you'd rather care for them than our own. They could be terrorists, rapists, murderers, thieves ..... Very strange!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and you know NOTHING about these illegal immigrant kids .... Nothing at all, not even their proper age or name, yet you'd rather care for them than our own. They could be terrorists, rapists, murderers, thieves ..... Very strange!

Im not sure who you think I am, Im not a foster carer? I dont care for anyone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats very funny. I can tell you now that people would be clamoring to foster UASC rather than the usual shirty 15 year old indigenous child from a sink estate whose hobby is criminal damage and drug dealing.

OK you didn't say you personally cared for anyone but you implied that illegal immigrant kids were more acceptable to foster than our own kids.

Now that's cleared up, why don't you respond to the statement I made about people not knowing anything about these kids from other countries.
  • Options
    Maggie 55Maggie 55 Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure who you think I am, Im not a foster carer? I dont care for anyone

We know who you are. You have a 'social conscience and are 'doing your bit' to help these illegal immigrants because you live in a comparatively wealthy country making you much more wealthy than most of the people you profess to have a social conscience about.

However, you're doing that because you are taking taxpayers money to do so. That's right isn't it?

If your public sector employer came to you and said 'these illegal immigrants, which were hundreds but are now thousands upon thousands and are now overwhelming our budgets. With this in mind we are going to halve your pay but we know you will be alright with this because we know its not about the money particularly with you it is about doing your bit in line with your well developed social conscience' Also even with just half your pay you will still be way more wealthy than the vast majority of people trying to get here.'

You would be fine with this right?

Of course all of us on here know that in reality you would be out of there faster than someone could say "social conscience my arse!"

Maggie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie 55 wrote: »
    We know who you are. You have a 'social conscience and are 'doing your bit' to help these illegal immigrants because you live in a comparatively wealthy country making you much more wealthy than most of the people you profess to have a social conscience about.

However, you're doing that because you are taking taxpayers money to do so. That's right isn't it?

If your public sector employer came to you and said 'these illegal immigrants, which were hundreds but are now thousands upon thousands and are now overwhelming our budgets. With this in mind we are going to halve your pay but we know you will be alright with this because we know its not about the money particularly with you it is about doing your bit in line with your well developed social conscience' Also even with just half your pay you will still be way more wealthy than the vast majority of people trying to get here.'

You would be fine with this right?

Of course all of us on here know that in reality you would be out of there faster than someone could say "social conscience my arse!"

Maggie

You seem to be hysterical, although not in a funny way.

I dont have a 'social conscience' about illegal immigrants, I work with ALL children who need safeguarding. That is all children regardless of who they are and where they have come from.

And no I couldnt and wouldnt work for half my wages, unless I was offered a half a week post. Just like doctors, nurses, teachers etc, I am a professional and have studied and worked very hard for my role. I tend to be given the complex cases, the teens because many dont like working with them. I do, because I effect change.

But it wont be immigrants, illegal or otherwise, that bring social service to its knees I can tell you that much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK you didn't say you personally cared for anyone but you implied that illegal immigrant kids were more acceptable to foster than our own kids.

Now that's cleared up, why don't you respond to the statement I made about people not knowing anything about these kids from other countries.

No I wasnt 'implying' that illegal immigrant kids (or UASC) as they are correctly referred to are more acceptable to foster, I was making the accurate observation that most foster carers will not accept our 'own' (as you keep referring to them) teens with a difficult history and they are impossible to place. The post I was responding to was suggesting the ludicrous position that people would be forced to provide foster care if we had too many UASC in the country (not withstanding that many people wouldnt be allowed to foster, let alone forced to!) and my point was that if ever such a position was in place, people would still be turning away troublesome indigenous young people in favour of UASC placements.

Do we know anything of the young people who arrive on our doorstep? No of course not, thats a given. We have no documents and we cannot ask interpol to do police checks in the way that we do with families from other countries because most of the countries that UASC arrive from dont have those sorts of records, or police force, or it could put the child at risk if they knew where the child is.

The best we can do is work closely with these children, work out who their friends and links are, watch their behaviour etc etc.
  • Options
    Maggie 55Maggie 55 Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dont have a 'social conscience' about illegal immigrants, I work with ALL children who need safeguarding. That is all children regardless of who they are and where they have come from.

And no I couldnt and wouldnt work for half my wages, unless I was offered a half a week post. Just like doctors, nurses, teachers etc, I am a professional and have studied and worked very hard for my role. I tend to be given the complex cases, the teens because many dont like working with them. I do, because I effect change.

But it wont be immigrants, illegal or otherwise, that bring social service to its knees I can tell you that much.

Not hysterical at all. Just trying to expose that you do what you do for money and that is the completely overriding reason.

This business about social conscience is just a sham designed to make you appear 'holier than thou'.

You have just confirmed it!

If this countries ability to supply a decent welfare state becomes compromised down the line due to increases in needy people, therefore requiring hard decisions about how much can be spent on employees running the service, you will be out of there and all those needy kids from wherever can take a running jump as far as you are concerned, you are out of there..

It's just about the money after all!

Maggie
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I wasnt 'implying' that illegal immigrant kids (or UASC) as they are correctly referred to are more acceptable to foster, I was making the accurate observation that most foster carers will not accept our 'own' (as you keep referring to them) teens with a difficult history and they are impossible to place. The post I was responding to was suggesting the ludicrous position that people would be forced to provide foster care if we had too many UASC in the country (not withstanding that many people wouldnt be allowed to foster, let alone forced to!) and my point was that if ever such a position was in place, people would still be turning away troublesome indigenous young people in favour of UASC placements.

Do we know anything of the young people who arrive on our doorstep? No of course not, thats a given. We have no documents and we cannot ask interpol to do police checks in the way that we do with families from other countries because most of the countries that UASC arrive from dont have those sorts of records, or police force, or it could put the child at risk if they knew where the child is.

The best we can do is work closely with these children, work out who their friends and links are, watch their behaviour etc etc.

I hate it when people say we should only care about 'our own'. Isn't 'our own' human beings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when people say we should only care about 'our own'. Isn't 'our own' human beings?

Exactly, as if they are different human beings! Thankfully I work by the children act and not some poster's expectation on a forum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not hysterical at all. Just trying to expose that you do what you do for money and that is the completely overriding reason.

This business about social conscience is just a sham designed to make you appear 'holier than thou'.

If this countries ability to supply a decent welfare state becomes compromised down the line due to increases in needy people, therefore requiring hard decisions about how much can be spent on employees running the service, you will be out of there and all those needy kids from wherever can take a running jump as far as you are concerned, you are out of there..

Maggie

What a joke! If I was about the money as an overriding motivator in my life, I wouldnt be a social worker!!!

Yes I work for money, just like anyone else up and down the nation who has a mortgage and bills to pay. I chose and was lucky to be able to choose, the line of work I do because Im interested in it and passionate about children's rights and protection.

Im not sure what 'exposure' you think you have achieved, but you go ahead and carry on with your top notch investigative skills, its given me a good laugh.

Oh by the way, I probably work twice what Im paid in unpaid overtime,, so yes, I do work for half my wages.

ETA - Im also not sure why you keep banging on about social conscience, you are the only one who used that phrase, perhaps you are having some sort of delusion or something?
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    trafficked makes it sound like they are kidnapped from their home countries and families. people smugglers get paid by the people who want them to smuggle them to other countries. so they conveniently end up in the uk and germany and the usa.. instead of japan and china or russia.

wonder why rich japan doesnt get any people trafficked to them. :o

or argentina. its even longer journey there but they do manage to make it to the uk from afghanistan so why not head for argentina

Your knowledge of migrants and overseas economies is even lower than your levels of empathy for anyone in need of help.

CSJB wrote: »
    Decent people with a conscience would help other people themselves.

Hand wringers, expect others to be forced to do it for them, while they laze around in the sunshine on the top of their self proclaimed moral mountain, stopping occasionally to point and sneer at the plebs.

Well in that case then my opinion might be a little more "valid" to you as I do support work with such people as a volunteer. If anyone's sneering it's you...
    there are some aspects of "british culture" i`d eradicate tomorrow if i could and the total lack of caring and compassion for displaced children that appears to be emerging now is top of the list, could "we" become any more disgusting without actually culling people.

It makes me really ashamed that people can be so utterly without compassion.
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I totally agree annette. I'm appalled. God knows what those kids have witnessed or lost.
    I didn't think it could get any worse.
    This thread is the most telling and upsetting of the lot!

In my time working with them I can tell you that some of these children have experienced things that would give anyone nightmares.

There was one young lad of 12 from Somalia who was struggling to settle into school.. He had watched his parents get hacked to death - and he was considered to be lucky because usually the kids of that age are made to kill the parents themselves at gunpoint!!

Then people on this thread have the temerity to state that there are people in Britain who have gone through the same...
    Asylum doesnt work like that. Even after the asylum seeker becomes a citizen, they still need to pay a huge amount of money to bring other relatives over on a visa.

If you want to debate the problems about all of this, and there certainly are problems, at least know what you're talking about.

The information on how the system works all comes via the (hideously) right wing media and is aimed at whipping up hate and intolerance. The Daily Mail is little different now to how it was when it supported the Nazis.
    I edited it merely to add the final sentence.

You said "it is possible to be a rich orphan."

There are actually quite a high number of millionaire asylum seekers. They do not receive anything from the UK in terms of financial support but are seeking sanctuary here because of persecution in their own countries.
    If you can show me the government guidelines that say this (you wont be able to), I would be grateful

No child in care is cared for until they are 25, please get your facts right. All care leavers are entitled to have their university fees paid and some accommodation costs if they go to university, usually until 24 but that depends on the local authority. They are not in care until 25.

Care ends for all children (unless they choose to return home or sign themselves out of care) at 18. Most local authorities give setting up costs to pay for the cost of towels, kitchenware etc, but are not obliged to under the legislation.

Don't spoil a good fairy story... :D

Maggie

Everybody is entitled to earn a living and why shouldn't they. Doctors may have a calling to heal people but it doesn't negate their good will because they receive payment. What right do you have to pass judgement on someone who has trained to enable themselves to work in a role that enhances others' lives and criticise because they have the sheer cheek to want to get paid for what they do?

I have no idea what job you do but I dare say that you wouldn't accept anyone belittling it.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It makes me really ashamed that people can be so utterly without compassion.

In my time working with them I can tell you that some of these children have experienced things that would give anyone nightmares.

There was one young lad of 12 from Somalia who was struggling to settle into school.. He had watched his parents get hacked to death - and he was considered to be lucky because usually the kids of that age are made to kill the parents themselves at gunpoint!!

And how many other Somali children have gone through the same thing and are back in their own country still suffering? The point is we cannot take every child from a dreadful third world background. How do you choose who comes and who doesn't? Who lives, who dies? those with enough money to get out? That is why I would advocate taking none and working to make the home countries better for all concerned.
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    And how many other Somali children have gone through the same thing and are back in their own country still suffering? The point is we cannot take every child from a dreadful third world background. How do you choose who comes and who doesn't? Who lives, who dies? those with enough money to get out? That is why I would advocate taking none and working to make the home countries better for all concerned.

Of course we should be resolving the issues that result in people feeling that they have no alternative in life other than seeking safety elsewhere. In the meanwhile though we, and other wealthy countries, should do our bit to help the small percentage of them that we can.

I imagine that the same people stating that they should all be shipped off back to "wherever they come from" are the self same people who object to foreign aid.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

my thoughts exactly, we are all human beings, i hope these poor kids get the help they need
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OMG soon we won't be able to say anything! "Our own" starts at home, "our own family", our own community, our own neighbourhood, our own country, our own people etc etc.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course we should be resolving the issues that result in people feeling that they have no alternative in life other than seeking safety elsewhere. In the meanwhile though we, and other wealthy countries, should do our bit to help the small percentage of them that we can.

I imagine that the same people stating that they should all be shipped off back to "wherever they come from" are the self same people who object to foreign aid.

I disagree if that means bringing a few of them here because that salves people's conscience and nothing else is done. Meanwhile, thousands of kids are raped, mutilated and killed across Africa and the Middle East and no one gives a shit. 2000 people killed in a day in Baga, hardly made the news. 147 massacred at a Kenyan uni, Yazidi babies buried alive...the carry on at Calais gives our and other governments an excuse to ignore terrible atrocities going on every day.
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well perhaps those who don't should get another job then. Who works in SS and cherry picks which cases they want to deal with??

But it wont be immigrants, illegal or otherwise, that bring social service to its kne catellyou that much.

Your right there. SS grim catalogue of incompetence will finally see to that.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the way to pay for all this is to transfer the cost from the international development budget. After all, we'd be spending that money (supposedly) on improving the lot of children abroad - so if abroad has come here, use it here and send less financial support overseas.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    You seem to be really confused.

Anyone can come here and claim asylum, they dont have to have had a child living here. Children are not given citizenship while still a minor as the process takes too long (if they come here in their teens).

You said

[IThat's an easy one, get the children over first, give them time to be found and looked after then want to be re-united with their 'lost' children - the kids won't be sent back to Calais but the 'parent' will come here - human rights 'n all that - it then gives them a foot hold in this country.

Those do-gooders who've set asylum advice centers in the camps over there will have told them that one.]

Implying there is some secret way of getting asylum here because you have a child (adult or minor) here and said it gives them a foot hold in the country. That is not true. For anyone claiming asylum, they have to wait until they have citizenship until they can apply for a visa for relatives to come over.

If children come over with their parents, or a parent arrives later after their child, of course they are reunited with their child (after assessment to check their parenting is safe). You are talking about countries where foster care doesnt exist, its not the done thing, children are looked after by their community or relatives not foster carers out of their community so there is nothing to be gained by the child being 'looked after' by social services.

So what you're saying is that if a parent/guardian in Calais manages to get their child into the UK there's no way they can be re-united until either a) the child reaches adulthood or b) the parent in Calais is granted asylum here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what you're saying is that if a parent/guardian in Calais manages to get their child into the UK there's no way they can be re-united until either a) the child reaches adulthood or b) the parent in Calais is granted asylum here?

I know its hard for you, but try to read what I wrote...

If children come over with their parents, or a parent arrives later after their child, of course they are reunited with their child (after assessment to check their parenting is safe).
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member

Maggie

You're making this very personal. It's almost as if you feel guilty about your lack of compassion for vulnerable children.