Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -ajm- wrote:
    But The Wanted live there don't they?

They might as well do, they get involved in every single Capital event going! I wonder why that is? ;) :rolleyes:
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might as well do, they get involved in every single Capital event going! I wonder why that is? ;) :rolleyes:

Yeah i wonder too!

Surprised the "usual suspects" haven't been on to enlighten us;)
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    On the Capital FM website (http://www.capitalfm.com/artists/the-wanted/news/jay-hijacks-james-barr/) it says:

During The Wanted's takeover of Capitalfm.com , we fooled James Barr into thinking he was recording a section of his show, and convinced Jay from The Wanted to storm the studio and take over the controls.
    Why wouldn't they just record the link again then?

The whole premise is that it was a fake show ("So today we tricked James Barr by getting one of the The Wanted boys to gatecrash a 'fake' show" was how they first phrased it on the Facebook page) - hence "we fooled James Barr into thinking he was recording a section of his show".
  • SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    What is there to add?

Would you like me to say that it's wrong for a radio group to be fully behind one of their own extremely popular bands?
  • Sandy Heath 103Sandy Heath 103 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    wckartist wrote: »

Wind that hook in.
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    The whole premise is that it was a fake show ("So today we tricked James Barr by getting one of the The Wanted boys to gatecrash a 'fake' show" was how they first phrased it on the Facebook page) - hence "we fooled James Barr into thinking he was recording a section of his show".

It says "recording a section of his show", as you just quoted, you can also see Cool Edit running on the machines recording this, in reality you wouldn't stress, you'd simply record that link/section again. Obviously this is a fake/stunt though, so it doesn't matter.
  • Sandy Heath 103Sandy Heath 103 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Obviously this is a stunt though, so it doesn't matter.

Exactly.

It's fun. It's showbiz. It's a laugh. It's entertainment.

Nobody died.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I think the only crime here was it was bobbins!
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says "recording a section of his show", as you just quoted, you can also see Cool Edit running on the machines recording this, in reality you wouldn't stress, you'd simply record that link/section again. Obviously this is a fake/stunt though, so it doesn't matter.

In reality yes but the use of the words "fooled" and "fake show" by Capital would indicate it's not reality.
  • NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Suprised to hear on drivetime yesterday a seperate travel presenter on Capital NE drivetime, called JoJo, any other stations done this?
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Suprised to hear on drivetime yesterday a seperate travel presenter on Capital NE drivetime, called JoJo, any other stations done this?

We had a double header breakfast show this morning.
  • Dave_GosportDave_Gosport Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    -ajm- wrote: »
    We had a double header breakfast show this morning.

Yeah, On Capital South Coast was Adam Inker and Toni Phillips. It was nice to hear her again! If anyone remembers from the good old Power FM days she use to be on the evening show. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    What is the point in the Vodafone Big Top 40? Why don't they just do the top 10, because they do the chart from 40 downwards but if you look at their website a couple of hours later after the chart and they've changed the numbers round outside the top 10, so they waste about two hours on a part of the chart that isn't even official.

a. if they play a song at say number 18 and then during the show due to a lot of downloads it drops into the live top 10 then it gets played twice?
    b. they miss out songs in the chart if it doesn't really fit capital's playlist, but then won't name the songs in between they will just jump from like 37 to 34 with no mention of who the records were in between
    c. as 40-11 are based on airplay and itunes downloads, tunes like adele - rolling in the deep are still in the chart like 44 weeks after it first charted because stations like capital just murder the songs.

i actually like the show, because the production is awesome and rich and kat have grown on me since i first listened, and the top 10 is of course official, but it sometimes seems a bit pointless for the first 2 hours as none of it is really official, its just what they feel like playing.

i hope this post makes sense lol
  • mbessexmbessex Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is there to add?

Would you like me to say that it's wrong for a radio group to be fully behind one of their own extremely popular bands?

Yep please
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    mbessex wrote: »
    Yep please

In that case send us a link to the public forum where you slag off Carcraft for promoting We Buy Any Car. Or any commercial company promoting a successful product of theirs. Oh, yeah.

Sure are bitter aren't you? What's your gripe? Get it out in the open...you'll feel much better.
  • johnny radishjohnny radish Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    In that case send us a link to the public forum where you slag off Carcraft for promoting We Buy Any Car. Or any commercial company promoting a successful product of theirs. Oh, yeah.

Sure are bitter aren't you? What's your gripe? Get it out in the open...you'll feel much better.

I think you're getting a bit mixed up there mate !

Carcraft's content is used cars, people search for a car,any other products that are on that site are optional.

Radio stations choose the music they play...

Do I really need to continue the rest??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I think you're getting a bit mixed up there mate !

Carcraft's content is used cars, people search for a car,any other products that are on that site are optional.

Radio stations choose the music they play...

Do I really need to continue the rest??

You are missing the point. The original question was:

"Would you like me to say that it's wrong for a radio group to be fully behind one of their own extremely popular bands?"

Answer: no, it isn't. Commercial companies are out to make money. They do that in a variety of ways - in this case Global are rightly behind one of their own products (The Wanted) as it serves to promote both parties. Let's not get bogged down in the details; it's the money that is the key when you boil it down.

My analogy isn't the best earlier but I've seen your posts and you are a smart poster so you'll know what I mean... ;)
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Would you like me to say that it's wrong for a radio group to be fully behind one of their own extremely popular bands?"

Answer: no, it isn't. Commercial companies are out to make money. They do that in a variety of ways - in this case Global are rightly behind one of their own products (The Wanted) as it serves to promote both parties. Let's not get bogged down in the details; it's the money that is the key when you boil it down.

My analogy isn't the best earlier but I've seen your posts and you are a smart poster so you'll know what I mean... ;)

The other point is that The Wanted fans - slap bang in Capital's target audience - won't give a damn about the hows or whys.

Having such in-depth knowledge about the behind-the-scenes machinations can often blind us to how the station's output is perceived by the audience.

Anybody want to argue that this little stunt isn't spot-on?
  • Richard O'HaganRichard O'Hagan Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    The Wanted storming in
    It's hardly product placement is it!

Is it?

Um..
    Forum Member

You are right of course , and on that specific point I agree.

The wider point is undue prominence and should a music station be connected so closely to any record label/management company etc, that the addition of their tracks onto the playlist a forgone conclusion.

It's not new, EMAP did it a lot in the late 90s, they signed Mucho Mambo Sway by Shaft, Scott and Leon You used to hold me, Alena Turn it Around , they wanted to sign Shanks and Bigfoot Sweet like Chocolate and All Seeing Eye The Beat goes on. Wildstar did it with Capital , Craig David & China Black etc.

It's a match made in heaven really and makes perfect common sense.

If we were watching the Audi channel, would we be suprised to see Audi cars in the programmes?

The logical conclusion would be as Global sign more artists, and buy old publishing deals, eventually could we have a station that's music is totally proprietary ?

There is nothing to stop them doing that.
    Forum Member
    I should add that when Emap did it they owned The Box music channel (big in it's day) Smash Hits, Just 17 ?? Heat etc etc

All those played a part in promoting their artists in a way that was probably disproportionate with the popularity of the the tracks .

That said, and the same applies to The Wanted, the publicity eventually increases the popularity, and if the product isn't half bad it will work.

I remember maybe 2000 Capital were involved with a god awful record that sampled Heart Of Glass , I remember foxy trying to be positive about it one day, it was dreadful and even though Capital hammered it it never got anywhere ! Heart tried to revive Lee Ryans career a coupkle of years ago , as Ashley was involved in a relaunch . That didn't come to anything eitherr.

So the product has still got to be right.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    On the one hand I don't think a publicity stunt by The Wanted is much of a problem in itself. So long as that is all it is.

Anything which remotely smells of undue prominence, though, is a legitimate area for questioning. Should the same band keep turning up, and no similar bands be given the same kind of opportunity, then other record labels and management companies would have a case to bring to OFCOM.

A few weeks ago The Guardian skirted around the delicate subject of payola, and linking the idea of product placement to large radio companies, without actually saying anything out loud (ie : suggesting any wrongdoing by any party). I reckon that's as far as the article. COULD go since they had no evidence to the contrary.
  • mbessexmbessex Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH wrote: »
    The other point is that The Wanted fans - slap bang in Capital's target audience - won't give a damn about the hows or whys.

Having such in-depth knowledge about the behind-the-scenes machinations can often blind us to how the station's output is perceived by the audience.

Anybody want to argue that this little stunt isn't spot-on?

If you look at the world through a rather simplistic window then no. But you have a monoply supplier ( Well I can't just open up an FM station in london ) who promotes its own product more than other peoples products it just dont smell right, the audience might not care, that is not the point.
  • BluedabadeeBluedabadee Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the stunt was funny, I had a laugh and I really don't like The Wanted.

you have got to see though that Capital promote The Wanted more than any other bands like JLS for example. Now, JLS when they first got a record deal and the station Capital was just in London were always on Rich & Kat's show or lingering about at Capital. It's very rare now that you see JLS or hear of JLS at Capital.
    Forum Member
    the stunt was funny, I had a laugh and I really don't like The Wanted.

you have got to see though that Capital promote The Wanted more than any other bands like JLS for example. Now, JLS when they first got a record deal and the station Capital was just in London were always on Rich & Kat's show or lingering about at Capital. It's very rare now that you see JLS or hear of JLS at Capital.

Good point, and true.

The Wanted weren't established then though, and the core point would be, all things being equal, who would gain more exposure?

Some would argue that The Wanted are as established as JLS now. In reality it would be impossible to claim undue prominence with anything associated with The wanted at this time, they are simply too big.

If something unfortunate was to happen, some sleazy scandal with one of the members, that made the playing of their records impossible by Radio 1, Bauer etc, and Global kept pushing the song and the band , then there may be a case. Even then, Global could argue that they just like the song.