Options

Asexuality

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
Forum Member
✭✭
I was really just wondering what people's opinions on this were. I was having a debate the other day with a friend, and she said something along the lines of 'there's no such thing as asexuals, they're just scared'. As an asexual, I did rather take umbrage with that.

For the uninformed, asexuality does not mean being unattracted to either gender; it means a general lack of physical attraction. Some asexuals form romantic (but not sexual) attractions to people - you can be heteroromantic, homoromantic, biromantic etc - and some never form romantic attractions, being aromantic.

There are lots of grey areas too, for example, demisexuality, whereby you only form sexual attractions after a lengthy emotional connection with a person.

As an asexual, I personally am a bit fed up of the discrimination I suffer from other people. It's a pain in the bum being told that you're just 'waiting to meet the right person'. To me, it's the same as telling a gay person that they're waiting for the right person to make them straight.

I don't know. What do people think? Do people think there should be more education about it?

Comments

• Options
    dalemandaleman Posts: 226,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you should worry about It,you are not harming anybody so just enjoy life and do what you want, when you want
  • Options
    LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You live your life how you want to.
    So long as nobody is getting hurt and it's legal then sod what anyone else thinks.
    life's too short to worry about it, enjoy.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life would so less complicated if you never had feelings towards another
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure I recall Cliff Richard saying in an interview he is asexual. I don't see it as a problem - in fact for some reason I see it as pretty cool...not being driven by animal instincts...
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really just wondering what people's opinions on this were. I was having a debate the other day with a friend, and she said something along the lines of 'there's no such thing as asexuals, they're just scared'. As an asexual, I did rather take umbrage with that.

For the uninformed, asexuality does not mean being unattracted to either gender; it means a general lack of physical attraction. Some asexuals form romantic (but not sexual) attractions to people - you can be heteroromantic, homoromantic, biromantic etc - and some never form romantic attractions, being aromantic.

There are lots of grey areas too, for example, demisexuality, whereby you only form sexual attractions after a lengthy emotional connection with a person.

As an asexual, I personally am a bit fed up of the discrimination I suffer from other people. It's a pain in the bum being told that you're just 'waiting to meet the right person'. To me, it's the same as telling a gay person that they're waiting for the right person to make them straight.

I don't know. What do people think? Do people think there should be more education about it?

Some people think they know your mind better than you do. Just take no notice of what they say. You know what's going on in your mind and that's all that matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »

But then we'd never get to share happy experiences with anyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I'm asexual too. I've never told anyone outside of the internet, I know the sort of responses I'd get. I've had the usual abused as a child/closet gay/attention seeker/haven't met the right person yet etc responses when I've mentioned it online and it'd be worse in real life.

I think it's just difficult for some people to understand. I always felt there was something really wrong with me until I found the aven website.
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you were a lesbian, or is that someone else?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I recall Cliff Richard saying in an interview he is asexual. I don't see it as a problem - in fact for some reason I see it as pretty cool...not being driven by animal instincts...

I don't think he's ever discussed his sexuality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I don't think he's ever discussed his sexuality.

I'm pretty certain that he's alluded to it, if not directly referred to it. It would be a bit of a random thing for me to remember otherwise!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought you were a lesbian, or is that someone else?

I'm a biromantic asexual. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty certain that he's alluded to it, if not directly referred to it. It would be a bit of a random thing for me to remember otherwise!

True, I always thought he was gay though.:o
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I don't believe in placing people into black and white categories, therefore I don't see why people can't be asexual. I thought I was asexual myself for a while, but I've since come to the conclusion that hyposexual or demisexual are more accurate terms for me.
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a biromantic asexual. :)

Whats does that mean if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe in placing people into black and white categories, therefore I don't see why people can't be asexual. I thought I was asexual myself for a while, but I've since come to the conclusion that hyposexual or demisexual are more accurate terms for me.

What does that mean if you mind me asking?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    Whats does that mean if you don't mind me asking?

From what I've read, it means that they're bisexual but that they don't want sexual intercourse (quoted from post 15).
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing its friends and family who make these sort of statements, because nobody else really cares who you are with or not with, or needs to be educated.

Do what you want with your life. It's not a trial run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    From what I've read, it means that they're bisexual but that they don't want sexual intercourse.

How can one be bi sexual if you don't want to partake in sex?

How do you know you are bisexual if you don't have sex to confirm this?

I can understand the idea of being Asexual in that you don't have the desire for sex with another human being
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can understand the idea of being Asexual in that you don't have the desire for sex with another human being

I'm not bisexual, I'm biromantic. I am romantically attracted to both genders, and would enter a relationship with both genders, but don't have the desire to have sex with either gender. :)

I don't need to have sex to know that the idea makes me feel nauseous, haha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I understand this and to me there is nothing wrong with it.

You only feel aroused when you have made a very strong connection to someone mentally or a soul to soul connection.

Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably only wanting to kiss them? I dunno. *shrugs shoulders* The article on Wikipedia indicates that only a romantic connection would happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not bisexual, I'm biromantic. I am romantically attracted to both genders, and would enter a relationship with both genders, but don't have the desire to have sex with either gender. :)

I don't need to have sex to know that the idea makes me feel nauseous, haha.

I see and understand...:) Interesting I have learned something new today.:cool:

Does that mean you have to meet other Biromantics like yourself for the relationship to work?
  • Options
    foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »

Life would cease if we had no feelings towards one another.

Baby: "I'm hungry!" (translation from waaaaaa!):p

Mother: "I don't care"
  • Options
    Chewy DuckChewy Duck Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Have you had your hormone levels checked?