Smooth Radio Christmas Station

NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Smooth have started up a station online that plays Christmas songs 24/7. All the favourite songs are there and no adverts.

I wondered have they done this before ? And what happens when they stop broadcasting after Christmas ?

Comments

• cuttysarkcuttysark Posts: 1,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been on DAB since the beginning of the month.

On air until 26th Dec, was also broadcasting last year.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cuttysark wrote: »
    It's been on DAB since the beginning of the month.

On air until 26th Dec, was also broadcasting last year.

Thanks

If they have a DAB licence they could introduce another station when this station finishes. Smooth 80s perhaps ?
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    We love this, we first found it last year and had it playing in the car for the school run. it brings a little joy to those dark cold mornings.
    Of course it is not to be mixed up with the online smooth christmas radio channel, so is called smooth xmas .
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a thread about this. 2nd year running...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Nailz wrote: »
    Thanks

If they have a DAB licence they could introduce another station when this station finishes. Smooth 80s perhaps ?

Smooth 60's?
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    Thanks

Hope they do a smooth 80s.but most likely it will just close down
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Have they not borrowed some bandwidth from other GMG muxs? (Which would return to their "normal" slots after boxing day).

I would be suprised if they had some spare bandwidth. Otherwise they could use it to provide (say) Smooth 70's in stereo.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this station today and really love it. I do wonder if I will have had enough of it two weeks down the line.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Have they not borrowed some bandwidth from other GMG muxs? (Which would return to their "normal" slots after boxing day).

I would be suprised if they had some spare bandwidth. Otherwise they could use it to provide (say) Smooth 70's in stereo.

They have not borrowed any bandwidth from other GMG stations, they are both still at 80k mono.

Smooth Xmas is using the 64k slot that Amazing Radio vacated at the end of May, and was still empty until the start of November.

It's unknown what will happen to this slot from 27th December.
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    They have not borrowed any bandwidth from other GMG stations, they are both still at 80k mono.

Smooth Xmas is using the 64k slot that Amazing Radio vacated at the end of May, and was still empty until the start of November.

It's unknown what will happen to this slot from 27th December.
    The Smooth Xmas slot could be given to LBC from 27th of December.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    I wish that Smooth Xmas would playout some of the old Casey Kasem AT40 Xmas Specials from years gone past.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allan66 wrote: »
    I wish that Smooth Xmas would playout some of the old Casey Kasem AT40 Xmas Specials from years gone past.
    I think the AT40 xmas special from Christmas day 1971 will be broadcast on smooth 70s on the weekend before Christmas.I've been listening to the casey kasem holiday specials over the last 3 weeks on various U.S stations and they were excellent (nice to hear different tunes and not to hear the same songs over and over again like smooth Xmas have been playing:) )