The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Yeah but it opens up a whole lot more Storyline strands
    The fallout looks outstanding. I think the peak will be towards the end actually.

The aftermath tomorrow looks excellent and continues right into January
    not sure what fall out, other than Max and Tanya splitting up AGAIN, he comes out of the episode, looking the most innocent he has ever looked after one of his affairs.

If he had gotten a divorce like he wanted, she would have had nothing to say to Tanya.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    not sure what fall out, other than Max and Tanya splitting up AGAIN, he comes out of the episode, looking the most innocent he has ever looked after one of his affairs.

If he had gotten a divorce like he wanted, she would have had nothing to say to Tanya.
    Well we don't know the background to the story. Where does this 'Hard Men' come into it? we know very little so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we don't know the background to the story. Where does this 'Hard Men' come into it? we know very little so far.
    I could have done with something less predictable however, I guess we should be thankful that there is no baby in this storyline equation.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Bizarre that C5 aired 3 hours of Eddie Stobart repeats tonight including one that was only on last night!
    The white flag was waved, clearly. Outside of those 1900-2200 hours I expect they'll have been reasonably competitive so it's a shame they didn't follow C4's example and air a recent blockbuster in place of the Stobart repeats. It's never going to be a major night for them, though.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    I could have done with something less predictable however, I guess we should be thankful that there is no baby in this storyline equation.
    I think over the coming episodes we are going to find out more and more of this storyline. The actress played by Kirsty had to keep the secret,secret since April:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think over the coming episodes we are going to find out more and more of this storyline. The actress played by Kirsty had to keep the secret,secret since April:eek:
    fair enough the latest Mrs Max Branning making an appearance herself was shocking, figured it would just be a secret shouted out by someone else, and kudos to the show for keeping it secret like that, but still im not all that surprised by Maxs actions.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Royle Family wasn't great, funny in parts but I think maybe its time to call it a day and wrap it up with a final two episodes.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of good TV today, I expected the Royle Family to disappoint when I saw the large cast listed in the Radio Times and the daft 'corned beef key' joke on the trailers, so I was expecting that. It'll still get over 8m though.

At least everything ran on time, so nothing needs tape checking or adjusting. I'll be back for the fallout tomorrow morning!
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The white flag was waved, clearly. Outside of those 1900-2200 hours I expect they'll have been reasonably competitive so it's a shame they didn't follow C4's example and air a recent blockbuster in place of the Stobart repeats. It's never going to be a major night for them, though.

Channel 5 might pick up for 50 Greatest Christmas Moments as the other channel's big guns are over now. However, all other broadcasters know, barring world cup fnals, this is the only night the two main channels still dominate.
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I cannot wait for the ratings tomorrow morning! I hope there are a lot of surprises!
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Only_You wrote: »
    I cannot wait for the ratings tomorrow morning! I hope there are a lot of surprises!
    We don't want any surprises with the post-Queen films though. Some of us have a lot of money riding on Shrek delivering the goods. :p

Good luck to anyone who had a bet on the ratings today.
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    We don't want any surprises with the post-Queen films though. Some of us have a lot of money riding on Shrek delivering the goods. :p

Good luck to anyone who had a bet on the ratings today.

Haha, Oh I agree with you there Dancc! I have put 1k on that! It's going to be one long night! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »

This is a rare situation where I just can't call it, and all the top programmes could end up in any possible order. There is no clear likely winner and also no clear likely 2nd or 3rd place.

It all depends on what people decided to watch live or record for later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing an extremely powerful EE tonight, after a long period of slow stories and poor ratings, my money would be on EE winning the title tonight, even with strong competition from DA. Runner up, I think, will be DW, where a decent story and poor opposition from ITV will help.
    As ever Auntie should grab 7 of the 10 slots, with DA, CS and Emmerdale taking the other three. DA should be ITV1's winner tonight.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Royle Family wasn't great, funny in parts but I think maybe its time to call it a day and wrap it up with a final two episodes.

It's still a banker for Christmas Day but I agree the show needs putting out of its misery. I do think most of the characters are just charmless caricatures of what they once were. The ending was sweet though.

I think with the rise and rise of MBB it's earned a Xmas Day slot next year, and depending on how Miranda does tomorrow they could easily be paired up in a post-EastEnders slot. The main thing missing from the BBC1 schedule this year was a big laugh-out-loud sitcom which TRF isn't really - even last year we had a half-decent AbFab and Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow. I wouldn't have minded that coming back again this year.
  • CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good night everyone, see you in the morning for some fireworks! Come on EE! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    It's still a banker for Christmas Day but I agree the show needs putting out of its misery. I do think most of the characters are just charmless caricatures of what they once were. The ending was sweet though.

I think with the rise and rise of MBB it's earned a Xmas Day slot next year, and depending on how Miranda does tomorrow they could easily be paired up in a post-EastEnders slot. The main thing missing from the BBC1 schedule this year was a big laugh-out-loud sitcom which TRF isn't really - even last year we had a half-decent AbFab and Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow. I wouldn't have minded that coming back again this year.

TRF was OK, but it seems to be in its twilight years now, but you're right about MBB, this is the comedy hit of the decade now, pairing it with a last ever TRF would be excellent next year. Maybe Jim can land £ 250,000 on a scratchcard and move to the caravan in Wales.
    Anyway goodnight and merry Christmas to you all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miranda probably, with MBB they'd still be riding the gauntlet of the Daily Mail which they could probably do without.

Of course one of 2013's comedies could be a massive hit, or they may launch a new one like they did with The Royal Bodyguard.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a soaps fan but lost the majority vote. Is the acting always so hammy and the plots so predictable?
    Beyond me that these things regularly pull in millions!
  • WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Seeing an extremely powerful EE tonight, after a long period of slow stories and poor ratings, my money would be on EE winning the title tonight, even with strong competition from DA. Runner up, I think, will be DW, where a decent story and poor opposition from ITV will help.
    As ever Auntie should grab 7 of the 10 slots, with DA, CS and Emmerdale taking the other three. DA should be ITV1's winner tonight.

Depending on how well Corrie and DA do and how much of a crossover there is, ITV news could sneak into the Top 10, I still think it could be caable of 6m+, and will probably outrate Emmerdale (which may not make the Top 10 at all).

With regards MBB, thinking about it the BBC probably gave it the best slot possible over the xmas period with the exception of New Years Day at 10pm. Much better to let Royle Family face Downton and protect the 3 shows that are still producing series (Outnumbered, Miranda, MBB) by keeping them away from Downton. So short of going out at 22.45pm on Chirstmas Day in terms of ratingss it probably was more suited to Xmas Eve. Depending on how well Miranda does as a lead in, I still think 9.30pm on Boxing Day could be the highest rating of the xmas period, purely because CTM, EE and TRF are all clashing with Corrie and DA, and Doctor Who is probably on too early. Of course Strictly on the other handcould walk away with the night (possibly where the smart money is)
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,474
    Forum Member

Yes, I don't think BBC One really needs the Royles as badly as it did just a few years ago. They've a couple of returning sitcoms that ought to be capable of doing the required business - and thats without contemplating new shows or another revival (Gavin & Stacey, or whatever).

I also agree it was a shame not to see McIntyre back in the schedules again. I can understand that he wouldn't want to do full series of Roadshow each year (burning through an awful lot of very lucrative stand-up material) - but one-offs at Christmas wouldn't seem too much. It did have the feel of a Christmas tradition-in-the-making last year, so a shame to hear nothing more of it.

Looking forward to tomorrows ratings - though I fear we might be underwhelmed in terms of raw numbers. Britain's two biggest dramas squaring off against Britain's two biggest soaps might wind up making everything seem medium-sized! :p
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    TRF was OK, but it seems to be in its twilight years now, but you're right about MBB, this is the comedy hit of the decade now, pairing it with a last ever TRF would be excellent next year. Maybe Jim can land £ 250,000 on a scratchcard and move to the caravan in Wales.
    Anyway goodnight and merry Christmas to you all.

I do wonder how you would end The Royle Family, the scratchcard idea is okay but I think maybe something like Jim and Barb moving out of the house and the whole family comes back for a final get together before they move out.

Even though the last Ab Fab episode wasn't great, I wouldn't be opposed to another special or maybe the return of another sitcom like Men Behaving Badly or Gavin and Stacey.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly watched anything today. Room on Broom (for the kiddies), Strictly (it was on and looked fun and festive), then a car journey - and back in time for PVR'd Corrie and Emmerdale, which I declined so found other things to do. Caught The Royle Family late on, and it disappointed somewhat.

So perhaps not my greatest festive viewing day ever...

I see we are predicting ratings based on Zeebox and Twitter, and RPG averages. If you want something equally unscientific, but previously vaguely reliable and based on real people sat in their homes watching telly, I did cop a view of around 12 houses with tellies openly on display as I was being driven back between 7.30-8pm. Every single house, all 12, were watching Corrie rather than CTM.

Granted I am in Corrie heartland, but I thought that could be significant. I predicted a win for Corrie in the overnights yesterday, by around 8m to 7.2m and I am sticking by that - in fact, I feel I may have over-estimated CTM.

I have a gut feeling the Beeb may have screwed up here - I now wonder if CTM will overnight below 7m? Of course it will add possibly 3m in the next 7 days, but the reporting tomorrow will be interesting - I think it is going to get tonked by the soap old-timer.

I reckon millions of homes will be saving Downton and CTM for viewing during the rest of this week. I think both those shows pose a threat to the main offerings tomorrow night, it's around 3 hours of period drama and millions will want to see both.

Can make a case for any of EE, Corrie, SCD, DA and DW each topping the night, but I think EE probably will just scrape home but by a fine margin.

I don't think anything will overnight above 9m. Astonished that the CTM average prediction in the RPG is 9.1m!

What are you guys on??!! :eek:

It won't come within a million miles of that.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    The aftermath tomorrow looks excellent and continues right into January

You'd say that if they looped the titles for 30 minutes though Dan :D.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did my annual watch of the misery of Eastenders tonight to remind me of why I don't usually watch it. Same time next year.

From the shows I saw tonight Doctor Who was the best and deserved the best rating, but unfortunately I think it was on too early for that to happen.
This discussion has been closed.