Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    Have to disagree Hooter. They may end up winning - who knows - but they haven't been playing the game well. Their attitude has alienated people, not only on this thread but on the Channel 4 FIAB comments too.

I quite forgot about ch4 comments, must have a read.

I think that the program makers have been well aware since the start of these shows, that in this instance, aiming to win is just a smokescreen to get people to show their true colours for good TV. Works for me, there have been some brilliant hotels and B&Bs over the different series and some which look good, but then the owners shoot themselves in the foot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizaj wrote: »
    It doesn't do you any favours being too critical does it, Here's another place people will be crossing off their list even if they win, Ben and Thomasina..take note you have to come across as pleasant hosts.
    !

Quite an objectionable couple that run the sleazy lap dancing barn.

They thought they had a win on a plate, now they're showing their true colours. Watch for heavy underpayments coming!

Give them and their business a WIDE berth. :mad:
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,676
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Yes indeed, I feel the same. Comments are made sometimes, which give away the fact that they are going on personal taste, but an overall judgement and value for money is what they should be looking at. They might not stay there, but that is not the point.

I made a comment last week about how can you pit a £150-£175 per night room against a £50-£60 room and was told that of course you can.

I don't think I explained myself enough, what I mean is that you should be able to if everyone played fair and by the criteria, but the fact is that increasingly, they don't.

Too many times on this programme we see contestants threatening 'revenge' almost, when they read anything they perceive as negative on their own feedback, even if it's justified and/or constructive; absolutely gleeful if they find some much as a quarter inch cobweb or slight smear of dust, and there's an air of relish at anything less than absolute perfection.

More than that, far too often the judgements are based on personal taste and without any regard whatsoever for the target market.

It was refreshing to see Eli and Jason complimenting Gill and scoring her place so highly - it's probably not the destination or kind of accommodation that they'd normally choose, but they concentrated on all the positives and as a result got some good feelings for them into the bargain.
    It wouldn't be my choice either, but it looked like a fair assessment, although as to value for money against local competition? I'm not so sure. On the other hand, it's very hard for a small business like that to be cost effective.

I also wonder what the rates are really like? I remember being told that they can set any rate they like and it should be made clear really if it's high season rate or what and with so many discounting, the high rack rates might be deterring sensible guests who can shop around.
    jamtamara wrote: »
    ... As suggested earlier, maybe the production team do set them up but in a very subtle way. It is odd that we have had two misunderstandings in a short space of time when we have never had them before. Surely there is justified cause for suspicion.

Well, the headline for the series says
    Series Summary Four in a Bed:
    The battle is on as four very different B&B owners take turns to host each other and compete

It's getting increasingly difficult to judge given the huge price variations, given the difference between owner-run versus lots of professional staff and all the range of facilities.
    Too many people say that it's fantastic but I'd never spend that kind of money, which isn't an appraisal is it.

It's also tricky when you have establishments like the glamping and Ben's barns who don't usually provide breakfast.

I thought it was pretty stupid that they all had to sit outside in their coats waiting for breakfast this week and that there was no attempt at proper service because it's not what they usually do. They should have provided a nice quality breakfast pack, continental if needs be and said that they don't usually do breakfast anyway. Same as on the Yellow not-Submarine.

Either do it properly, or don't do it in my book.

Two complete asides -
    I do like it when we see some real characters at bedtime. This week it's been Graham and Terry for me, with their Joseph multi coloured dressing gowns and all the seaside paraphernalia last night :D

And lastly, what's going on with Ben's comment in the clip about being the only one who owns his establishment?
    What's that got to do with the competition anyway?
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening..
  • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This place looks very nice doesn't it? I missed what part of the country it's in.
    Forum Member
    Evening - just got back in by the skin of my teeth.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben and tamsin are only "friends"???
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    SueG wrote: »
    This place looks very nice doesn't it? I missed what part of the country it's in.

Bedfordshire.

Looks great and not bad value either.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I smack thomasin in the mouth?
    Forum Member

Get in the queue !!!!
    Forum Member
    This Jason seems a nice guy. That couple really have it in for him all because they thought he had marked them down when he had not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the guy's place.

Ben and Thomasin getting on my nerves.
    Forum Member
    DamienS wrote: »
    Ben and tamsin are only "friends"???

That sounded quite pointed - but they don't ask for a twin or separate rooms...
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Bedfordshire.

Looks great and not bad value either.

I like the look of it so far, very smart and very clean. I was :D when Gill said do they put the shower drain traps in the dishwasher. They also seem like fab hosts.

Speaking now of breakfast, I did a treat this morning, will have to upload the evidence ;)
  • ms2608ms2608 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben being very harsh on Jason, even taking account of the fact that he thinks it was Jason who marked them down, he's out of order.
  • OndineOndine Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Branston baked beans. Good choice!
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the first half, looks nice though. Brownie points for having beans; I'm common & need beans with my fry up.
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with toast in a basket.

Bloater complaining about a big portion. LOL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    be with you after +1 I really can't wait for tonight but I can't miss the Chase either. This is an interesting week after all
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with toast in a basket.

To be perfectly honest I like hot toast but if it's wrapped in a basket I find it steams. It's a moot point.

Here's my breakfast today (taken after I was going to dig into it) The only thing I don't take responsibility for is the chopped parsley garnish, provided by Mr Sail...I'd have used chives but they're outside under a dump of snow :D
    It's poached smoked haddock and yes, a poached egg not done in a poaching pan!

Ben was unnecessarily rude to Jason tonight :mad:
    Forum Member
    SolarSail wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest I like hot toast but if it's wrapped in a basket I find it steams. It's a moot point.

Here's my breakfast today (taken after I was going to dig into it) The only thing I don't take responsibility for is the chopped parsley garnish, provided by Mr Sail...I'd have used chives but they're outside under a dump of snow :D

I like poached haddock. It looks great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »

Yum yum! One of my favourite meals!

Agree with you about Ben.
    Forum Member
    I like poached haddock. It looks great.

Thank you :)
    Yum yum! One of my favourite meals!

I only posted it because of all the previous egg chats on here and I noticed a couple of 'poached' eggs this week were done in a poaching pod/pan which ends up more like a flat boiled egg in the end.
    These turned out nicely because they were eggs gifted as a thank you present and came straight from the coop.

Cooked breakfast is a benefit of working from home and the haddock is from a local smokery.
  • Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone doesn't punch Ben and slap Thomasin tomorrow night, there is no justice in this world.

I wouldn't stay at Ben's place, even if it was a palace, with a spa, dinner included and £25 a night. What a p**t!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...and put my hands around Ben's neck. What has he got against Jason..oh yes his accent.
    Note to Ben: you are not endearing yourself to potential customers , you dimwit!
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    Have to disagree Hooter. They may end up winning - who knows - but they haven't been playing the game well. Their attitude has alienated people, not only on this thread but on the Channel 4 FIAB comments too.

Agree with you tommo..They`ve done themselves no favours as regards what us ordinary folks think of them. The pair of them are ghastly as far as I`m concerned. What I meant was this, that I think they`ve possibly underpaid the others and, therefore, given themselves a good chance of winning.! A hollow victory.... I think their attitude has done lasting damage to their business..
This discussion has been closed.