FAQ (Some of them)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow - bordering on rude some of these recent posts. Especially as Brian is doing all this work for the benfit of everyone else for free.

Brian well done for keeping your responses measured with some of those recent posts. I am sure you are amendable to constructive suggestions but wouldnt be suprised if you are now wondering why you bother! Keep up the good work.

I happen to agree that its not the best format for an FAQ, and for me I wish it was easier to use. I can't think of anyway to improve it myself though. Still its better than nothing and loads of people I am sure are using this for their own research.

TIP: if you want someone to help you or do something for you, it helps to be nice. he he. :):)
  • brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Wow - bordering on rude some of these recent posts. Especially as Brian is doing all this work for the benfit of everyone else for free.

Brian well done for keeping your responses measured with some of those recent posts. I am sure you are amendable to constructive suggestions but wouldnt be suprised if you are now wondering why you bother! Keep up the good work.

I happen to agree that its not the best format for an FAQ, and for me I wish it was easier to use. I can't think of anyway to improve it myself though. Still its better than nothing and loads of people I am sure are using this for their own research.

TIP: if you want someone to help you or do something for you, it helps to be nice. he he. :):)

Thanks for the compliments.

For my next cumulative post I will put the 'Contents;
    in one post and 20 FAQs in each of subsequent posts. Readers will just have to identify the post they are interested in in the first post, and then look it up in the block of 20 below.

Hopefully the number of FAQs will die down now the first buyers have checked it out.
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    jblackmore wrote:
    Sorry, I just realised this - can a moderator fix this, as clearly this is very annoying, and forum settings need to be fixed so posts can be edited at any time!!

If editing were to be allowed to continue for a long time then edited posts would most likely not be seen by anyone following the thread. Editing should only be done shortly after posting and ideally before there are any following posts.

Colin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    Well thinking of ways to improve... maybe something like:

http://www.ourcottage.plus.com/faq.htm

This took me 5 minutes in Microsoft Word to "tart up" one of the posts above and has the advanatge that one can go back and edit it anytime.

To me it just seems like the obvious way to do a FAQ on a forum where post #1 cannot be repeatedly re-edited (which is a pretty crap limitation by the way).

Maybe the mods would allow just one last mod. to post #1 to put in it a link to a URL where the "official" FAQ was maintained? (not my URL by the way!!!)

Cliff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:

This took me 5 minutes in Microsoft Word to "tart up" one of the posts above and has the advanatge that one can go back and edit it anytime.

To me it just seems like the obvious way to do a FAQ on a forum where post #1 cannot be repeatedly re-edited (which is a pretty crap limitation by the way).

Maybe the mods would allow just one last mod. to post #1 to put in it a link to a URL where the "official" FAQ was maintained? (not my URL by the way!!!)

Cliff

One good location for a consolidated list of FAQ/bugs/softare update fixes would be wispers humax website
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    wispers humax website
    'Scuse my ignorance - what's that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:
    'Scuse my ignorance - what's that?

Cliff Actually I dont know if this web site is live and being used/updated. Its at:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/whisper/
    Forum Member
    Well I'm more than happy to host it on my site but NOT get involved in maintaining it (I spent many years maintaining http://web.ukonline.co.uk/cliff.lawson/questind.htm for my sins and don't want to do that again!!). If anyone's interested I'll give you FTP details of how to upload to my site.

Cliff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJL wrote:

Cliff

You are welcome to convert the FAQs to a web site and post the link on this forum.
    I will quote the link at the top of the next cumulative edition.
    Forum Member
    brian9200T wrote:
    You are welcome to convert the FAQs to a web site
    Ah no - that's EXACTLY what I DON'T want to get involved in doing. I'm just saying that anyone with 5 minutes on their hands, a copy of MS Word and an FTP program could throw this together in no time.

Cliff
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    Cliff Actually I dont know if this web site is live and being used/updated. Its at:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/whisper/

I'm a bit confused (not un-usual :) ) Is that link to the same as this one, it looks different to me?:-
    http://www.hummy.org.uk/forum/

Colin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    creddish wrote:
    I'm a bit confused (not un-usual :) ) Is that link to the same as this one, it looks different to me?:-
    http://www.hummy.org.uk/forum/

Colin

??

The web address and contents are different.
    Marc
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    ??

The web address and contents are different.
    Marc

I see some one has already copied part of Brians FAQ to the "Hummy" forum.

Colin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    creddish wrote:

Colin

Ah
    Forum Member
    creddish wrote:
    I'd have thought they were on very thin ice there - surely anything posted here becomes the copyright of DigitalSpy - that's certainly true on most forums.

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    To me, that Hummy site looks useful, and because has it's focused on the one machine it's far faster than the DS site which is far more general. However, I wonder if anyone asked Brian for permission to copy the contents of his FAQ list?

Tim.

Oh - and it is sponsored by one importer, so it's never going to be completely impartial, is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    creddish wrote:

Colin

Fame at last.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fudge1200 wrote:
    To me, that Hummy site looks useful, and because has it's focused on the one machine it's far faster than the DS site which is far more general. However, I wonder if anyone asked Brian for permission to copy the contents of his FAQ list?

Tim.

Oh - and it is sponsored by one importer, so it's never going to be completely impartial, is it?

As far as my rights are concerned I place them in the public domain. It is however polite (and useful) to acknowledge the source.)
    Forum Member
    brian9200T wrote:
    As far as my rights are concerned I place them in the public domain. It is however polite (and useful) to acknowledge the source.)

Mike on the Hummy forum did acknowledge he had found the information on DS and credited the info to yourself.

Colin
    Forum Member
    AFAIK we all give up any personal rights we may have to what we've typed as soon as we click the "submit post" button. Pearls of wisdom then become the copyright of Digital Spy Limited (see (c) at bottom of this and every page)

Cliff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New FAQ

Q0050: ‘Time Bar’ Tow functions for faster navigation. (Not mentioned in User Manual.)
    A0050:

Arrow keys.
    …………. when playing the buffer I pressed the PLAY button. I then pressed the arrow button to the left of the OK button to see if this did anything. This brought up a small window just above the ‘Time Bar’ on the right. The arrows to the left and right of the OK button can then be used to move to any point in the buffer without the need to fast rewind or fast forward. When you press OK the buffer jumps straight to that point. I have since discovered that this can also be used in exactly the same way when playing back recordings.
    (Source: Post 17 by Clanchief to ‘Buffer Lost……..’ thread 13NOV2005)

Number keys.
    When watching TV (buffered or live) if you type in the time that you want to go back to using the number keys it will automatically bring up the ‘Time Bar’ and enter the time that you entered in the little box (the one that usually appears if you press play followed by the left or right arrows). Then press okay and it will take you straight to the timepoint you wanted.

So, if it's 19:26 and you want to rewind back to a program that started at 18:00, just type 1800 in with the number keys and hitting okay will take you directly to 18:00 hours.

Same thing with recordings except you type in the number of minutes that you want, so if you are at 18 mins and want to rewind to 15 mins just type in 0015 and hot okay.

This must be the fastest way to navigate the buffer or a recording, rather than using fast forward/rewind or the arrow keys.
    (Source: Sdesign’s post number 1 to ‘Tip: Navigation using numbers’ thread on 16NOV2005).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revised

Q0050: ‘Time Bar’ Two functions for faster navigation. (Not mentioned in User Manual.)
    A0050:

Arrow keys.
    …………. when playing the buffer I pressed the PLAY button. I then pressed the arrow button to the left of the OK button to see if this did anything. This brought up a small window just above the ‘Time Bar’ on the right. The arrows to the left and right of the OK button can then be used to move to any point in the buffer without the need to fast rewind or fast forward. When you press OK the buffer jumps straight to that point. I have since discovered that this can also be used in exactly the same way when playing back recordings.
    (Source: Post 17 by Clanchief to ‘Buffer Lost……..’ thread 13NOV2005)

Number keys.
    When watching TV (buffered or live) if you press 'play' then type in the time that you want to go back to using the number keys it will automatically bring up the ‘Time Bar’ and enter the time that you entered in the little box (the one that usually appears if you press play followed by the left or right arrows). Then press okay and it will take you straight to the timepoint you wanted.

So, if it's 19:26 and you want to rewind back to a program that started at 18:00, press 'Play' then type 1800 in with the number keys and hitting okay will take you directly to 18:00 hours.

Same thing with recordings except you type in the number of minutes that you want, so if you are at 18 mins and want to rewind to 15 mins just type in 0015 and hot okay.

This must be the fastest way to navigate the buffer or a recording, rather than using fast forward/rewind or the arrow keys.
    (Source: Sdesign’s post number 1 to ‘Tip: Navigation using numbers’ thread on 16NOV2005).

Now includes comment
    Source:Post 6 by tonycollinetto 'Tip:Navigation...' thread. 16NOV2005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New FAQ
    Q0051: Clock/Time
    A0051:
    my box seems to lose time when in standby.. i have compared it to another freeview box in the same room. it changes between 5-15 secs later than the standard freeview box. i have had it a full ten minutes out before (after an hour of standby.) the box corrects itself once the box is brought out of standby.
    (Post 3 by givemestella to ‘PVR-9200T Losing time’ thread.)

According to the FAQ on the Humax website: The time used in the Humax clock is the time sent down in the stream of the current channel in accordance to the DVB specifications. If the broadcasters are sending the time incorrectly by 5 minutes, then this is what will be displayed by the receiver. If you change to a different channel then the time on the clock may change, you must take this into account when using the timers.
    (Post 4 by sdesign to ‘PVR-9200T Losing time’ thread.)

Cuurent conclusion:- If your box steadily loses time or loses it completely then ring Humax support. They can probably fix it.
    If the time sometimes is incorrect by a fixed amount while on a particular channel then it seems an inherent problem. If it means that for you the box it is unsuitable then ask for a refund.
    I will revise this faq in light of further posts to the ‘PVR-9200T Losing time’ thread.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New FAQ

Q0052: Wrong sound or No sound.
    I recorded the second episode of Rome last Wednesday on the 9200T, and we got sound, but instead of the actors' voices, it was a plot summary read by an actor. Was this part of the original broadcast or did the Humax pick up another signal for the soundtrack?

A0052: I can select between the Two soundtracks on this recording using the 'soundtrack' button (Button K on page GB11)under the flap.
    Post 9 by Barry to ‘Rome 2nd Episode’ thread.16NOV2005)

I just skipped through a few channels and checked for alternate soundtracks. Some had one, some didn’t. It may depend on the program. On Sky News which had an alternate sound track I selected it and got ….’No Sound’.
    Not a panacea for ‘No Sound’ but at least try pressing button K and selecting the other soundtrack. If you still have a recording you gave up on it may still have the sound on the alternate sound track. Brian9200T.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FAQs Cumulative 3rd Edition. Contents on first post,1-20 on 2nd, 21-40 on 3rd , 41-52 on 4th

(To jump quickly to this page remember it is at the top of page 5 of the thread.)

FAQ’s …some of them. Third edition including all previous FAQs and corrections, so you don’t need to further back…only perhaps further forward.
    I would like others to keep use of this thread to a minimum so that the FAQs are easier to find.
    However I would also like constructive comments on the FAQs and pointers to suitable posts that might be added.
    See Q0038 for best threads for new questions.

“I only see so far because I stand on the shoulders of giants”-Isaac Newton

I will try to acknowledge source of the answers. I will also try to minimize editing of the original posts to reduce the risk that I ruin them.

See also Humax UK’s own FAQs at http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/ Click on support, then FAQ. (No specific group FAQs on 9200T as at 8NOV2005)
    See also Humax Global Web Site: http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/

The questions are listed first on their own to speed your search, then repeated with the answers.

Contents
    Q0001: How do I record a series on weekdays only?

Q0002. How do I get the buttons on the navigation bar to work as per GB36?

Q0003: How to I quickly get to the start of a recording?

Q0004: How to I workaround the limit of 20 timers?

Q0005: The machine takes a long time to come out of standby and sometimes has problems when it does.

Q0006: How do I record the program I have already been watching up to 2 hours as long as no more than 2 programs will be recorded simultaneously as a result?/ Instant Recording Page GB31 of User Manual.

Q0007: How do I get it working when it is locked up with a frozen picture?

Q0008: How do I get information about the next programme quickly?

Q0009: The ‘Edit’ function (User Manual GB36 & 7) can split a recorded programme. Why would I want to do that?

Q0010: What is the best way to select and playback a recorded programme?

Q0011: The cover over the lower buttons of the remote control gets in the way sometimes?

Q0012: Why does the spec suggest that the VCR/DVD Player Scart is not a means of input?

Q0013: What does the ‘Source’ button do?

Q0014: How can I make it easier to read the Program Names on the ‘recorded programmes list?

Q0015: How can I see what programs are being recorded while watching a live program?

Q0016: All my TV or all my Radio recordings are missing when I …Menu>Recordings>Recorded Programmes?

Q0017:For quite a few channels ( mostly bbc) there are two channels in the program list, not that it is a problem, the only niggle is that the weaker of the two has took up residence in the place where I would of expected the stronger of the two to be EG BBC1 is on 800 and 1 I live in Yorkshire and the main transmitter is Emley Moor yet it is the Bilsdale tx that occupiesa channel 1 and this channel is totally un-viewable!!!

Q0018:New box switches itself off at midnight.

Q0019: I've got the aerial cable looped through, so out of the wall socket, into the 9200T and then out of there into the TV.
    Now I noticed that when I'm watching via the Scart on AV1 on my TV that I see what's going on on another terrestrial channel. If I unplug the RF loop then it goes away.

Q0020: Where does it get its software updates and EPG info from? Is it another 4tv based machine?

Q0021: Which channel is my Humax picking its signal up from for example BBC1?

Q0022: Transfer of recorded programmes to the PC via USB does not seem to work properly.

Q0023: How to start watching, from the beginning, a program that is being recorded...as long as it is the only one being recorded at that time.

Q0024: What is the point in contacting Humax when many other people have the same problem?

Q0025: The only missed recordings I have had (2 of them)…

Q0026: Fitting a bigger Hard Drive/Problems transferring to /from a PC.
    See: http://www.pvruk.com/2004/04/humax_pvr8000t_.html

Q0027: I set timers for two consecutive programmes on the same channel and padded them. The second did not record.

Q0028: One way to play a recording transferred from Humax to PC.

Q0029: A recorded tv programme file transferred from the Humax to a PC has no file type. What suffix should I add?

Q0030: Strange icon. This particular icon is more misunderstood than most.
    In the date box on the RECORDED PROGRAMME screen for one recording there is an unusual icon for which I can find no reference in the manual. It is a yellow box, overlaid at the bottom left hand side with a green oval. Inside the oval is a white rectangle (landscape orientation)

Q0031: Some options are greyed out on menus.

Q0032: What all-in-one remotes work with the 9200T

Q0033: Help with all-in-one learning function.

Q0034: The 9200 fails to record scheduled radio programmes if the unit is left in standby.

Q0035: No sound on some recordings

Q0036: How do I know if I am running out of disk space?

Q0037: When will Humax release an update to the software?

Q0038: Where is the the best place for new questions?

Q0039: "channel viewing restricted by recording" message
    If you can record two channels and watch another; why is it that sometimes when I'm recording two channels I can't watch certain other channels. Eg I was recording ITV1 and BBC2 last night at the same time and could watch BBCs1,2,3 ITV1,2 C4 but not BBC4, ITVs3,4 and C5 - for those channels an on screen message said or something like that.(Source:Post 40 by jonjoe to FAQ thread.)

Q0040: When I prss Playlist it only shows Video recordings.

Q0041: Recording stops halfway through the programme.

Q0042: How do I get rid of wavy lines on analogue Channel 5?

Q0043: Effect of lost aerial signal on recording.

Q0044: Instant Recording Problems

Q0045: Recorded programmes with dates in the future (Posted by South.)

Q0046: My Media E Linker software is not 2.1

Q0047 : How do I transfer a file to my PC?
    The questions are repeated below with the answers.

Q0048 : Problem when recording channels from Multiplex 2(Post 261 to this thread by Taralabradog.)
    (Problems with sound have been posted to two other threads in particular ‘Replicable No Sound..’ and ‘ No sound on recordings’)

Q0049: Upload of MP3s crashes.
    After many attempts at uploading MP3's to my PVR and it always crashing when it got to about record 900 out of 1100 tracks (total size only 2.8gb) and with a lot of assistance from Humax support (including a PVR swap out which still failed), Humax have today confirmed the bug - see email below:

Q0050: ‘Time Bar’ Two functions for faster navigation. (Not mentioned in User Manual.)

Q0051: Clock/Time

Q0052: Wrong sound or No sound.
    I recorded the second episode of Rome last Wednesday on the 9200T, and we got sound, but instead of the actors' voices, it was a plot summary read by an actor. Was this part of the original broadcast or did the Humax pick up another signal for the soundtrack?