Options

Show Humax your Top 10 software issues to address

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Further to the suggestions made by Oscarsfriend, this thread is a place to collect the top 10 issues with the machine that should be addressed. Please keep to items that is reasonably possible to improve via software (i.e. not 'an ethernet port').

Any new features should be in the Wish list sticky thread and not this one

So if you have any niggles, issues or bugs with the software put them in a maximum top ten and keep as concise as possible. These can then be collected at certain points and also handed over to Humax so they can see what matters.

I have asked for this thread to become a sticky.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I'll get the ball rolling...

1) Fix chase play when catching up with live broadcast -- either skip from playing to live broadcast (as seamlessly as possible), or stay in play mode until recording finished. I don't mind which.

2) During chase play the ad skip button should not be locked out when catching up with live broadcast and should skip to real time as above. (This is what happens when you use it while watching paused broadcast.)

3) Buffer really should not be emptied unless necessary. (For example, when recording a channel chase play buffers contents, but when recording finishes buffer is cleared. This should not happen. Beginning of buffer is wiped when instant recording.)

4) Record and timer icons on box display should work properly (REC only displayed when recording. TIMER seems not to always display.)

5) Filenames from scheduled recordings should not be truncated (those from instant recordings are not).

6) Ad skip and replay buttons should work better -- press them too quickly in succession and they stutter instead of skipping/replaying.

7) Can we please have program info for scheduled recordings, the button seems to work but the info is blank.

8) Turn off that recording started message! And please don't blank channels for a second, drop out of guide, etc, when recording starts/stops. Viewing should be as seamless as possible.

9) Buffer current channel while watching recording. (I have a sneaking suspicion that it already does this, but then dumps buffer when you hit stop and return to live broadcast.)

10) Switch on/off subtitles in timeslip. (It works when watching a recording, so why not when paused?)

Of course I am assuming that obvious things will still be fixed (save EPG to HDD, MHEG switch etc).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sort the USB out correctly and the e-linker software, Humax themselves admit it is faulty.

And put the MHEG OFF SWITCH in ASAP, just in case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    To sort the problem with the black screen appearing on channels after leaving the main menu during recording when switching between channels. This seems to be caused by the MHEG service disappearing so if humax are to add the option of turning the MHEG off this could cause even more problems than resolving the problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egrant wrote:
    To sort the problem with the black screen appearing on channels after leaving the main menu during recording something when switching between channels. This seems to be caused by the MHEG service disappearing so if humax are to add the option of turning the MHEG off this could cause even more problems than resolving the problems.

They can even look at this at the same time as the MHEG on/offoption - while they are there!
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    1. At least 100 timers ... to beat the Topfield standard.

2. Make List button on remote list recordings and the button under flap list channels.

3. Increase find results from 100 to 500 or start in date order if 100 can't be increased.

4. When entering Recording list from MENU make NO the confirm delete default instead of YES.

5. MHEG off switch.

6. Day names on guide.

7. In HDD control default action to OK button should be EXIT not FORMAT.

8. Control of disk partition sizes.

9. Choice of number and size of buffers.

10. Multi-playout control for transfering recordings to scart attached device.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I mention sort the USB problem out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong date on repeat recordings - although this might actually be fixed in .06 software.

Slight adjustment to the EPG so that at least 5 channels are on view.

Commercial skip needs a 2 minute option added to the list.

Extending current recording programme by pressing record button while in progress works on instant recordings but not on scheduled ones. Address.

When chase-playing and recording ends do not get thrown out of you current position in the playback.

Allow padding where possible if two tuners allow it rather than drop all padding for consecutive recordings.

Make USB transfers faster.

Put the forward and backward one day at a time function on the guide on the ad skip buttons
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    1) Fix chase play when catching up with live broadcast so you aren't dumped out of viewing

2) Fix ad skip button when in chase play so you aren't dumped out of viewing

3) Turn off the recording started message! And please don't blank channels for a second, drop out of guide, etc, when recording starts/stops. Viewing should be as seamless as possible.

4) Increase number of slots for scheduled recordings to at least 50

5) Add the option to select a "programme starting" reminder (like Sky) from the guide as well as the option of recording programmes selected. We use our 9200 for virtually all viewing (either live or recorded) - this would be a big plus

6) Add weekdays and weekends as options for repeat recordings

7) When giving a recording overlap warning when you try to schedule a new recording make it possible to select one of the existing scheduled recordings listed so the user can go straight to that entry to make alterations or a deletion and then back to the new attempted schedule entry to confirm it. The present method is very clunky and prone to error.

er, that's all folks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wgmorg wrote:
    1. At least 100 timers ... to beat the Topfield standard.

2. Make List button on remote list recordings and the button under flap list channels.

3. Increase find results from 100 to 500 or start in date order if 100 can't be increased.

4. When entering Recording list from MENU make NO the confirm delete default instead of YES.

5. MHEG off switch.

6. Day names on guide.

7. In HDD control default action to OK button should be EXIT not FORMAT.

8. Control of disk partition sizes.

9. Choice of number and size of buffers.

10. Multi-playout control for transfering recordings to scart attached device.

much of this is new features - for wishlist thead. this is to sort out existing issues. Otherwise it will get confusing! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Second press in EPG to edit rather than to delete reservation.
    2) Make the one off recording symbol look more different to daily recording (use a red circle for instance).
    3) speed up guide navigation (Ch +/- buttons should skip 4 channels not 3 at once, left right should skip 2 hours if there isn't another programme visible in that direction. The shortcuts from the time bar shouldn't need green to be pressed first)
    4) Keep last sort (ie time ascending/descending/channel) in results view
    5) Keep favorites list unless manually changed - (IE if you enter a channel number outside the favorites list, or are directed to another channel by interactive service the guide, list, and Ch +/- should still use favorites list not go back to TV/Radio list.)
    6) Enter the time you wish to skip back to during playback from the right not left (IE enter 15 to go to 15 minutes not 0015).
    7) when recordings start/end don't do anything to the programme being watched - IE no message, keep buffer, picture, interactive service going.
    8) Fix the interactive doesn't work after entering the menu bug.
    9) don't show programmes that have aired in search results - or show a symbol on them - like with now on programmes.

I don't think any of those would count as new features. I would have inculded save EPG and show all 8-days but they probably do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    No #1 irritation for me at the moment is the fact that my Yamaha AV amp volume control changes Humax channels if used immediately after a Humax channel up or down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Make USB transfers faster.

What a good idea..................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its all software ... the things you are specifying are equally new features ... and you asked for changes to software!!!
    marcdavis wrote:
    much of this is new features - for wishlist thead. this is to sort out existing issues. Otherwise it will get confusing! :eek:

None of my items are hardware related unlike your USB request.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    Commercial skip needs a 2 minute option added to the list.

Personally I do this: (using skip 1 min, replay 15 sec) Hit skip until program reached, hit replay until ads reached. This can be done very quickly (even quicker if they fixed the stuttering problem I mentioned), and at most you have to watch 15 sec of ads. I think 2 mins would be too much (you'd have to skip back loads, or watch more ads).
    marcdavis wrote:
    Extending current recording programme by pressing record button while in progress works on instant recordings but not on scheduled ones. Address.

Yes, I second this! (I would have added it to mine if I had remembered.) This is good for unexpected delays in programming.

EDIT: Oh, yes, and there is the weird remote control behaviour (NB: this isn't just due to clashes with other remotes, it gets confused when using just the Humax remote on occasions).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4) Keep last sort (ie time ascending/descending/channel) in results view
    5) Keep favorites list unless manually changed - (IE if you enter a channel number outside the favorites list, or are directed to another channel by interactive service the guide, list, and Ch +/- should still use favorites list not go back to TV/Radio list.)

Yes, I second both of these, particularly 5 which is a nuisance when using BBCi channels 301, 302 (and I guess the BB channel 305).

EDIT: There were a lot more things than initially I thought of. I hope we get a chance to post revised lists later!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allow padding where possible if two tuners allow it rather than drop all padding for consecutive recordings. (as Marc said)

Show the day of the week in the EPG

That's all from me! And those are just little things... other than that this box already seems perfect to me! I've not had problems with the USB transfer myself, thankfully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ian_uk wrote:
    Show the day of the week in the EPG

Forgot about this one too. But this should apply to all appearances of dates (EPG, schedule, edit schedule entry, search results, etc)

[Plus I hope they get a weekday option working, but I guess that this counts as a new feature. Marc, any word on this?]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    When a new channel is added to freeview, that the box will detect the new channel and add it by itself, so you don't always have to do a rescan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    i only have one request - a guarantee that I won't lose all my recordings ( a recovery tool would do)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wgmorg wrote:
    None of my items are hardware related unlike your USB request.

Mine are adjusting existing functions - but I admit I am pushing it on a couple :)

USB - Topfield have a turbo mode to increase the speed of USB tranfers - its CPU intensive. Also, I would like to think that its possible to allow the USB device to be presented as a Hi Speed device if the transponder can do both full and hi speed. At least to see if its possible on existing hardware. New hardware requests just arnt realistc / feasible I realise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats all mine are!!!

... 8 & 9 are just control of existing function and 10 is a new function but you did ask for software changes.

Topfield turbo only makes a marginal difference, i.e. is it not ~16-20 instead of 9-12 ... does not achieve Hi-speed 480 that'll only be done by hardware changes.

The other thread should just be killed off now it perhaps no longer exists... this one should replace it.
    marcdavis wrote:
    Mine are adjusting existing functions - but I admit I am pushing it on a couple :)

USB - Topfield have a turbo mode to increase the speed of USB tranfers - its CPU intensive. Also, I would like to think that its possible to allow the USB device to be presented as a Hi Speed device if the transponder can do both full and hi speed. At least to see if its possible on existing hardware. New hardware requests just arnt realistc / feasible I realise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try it - do a news genre search sort it and you'll find that there are no rsults from the news channels - beasue it's just sorting the list of 100 which already had latter channels chopped off.

I'd call that a bug actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Try it - do a news genre search sort it and you'll find that there are no rsults from the news channels - beasue it's just sorting the list of 100 which already had latter channels chopped off.

If you delete the TopUp TV channels (assuming you don't use them) then this reduces the number of items found. Only a partial fix, I know. Plus UKTV Gold seems to classify everything as movie, anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See my item 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wgmorg wrote:
    See my item 2.
    I'm guessing you mean item 3... didn't really understand that first time, but yes reading it again...
    If you delete the TopUp TV channels (assuming you don't use them) then this reduces the number of items found.
    One step ahead of you!