Options

Worst Moments In Classic Who

TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
Forum Member
Well, we've got a thread for the New Series, so maybe one for the Classic Series would be fun as well.

Here are what I would consider the worst moments in Classic Who:

=================

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace shouts 'Don't stop, I don't care' as the UNIT jeep drives past;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy remarks that the missile convoy has a 'graveyard stench';

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy reels off a list of old Who enemies to Brigadier Bambera;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where the knights have a swordfight on the road in front of a bemused Bambera;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace recounts her 'BOOM!' story to Shou Yuing;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace shouts 'who are you calling freaky!' to Bambera;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy boasts to Mordred about his 'mighty arse', and threatens to release a 'terrible something' upon him;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Bambera and Anceyln have a fight on the lawn for no reason;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Mordred laughs insanely and endlessly (and for no reason) as he summons his mother to our universe;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy screams in the pub clutching the sword scabbard, and his subsequent exchange with Morgaine;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where everyone screams as the lights in the pub go out;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy shouts at Ace after she pulls Excalibur out of the stone block;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace emerges from the lake holding the sword aloft in front of Ancelyn and Warmsly;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where the Doctor hypnotises Warmsly and the pub landlord;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ancelyn holds his sword aloft ready to strike Morgaine's knight whilst screaming 'raaaaaah!';

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Bessie leaves a trail of fire as she blazes away...at around 20mph;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace and Shou Yiung argue in the chalk circle, some of the worst acting the show has ever borne witness to in its 45-year history;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy interrupts Ancelyn and Mordred's impending dual, shouting 'there will be no battle here' - correction: *this* is the worst acting the show has ever borne witness to;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy threatens to 'decampitate' Mordred - correction #2: *this* is even worse; McCoy can't even pronounce 'decaptitate' properly!;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy arrives at the pub explosion and grunts 'IF THEY'RE DEAD!';

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy spins himself around when passing through the interstitual vortex;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace shouts 'Geronimo' as she passes through the interstitual vortex;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where the Destroyer does a Hulk Hogan;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace reads the note the Doctor left in Arthur's helmet;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy tips his hat walking past Ancelyn and Mordred;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy wrestles with Morgaine screaming about 'DEATH', 'DEATH GONE MAD', 'HONOUR' and 'MADNESS';

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace jumps around like an idiot on the shore of the lake as the spaceship explodes;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Doris, Ace, Shou and Bambera drive off in Bessie.

Erm, that's about it...

Regards,

Cypher

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You hate Battlefield then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "DOCTOR WHO is required" Wotan from the War Machines

Cringe!!!

Ingrid Pitt in Warriors of the Deep especially the kung fu

"The sound of Giant slugs" The Sixth Doctor from Twin Dilemma
  • Options
    pablopicassopablopicasso Posts: 32,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL@Tim!! :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You hate Battlefield then

I wouldn't say 'Battlefield' 'did it' for me, no...

It was like watching something I loved being beaten repeatedly with a baseball bat, then run over by a car.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come, on....'Kandy man' anyone?

I win the thread.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of 'Horns of the Nimon'.

99% of 'Trial of a Timelord'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    A
    99% of 'Trial of a Timelord'.

Out of interest whats the 1% you like?
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any Doctor Who moment from 1987 to 1989 would pretty much qualify for "worst moment".
  • Options
    Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate O'Mara disguised as Mel (as if the real thing wasn't bad enough) in Time And The Rani.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Come, on....'Kandy man' anyone?

I win the thread.

:cry::cry::cry: Is all I can say:cry::cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SHAFT wrote: »
    All of 'Horns of the Nimon'.

Awwww...spoilsport.

I suppose you could quite rightly accuse 'The Horns Of Nimon' of being guilty of the exact same sort of offences I've listed for 'Battlefield' above.

The difference for me is that, whilst 'Battlefield' tried to be a serious episode of Doctor Who but failed miserably, 'The Horns Of Nimon' had no ambition beyond being a light-hearted, fun adventure. Plus, we had our two leads in the shape of Tom and Lalla charming their way through proceedings in the same exact way that 'Battlefield' didn't.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Master leaving an oh-so-threatening message to the universe on a tape recorder!
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    The human inhabitants of Metebelis 3.

Actually, the neurotic/sexually aroused spiders aren't much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Master leaving an oh-so-threatening message to the universe on a tape recorder!

LOL, yeah, and not forgetting his wonderful speech:

'At last!!!! The CVE!!!! It's mine! (giggle) It's ALL MINE!!!! (giggle, giggle)!!!!'

Poor ol' Ant...

To be fair, how could he be expected to deliver that awful line with any sense of dignity?!

Note to Bidmead: if you're going to put dialogue in your scripts, try coming up with something that people might actually say.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The persecution of gay men by the Happiness Patrol. Gay Pride Marches.
    The Pipe People=Gay Men. Clause 28 hid them from view.
    The Pope figure of the Kandy Man in his Vatican Kitchen.
    The Thatcher figure of Helen A.
    The Fifi Figure of Ronald Reagan.
    Fondant Surprise=unprotected sex leading to HIV.

Boy did I hate that story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    LOL, yeah, and not forgetting his wonderful speech:

'At last!!!! The CVE!!!! It's mine! (giggle) It's ALL MINE!!!! (giggle, giggle)!!!!'

Poor ol' Ant...

To be fair, how could he be expected to deliver that awful line with any sense of dignity?!

Note to Bidmead: if you're going to put dialogue in your scripts, try coming up with something that people might actually say.

Regards,

Cypher

I think the pinnacle was in Castrovalva:

NOOOOOOOOO! My WEB! MIHIHY WEHEHEB! :cry:

It makes "Ah ahlwayz drehz for the occasion" look like Shakespeare.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    Well, we've got a thread for the New Series, so maybe one for the Classic Series would be fun as well.

Here are what I would consider the worst moments in Classic Who:

=================

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace shouts 'Don't stop, I don't care' as the UNIT jeep drives past;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy remarks that the missile convoy has a 'graveyard stench';

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy reels off a list of old Who enemies to Brigadier Bambera;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where the knights have a swordfight on the road in front of a bemused Bambera;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace recounts her 'BOOM!' story to Shou Yuing;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace shouts 'who are you calling freaky!' to Bambera;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy boasts to Mordred about his 'mighty arse', and threatens to release a 'terrible something' upon him;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Bambera and Anceyln have a fight on the lawn for no reason;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Mordred laughs insanely and endlessly (and for no reason) as he summons his mother to our universe;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy screams in the pub clutching the sword scabbard, and his subsequent exchange with Morgaine;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where everyone screams as the lights in the pub go out;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy shouts at Ace after she pulls Excalibur out of the stone block;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace emerges from the lake holding the sword aloft in front of Ancelyn and Warmsly;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where the Doctor hypnotises Warmsly and the pub landlord;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ancelyn holds his sword aloft ready to strike Morgaine's knight whilst screaming 'raaaaaah!';

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Bessie leaves a trail of fire as she blazes away...at around 20mph;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace and Shou Yiung argue in the chalk circle, some of the worst acting the show has ever borne witness to in its 45-year history;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy interrupts Ancelyn and Mordred's impending dual, shouting 'there will be no battle here' - correction: *this* is the worst acting the show has ever borne witness to;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy threatens to 'decampitate' Mordred - correction #2: *this* is even worse; McCoy can't even pronounce 'decaptitate' properly!;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy arrives at the pub explosion and grunts 'IF THEY'RE DEAD!';

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy spins himself around when passing through the interstitual vortex;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace shouts 'Geronimo' as she passes through the interstitual vortex;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where the Destroyer does a Hulk Hogan;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace reads the note the Doctor left in Arthur's helmet;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy tips his hat walking past Ancelyn and Mordred;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where McCoy wrestles with Morgaine screaming about 'DEATH', 'DEATH GONE MAD', 'HONOUR' and 'MADNESS';

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Ace jumps around like an idiot on the shore of the lake as the spaceship explodes;

The bit in 'Battlefield' where Doris, Ace, Shou and Bambera drive off in Bessie.

Erm, that's about it...

Regards,

Cypher

Yawn!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The beginning and end of Nightmare of Eden and everything that happens in-between.
  • Options
    ewarwoowooewarwoowoo Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Worst moments in classic who for me:

The whole of Invasion of the Dinosaurs - terrible, terrible special effects.

The moment in Remeberance of the Daleks, it's 1963 and there's a scene where a BBC announcer is about to announce the start of a brand new science fiction show, never understood the logic of that one.

Peri's departure during Trial of a timelord - she should have had a proper send off.

The Doctor "attacking" Peri in the Twin Dilemma.

Anything involving Bonnie Langford or Candy Men.

The appearance of "Bessie" in Battlefield, suddenly she's gone from WHO 1 to WHO 7.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    Carole Anne Ford 'tripping' over a stone in the Five Doctors and Elizabeth Sladen's supposed 'fall down cliff get rescued by 3rd Doctor' bit. Both contenders for least convincing acting in a long running BBC Sci Fi drama.
    The 4th Doctor throwing the Skarasen its homing device (Here boy, fetch...cringe cringe) in Terror of the Zygons, spoilt an otherwise excellent serial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewarwoowoo wrote: »
    The moment in Remeberance of the Daleks, it's 1963 and there's a scene where a BBC announcer is about to announce the start of a brand new science fiction show, never understood the logic of that one.

I love that scene, don't understand why people get so uptight about it.
  • Options
    ewarwoowooewarwoowoo Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Not uptight, just never liked it! - still my favourite story of the McCoy era though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that scene, don't understand why people get so uptight about it.

because it should be pitch black later than 5pm in november!
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh, there's some real hatred of some of my favourites here!

For me, the worst has the be the crap American film, but that might be considered to be outside "classic" period.

I could suggest things like the Myrka and the plastic door from Warriors of the Deep, but that really makes me chuckle.

Maybe I'll go for The Invisible Enemy: K9 lasering down a chunk of wall which has clearly been pre-sliced and is waiting to fall. Again, that is so good-natrued it makes me smile.

Shada is dreadful. Lazy, self-indulgent writing. universally praised because (1) it was never finished, and (2) Douglas Adams wrote it. There's not nearly enough story for 6 eps. Also, The Armageddon Factor just goes on and on and on and on and bloody on, with hours of wandering round in caves. The Invasion of Time does the same with Tardis corridors.

Yes ... that's it ... I nominate boring and padded 70s six-parters! Those dreadful Pertwee six-parters where the money runs out in part three, and those dreadful Baker six-parters where the script runs out in part four.
  • Options
    TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst bit of Doctor Who was in the opening moments of 'Time And the Rani' when the 6th Doctor regenerated into a clowning, irritating, annoying buffoon played by an 'actor' who is so very un-Doctorish that it would have been better to have cast a blob of phlegm, at least it would have been more pleasurable to watch.