best movie you wouldnt know about

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
Im looking for movies you just wouldnt really know about. Ones that are good just not had any press or buzz about them. Not fussed if its 10yrs old or the genre.

I came across Starred up by chance a month ago and loved it.

So any thoughts would be great

Comments

• sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good thread idea!
    London To Brighton (2006)
    Red (2008)
    One False Move (1992)
    Bound (1996)
    Blue Ruin (2014)
    Super (2010)
    Stuck (2007)
    11:14 (2003)
    King of the Ants (2002)
    The Believer (2001)
    Will be keeping an eye on this thread for some good suggestions...
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Road
    Miracle Mile
    Matango
    The Last Valley
    Dark Country
    The Calling
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    thanks :D checking most of them out now on imdb and rotten toms
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was also about to mention Miracle Mile, 1985...one of the most fascinating, original and quirky films I have ever seen, and quite disturbing in parts too...

Mild spoilers ahead...

Anthony Edwards stars as a guy who is supposed to meet a girl on a date, oversleeps and gets there very late, he hears a phone ringing in a call box, answers it and the guy on the other end is calling from a missile silo, thinking he has called his father, to say war has started and they are launching the missiles...the rest of the film plays out in real time, and it's a kind of 'what would YOU do' in that last-few-hours-on-earth scenario.

It's somewhat dated now, with the nuclear missile/Russia aspect, and a synth score (though being a fan of Tangerine Dream I still like it).

But it's the sheer quirkiness and invention of the whole thing that impresses...it manages to convey a very realistic sense of panic and devastation on a very small budget. The love story angle is also very well handled, and it also focuses on secondary characters and their reaction to and solutions to the problem. Early roles for Denise Crosby, Mykelti Williamson, Jenettte Goldstein, Eddie Bunker, and Brian Thompson.

The set design and camerawork also really make the movie, director Steve De Jarnatt focuses on the more unusual, lesser known aspects of Los Angeles.

Well worth checking out.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be 'too popular', but no harm done.........

Funny Bones (1995) - In Las Vegas the son of a famous comedian 'dies' on stage, flees to his early childhood home of Blackpool in an attempt to find a new act, but finds out a load of stuff about his family. The film is set in 1995, but this Blackpool is a bit surreal, and seems to be partly stuck in the 1960s. Great cast. Not really a comedy, but more a film about comedy and comedians. It doesn't all work, but that hasn't stopped me from re-watching it god knows how many times. Some good music, too. Hell, it's worth seeing just for the sequence where the amateur performers demonstrate their acts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the same vein as Miracle Mile.

Last Night (1998)

A group of people contemplate the end of the world on the last night on earth
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a Korean comedy called Castaway On The Moon which is brilliant. It's about a guy who is suicidal, jumps off a bridge over a river and ends up stranded on a small island in the middle of the river. The only person who knows he's there is a reclusive woman with mental problems who spots him through her telescope and thinks he's some kind of alien.

Sounds weird but it's a great feelgood film.

Or if you want something dark try Frailty (2001) in which Bill Paxton plays a father of two boys who believes God has given him the power to see demons in human form so he can destroy them.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Run Lola Run - Fantastic cinematic thrill ride! Brilliant flic. German film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130827/
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mysterious Skin.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    films i like most people havent seen

seance on a wet afternoon
    photographing faries
    telstar
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a Canadian comedy from 1997 called The Wrong Guy which stars Dave Foley & Jennifer Tilly.It was never released over here & is only available on region 1 dvd.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120536/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two Hands - aussie guy ritchiesque crime caper with a very young Heath Ledger.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the movies I'll mention are unusual, but I had them in my collection when I moved here and my husband hadn't heard of them or seen them:

Kung Fu Hustle
    Shaolin Soccer
    Big Fish (Tim Burton movie without Johnny Depp, amazing right?)
    Thumb Sucker
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 Minutes (2006)
    After Hours (1985)
    And The Band Played On (1993)
    Black Book (2006)
    Dante 01 (2008)
    Dead Presidents (1995)
    Jeff, Who Lives At Home (2011)
    Killing Zoe (1993)
    Last Night (1998)
    Max Manus: Man Of War (2008)
    Nightbreaker (1989)
    Saigon (1988)
    On The Beach (2000)
    Robot & Frank (2012)
    Smoke Signals (1998)
    Splice (2009)
    The Bang Bang Club (2010)
    The Fall (2006)
    The Majestic (2001)
    The Quiet Earth (1985)
    The Waterdance (1992)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    loved robot and frank
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salute of the Jugger (1989) is well worth a watch in my humble opinion.

From IMDB:

A Mad Max-esque post apocalyptic world provides the backdrop for a brutal, futuristic game resembling football. Rutger Hauer plays a disgraced former star leading a rag tag group of "Juggers" to one of the remaining Nine Cities for glory and redemption

It had a theatrical release in the US under the name of "Blood of Heroes" and had about 10 minutes cut I believe so try and catch the full release if possible.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brick
    Office Space
    Threesome (1994)
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Last Detail.

1973, Directed by Hal Ashby, starring Jack Nicholson (literally at his peak here), Otis Young and very young Randy Quaid.

Nicholson (playing the colourfully named Badass Budusky) and Young are Navy MP's detailed to transport Quaid across the state to jail. Quaid's 'crime' was to steal 40 dollars from a charity box, and gets 8 years and dishonourable discharge. Unluckily for him the charity was the Admirals wife's favourite charity.

What transpires next is basically a road-movie, with Young and Nicholson determined to shown the naïve young Quaid a good time before he gets sent down.

It was notable at the time for the amount of excessive swearing, but though it has moments of bleakness and cynicism, it also has moments of great pathos and above all humour.

And it's a role Nicholson was simply born to play - he just oozes that natural charm and charisma. But Quaid is no slouch either in one of his first roles.
  • ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the below list, didnt see much of them advertised

Dead Mans Curve
    Idle Hands
    Frailty
    The Illusionist
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm restricting this list to some lesser known or forgotten military murder investigation / military courtroom films with a note on the military's nationality in each film:

King and Country (1964) - British (watch this to see why Tom Courtenay was one of the best in his generation. Dirk Borgade was good, too.)
    Crossfire (1947) - American
    A Soldier's Story (1984) - American
    Breaker Morant (1980) - Australian
    The Address (a.k.a. Melvilasam) (2011) - Indian
    Carrington V.C. (a.k.a. Court Martial) (1954) - British
    Paths of Glory (1957) - French
    Sacco and Vanzetti (1971) - Italian
    The Execution of Private Slovik (1974) - American

Maybes:
    JSA: Joint Security Area (2000) - South Korean (it's now badly dated)
    The Guard Post (2008) - South Korean (messy, but the structure of the mystery aspect is quite intriguing)
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nurse 3D. This has to be seen simply for the staggeringly awful performance of Paz de la Huerta.:o
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deathtrap
    Body Double
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine are a mixture of films which are good but you just might not have seen.

Harold And Maude
    The Incredible Shrinking Man
    Timecrimes
    13 Tzameti

The last two are subtitled (Do not watch the dubbed nor the Hollywood remake versions whatever you do - they are very bad).

The Incredible Shrinking Man starts off and you will think it is a routine 50s Bmovie, but then you will change that opinion, a lot.

These films, like all others, are far better watched knowing nothing about them and forming your own views. This is particularly true of 13 Tzameti which anyone telling you about it will wreck with major spoilers - this is even true if you buy the DVD and look at the cover, rather like Planet Of The Apes.