Season 17: general discussion

Comments

• andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    The only 2 celebs I know quite well are Valerie Harper and Jack Osbourne.

And then there is this Snooki girl that I've seen pic from Daily Mail just because you can't escape her being shove down readers throats by DM.

The rest are just complete aliens to me...don't have a slightest clue who they are at all!

I just think it's extremely poor casting this year obviously only catered for US audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member

And then there is this Snooki girl that I've seen pic from Daily Mail just because you can't escape her being shove down readers throats by DM.

The rest are just complete aliens to me...don't have a slightest clue who they are at all!

I just think it's extremely poor casting this year obviously only catered for US audience.

On the flip side of that...you get to form an organic opinion of the each team. Not based on anything other that what you see each week. That could be a good thing:D
    Forum Member
    I can't wait for tonight. The anticipation is killing me! I saw a clip on GMA this morning which showed a few of the couples dancing. Amber looked great....very sassy. Corbin & Karina's contemporary looks really good from what I saw as well. Bill Nye was cute...he was moving...bad posture but very cute.

Can't wait to see Elizabeth & Val. So far I think he's done an amazing job choreographing in this style which is not his forte. I've really loved his past routines. Can't wait to see what he's come up with tonight. Also can't wait to see Snooki. If she's last...it must be for a reason!
    Forum Member
    edy10 wrote: »
    Snooki and Sasha getting the pimp spot :confused: Really Interesting . She must be really good :).
    I really hope that people get to know her and see how much she has changed for the better. I cant stand Sasha like Ive already said but I'm going to root for them just because I like her ; I want her to do well and I also want her to prove those naysayers wrong :cool:.

Everyone deserves a second chance :)

Just curious....what's your issue with Sasha? I might have missed your reason if you stated it upthread? I wasn't sure if you didn't like his dance style (all the backflips) or him as a person? Just curious because I just basically know him from the snippets I see when he was in the troupe and 1 interview he did for Afterbuzz TV. I know he's dating Emma (who seems like a sweetheart). Maybe I missed something?
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's very good casting. Probably one of the best. Of course it caters to a US audience. Who else would you expect it to? I know when I look at the SCD lineups out of curiousity, I have no idea who 99,9% of the people are.
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scores so far
    Brant and Peta 22 (7,8,7)
    Leah and Tony 21 (7,7,7)
    Corbin and Karina 24 (8,8,8)
    Jack and Cheryl 23 (8,8,7)
    Amber and Derek 27 (9,9,9)
    Elizabeth and Val 24 (8,8,8)
    Bill N and Tyne 14 (5,4,5)
    Keyshawn and Sharna 17 (6,5,6)
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scores
    Brant and Peta 22 (7,8,7)
    Leah and Tony 21 (7,7,7)
    Corbin and Karina 24 (8,8,8)
    Jack and Cheryl 23 (8,8,7)
    Amber and Derek 27 (9,9,9)
    Elizabeth and Val 24 (8,8,8)
    Bill N and Tyne 14 (5,4,5)
    Keyshawn and Sharna 17 (6,5,6)
    Christina and Mark 22 (7,7,8)
    Bill E and Emma 18 (6,6,6)
    Valerie and Tristan 21 (7,7,7)
    Snooki and Sasha 23 (8,8,7)
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plesantly surprised at Brant, Jack and Amber

New record for Derek :cool:.

Didint care about Elisabeth and Val's contemporary; my least favourite of the night .

I thought that Bill the science guy was severely undermarked :(:mad::mad::mad: and Christina and Mark too.

Valerie and Tristan brought me to tears :cry::cry:

I think that Snooki was slightly undermarked , urghhh.
    Forum Member
    That went by sooo fast...Rankings & Thoughts

27 Amber & Derek - she was great. She did an awesome cha cha. Not a fan of 9's in week 1 (where do you go from there?) Anywho - kind of generous relative to the everyone else tonight.

24 Corbin & Karina - She did a nice job having never choreographed contemporary before. Corbin moved amazingly. I was VERY nervous on that lift b/c he was shaking a bit. Relieved they pulled it off. Scores seem appropriate.

24 Elizabeth & Val - loved it. Really played to her strengths. Cool seeing some new moves in that routine that I hadn't seen before on the show. Scores are appropriate.

23 Jack & Cheryl - He was much more into it than I thought he would be. Really looked like he was having fun. Scores a tad bit high considering Snooki got the same score and I think she was better technically.

23 Snooki & Sasha - She was great. Really into it and I was MOST impressed with her technique. She really sold it. Scores apporpriate.

22 Christina & Mark - Scores should have been a little bit higher or at least equal to Snooki. I'm not sure if Christina "get's" Mark's funky choreo but you have to commit 100% to sell it. Thought his style for contemporary was similar to the routine with Aly last season. Of the 3 contemp. I think I prefer Karina & Val's choreographic approach to the routine.

22 Brant & Peta - Scores too high! He was kind of stiff and I was not so blown away that I thouht he deserved an 8? Christina was better so I thought they shouldn't have the same scores.

21 Leah & Tony - a bit slow. She just needs to relax a bit. I thought Valerie's was actually technically stronger so I'd put Valerie ahead of Leah.

21 Valerie & Tristan - She really is light on her feet. You can tell she is a dancer.

18 Bill E. & Emma - I REALLY enjoyed this routine. He looked like he was having fun and he moved well. I thought he had some tricky choreo in there that wasn't appreciated. Scores too low.

17 Keyshawn & Sharna - I don't see alot of natural rhythm with him. The football fans will only take you so far. Past winners like Emmit Smith could really dance well. Scores appropriate.

14 Bill Nye & Tyne - Fun & Funny. He moves somewhat awkardly but I think he'll be much better in the ballroom dances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valc_fan wrote: »
    Just curious....what's your issue with Sasha? I might have missed your reason if you stated it upthread? I wasn't sure if you didn't like his dance style (all the backflips) or him as a person? Just curious because I just basically know him from the snippets I see when he was in the troupe and 1 interview he did for Afterbuzz TV. I know he's dating Emma (who seems like a sweetheart). Maybe I missed something?

Camera-hogging, too full of himself, annoying lol. But I like Snooki so I want them to go far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christina and Mark had the best contemporary of the night imo; seamless, the routine flowed but yet they scored a 22 :confused:
    Considering some of the scores tonight, they were really underscored imo. But its cool because they wont be too much ringer backlash and it gives them a chance to grow .
    They also scored Bill the Science guy too severely imo . It was not that bad.

The opening number of the serie is exactly like Strictly lol.

Very pleased for Derek and Amber; I didn't expected her to be this good. I sometimes have a hate and love relationship with him but you cant deny that this guy cater to his partner's strengths and that he is an amazing choreographer :cool:; The best in this show IMO .

I cannot wait to see the interviews tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    edy10 - I like Christina....I want her to get all the way on board with the Mark Ballas train though. She had this look on her face in their package like she was uncertain. I think this season Mark will bring out that funky different choreo that is totally him....but I want Christina to go for it and not be scared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    BIB He really has a very big fanbase (even I was surprised :eek: ) so I think that he may outlast a few of the good dancers this season even if he is not an amazing dancer.

I predict quite a few shocking eliminations this season:cool:

Bill Nye is our childhood for a lot lot of us. Bill Nye The Science Guy used to be a huge show. I watched it every single Saturday morning when I was a little kid and even at school they would show us Bill Nye videos. I can still remember the theme song. Bill will definitely get the nostalgia vote.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed the new format, lot less faffing about.

Thought Amber and Derek were the best in terms of routine, content, and dancing.

Christina and Mark were my next favourite, but thought Christina was holding something back at times didn't look totally committed to the routine. Thought their routine was over too quickly and partly obscured by the smoke machine in overdrive.:D

Lol Sasha still has to have low cut, even with his dj on, hope you averted your eyes Soupy. Snooki a bit stiff hipped in parts but sold her dance.

Bill N was my least favourite looked awkward and a bit strange, but gave it a good effort.

Peta and Sharna were overdancing to try and disguise, their partners. Brant was quite stiff but was better than Keyshawn who doing a lot less dancing, while Sharna did a lot of the work.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol Sasha still has to have low cut, even with his dj on, hope you averted your eyes Soupy.

:rolleyes:

Not had time yet, so this pleasure still awaits.....

...but thanks for the warning :p
    Forum Member
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Not had time yet, so this pleasure still awaits.....

...but thanks for the warning :p

Lol well on the plus side it wasn't quite as low a neckline as the dreaded cardis:rolleyes::D:D
  • sweetmisssweetmiss Posts: 3,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina and Brant are my favs but i fear they will be overlooked... Loving Snooki, Eliz,Corbin and Amber too.
    Forum Member
    sweetmiss wrote: »
    Christina and Brant are my favs but i fear they will be overlooked... Loving Snooki, Eliz,Corbin and Amber too.

Yes I like Christina and Brant he has a really sweet personality think he will really improve over the weeks, he is at a different starting point to others that have some dance experience. Really liking Amber and Derek partnership too and Karina and Corbin. I'm still a bit ambivalent towards Snooki and Elizabeth, but it's early days yet.

https://twitter.com/GleeIsAllINeed/status/380001287607451648/photo/1
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it. My thoughts for this series with y'all.

Brent - Overmarked IMO and I got Sean Lowe vibes. He is hot but just boring. Also I thought the cha cha was too hip hop not my fave choreography from Peta.

Leah - I kind of forgot about her throughout the show so that's not a good sign =/ however she did a good effort but I thought it was not the most flowing of foxtrots I have seen.

Corbin - I don't like contemporary and this was no exception. However I think Corbin shows potential and Kristina is a great partner. Next weeks Jive should be good. The dance looked quite awkward in parts for me.

Jack - I love the Osbornes and I really like Jack. He done so well and was one of the best foxtrots I felt. However, his turning was slightly off at times but I hope he keeps it up.

Amber - Loved it. However, OMG how many times do we have to see the Glee cast in the audience they got more views than Jennifer Lopez LOL. She did well, seriously over marked for night 1. Three 9 points is ridiculous. The dance did have flaws.

Elizabeth - I sadly just lost attention when she was on and made another cup of tea LOL :o Nice lady but I think she is going to be out by week 5 I think. As for her dance it was easily the best of the contemporary style.

Bill Nye - Such a hot mess I completely loved it and played it again. Really hilarious and it was the spark the show needed to spice it up cause everyone else was so boringly good. Nice to see Judges get unleashed. Hope he stays for a few weeks.

Keyshawn - Horrific. Just a bad dancer with no spark or charm that Bill N had previously. My worst of the night. He is in danger of being the first out if the NFL don't vote in their hundreds.

Cristina - Forgettable performance for me. However I think that's just Contemporary (Why do they have this style its just not entertaining or beautiful as the other dances I feel =/) She will hopefully improve otherwise she is out.

Bill E - Bad song choice for a foxtrot but he seems like a good personality so wonder how he will handle the Jive. Not looking good for him though.

Valerie - She had me in tears too :( love her. Hope she does well. Best female foxtrot and was very classy and elegant. Good posture.

Snooki - She did really well for the first dance, it was a good Cha cha. I was surprised.

Overall I like Amber / Jack as my best dancers.

Bill Nye was comic value I loved it and Valerie has my heart. Really supporting her and her story. Such an inspiration.

Dislike Keyshawn as he was the worst overall for me.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valc_fan wrote: »
    That went by sooo fast...Rankings & Thoughts

27 Amber & Derek - she was great. She did an awesome cha cha. Not a fan of 9's in week 1 (where do you go from there?) Anywho - kind of generous relative to the everyone else tonight.

24 Corbin & Karina - She did a nice job having never choreographed contemporary before. Corbin moved amazingly. I was VERY nervous on that lift b/c he was shaking a bit. Relieved they pulled it off. Scores seem appropriate.

24 Elizabeth & Val - loved it. Really played to her strengths. Cool seeing some new moves in that routine that I hadn't seen before on the show. Scores are appropriate.

23 Jack & Cheryl - He was much more into it than I thought he would be. Really looked like he was having fun. Scores a tad bit high considering Snooki got the same score and I think she was better technically.

23 Snooki & Sasha - She was great. Really into it and I was MOST impressed with her technique. She really sold it. Scores apporpriate.

22 Christina & Mark - Scores should have been a little bit higher or at least equal to Snooki. I'm not sure if Christina "get's" Mark's funky choreo but you have to commit 100% to sell it. Thought his style for contemporary was similar to the routine with Aly last season. Of the 3 contemp. I think I prefer Karina & Val's choreographic approach to the routine.

22 Brant & Peta - Scores too high! He was kind of stiff and I was not so blown away that I thouht he deserved an 8? Christina was better so I thought they shouldn't have the same scores.

21 Leah & Tony - a bit slow. She just needs to relax a bit. I thought Valerie's was actually technically stronger so I'd put Valerie ahead of Leah.

21 Valerie & Tristan - She really is light on her feet. You can tell she is a dancer.

18 Bill E. & Emma - I REALLY enjoyed this routine. He looked like he was having fun and he moved well. I thought he had some tricky choreo in there that wasn't appreciated. Scores too low.

17 Keyshawn & Sharna - I don't see alot of natural rhythm with him. The football fans will only take you so far. Past winners like Emmit Smith could really dance well. Scores appropriate.

14 Bill Nye & Tyne - Fun & Funny. He moves somewhat awkardly but I think he'll be much better in the ballroom dances.

My only change in places would be to put Jack & Cheryl above Elizabeth and Val, really wasn't a fan of their number although she danced it well and she has far more dance experience to work with. Also thought Nicole (Snooki) had wonderful hip action in her Cha Cha Cha and really good foot placement, she looked and moved brilliantly.