Options

RIP Jimmy Savile

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Jimmy

Met him a few times while my dad was in Stoke Mandeville spinal unit and he was always lovely and had so much time for the patients in the unit which probably wouldn't be there without him (the unit and the patients).
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member

Dear Jim.

Please can you fix it for one to meet Frank "y'know what I mean, 'arry?" Bruno? :cool: One really hopes this can be arranged as blood sports are a favourite pursuit and it's on the Establishment grapevine that you have already 'fixed' it for Peter Sutcliffe to meet the aforementioned pugilist. :eek:

Your loyal servant,

HRH Charles.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Sir James. It was so nice how you got my two broken arms fixed at Stoke Mandeville.

All the Best
    Sarah Cornley
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave1979 wrote: »
    I used to love watching Jim'll Fix it in the 80's but looking back some of them were so naff! They couldn't do it nowadays as the cost of the kids requests would be astronomical! Simpler times!

I see the jokes have started although this one did raise a smile and I am sure the man himself would have laughed:

Jimmy Savile's family are naturally devastated by his death, however they have been comforted somewhat by Cash4Gold's kind offer to pay for his cremation.

I wish people would stop cracking Jimmy Saville jokes. That means you, and you, and you! ;)
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I wish people would stop cracking Jimmy Saville jokes. That means you, and you, and you! ;)

Now then, now then!
  • Options
    RadiodjmusicRadiodjmusic Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    You either loved him or hated him but he was a one off, unique broadcaster.....r.i.p. Sir Jimmy.............
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimmy Saville the professional wrestler.

Friends with Kenny Everett & The Beatles, is he on the cover of Sgt Pepper?

On first hearing of the cause of death of Elvis Presley, Sir Jimmy said "Elvis was not a junky" and he had met him.

He also qualified for membership of Mensa.

What a guy, most (including me) were in awe of him. Plenty for others to learn from his life.

Au Revoir Sir Jimmy Saville.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one hated him. Rest in peace Sir Jimmy.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ink171 wrote: »
    No-one hated him. Rest in peace Sir Jimmy.

Certain people in Jersey might disagree with you.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just noticed. His surname had one 'l'.

Not two. I always thought it was two.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    Very sad. Also a bit sad that the mods chose to move this from the Broadcasting section to the radio one. Jimmy was more than just a DJ - he was a British broadcasting treasure who maybe was first known as a DJ but moved out into the wider world of TV and then did a hell of a lot of charity work. RIP. Proud to use my 4000th post to celebrate his life. How's about that then?!

OK it's actually in the Showbiz section - fair enough.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange, I passed his cottage a few minutes before I heard the news bulletin and was thinking how I have not seen him around there for some time.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad. Also a bit sad that the mods chose to move this from the Broadcasting section to the radio one. Jimmy was more than just a DJ - he was a British broadcasting treasure who maybe was first known as a DJ but moved out into the wider world of TV and then did a hell of a lot of charity work. RIP. Proud to use my 4000th post to celebrate his life. How's about that then?!

This thread's in Showbiz. :confused:
  • Options
    Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Very sad to hear about this. RIP.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,217
    Forum Member
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Just been reminded....Clunk click every trip.
    A man of many causes

He also did that British Rail ad 'this is the age of the train'. We won't see his like again-wrestler and a former Bevan Boy too.RIP
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was very shocked to hear this ,jimmy saville you have been a great broadcaster & will be very sadly missed RIP my good friend:cry::cry:
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In about 1972 or 1973 I went to a nightclub in Bournemouth in which Jimmy Savile had a financial stake. (Le Cardinal in Glen Fern Road for anyone who is interested - Maison Royale was another club associated with it).

In the entrance lobby were a film crew of about 10 people who were making a TV ad with JImmy. I was asked if I would like to appear in it and agreed.

I was filmed buying an admission ticket and receiving Green Shield Stamps with my purchase. Ridiculous idea!

Jimmy kept on calling me Superstar...my one and only claim to fame.

I never saw the completed ad because it was to be aired in the north of England. My fee? Absolutely nothing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved bim so much. sorry an idiot decided to ude my Laptop.
    He is no longer in my PLace.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,217
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Sky had Mike Read on the phone doing the " Now Then" impressions :D News will wheel in all the ex radio 1DJ's now.

Did anyone appear on Jimmy Fix It shows?

He was going to be 85 on Monday..

This guy out of the Grumbleweeds,Robin.did the best impression of him I've seen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsD6Uzq4uk
  • Options
    gazmatgazmat Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    RIP Sir Jim'll. You pioneered club DJing and brightened up my childhood Saturday evenings. Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    A couple of years ago my cousin told me that she's related to him. Strange thing it has always seemed really obvious since she said that but I didn't notice it before
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Jimmy. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    DLT was live on Sky News in a Radio studio in Aylesbury. Which station is that?

Our local radio is mix96 in Aylesbury
  • Options
    Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Savile's Travels and Mr Roving Mike anyone?

RIP Jimmy
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did he still have his cottage in Glencoe?