connection problem

I have a toshiba TV with 3 scarts, Video recorder with 2 scarts & a Sky box. I am buying a DVD recorder. I want to record onto DVD form Sky, Playback from DVD recorder and Playback from the Video recorder. Also record From Video recorder to DVD recorder. Can anybody help me with the connections. Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you want most recording options (VCR-DVD, Sky-DVD) etc, everything will need to be on the same 'chain', eg. SCART leads linking everything in series, into 1 SCART on the TV - use AV1 on the TV as this is most likely to be RGB-enabled. Assuming everything allows RGB-loopthrough, they can more or less go in any order, but sod's law says something won't so it gets complicated.

I would suggest TV>Sky>DVDr>VCR as the first one to try. Make sure the SCART marked 'TV' (or AV1 etc) on each device is on the TV side, and then try everything out that you want to do. It's a case of trial-and-error really, be careful not to bend the pins on the SCART plugs when you move the plugs around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Thanks I`m still a bit confued but I`ll give it a try
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    RedEarth is wrong about the order. Start with Sky box as the first source. Then everything "downstream" will be able to record.

Sky output to VCR input.
    VCR output to DVD recorder input
    DVD recorder output to TV input.

With that order (assuming everything passes through the signals) the VCR will be able to record Sky, the DVD recorder will be able to record both Sky and the VCR and the TV will be able to view all three. You may run into problems though since the video will only handle (at best) s-video, and may not pass through RGB (which is what the TV, Sky and likely the DVD recorder will use). This is further complicated by the fact that one of the pins used by s-video on SCART is the same as one of the pins used by RGB on SCART.

Actually, a better solution would be to get a SCART switcher. The problem with "chaining" devices as above is, for example, if you were copying a tape to DVD, you wouldn't be able to watch Sky while the copying was in progress.

Choosing a SCART switch isn't simple either, as there aren't many that handle RGB correctly and none that I know of that can cope with two devices capable of recording, one RGB and one s-video. You'd need at least two switches to give you full flexibility (so you could record from anything to anything while watching something else at the same time).

Or resort to low quality UHF (through the aerial) connections.

Graeme
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Many Thanks. Doesn`t life get complicated. DVD recorder not coming until this weekend so I have time to think things out. I suppose the simple but not very satisfactoty answer would be to plug in the devices I want to use at any particular time & then unplug