Options

Do Men Drink WKD Blue??

Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,011
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We've all seen the funny adverts of blokes doing laddish things and then we see them all in the pub at the end of the advert drinking the above. I don't know one bloke who would ever drink this rubbish and lads at work and socially all say they would laugh if one of their mates ordered it. Is their advertising campaign targeting the wrong audience as I'd have thought this drink would be quite popular with the ladies??

That is not a sexist comment by the way.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    The only people I really see drinking alco pops are women and those young, impressionable boys who have clearly just turned 18 and normal drinks are too hard for them to drink all night.

The advertising is just trying to make the drink more appealing to men, who probably buy more alcohol.
  • Options
    cologycology Posts: 1,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've drunk it on occasion. Not a particularly nice drink.
  • Options
    ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    We've all seen the funny adverts of blokes doing laddish things and then we see them all in the pub at the end of the advert drinking the above. I don't know one bloke who would ever drink this rubbish and lads at work and socially all say they would laugh if one of their mates ordered it. Is their advertising campaign targeting the wrong audience as I'd have thought this drink would be quite popular with the ladies??

I've never seen ANYONE drink it.... I have seen, however, half empty bottles of the stuff abandoned in the local cemetery
  • Options
    SmeggypantsSmeggypants Posts: 16,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »

not intentionally no, but it is sexist :)

I'm a straight bloke in his 40s and I Like drinking WKD blue now and again. I find it quite refreshing and a nice change from the usual beer and wine I normally drink.

The 'lads at work and socially' need to be real men and not come up with silly macho nonsense.

reminds me of an anecdote....

A mate of mine works on building sites as a chippy. Building sites are well known for silly macho culture.

One hot day we pulled into a garge to get some drinks. I came back with a "diet coke" - He looked at me and shrieked "Diet Coke" in a high voice! As if to say "what are you drinking diet coke for?

I guessed what was going on and I said to him "I bet people get called a poofter for drinking Diet Coke on building sites?"

"Yup" he replied. :)

:rolleyes::D
  • Options
    SmeggypantsSmeggypants Posts: 16,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ludovica wrote: »
    I've never seen ANYONE drink it.... I have seen, however, half empty bottles of the stuff abandoned in the local cemetery

Perhaps you get a few free bottles at the gates of St Peter? :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked in Magaluf this year and I was surprised by the amount of men and boys who drink alcopops.
  • Options
    ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you get a few free bottles at the gates of St Peter? :D:D
    Meaning what exactly?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,392
    Forum Member
    I do... :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought there was a homoerotic edge to the adverts, the old ones anyway. Men getting naked with men and drinking WKD.

Feel hot now. :o
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not on it's own, but on a night out we usually have a few Cheeky Vimtos (Shot of port + bottle of WKD Blue in a pint glass with ice)

Gorgeous drink, and it's too nice so after you have 1 you always end up having a few more :D
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I know quite a few guys who drink it. Mind you it is after a few beers usually. Probably cos they want spirits but its handier to have a bottle in a busy club.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i drink it but cant say i liked it all that much
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm a straight bloke in his 40s and I Like drinking WKD blue now and again. I find it quite refreshing and a nice change from the usual beer and wine I normally drink.

The 'lads at work and socially' need to be real men and not come up with silly macho nonsense.

A mate of mine works on building sites as a chippy. Building sites are well known for silly macho culture.

One hot day we pulled into a garge to get some drinks. I came back with a "diet coke" - He looked at me and shrieked "Diet Coke" in a high voice! As if to say "what are you drinking diet coke for?

I guessed what was going on and I said to him "I bet people get called a poofter for drinking Diet Coke on building sites?"

I couldn't agree with you more about the bizarre (IMO) attitude that you can tell how "real" a man is by what he drinks or by whether he wears eau de cologne or aftershave. I'm amazed that people in the 21st century still continue to believe this neanderthal nonsense.

Here's my view - if you have the correct male chromosone set and no desire to have a a sex change - drinking WKD will not make you a woman. If you are insecure enough to think your choice of drink lessens your masculinity it's time for some serious thinking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which is why Coca Cola brought out Coke Zero - which is exactly the same as Diet Coke but marketed to be acceptable to impressionable 'macho' men.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bevheth wrote: »
    Which is why Coca Cola brought out Coke Zero - which is exactly the same as Diet Coke but marketed to be acceptable to impressionable 'macho' men.

Strange.............my wife drinks zero and not diet.......is there something I should know? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From time to time, I strawpedo them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bevheth wrote: »

I'm sure that's not the only reason...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have drunk it but it's not my first choice, more of a fallback if I don't like the look of anything else.
  • Options
    vitaminzvitaminz Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I love WKD - Tbh I think lager is disgusting (From what I've tried anyway), plus 2-3 WKD's is enough to get me drunk :o

My friends, and often barmen joke about me being a girl always drinking that, but hey I think it's great :)
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a guy and love WKD/Smirnoff Ice! It's the only thing I drink when I'm out, though partially because I HATE beer/lager so it's the only thing available really.

Although lately I've started drinking VK Vodka [Red/Blue] - and a few of the clubs I've been too, I've seen a majority of men also drinking them...

What's the difference between being seen dead with a WKD Blue and a VK bottle? They're practically the same!
  • Options
    pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was at work, a friend always used to have a few pints, then finish them off with a blue WKD. I often used to ask for a straw for him as well if I ordered it for him!
  • Options
    _Kazama_TTT_Kazama_TTT Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely f-ing hate the taste of beer/lager and would drink a WKD blue anyday over it. I don't particularly like the taste of them though, I'd much prefer a proper shot of vodka with some orange juice or lemonade or something... also red wine is pretty nice. I drink what I like.
  • Options
    FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go to a rock club where WKD was the cheapest drink at aroun £1.50 a bottle, so I drank it because of that.

When we were around 15 we used to buy WKD because it was the cheapest, decent tasting booze available in the local Netto!

I don't drink it often now though, as it takes quite a few to make me tipsy.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I'll only drink real ale, scrumpy, red wine and cognac. I tried that blue stuff once and it was like sickly sweet bubblegum....bleurgh!